• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching with a SH'd raptor boost?

Iwan

Smash Ace
Anyone else find this useful? Of course the ever useful dash dance>>raptor boost is great, but if you missed it's punishable. If you short hop a raptor boost, you'll either hit the opponent, bounce off their shield, or miss and land with NO lag time. It's completely safe and since it's coming from the air, hitting them with it puts them on their back, setting up some opportunities to combo.

I've found it useful.

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
Huh. I've always found that if you hit with it, you land too far away with too much lag to do much.

I'll test it further though..

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I've always found that doing SH-Raptor Boost usually resulted in me getting shielded, bouncing over them, and then getting Fsmashed since it's so laggy after the bounce.

But that's just me.

Mann

Smash Ace
Useful when you actually connect and they are at high %. There's still a delay after the raptor boost even if you miss, giving your opponent a chance to get ready and hit you.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
I've been doing this form the day I got Brawl and unlocked him too...these boards are filled with things I thought were common knowledge lol
wow o.O

Anyway...
Mix it up accordingly. Nair is probably his best approach but mix up his dash game with Raptor Boost, Dash Attack, Grabs etc. This comes in handy (I find most) when you're at a distance, dash towards them, they would assume a grab or anything was coming. Then you jump and TURN AROUND with SideB. This sends you away from them (not very far) and there is little lag. If they spot dodge when you jump, you can almost get to them before they're ready for anything. If they roll, you will hit them, or they roll the other way and you're both back at square 1.
Another application of the turn around is full jump air dodge over/throguh them, turn around and sideB to them before you land, or even a SH dedge through them, dash away, aerial Boost back.

Mixing it up with variations with his speed and changes in momentum can almost always get you a good secure approach. This aerial Raptor Boost is just something else to throw into the mix.

Note: This is great in stages with platforms!

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I've been doing this form the day I got Brawl and unlocked him too...these boards are filled with things I thought were common knowledge lol
wow o.O

Anyway...
Mix it up accordingly. Nair is probably his best approach but mix up his dash game with Raptor Boost, Dash Attack, Grabs etc. This comes in handy (I find most) when you're at a distance, dash towards them, they would assume a grab or anything was coming. Then you jump and TURN AROUND with SideB. This sends you away from them (not very far) and there is little lag. If they spot dodge when you jump, you can almost get to them before they're ready for anything. If they roll, you will hit them, or they roll the other way and you're both back at square 1.
Another application of the turn around is full jump air dodge over/throguh them, turn around and sideB to them before you land, or even a SH dedge through them, dash away, aerial Boost back.

Mixing it up with variations with his speed and changes in momentum can almost always get you a good secure approach. This aerial Raptor Boost is just something else to throw into the mix.

No matter what you do with Falcon you always have a good chance of being punished on an approach. Marth can seriously just stand there and wait until you approach, then either A -> Fsmash you or Side B combo you. Ike can just wait and then AAA combo you or Usmash or Utilt or Fsmash or any one of his other ridiculously oversized hitbox moves. Even if you spot dodge or roll through or anything you'll still probably get hit by Ike's hitbox. Sure you can be super crafty and mindgame people but on the whole you are at a disadvantage when you approach with Falcon because you have no priority and no reach.

Aerial Raptor Boost is not really all that useful on the ground. In certain situations due to stage layout it can be like you said but generally I don't use it at all. I use Raptor Boost a ton when I'm recovering or in certain air v. air situations, but otherwise I find it to be a bad attack.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
This is, like, the 10th thread on using a shorthopped side-B (I exaggerate greatly).

However, it still does not change the fact that the cons outweigh the pros for using the short-hopped side-B. In fact, use of the side-B in general should only rarely be considered.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Eh, how about an off-level aerial side-B meteor smash? (err, hopefully facing TOWARD the level;;; )
Any opinions on that?

Personally, I like watching people drop straight down when I do that in midair over the level, but it sounds like a potential mid-recovery counter-kill move against someone chasing you off-stage.

I don't use Falcon enough to have tried this, but I'm wondering what kind of effect it would have on someone hanging on the edge- would it knock them into the edge first, hit them upwards, or knock them straight down to their death?

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Eh, how about an off-level aerial side-B meteor smash? (err, hopefully facing TOWARD the level;;; )
Any opinions on that?

Personally, I like watching people drop straight down when I do that in midair over the level, but it sounds like a potential mid-recovery counter-kill move against someone chasing you off-stage.

I don't use Falcon enough to have tried this, but I'm wondering what kind of effect it would have on someone hanging on the edge- would it knock them into the edge first, hit them upwards, or knock them straight down to their death?
Actually the aerial Raptor Boost spike works whether you are approaching the stage or leaving it. If you are leaving it though you have to make sure you are high enough to DI back to safety. Generally if you hit with it in this situation you are fine but if you miss you have a good chance of killing yourself. Not all that useful but definitely an option.

I use Raptor Boost all the time when recovering. It gets me back to the stage and spikes those characters who have less reach and priority. If I am up against someone who outreaches and outprioritizes my aerial Raptor Boost then I revert to Falcon Dive.

I am pretty sure that Raptor Boosting edgehoggers will send them straight down. Not certain though.

DarkKyanite

Smash Journeyman
wow o.O

Anyway...

ummm......
no

Tenki

Smash Hero
Actually the aerial Raptor Boost spike works whether you are approaching the stage or leaving it. If you are leaving it though you have to make sure you are high enough to DI back to safety. Generally if you hit with it in this situation you are fine but if you miss you have a good chance of killing yourself. Not all that useful but definitely an option.

I use Raptor Boost all the time when recovering. It gets me back to the stage and spikes those characters who have less reach and priority. If I am up against someone who outreaches and outprioritizes my aerial Raptor Boost then I revert to Falcon Dive.

I am pretty sure that Raptor Boosting edgehoggers will send them straight down. Not certain though.
Yeah, I mentioned it coming back, because I saw it as a counter-counter-recovery meteor, if that makes... any sense?

Does hitting with aerial Raptor boost leave Falcon in the "can't do anything but DI" special-state?

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
I post this with some of the benefits and negatives on this approach:

+'s:

A mind game leading to sh'd raptorboost can catch an opponent off guard, even if it's a grounded boost it can possibly lead to further comboing.

-'s: (As much as I like the idea I don't see too many uses for it)

As mentioned, easily punished. Even more so if your opponent shields, leaving them to grab in the frames you're "falling" to the ground in front of them.

Sidestepped/Spot dodged easily, the frames in which Falcon hits are outdone by the invincibility time a dodging character has.

Tested: Seems to be only good on larger stages, leaving FD and PS the only legal stages to use it on.

---

By all means, if you can use it effectively, go for it, it will only work to your benefit.
IMO it is still only useful to use a grounded boost, as it leads to our somewhat gimped air game.

EDIT:
Does hitting with aerial Raptor boost leave Falcon in the "can't do anything but DI" special-state?
To a degree yes, you'll receive your small pop up, and become immobilized afterwards. (Tried it earlier, can someone else test to confirm?)

Chris is me

Smash Apprentice
It kind of works. You need to not do it too fast and it only really works on taller, slower characters (Snake, really bad Ikes), but I can get it to work sometimes.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Short-hopped, the rapter boost is better on opponents that are actually larger in size...

I do not know why this is but they just seem to give you more time to continue into a combo.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
LeeHarris said that you should never SH Raptor Boost. You should Knee people if they are actually in the position to be hit by that.

Iwan

Smash Ace
LeeHarris said that you should never SH Raptor Boost. You should Knee people if they are actually in the position to be hit by that.
Yea...i made this thread a while ago when i was still experimenting with approaches. SH Raptor Boost isn't a great approach. It's actually way more punishable than i thought when i originally made this post.

Tenki

Smash Hero
working off an idea that i had in another thread (falcon is an anti-aerial defensive character):

what is your opinion of grounded raptor boost vs aerial chars?

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
It works decently except for the suckage of its priority (but that's true no matter how you use it). Otherwise it reaches vertically fairly nicely and can work well in some situations.

This isn't exactly an aerial-related situation but for example, my friend loves to roll a lot. He is a roll addict. So whenever I'm close and I sense he's going to back roll if I attack, I use Raptor Boost because it travels far enough and kicks him up real nice.

Top Bottom