• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Apr 19, 2014] No Johns Monthly! April 19th!! Project M ! (Nanuet, NY)

Alukard

Smash Hero
ok so with this weather ... i'm going to have to cancel tmr ... sry everyone ... but the weather isn't nice .. and no one is posting i can't host this with like 5 people ...

sry ...

TOURNEY CANCELLED FOR THIS WEEKEND!!!!

Eggm

Smash Hero
weak. The weather. Is suppose to be better. Tommorow. Considering the tourney is then I see no reason to cancel also by morning any road past 200 feet of ur house will be plowed unless u live in the middle of nowhere like reik

Alukard

Smash Hero
weak. The weather. Is suppose to be better. Tommorow. Considering the tourney is then I see no reason to cancel also by morning any road past 200 feet of ur house will be plowed unless u live in the middle of nowhere like reik
i'm sorry i can't runa tourney with 9 people eggm =\

R3N0

Smash Lord
Yo I have not played melee since SPOC.. I think I'm trash now.. I'll never do well ever again :'(

JFox

Smash Hero
I'm pretty surprised this is cancelled. I know that its kinda nasty out, but I went all the way to bayonne today and it definitely wasn't that bad. By tomorrow, things should be pretty cleaned up. Even if u had 10 people show, u coulda had people pay a venue fee, and than just done a smashfest, with maybe a little crew battle or something. Its not like the owner should care, considering the basement will go completely unused anyways.

W/e, i couldn't make it anyway, im workin tomorrow.

Eggm

Smash Hero
To bring jfoxes post one step further. More people come than actually post. Even on the 27th only like 10-15 people have posted they are coming, but i bet we get around 30. Just for the record.

Its fine now tho, imma just smashfest, at the very least with hbk and we are gonna get beast. :)

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
I'm gonna go all Bowser for singles and maybe Samus too just for Lite =) I need my Bowser recorded so I can be in the ultimate combo video being done by Gimpy.

JFox

Smash Hero
Nintendude, I would love it if u got back into melee. I know we never got to meet really, but I've heard good things, and we could use more diversity in the melee scene. seems like these days all anyone plays is fox, marth and sheik.

Book!

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like a lot of fun. Some friends and I will try to make it down from Westchester. Thanks for hosting, Alukard.

So can you still play if you're not signed up for brackets? Don't mean to be stingy but I have don't have much (any) tourney experience and twenty bucks is a lot of money to drop if I'm just going to get knocked out first round.

<3 Melee

Nintendude

Smash Hero
show up ... dont u live near like ... phish it and those guys ... or am i thinkin of someone else ??? O_o'
I live 45 minutes closer than they do lol. So yeah, unless my parents do some last minute planning with family or something I have no excuse not to come.

Thanks for the kind words, JFox. I never really got retired from Melee or anything though...I just started college and it pretty much consumes my life, and I spent last summer giving Brawl a try (but I'm not really taking that game seriously anymore). I've been playing plenty of Melee at school but people there are only technical and not very smart, so I bet it'll take me some time to get used to thinking again hehe

JFox

Smash Hero
Venue fee is mandatory to play, even if its just friendlies. Singles and doubles are separate.

Doubles is only 5 per person, so IMO u should, at the very least, enter doubles.

edit: do you still main ICs? Do you use any other characters in tourney, or just them?

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
lol maybe you should get good first with your friends and then play, play friendlies and then make step in.

i dont have any tourney experience either but i know i would atleast make it to 2 round. im gonna try to go to this. for reals tho

JFox

Smash Hero
Jona, I disagree. The way to get good IS to go to tournaments. Playing with your friends severely limits ur learning abilities. theres a reason why people that know they can't win still enter tournaments all the time, its for the experience. Tournament experience is far more valuable than friendlies.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
edit: do you still main ICs? Do you use any other characters in tourney, or just them?
Technically yes, but last semester I used them like maybe 5 matches total so I bet they are really really rusty. At school I've been working on a lot of various characters...Falcon, Roy, Marth, Luigi, Sheik, Peach, Samus, etc. but they don't really have any tournament experience besides me using Sheik and Peach at scrubby tournaments like 3 years ago lol

btw Jona, now that I'm back home I need to play you and the other Westchester guys sometime.

Book!

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Jfox. I agree with you completely. I have a couple of friends that I play with once in a while, so I'm not absolutely terrible, but I feel like it's very easy to stagnate if you're going up against the same people every time. It's good practice (and lots of fun) to play with new people.

I guess I'll enter doubles and try to get some good friendlies in. Might even hop in on singles if I'm feelin' it.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
well my friends were better then me and thats how i got good. i started off with level 9's and then met some guys off here. if you have friends that are better then you playing them for hours will help you get alot better then 15 different people for like 15 minutes each.

and yea nintendude, you need to get in touch with OTG( name is max) hes the crew leader. he lives in new ro right now i think. and yea we got a couple guys in the crew, i stopped playing for about a month but i wanna play scar and other good people b4 i quit so yea

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
All you guys should play me. I'm the preferred choice, especially you Nintendude lol. Since all you really play is just technical players.

Eggm

Smash Hero
The fastest way to get better is to go to tournaments enter both events and play from the moment you get there to the moment you leave (like m2k did and does). Besides g$ I've haven't seen anyone that dedicated since m2k in awhile. And g$ is improving at a very high rate for how long hes play so he proves my theory.

Anyways don't let dj fool you. I've never seen more frame perfect edge tricks with bowser , drop down double jump ledge stalls.. with any character, and full hop fast fall f smashes. And frame perfect f smashes to f smashes to.. sometimes even another f smash. dont' even get me started.

Top Bottom