• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

April Fool's Day '09: A Retrospective

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Link to original post: [drupal=1390]April Fool's Day '09: A Retrospective[/drupal]

I think all of us who logged onto SmashBoards on the first of April found a surprise waiting. I had heard about April Fool's from last year...I didn't entirely remember what I'd heard, but I remembered it was some basic, semi-subtle pranks. I expected the same sort of thing this year.

I had had a sort of tiring day on March 31st, so I was ready to go to bed a little after 11 EST. As I was getting into bed, I remembered one last thing so I pulled out my iPod Touch, opened up Safari, and went to check it. I entered the most recently posted in blog, "This is just too trippy" and...wait, GREEN? What names are green? It was then that I realized that the name colors had been changed. I had been thinking of April Fool's so I almost immediately realized what it was. I started looking at some of the blogs and such and was trying to really look at everything, until I got fed up with trying to do everything on my Touch and pulled out my laptop again. Getting to bed at eleven? That ship had sailed, by far.

I began to post in the thread and flip through the replies to see reactions and such, and we noticed that Debaters and Directors lacked a color change. Shortly after we noted this, of course, the unknown force changing everything changed the colors so that combined, they looked like this; Debaters brown, regular members green, BRoomers red, Smash BRoomers gray, Mods yellow, SMods blue, Admins pink, Directors white, Smash Researchers with a blue-gray color, and Writers with the default orange.

We were all fairly surprised with this, but while looking at the collection of online users, we noticed...wait, a whole line of "Mic_"s? Apparently, most of the mods had changed their names to "Mic_#", in this manner. Of course, this mindgamed just about everyone, although we figured out a few. We also noticed that they had made a thread, further mindgaming us. Now, it looks perfectly normal; but imagine it with every moderator having their name as "Mic_#."

That section of confusion was short-lived, though; soon Straked linked to someone's profile, which looked like this:

Of course, all of the User Blogs regulars knew of Maxfire and his...good grammars (if you don't, refer to "The Don'ts of Blogging" and look at the links under the "Maxfire" portion.) Sure enough, he was back as an Admin; surely an April Fool's joke, but epic nonetheless. Kinzer summed it up QUITE well: "OMG, Maxfire is an admin now, he doesn't NEED to report you to the staffs now!"

At this point us User Blogs regulars all put that picture (or one similar) as our signatures.

Also at this point, the Smash Directors' title had been changed to "WHAT NOW, BLUE NAMES?!" Somewhere also around this time, Smash Researchers got the title of "lol i wanted a cyan name".

Another discovery occurred at this point; the posting of five pictures, showing a post of Maxfire's from a place currently not viewable to the regular members. Later, it was re-posted in the Pool Room and we were told by Cashed that it was from the Forum Disputes. The thread is here.

I discovered a post myself in the Mic thread; another Maxfire-ism.

At this time, the Debaters' title had been changed to Internet Arguer, and shortly after Spadefox noticed a rather funny title change for the Smash BRoomers; in particular, for Mew2King.

Of course, as much fun as I was having in this pure excitement I had to call it a night eventually, and revelations were beginning to slow down so I felt secure to get some sleep at the moment. The evening is easily summed up by this collaboration of screenshots, courtesy finalark. To see them all broken up, go here. Seriously, major props to finalark, it sums it up perfectly.

The next day I checked SmashBoards and noticed everything pretty much the same. Azua posted a few times and had apparently made some...modifications,
. (Screenshot courtesy Spadefox.)

Some people at this point were sure it was over; after all, look at how much had happened the night before! Others were still convinced the best(/worst, depending on how you look at it) was still to come. I was in the middle; I expected more, but not too much more.

I was wrong.

In the afternoon, I checked back to see...wait, Pliskin II?! I had to do some searching around to figure out who it was; turns out it was Teran.

At the same time, I noticed the colors had changed again (screenshot courtesy Spadefox), so I was left to decipher them yet again. Regular members crimson, Directors yellow, Smash Researchers a green-brown color, Debaters cyan, Smash BRoomers pink, Mods gray, and Admins a cold blue color.

I like blue so I took note that I liked my new cyan aloud. At the same time, in my natural habit, I looked on the pessimistic side and made a joke about how now the names were probably going to be swapped.

They were.

Because of this, I assume, the Debaters' titles were split up; some of them were still Internet Arguers, others had the title of:

Blames Firus.

And the Directors had their title changed somewhere around here to "Blame Barge".

Mith_ in particular had his title changed to...well;

(Screenshot courtesy Spadefox.)
Mine was changed to

(Again, courtesy Spadefox.)

A few Admins also got their names changed to having "MLG_" in front of their name, which spawned quite a few jokes, such as; "YOU HAVE MLG_ IN YOUR NAME WHY ARE YOU POSTING
", from Mith_.

Some Mods, SMods, and Admins also had fun with their official title, like this. (Screenshot from Spadefox.)

The
ness around this time made me think of using my Pokemon spriting skills to contribute, so I made a line of
sprites. (If you want to see them, scour the threads or you can see them all collected as one near the top of my sprites in The Custom Pokemon Shop.)

Yet another color change.

Throughout the day, the color themes continued to change. Eventually, they weaned off into monotone themes, until eventually...the colors were removed, bit by bit, and returned to normal. Of course, at the end we all figured out that it was basically Azua single-handedly taking care of the entire thing.

A sidenote to take:
The Writers never have gotten their color to change, and the members that are depicted sky blue on Firus' userlist are those which are banned and therefore had no user color. In the original black SWF-color theme, they were grey.
Honestly, it doesn't seem completely logical, but this was the best April Fool's Day I've ever had. Most years there's some big news prank, some sort of phony thing; a trick. I dislike most tricks because...well, I don't take very lightly to tricks, they usually just annoy me. Most of the time the only person that finds them funny is the other person.

This year, though, the only April Fool's action was really the changing of titles and colors. Not really a big deal, in all actuality, which is why it's not entirely sensible that it was such an amazing day. But thinking about it today, my mind quickly jumped to the reason why it was so great.

It was all of you.

The User Blogs regulars. If I had just seen colors and watched everything change on my own on the front page, it wouldn't have been anything. Heck, without Straked's help who knows how long it would've taken us to notice that Maxfire was brought back? Without Spadefox's help I would likely have missed that the Smash BRoomers were re-titled "Smash Scrubs". We needed each other to notice everything, for one.

Beyond that, without being able to just laugh about everything together, it wouldn't have been the same at all.

As such, I want to thank everyone.

Thanks Mith_, Straked, Kinzer, Skrah, timssu, godsmith, finalark, Spadefox, Teran, SuSa(/Havokk), Jimnymebob, The Dinkoman, and anyone I forgot who stuck with the "This is just too trippy" thread and made it really enjoyable. Thank you, those of you who popped in there a few times.

Thanks for the mods for having a great sense of humor. Thanks to Jam in particular to going easy on infractions throughout the day due to the occasion.

Thanks to Maxfire for his great grammars. Keep on reporting things to the staffs, buddy.

Especially, thanks to Azua for making this day. It was really a great prank, and it made the enjoyability possible. Without all of these people it wouldn't have been possible, but without her there would've been nothing to make of the day even with some really awesome people.

I can confidently say that this was the best April Fool's I've ever had.

To archive all of the color changes:

Initial Change
Second Change (Courtesy Spadefox.)
Third Change
Fourth Change
Fifth Change
Sixth Change
Seventh Change
Eighth Change
Ninth Change
Tenth Change (My personal favorite)
Eleventh Change
Twelfth Change
Thirteenth Change
Fourteenth Change
Starting to Revert
Continuing to Revert

It was a hell of a day, guys. Thanks again, everyone.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I love this blog. Glad you made it!
Although you never did contact me...

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Yea, it was a great day, and thanks to anyone in the "This is just too trippy"-Thread, and Firus for doing this blog. ^_^

A sidenote to take:
The Writers never have gotten their color to change, and the members that are depicted sky blue on Firus' userlist are those which are banned and therefore had no user color. In the original black SWF-color theme, they were grey.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah, I should have probably made note of that. I'll add it right now.

And Earthbound Zero, I'm glad you enjoyed the summary. Hopefully beyond just retelling the story and expressing how I felt about it, this can archive it for those who missed out, so they can still be immersed in it and see things as we saw them thanks to all of the excellent screenshots.

person701

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for summing up all the April Fools action I missed! >.<

I was busy with Youtube's, which upon opening a vid link yelled aloud, "Wait, what the...!" as the video, the logos, the text, other videos had all be turned completely upside down. Linked with a "How to view the new format" page giving suggestions such as hanging your monitor upside down, tilting you head, and moving to Australia (apparently everything is upside down there already).

Thanks again. =D

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
No problem, I'm glad to help out.

Wow, I just realized I totally forgot to even look at YouTube on that day, I was so preoccupied with SmashBoards. You should've just hit Ctrl+Alt+Down Arrow, that should flip your screen upside down.

Denzi

Smash Master
That day was definitely one of the best April Fools I've had, and was without a doubt better than last year's.

Maxfire is awesome :)

D

Deleted member

I was so into April Fools that day, I almost forgot to watch Is it a Good Idea to Microwave This. That shouldn't be taken lightly, as that is my favorite Youtube video ever.

finalark

SNORLAX
Heheh. I remember taking all of those screens. I was on the verge of collapsing onto my keyboard due to how late it was.

Awesome post, Firus. Great job on the retrospect.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Last year was better.

Good try though.
It was a word filter. <.<

What made this April Fools so special was not exactly the pranks themselves, but rather the people here in the User Blog section, and in the other parts of the board (Pool Room etc) that made it so enjoyable. If you're only reading up, it just seems kinda boring, but we had tons of fun.

person701

Smash Journeyman

Wow, I just realized I totally forgot to even look at YouTube on that day, I was so preoccupied with SmashBoards. You should've just hit Ctrl+Alt+Down Arrow, that should flip your screen upside down.
Her are my exact words to Ctrl+Alt+Down, "OH NO WAY! AWSOME!" Now I have a trick I can play on my friends all the time. =D And, even if no one knew that, they had a link that said, "I like the original view better." Still pretty great.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Her are my exact words to Ctrl+Alt+Down, "OH NO WAY! AWSOME!" Now I have a trick I can play on my friends all the time. =D And, even if no one knew that, they had a link that said, "I like the original view better." Still pretty great.
Haha, no problem, I'm always glad to help out. =D You can do it with any direction in fact, and as I'm hoping you figured out because I just realized I forgot to mention it before, you press Up to go back to normal.

But yeah, that's a pretty good prank.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
God, this April Fool's Day was great...

I was actually so busy on here that not only did I completely forget about youtube, but I also didn't do a huge project that was worth 20% of my grade and due the next day, all because I was afraid to look away and miss something. Needless to say, I did horribly on my project and I could somehow care less. :laugh:

Like Firus and Straked said, you basically had to be there and be active to understand and get the enjoyment. The natural atmosphere when running around the forums to look at everything was one of ****ing chaos, which is why it ended up being so great.

It was easily the best April Fool's Day of my life. Just too good for words.

person701

Smash Journeyman
Haha, no problem, I'm always glad to help out. =D You can do it with any direction in fact, and as I'm hoping you figured out because I just realized I forgot to mention it before, you press Up to go back to normal.

But yeah, that's a pretty good prank.
For 22 freaking minutes I've been...

Nah, j/k. Yah, I figured that out pretty quickly =P

Darkslash

Smash Master
God, this April Fool's Day was great...

I was actually so busy on here that not only did I completely forget about youtube, but I also didn't do a huge project that was worth 20% of my grade and due the next day, all because I was afraid to look away and miss something. Needless to say, I did horribly on my project and I could somehow care less. :laugh:

Like Firus and Straked said, you basically had to be there and be active to understand and get the enjoyment. The natural atmosphere when running around the forums to look at everything was one of ****ing chaos, which is why it ended up being so great.

It was easily the best April Fool's Day of my life. Just too good for words.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Arf!

Awesome Firus, a summary of definitely the best pril Fools I've ever had. The sheer chaos caused by the forums getting Azuowned, and the hilarity of darting back and forth between about 10 threads of genuinely hilarious antics made it too much fun for one day.

Like you said, props to the mods for giving us the one day of ******** antics. I swear, User Blogs has the most hilarious community, you guys are all awesome. <3

Spadefox gets 10trillion coolness points for his screen capturing efforts.

Mith_

Smash Champion
My blog is better :mad:
This was a neat retrospective blog Firus. April fools was fun and I'm glad I'm part of a community that likes to have fun as well.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Being able to spam everywhere on the forum and not have to worry (too much) about getting infractions was the best.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
It was amazing, everything from the colours of names changing every ten minutes, to Maxfire, to Choknater's posts being negative. I first noticed the changes when I looked at a PM and saw a purple BRoom name. I was blown out of my mind, then I clicked on the profile and saw all the names were purple. :mad:

Everything was really fun though, I seriously was on here for 6 hours, with short breaks inbetween just to get the bare neccesities. I half wished that the monotone colours would stay that way, I love those so much.

Cease Tick

Smash Ace

Weird, doesn't work on my computer :ohwell:
But yeah, April Fools' Day was really really fun.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I just wanna say that was a great blog, and I thank all you guys for making such a bad day for me a bit brighter :bee:.

pokesmashfighter

Smash Cadet
Code:
[IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/Pyro8maniac/Names.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/Pyro8maniac/Names1.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/Pyro8maniac/Names2.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/Pyro8maniac/Names3.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/Pyro8maniac/Names4.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/Pyro8maniac/Names5.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/Pyro8maniac/Names6.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/Pyro8maniac/Names7.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/Pyro8maniac/Names8.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/Pyro8maniac/Names9.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/Pyro8maniac/Names10.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/Pyro8maniac/Names11.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/Pyro8maniac/Names12.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/Pyro8maniac/Names13.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/Pyro8maniac/Names14.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/Pyro8maniac/Names15.png[/IMG]
I fixed it so I won't have to click all those links.

Top Bottom