• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex SSB64 Meetup / Tournament

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Hey everyone. APEX 2010 is quickly approaching and I know there's at least a few SSB64 players going. I think on either Saturday night or Sunday there's supposed to be designated side event time and that'd be a good time to get an ssb64 event going. So who's gonna be there?

And anyone wanna MM?

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Do you have to pay just to go in (even if you're not entering the other tournies)?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Yes, you have to pay either the spectator fee or the venue fee. They are $15 and $30 respectively (I think). Check the Apex thread for info.

dandan

Smash Lord
if there is a tourney, please record it, could be nice to commentate a whole tourney, there aren't a lot that are available, at least new ones.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I'm not sure how much control we'll have over the recording equipment but I'll talk to the organizer about recording.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
isn't there a smash 64 tournament saturday night?

Regardless, I won't be there, I am away until the day AFTER the first day of the tournament.

firo

Smash Ace
If I remember correctly there is time set up for a side SSB64 event (right now its supposed to be Saturday starting at 10:30 PM, which is pretty late)...

I think we should compile a list of the 64 smashers who plan to attend. I still havent registered as I would only be playing 64 and don't want to go if not many other people plan to.

(This topic would probably be better off in the main section so everyone could see it, but alas)

SheerMadness

Smash Master
In 5 years of competitive melee I've never been to an OOS tourney. =[

I'd love to go but I'm just not willing to spend $400 on going to a smash tourney.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
In 5 years of competitive melee I've never been to an OOS tourney. =[

I'd love to go but I'm just not willing to spend $400 on going to a smash tourney.
I totally agree with the way you feel. I've never gone farther than like a 2 hour drive to a smash tournament.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
Come back across!

Might get some console action with a few people in my area soon anyway... :)
im definitely down. ive been all over cali, washington, and florida, but not the east coast. thats my next stop. im thinkin sometime next summer. so i leave it up to u, A$, to make it worth my while :p, no homo lol

The Star King

Smash Hero
We should have a big smashfest in NoVa, I know there are quite a few Smash64 players lurking in the area.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
i'll be there, it is only a few hours drive so i don't think i'd miss it. i still need housing though and i'd prefer to stay with people interested in 64 rather than find someone going only for melee. :( and no, I don't think it would be wise to MM with you, nintendude ;) but i'd definitely be down to meet SSB64 players for friendlies or side tournies outside of the one being held at the venue, if i get a hotel room, i'd be willing to host too.

The Star King

Smash Hero
plan it out for next summer and ill try my best to make it out. i would prefer if there was a tourney in the area as well. and we can always have a smashfest at a hotel.
Odd, I thought posted a response to this o_O Anyways, I'm definitely not gonna be the one hosting it lol

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
Odd, I thought posted a response to this o_O Anyways, I'm definitely not gonna be the one hosting it lol
well, what i meant by a tourney is, let me know when theres a tourney (if it doesnt have smash 64 we can convince the person running it to have smash 64 lol) in the area next summer ahead of time so that i can plan ahead. we can play at the tourney, and then have a smashfest at the hotel where ill be stayin at :bee:

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure how much control we'll have over the recording equipment but I'll talk to the organizer about recording.
i can bring a recording setup

so of the people going to to this (me nintendude firo?) who can bring n64 setups?

I can bring one setup, i have 2 other systems i'd be willing to bring but I only have one copy of the game.

Also, is Isai still going? It says he is a special guest in the tournament thread.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
I tested it for an hour straight today and my laptop didn't overheat and all the footage came out fine. I wanted to test it longer but i had to go to work. I think it should be fine but i'll try it out again tomorrow and let you know. I really want to record a few matches at least. Are you bringing an N64 setup at all?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I can bring a console + game. btw I think we may be in need of an organizer for the tournament (DJRome was gonna do it but has decided not to?) Who wants to do it?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
It'd probably be pretty easy since we wouldn't be doing pools. It's just putting people in a bracket, seeding the obvious top players, and then calling out matches. I could help out too but wouldn't want to be calling out matches unless we can use the mic. I've used tio before.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
Ok so lets do it. I'll help set up and organize and I have no problem calling out matches and I doubt they'd have a problem letting us use the mic for that. Can you help out with the brackets and seeding/other random stuff?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Ok so lets do it. I'll help set up and organize and I have no problem calling out matches and I doubt they'd have a problem letting us use the mic for that. Can you help out with the brackets and seeding/other random stuff?
Yeah I can help with some of those logistics. The reason I'm unsure about mic availability is that we may be competing with Brawl+ or Brawl-. Hopefully people will realize that 64 is far superior to those:)

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
ill enter as long as it's not during singles bracket of brawl/melee
it should be after the first 2 rounds of brackets for melee and brawl on the second day. those two rounds should be over before this starts so more people can participate.

Yeah I can help with some of those logistics. The reason I'm unsure about mic availability is that we may be competing with Brawl+ or Brawl-. Hopefully people will realize that 64 is far superior to those:)
cool. i won't be there until early Saturday morning since i'm only going to play 64 but that will leave most of the day for me to hype this and get people to sign up.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Something I just realized is that many people might not have their own N64 controller. Would you mind bringing your extras?

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
i thought of that too, i have 17 working controllers and probably 10 i'd be willing to let others use. I planned on bringing like 10 controllers and 3 systems. (although i realized i only have one copy of smash so bringing more than 1 system is kind of pointless). I just really don't want anything to disappear so as long as we keep an eye on everything I don't have a problem using my stuff.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Yeah I don't know of a good way to safeguard all the stuff. Maybe talk to Alex about what kind of security there would be? He said a long time ago that he'd assure that everyone's stuff is ok but I don't know what he's actually planning on doing.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I'm going!!!
Super rusty with the SSB though :( been playing Melee :bee:
Bringing 2 setups I believe

Top Bottom