• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex Legends Mafia: Boosted GAME OVER Who won?

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Also could you summarize your opinions on character/roleclaiming? Like out of curiosity; did anybody else make any claims that I should be aware of? Besides the mason claim, I wasn’t keeping track
I believe the only role claims are Mala's (pathfinder) and Maven's (Caustic). I'd like to know yours since we already know your role.
Zen, wasn't Sabrar similarly interested in hunting third party hunting over finding regular scum in Sumting Mafia, or am I misremembering? Iirc, I remember seeing him third party hunt in thread, and thinking it was a scumtell but keeping that to myself, for obvious reasons (I was also scum).
I vaguely recall, but I can't seem to find it. I would think scum!sabrar would be more careful about openly indie hunting. Also UP is being very innocent right now with the bessie mason thing and the never seeing maven scum.

fontisian

Smash Champion
I'm not keeping actual notes this game, so I'm just going to log some of the posts I flagged here:
That's not why you're town. You'd be too nervous and overthinking as scum so wouldn't have posted until tomorrow.
Games usually start while I'm at work. And I rarely post during work hours. And won't be during this game.
Both started in the evening. You're town. Accept it.
Town Xivii.

Awesome. Who wants to see Xivii Xivii Xivii Xivii forced to claim or die? I do!

Vote Xivii

On a more serious note: I do have an offer for you. I'll claim if you'll reciprocate. I don't want to have to deal with you all game and pinning you to a role you have to back should make it easier to keep you in my friends folder.
Mason claim or alternative had to be in the works from the beginning, fishing argument is out.
Also, Inno Child? Scum squad must be stacked to hell.
Mason hint.
I'm gonna be sick.

How many clears does it take to make a mass claim worth doing?
Mason hint.

To read tone.

We might be able to deduce scum from a mass flavor claim. There's 14 characters in the flavor link and there's 14 slots. Pathfinder is the good robot and he is innocent child, so I feel like Revenant is probably scum since he seems to be the evil robot.
I was scum and could not win because town claimed early.
A man after my own heart.
Buddying.

Do you have an issue with me being defensive Vicarin Vicarin ? Do you have an issue with me pushing for a mass claim? Are you going to take action or are you going to continue to bemuse yourself with reading decade old games?
I don't actually subscribe to this line of thought unless Xivii Xivii is involved.
This so much this.

Vote: sabrar
Not much until you actually defend your mass claim strategy I guess.
Chill.

Why does vic always end up in a mass claim argument?
Vic/Wam not W/W.

Hi all, nice to be here. This is my 1st game. Happy to give more of an intro if needed.

Vote: bessie

What are you hiding beneath that cute doggy avatar?

Will read in more detail later. I work all day so evening times til the early hours of insomnia are better for me.
Possible w/w with Bessie.

Ok, so I am reading.

I can’t speak for whether this mass claim is good or bad. I'm following the posts on it.

Right now, I'm more interested in the atmosphere it's created and how players are feeding in to this.

Headspace is vague right now, but questions to follow tonight. I suppose everyone else needs to post first too.
Approach oriented start, finding his footing.

Claiming town day 1 oh so scummy.
Dislike.

I haven't read a thing besides the intro post yet (why does every game start coincide with the one day of the week that I'm AFK?), I'm just here to say hi to Malakandra.
Self-justifying.

I don't want a mass claim. I don't disagree with the argument for it in principle, and for sure I have played in setups that could have been broken easily by a mass claim, I just agree with fonti that it's the least fun option. But I think Ryker is probably Town for proposing it.

Vicarin has a low tolerance for shenanigans of any kind and I don't feel that his reaction is strongly alignment indicative.
Likely accurate but boring reads.

as a recent turbosnow victim who made the same mistake I'd advise proceeding with abundant caution

now this is the juice smashboards mafia has been missing for far too long

since when does Sab LAMIST? I know it's RVS but still
is this a joke or legit? Because Sab's LAMIST def pinged for me

you will very quickly come to find that for Ryker, the answer to this question will always be an unequivocal no. best start getting used to it

not really opposed to mass claim, I don't think Chaco would lie about randomizing the alignments and my role could just as easily be a scum role as it would still have utility in that capacity so from my limited POV randomization checks out

Vote: Red Ruy

@#HBC | Red Ryu
whats your take on ryker's early claim push?
The vibes, they are bad.

I get the mindset but frankly I would rather break a set-up so people learn from it rather than just playing nice.

Still I do not think it would do a massive clearing.
Legit

Also doubly suspicious that both have now ignored me.

Sabrar normally loves any excuse to vote me day 1.
Maybe not Sabrar/Wam w/w. Check in on ignoring.

Just thinking out loud / seeing how people respond.
I can't recall what game it was, but it didn't strike me as particularly odd and for the moment I'm gonna trust my gut and say that it's not OOC.

Yes, but the question wasn't "why did you vote Vicarin?", but "why do you want to help the push?" and now that you dodget answering that, I'm a little extra curious about the answer.
Vaguely positive vibes.

Hard to say without knowing the setup. Conventional wisdom is that mass claims (or any claims) are not great for Town early in the game, but some setups do have some breakings strategies.

To be clear, I'm not townreading Ryker because I think the proposal is necessarily a good idea. I just find his progression at how he arrived at the idea to be very natural and townie.

I'm already voting for bessie.

I am concerned that you do not find the color significant.

I think he's Town.
I want to pin this because I got thoughts on this but want to wait before I post some initial thoughts.
I don't believe in trains a week before deadline. What if everybody takes you up on this and we quick-yeet because someone forgot to count the votes (which actually happened on xkcd)? And if we don't yeet right away then what purpose did it serve to put 6-7 votes on him?

BTW anyone can answer this, I legit don't get the obsession with the votes at the start of the day. It can't be even used as papertrail.
Hated the "legit" at the time, which is why this is flagged. Felt like him admitting to being scum, but justifying the not voting opinion as real anyway. But with the role claim, it makes sense that he was avoiding voting early because of the vote lock, and my impression of stating the opinion was real regardless was correct, but not scum indicative.

The meta tell I have on him checks out on B99/Vanilla for scum and TIL, Midnight and NNY for Town so I think it's probably okay. Hmm... on a scale of 1 being Maven and 10 being Malakandra, he's probably about a 6 or 7.

What do you think of the people wagoning you (particularly the non-Ryker ones)?
LaserGuy LaserGuy : Let's see:

Ryker - Would normally read him as scum pushing a poor strategy for town rather abrasively but going by some of the local's reactions this seems... remarkably in character for him so I'm not sure what to make of him.

Xivii - Usually would randomly switch votes around early, so not that fussed about him initially voting for me, perfectly normal behaviour by him when he wants to apply pressure. Actually kinda interesting that Ryker jumped in with their vote on me within the same minute that Xivii did his. Otherwise, the most eyecatching thing that they did was come up with a possible role and alignment for each character listed as being in the game, despite thinking that it is not alignment indicative.... Seems like a waste of time to me and appearing to be doing something useful when it really isn't.

Malakandra - Good Bot, asked by Ryker to join.

Red Ryu - Quite suspect, jumps in as 4th vote as "assisting the push" and then wants everyone to provide reasons to not join the wagon, as if joining it should be the default choice? Seems to be hoping to build up enough momentum to get me into a lynchable situation quickly before any other options present themselves.
Kind of bleh opinions and language, not even clearing if Ryu is scum.

So thinking it over some more, I actually do think there are things we can get from flavor claims. While alignments are randomized, roles are not. And some roles are likely to be a certain alignment. So a bad character isn't necessarily mafia, but a ninja is probably going to be a ninja. And a ninja is probably mafia.

I don't want a mass flavor claim, but with this in mind, I actually do think Revenant should claim (just their name). Mainly because I'm curious to see if it's one of my town reads or one of my scum reads. Additionally, because he is likely a ninja and there's no other role that would be apparent from his claim, we won't be outing their role to mafia if they are indeed town.
You actually want guesses, or was that purely rhetorical?
Not necessarily, I just wanted to see if it was in you to admit to a mistake or if you would rather let it slide into oblivion.
I will never know why this mattered.

I normally would say wam but I've got one town-ping from him this game and my first choice for lynch wants him dead. That's enough to make me reconsider. I have no specific scum-pings from others, I think Vic is town and so are you. Eido is doing well for a newbie, fonti is differently town than in previous scum-games. I have no idea where Xivii gets his locktown read on Ryu, if I had to choose someone else right now it would be him because he's done nothing useful this game. And on that note

Chaco Chaco : request mod-prod on Red Ryu

PS: I'm okay with Sab, or Sabrar. Please don't call me Sabby.

It's not 'hunting' per say as in I'm not spending time to deliberately look for indies. Xivii's play however is not town-motivated and is most consistent with Lyncher.

Yes, the same argument was used by FrozenFlame in Crossover, denying the existence of Survivors and Bombs. Incidentally we had a Survivor Bomb in that game. So forgive me if I don't take your meta-read for granted.
You were self-aware that you had no content and your frustration with wam seems genuine. You're not trying to be 'obviously Town'.
I'm not sure how much 'trying' was involved but you were generally producing quality content and was town-read a lot.
Logic for townreading feels bad. Too easy.
[/QUOTE]
Ryker's either a Mason or planned the claim from the beginning.

fontisian

Smash Champion
I believe the only role claims are Mala's (pathfinder) and Maven's (Caustic). I'd like to know yours since we already know your role.
I vaguely recall, but I can't seem to find it. I would think scum!sabrar would be more careful about openly indie hunting. Also UP is being very innocent right now with the bessie mason thing and the never seeing maven scum.
I'm not reading it as towny as you are, I think, except for the Maven stuff, maybe. I liked the reactions to me. I'm willing to give him space to work.

I disliked the phrasing around the bessie stuff, specifically the "But I heard Bessie is mason." I may be misreading it, but it seems like he's hedging on whether Bessie is actually a mason and maybe doesn't fully believe it, which feels kind of scummy. Alternatively, UP could be meaning "but /then/ I heard Bessie is a mason," in which case he's just explaining his process and the phrasing is fine.

Anyway.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Xivii Xivii , I think Laser's content is just kind of fine? He's not as towny as he was at the beginning of Things I Like, but that can be explained by more limited time and him not being in a tunnel. His actual reads whenever I go over them seem perfectly fine. I'm not clearing him, the pressure is useful, but I'm not interested in joining you there right now.

fontisian

Smash Champion
fonti is probably the strongest scum player on the site (she may just be the strongest player overall because her Town game is great as well). I will probably be suspicious of her right up to the point that she either yeets mafia or flips Town. That said, I have a marginal Town lean on her at the moment as I was getting kind of a shady vibe from her for most of our last game (where she was mafia) that I am not getting here at this point.

--

I will ask this on behalf of the spirit of BoomFrog... Why do you believe you can read fonti on tone? (That said, I actually kind of agree in principle with this read).
I also liked these points from Laser. He has every reason to doubt me as much as he wants as scum. If he's scared I'd push back, he could instead try to placate and townread me. This is a very strange middle ground that feels real in its complexity.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Okay. They were my top scumread, but there was discussion about it, so I didn’t want to vote for a possible mason. Hope that clears it up

(I refreshed the page, swear I posted this earlier)
Bessie might be a mason, based on how Ryker interacted with her. I wouldn't let the possibility affect how you choose to push. Go with your feelings. If Bessie is town, and you push her, the push itself might help you two townread each other anyway.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Town
fonti
Mala

Ryker
Xivii

Somitomi
Laserguy

I'm getting "could be scum" feels from everyone else, which means I need to get my **** together and sort out some townreads, heh.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I disliked the phrasing around the bessie stuff, specifically the "But I heard Bessie is mason." I may be misreading it, but it seems like he's hedging on whether Bessie is actually a mason and maybe doesn't fully believe it, which feels kind of scummy. Alternatively, UP could be meaning "but /then/ I heard Bessie is a mason," in which case he's just explaining his process and the phrasing is fine.
It's this one that I like:
Oh wait, Bessie and Ryker are masons? Lmao, whoops @my read list
I also think he's indie at best (worst?) based on the players pushing/not pushing him. Specifically, if LaserGuy is mafia, I don't think Sabrar is mafia because of how fence sitty Laser was being with the wagon. I think in that situation, scum Laser would have felt pressured to vote as he was with wam. I do think that list of town/scum reads from Sabrar is weird though.

Laser is scum because he is more focused on content than finding scum. For example, that catch up post where he went through my entire read list. That was not an efficient use of time. And his wishy washyness on Sabrar was no good.

(That said, I actually kind of agree in principle with this read)
This part in the post you quoted is also no good. He's keeping you open as an option even though you're obvtown. He's not willing to commit. And the questions he's asked me have no really umph to them. No followupness.

fontisian

Smash Champion
It's this one that I like:

I also think he's indie at best (worst?) based on the players pushing/not pushing him. Specifically, if LaserGuy is mafia, I don't think Sabrar is mafia because of how fence sitty Laser was being with the wagon. I think in that situation, scum Laser would have felt pressured to vote as he was with wam. I do think that list of town/scum reads from Sabrar is weird though.

Laser is scum because he is more focused on content than finding scum. For example, that catch up post where he went through my entire read list. That was not an efficient use of time. And his wishy washyness on Sabrar was no good.

This part in the post you quoted is also no good. He's keeping you open as an option even though you're obvtown. He's not willing to commit. And the questions he's asked me have no really umph to them. No followupness.
Yeah, you're right, that's a good post from UP.

You're also right about Laser's focus and how he's using his time.

I'm not sure re: him townreading me though. You and Laser have different experiences with reading me. I don't think it's reasonable to expect him to read me the same way and time you do.

Maven89

Smash Master
Maven89 Maven89 , in case you don't see my earlier question, I would like to know what you said "I will almost definitely be claiming before the end of the day," here instead of just claiming? Was there a reason you were waiting?
I can answer this while drunk, so yes. I intended to claim while having something to add through content to offset it, I failed in my duty to the game so I claimed early so I could at least add something to it

fontisian

Smash Champion
You could, I'm not hard-clearing you. But that's not my impression right now.
This could actually be towny from Sabrar. Like, I was asking him to elaborate and instead he just kind of stuck to his guns, and that attitude tends to come from town who feel like they've already been clear more often than not.

fontisian

Smash Champion
I can answer this while drunk, so yes. I intended to claim while having something to add through content to offset it, I failed in my duty to the game so I claimed early so I could at least add something to it
So you're saying you're a wolf?

fontisian

Smash Champion
Catch up page 7-9 present:

A setup with both an IC and masons seems incredibly broken to me.

It shouldn't be hard to guess the reason that I believe this to be the case. But color-coding alignments is standard here. Green is more conventionally Town though. I just find it odd that when you weren't sure if that was Malakandra's role or flavor, that you didn't consult your own role PM to check.

Vicarin was scum in B99 and Town in Stellaris so it seems kind of a wash to me.

I think bessie is scum for other reasons, but I don't think that her giving you a hard time for not answering her questions or engaging with her is AI.

What do you make of Xivii having a strong Townread on him already?

Why the change of heart on Frozen?

Which Secret Santa are you referring to?

Yes.
Yeah, basically all of the things Laser chose to respond to here were pointless, the exception being the thing about Bessie.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Are you certain your shadow vote is real and not a pseudovote? Since this is in line with what I predicted earlier, I'm going to assume you're 3rd party and that one of your votes doesn't actually do anything.

I'm not sure re: him townreading me though. You and Laser have different experiences with reading me. I don't think it's reasonable to expect him to read me the same way and time you do.
True, it's more the wording I think: "I actually kind of agree." It just doesn't seem natural to me, especially considering he had already posted this: "I have a marginal Town lean on her at the moment." It's like scum faking progression but getting the temporality wrong.

fontisian

Smash Champion
I'm interested in that Wam meta description too please!

Can you explain for players like me who would be unfamiliar here? You seem to know Sabrar.

You've articulated your suspicion on Xivii but haven't committed with a vote yet. Is there a reason you're holding your vote?

:004:

So, I'm not confused by your strategy involving flavour.

But there are snippets in the way you talk about it that look like an opportunity to find oddly specific information, like the identity of Revenant.

So it's making me question whether you're doing this for the interest of Town, or for selfish reasons, and I'm thinking about why that's important.

Let me know what you have to say.
Eido's body of work as a whole reads like new town, I think. It's fairly relaxed and inquisitive, not self-conscious, and solving oriented. He's especially focused on trying to figure out which player's reads on other players can be trusted, presumably so he can build his own reads from them.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Are you certain your shadow vote is real and not a pseudovote? Since this is in line with what I predicted earlier, I'm going to assume you're 3rd party and that one of your votes doesn't actually do anything.

True, it's more the wording I think: "I actually kind of agree." It just doesn't seem natural to me, especially considering he had already posted this: "I have a marginal Town lean on her at the moment." It's like scum faking progression but getting the temporality wrong.
Mmm, yeah, I can see that. There's a chance the post was simply written out of order though.

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
FYI for people who haven't played with me before, I generally only play in the evenings in weekends but I usually have more time during the week.

I also see I have a bazillion notifications and will get to them shortly.

Pages 9-10

I feel Xivii is getting desperate if he wants wam's help to yeet me while he himself is voting wam. He's not even reacting to the points I made.

• he wants flavor claim with an argument that makes no sense and for which there is no town-motivation
  • he lives in the moment and doesn't have progression from his past self. This is shown a) by him discarding entirely his page 1 read on bessie in favor of a 'not voting' sus (which he should know from Sumthing - that he likes to bring up - is not relevant) and b) by not remembering what his earlier stance on the claiming was.
  • he misrepresents my attack on him by wanting to get favors with Eido (wrong because timeline). Also Malak independently had the same suspicion as me and because of that this should be taken as a legit read. However he's not acknowledging that, he treats Malak gently because he's confirmed but he's attributing malice to me.
Xivii Xivii , I'd like to hear your response to this.

Me too. And with Sabby hinting at it, I want to see a claim. Especially since I claim Town Mason.
Interesting. Your interest in a mass claim and some of your other comments make a lot of sense in this context.

There's defined value in it for winding people up. Can talk about it post game, but if being called "Sabby" is just crossing the line and too much to bear, then holy hell, do something else.
I'm not sure we can be friends anymore though.

what's your take on her response my callout of the fluffyness? it's entirely deflection
I'm a little surprised she didn't take more offense. Bessie typically prides herself on having high-quality content, and for good reason... she usually does.

I'm also getting flashbacks to Things I Like where LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE ****ING SCUM SLOT EITHER REPLACED OR ASKED FOR REPLACEMENT. I don't expect Sab would lie about his reasoning for seeking replacement, like I legitimately believe he felt you were being disrespectful by continuing to call him by Sabby, but at the same time that doesn't necessarily have to be the ONLY reason why he was ready to get off the ship, especially with pressure mounting and multiple slots commenting on baseline deviations in his play.
FWIW, I do not believe that Sabrar replaces out here because he's mafia and isn't happy with how the game is going. I've seen him tough out some pretty ****ty situations as mafia before.

So, do we take Sabrar's claim to be NAI?
At this point, probably yes. Doublevoter is usually a town-aligned role but this setup seems a been off-kilter so I don't think it is unavoidable for it to go the other way. I don't know if we can safely keep Sabrar/UP slot to endgame without a firm clear on them though.

Your entire argument is faulty. I did not even notice the color. It’s not like I was hmmm, blue, is mine blue too?
Something I have posted many times, in many games: Nothing is confirmed unless it is in bold from the mod. Ok, you assume different alignments are different colors. You don’t know this. You are using an assumption about how you believe the game is set up to extrapolate a scum read of me for it. Or you do know it because your role PM is a different color and that’s why you noticed the blue?
I don't know it for certain, no, but I have a reasonable suspicion of it being the case based on other games I've played here and elsewhere that use a similar system. It was obvious to me that it was a real mod-comment being both bolded and Town colored, so I found it strange that you did not pick up on this and felt the need to clarify.

Ok fine. On xkcd we had an explicit rule against discussing the specific format aspects of the role PM. But if we are going to make this about the format of my role PM, so be it.
I take it you have forgotten Alien Warfare mafia? We practically solved the entire game just based entirely who knew what about which other faction.

3) Because I still don’t know what it is. Unless it is the hound reference. He never catches my breadcrumbs either. My question is, why did he vote for me in his opening post, for a reason he stuck to and which we are still discussing, but he tries to give me a secret townie handshake in the same post?
Related to the above. I wanted to see if the information you had matched the information that I did.

fontisian

Smash Champion
This part looks unclear to me. Can you re-write this? You seem to know Wam well.
I have played one game with Wam. My type of play focuses on mindset, where I attempt to put myself in another person's shoes, as much as possible, and understand their play from their perspective. Failing that, I instead categorized them into a player archetype, and assess their behavior within that framework.

My last point about Wam was question why town!Wam gets suspicious of me in the first place. Why was I, someone who was not around at all, was someone he was thinking about when he had another angle to scumhunt with but chose not to pursue. Generally, when someone gets suspicious of someone else, it's because they see one of that person's posts and it sparks a new line of thought. But I had no recent posts, so there was nothing immediate to spark Wam's suspicion of me. My assumption then is that he likely went back through the thread and read one of my posts while doing that. That rereading was likely done in response to him being asked to elaborate on a statement ("scum might be using the massclaim discussion to fake content".)

So why is that scummy? Well, consider how you might be playing the game if you, like Wam, believed scum might use the massclaim stuff to talk about irrelevant things and look towny. Personally, I, before even sharing that thought, would have specific people in mind who might be abusing the massclaim talk, and I'd be looking at other things they were doing. I'd have names ready. Wam did not have those names ready, he made a suggestion ("scum might be doing "x") but had to look back through the thread to remind himself of who was doing "x." The original town thought process was missing.

Does that make sense?

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Uguguguguggh

I decided to peruse through a bunch of recent reads lists and started comparing them to my own to see where things differ, and I began to realize, and it’s kind of weird, but most people are on relatively the same page? Like everybody has Mala Ryker Fonti near the top, with Somi, Xivii and Eido a bit down from the top, with Vic and Maven relatively near the middle, and Wam (and unfortunately Sabrar) near the bottom, with slight variations where applicable, i.e. people townread themselves obv. I don’t think I’ve played in a game where so many people are thinking the same things if that makes sense. I don’t know if that means anything or if it’s going to be helpful in the long run, but it was definitely worth noting. This could turn out to be a rather difficult game.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Uguguguguggh

I decided to peruse through a bunch of recent reads lists and started comparing them to my own to see where things differ, and I began to realize, and it’s kind of weird, but most people are on relatively the same page? Like everybody has Mala Ryker Fonti near the top, with Somi, Xivii and Eido a bit down from the top, with Vic and Maven relatively near the middle, and Wam (and unfortunately Sabrar) near the bottom, with slight variations where applicable, i.e. people townread themselves obv. I don’t think I’ve played in a game where so many people are thinking the same things if that makes sense. I don’t know if that means anything or if it’s going to be helpful in the long run, but it was definitely worth noting. This could turn out to be a rather difficult game.
The kind of consistency in reads is actually what I aim for. I want us to be right and on the same page, and squeeze scum out. Also, Mala is clear, Ryker claimed Mason, and I'm me, so of course everyone's going to be townreading us.

I understand why this may feel weird for you as someone towards the bottom of most people's reads, but if you are town, that's something we can fix.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
The kind of consistency in reads is actually what I aim for. I want us to be right and on the same page, and squeeze scum out. Also, Mala is clear, Ryker claimed Mason, and I'm me, so of course everyone's going to be townreading us.
Wait, so Ryker claimed mason but NOT bessie? Interesting

Then maybe you and I feel differently about everybody being on the same page. Like Sab was going “against the current” but the reads I made independently just so happened to fall in line with the general consensus. And that’s eerie imo.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Wait, so Ryker claimed mason but NOT bessie? Interesting

Then maybe you and I feel differently about everybody being on the same page. Like Sab was going “against the current” but the reads I made independently just so happened to fall in line with the general consensus. And that’s eerie imo.
I think it's a good thing, as long as we are cognizant of how we may be being fooled. In the last game, I won in part by shoving town into ripping each other apart ad by undermining trust in any one towncircle. Here, we will find success by sure everyone understands why people are in the town circle, and by relying on other town to check ourselves.

We make a single towncircle, we raise the bar of towniness that scum must meet, and we squeze them out.

You, by expressing your discomfort with the sinilarities in reads, are being towny and making a small contribution to raising that bar.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Was beginning to think I was going nuts and it was just Font quoting me, but I eventually found where Vic was trying to discredit Xivii's Font read. These, Sabrar's Lyncher crusade, and all the people setting up tin foil hat explanations for my claim (though, obviously, I have the benefit of knowing I'm town going into that analysis).

Xivii Xivii I see a read on Wam, much less on the others. Unless you count

and

as proper reads, which seems debatable.

So, why not at least label fontisian as 'tone, not much content', instead of just 'tone'?
These reads, they are not great.

Well, the Bessie/Xivii stuff is fine, because Xivii is towny and I'm willing to just take his word on it for Bessie. And Eido is probably town if he's not lying about his prior experience.

Frozen, though, may not actually be town. And Wam's scummy af.

Your Vicarin push is just weird, to be honest, he's not really doing anything alignment indicative except being pretty chill under pressure. Haven't seen anything from Maven, but hey, maybe I'll see something scummy from him and these reads will look better.
Both of these pinged me, but Font has provided much more in terms of the process behind how the slot's reads are formed. Isolated, not that bad, but it is a thing I am going to file away for the future based on how Font (and Xivii given the placing on Vic's readlist). Honestly, I really just don't like Vic very much after that read list.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I have specific feelings about the Sabrar-Ryker situation, but I'll leave that until after the game.

Thoughts about some particular players:

Xivii - Play has been all over the place this game. Has done lots of speculation about flavour relating to roles, then says that they don't think it's particularly useful, then goes back to speculation. Has been driving discussion. Had inconsistencies in some of their arguments, and also flipping around on some reads. In particular, they gave a Red Ryu read which was basically "Town, trust me on this", and now they've gone straight to reading as him as scum.

Eido - Apparently new to Mafia, has been asking questions and doing some discussion. If they're scum in their first game, they're doing a decent job of being townie, happy to file as town for the time being.

Sabrar/UtopianPoyzin - Confirmed double voter (of some kind). Has been building a decent case against Xivii. Has been in a fair few random arguments, and wanted to continue arguing with me when I was saying it wasn't useful to do so... weird that he would want to waste time. Having the 2nd vote not be able to be moved once placed is an ability I could see either side having, so I'm not inclined to read too much into that.

Ryker - Claiming Mason. Despite what I may think of their play in general, does appear to be trying to actually drive discussion and get people talking, even if it is by bringing up bad ideas. Inclined to believe town, though will depend on who their claimed partner shakes out to be.

Red Ryu - The adding of their vote onto my wagon and question for people to justify NOT voting for me really rubs me the wrong way. Strikes me as wanting to look as if they're contributing to the conversation and possibly pushing a wagon beyond the point of no return prematurely.

Fontisian - Really liked their analysis on Page 8, despite the slow start.

Maven89 - Got nothing much, the stuff that they have put it out is mostly echoing what other people said. Claiming that their only ability blocks all non-lethal actions on them is pretty convenient for them too.

Town

Vicarin
Malakandra
Ryker
Fontisian
Eido
Somitomi
LaserGuy
Bessie
FrozenFlame
Wam
Sabrar/UtopianPoyzin
Maven89
Xivii
RedRyu

Scum

Essentially, my biggest issue with this list is that the bottom two reads do not follow discernible logic for me. With regard to Xivii, I cannot figure out how progressing his read on Red Ryu when no one else is pushing the Ryu issue is a negative trait, ESPECIALLY when Ryu is the biggest scumbag on your list. Going from townreading your biggest scumbag to scumreading him should be a needed progression that shows he's following along similar patterns to your own.

On the Ryu read itself,.... it's OMGUS. It's just straight up OMGUS. Is Vic new enough that an early game pressure vote is really that out of this world? That description really doesn't match up with number one scum read in the game.

Also of note, the Sabrar read is very conveniently placed to go either way depending on how we react to UP replacing in. Possible SvS leaving the door open to save an ally or SvT leaving the same door open to come down if the winds blow the right way.

Would really love a description of the process for sorting Laserguy through Wam as well. I feel like there should be a stronger read on Bessie and that slot should either be above Somitomi or have something that sticks out enough to warrant comment on why it's lower down. There's certainly been enough focus on that slot this game. Wam and Bessie are the only slots that have had some spotlight this game that there was no comment on.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Okay. They were my top scumread, but there was discussion about it, so I didn’t want to vote for a possible mason. Hope that clears it up

(I refreshed the page, swear I posted this earlier)
Play however you want. As long as you give me time before hammer, I will make sure we never hit my mason partner.

Vicarin

Smash Journeyman
Thought my issue with Red Ryu was explained decently. Placing a vote on someone for pressure is fine, saying everyone else should as well on the same person or have to explain why they're not is a pretty scummy way of framing the conversation.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I'm a little surprised she didn't take more offense. Bessie typically prides herself on having high-quality content, and for good reason... she usually does.
Would you say there's a noticeable drop in quality this game then? How do you feel about the offerings from that slot so far? Forgive me if you've updated me on the slot recently and I've forgotten.

Top Bottom