• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2015 Results

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Yeah, there wasn't much "hype" about Melee finals except aMSa this time around. There was falsely-generated WWE hype around Mango vs. Leffen, but the matches weren't anything special. It was a lot of anti-climax.

Everyone was excited about Armada going Fox, because he normally plays Peach. Really? It's exciting to you that he's finally realized how much less work it takes to win with Fox? ZZZzzzz

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Smash 4 top 8 had some great matches. CT Zero really deserved his win and I enjoyed seeing him beat Mew2king Diddy kong with Captain Falcon Though top 8 was just decent all around day one had a much better showing. I think they should've cancelled the Doubles tournament for all the Smash games everything would have gone faster without it. A very strong showing for smash 4's first national tournament and I would love to see the community continue to grow I just hope how apex attendees treated the Smash 4 contestants didn't leave anyone with a sour taste in their mouth especially poor Zero who wasn't even allowed to enjoy his win. All the matches that aMSa had in melee and sm4sh was hype and that Leffen vs Mango fight was the hypest match in a long time though Melee top 8 seemed kinda hollow especially Grand Finals which was pretty boring almost Dabuz stalling boring. Having only 2 days really messed up Apex 2015 and everyone made it through hopefully next time nothing like this will happen.

Lord Horatio

Smash Apprentice
For a Yoshi to make it to number five in Apex is certainly a game changer in terms of the Melee meta.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
RIP M2K:dizzy:
Edit: Luigisama liked this! I can retire from smashboards in peace! :awesome:
Yw and honestly idk about other people, but M2k losing to leffen was a little fishy. I saw the match and he missed some obvious punishes etc. I mean who wouldn't want to see leffen vs mango for $1000. W/e Gj leffen I'm sure it is just coincidence.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
where can I watch the replays for both Melee and Sm4sh?
For melee look up vgbc they have the highlights on twitch and will upload the steam matches to youtube soon. For smash 4 look up team spooky on twitch nd they should have them up on youtube as well.

Last edited:

Boardwalk

Smash Cadet
who puts apex on the same day of the superbowl??
melee GF at 3am??? (special circumstances but this isnt the first time)
why not run apex west coast? European viewers can atleast watch it in the morning.
everyone mad that armada (seemingly picked up fox last week) and almost won the tourney needs to give armada credit instead of yealling 20xx.
20xx is still not real marth holding it down

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
ah I see, why so little people play smash 64 ? it's an awesome game.
Mostly because of it's age and the difficulties that come with that. i.e. finding good controllers, people to play with, etc.

It can also be a money issue because people already own systems that can play all of the other smash games (wii & wiiu) but not many people have an n64 or are willing to dish out the money to but one. The same goes for the controllers.

Greed-checkTheTek

Smash Ace
o
Mostly because of it's age and the difficulties that come with that. i.e. finding good controllers, people to play with, etc.

It can also be a money issue because people already own systems that can play all of the other smash games (wii & wiiu) but not many people have an n64 or are willing to dish out the money to but one. The same goes for the controllers.
I wonder if smash 64 will die out soon 3:

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
Gave smash 4 a chance. Watched the whole top 8, I already can see it becoming brawl 2.0 it's either shiek or diddy that spams the same moves over and over or just a camp fest

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
That point when Dabuz was down 2-0 with M2K and then switched to Olimar to come back with 3 wins and take the whole set was such a highlight to me! Roslaina + Olimar tag team!!!

After watching all those matches and seeing other Diddy's I don't feel like Diddy is that OP but rather ZeRo is INSANE!!! OMFG, like he could have been winning with anyone if he put that much effort into them.

I had lots of fun watching all the different Smash games I think they're all pretty interesting and about equally diverse... well, kind of missed out on seeing any Brawl but I would have liked to...

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Smash 4 was pretty hype, only thing they should have not done was bo5 for everything and streaming winners of Melee after losing a day.

That and axing coaching between games.

True Blue

Smash Lord
Is it possible to see full results for the smash WiiU doubles and singles?
Just wanted to know how I placed and such instead of only knowing that I lost. Lol. Or if someone has a way to read the brackets on challonge in a way for me to figure out the placings.

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
Based on the twitch chats, I understand why you think no one is interested in brawl, but that's actually false. Brawl probably has the smallest following of all smash games, however, that is not a small number considering the size of the smash community. There are likely a few thousand who would have happily watched brawl top 16 live and thousands more who would have watched the youtube videos. Also, brawl top 16 was not a boring metaknight vs ice climbers battle like people imagined. Top 5 had two Snakes, two ZSSs, one Metaknight, and one Ice Climbers.
I too was interested in brawl, it's the smash game I played the most, but in general really few people cared about it, but you may be right, one should like count them, but that's a bit ridiculous

juddy96

Smash Lord
Is it possible to see full results for the smash WiiU doubles and singles?
Just wanted to know how I placed and such instead of only knowing that I lost. Lol. Or if someone has a way to read the brackets on challonge in a way for me to figure out the placings.
Who did you get eliminated by? Brackets aren't updated, but I should be able to figure out your placing.

ninrok

Smash Cadet
NNID
rokninja
Smash 4 was pretty hype, only thing they should have not done was bo5 for everything and streaming winners of Melee after losing a day.

That and axing coaching between games.
I do agree on the bo5 thing, I was surprised they decided to have that much of it be Bo5. At least in every other tourney I've ever watched ever, AT MOST Bo5 is reserved for Winners/Losers/Grand Finals.

I wouldn't say kill coaching altogether, but yeah, limit it for sure. Like, a minute at most. That combined with the stage selection process between each match made it feel like halftime between matches.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
There was 9 different characters used in top 8 in smash 4 and 17 different characters in top 16 that is pretty diverse and don't look at it as diddy kong winning it was CT Zero winning because of how good he is at the game.
No one is good at the game yet. There's only average as of now; good is when you've had at least six to seven months experience, and professional is when you have had more than a year of experience and do well either online or offline in tournaments.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
No one is good at the game yet. There's only average as of now; good is when you've had at least six to seven months experience, and professional is when you have had more than a year of experience and do well either online or offline in tournaments.
Your view of a player's skill seems flawed to me. Skill comes partly from natural ability and mostly from effort put into the task. I don't think you need more than a year of something to be professional. Some people pick things up and adapt at alarming rates.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
I enjoyed Smash 4 at Apex. Even though there wasn't much Diddy, and only one set had frequent time outs, it still managed to look awful, and I'm grateful people are realizing the game's flaws.
Obligatory hateful comment aside, this tournament was beyond fantastic to watch. In addition to everyone managing to salvage the tournament despite Murphy's Law, it was an excellent event with a lot of great matches. A lot of games going to game 5 in Melee, which is always a good sign. Perhaps it's just my PPMD bias, but this is an easy contender for best tournament, right up there with BH4.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
4x Diddy players (main or secondary, as listed) in Smash 4 top 16. 5x Fox players in Melee top 16.

Seems legit.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
K, I'm just getting back to Canada by bus from this.

Just gonna say a couple things: Apex itself was a ton of fun, this was the first time I ever made it out of pools round 1, and the venue (the 2nd one at least) was awesome. Played a lot of friendlies, and met many amazing people, got to talk to Mew2King breifly, NAKAT hanging out with Canada, and got some drinks with Toronto and Montreal. Shoutouts to KirbyKaze for repping Canada in Melee, Ally for winning Brawl and playing some drunk Mario Party with us on Friday, and TO Joe for winning the award. I should've left with you for Toronto when you did, but well, I wanted to see top 8. Oh, and of course, SuperBoomFan from Alberta for winning N64 (if that's where you are and haven't moved again!)

With that said, the tournament was far, far from smooth. A venue relocation caused by a poor first venue made this more work than it should have, especially for those out of the country. This trip has been absolute hell for the Canadians and the other international players. Also, this is not the venue nor Apex staffs fault, but the horrible attitude displayed by some of the crowd during Smash4 was disgusting beyond belief.

To the Melee elitists in the crowd: shame on all of you. Booing Smash4, cheering for Zero and then yelling at him and Dabuz to get offstage for Melee... Apex isn't about just you. Stop being so ****ing greedy and childish. I'm a Melee competitor too, but I ain't about that. You make me ashamed to say I like Melee. You know who you are. Fun fact: Melee took the same amount of time as Smash4 finals. How would you feel if Melee ran first and the Smash4 crowd yelled you off?
We were all in a tight schedule. For crying out loud, we lost an entire DAY due to relocation of the venue, it's not SmashWiiUs fault the tourney ran late. It's just plain rude and absolutely shameful to boo others and take their moment away. We were all tired, the tourney was reduced to 2 days, this was not another game's fault, and the Smash4 players do not deserve that.
I'm not responding to any replies justifying this behavior: I was there in the crowd and I know what it was like. Sad to say but the crowd last night made me ashamed of being a Melee player, now that this will reflect on the Melee fanbase. I do not want others thinking that about a game I love.

To Apex staff: the last minute venue change, unlocking setups for 64 and Smash4 the night before, and everything that followed was unexpected. I get that. Still, it was rough on us international players and volunteers. Please, please make sure that the venue choice made next year is a solid one. Can't stress enough how mad hard and stressed we were, make sure the venue is good for next year. This was very, very stressful on all of us.

About the Clarion hotel: this was a mediocre place to have the tourney. The building was worn down, sketchy manager who apparently got fined for negligence then later arrested for having no permits, and the hotel attendants and staff were plain rude at many times. There were only 2 elevators with 25 ppl max for +1000 entrants to use. The WiiU and 64 setups having to be unlocked the night before was bad, but when I was helping unlock them, me and other volunteers saw the roof leaking in the ballroom. Geez.

The worst part was relocation the next day: the shuttles were provided but were unreliable. If you don't believe me, ask Eddy Mexico: on Sunday morning, he and his friends from Mexico were on the same shuttle as us. It was supposed to be there at 10:15am, but we didn't get moving until 11am. He was running late and almost got DQd. Please avoid switching venues at all costs next year, because it costed me, Meekspeedy, KirbyKaze, Ally, TO Joe, and the other Canadian and International players - including the Japanese who played with us Friday night, whose tags other than Choco I forget atm - an eye and an arm to relocate and take cabs. Some of us like Meek were lucky to have connections, but others paid out of thier pocket. Remember we internationals do not have the benefits of data plans or calling plans, this isn't easy for us, let alone know the area. We can not just simply switch hotels.

I'm not saying I didn't have fun: the tournament was amazing, the best matches I've ever seen unfolded right in front of me. I played friendlies with people from all over the world, I talked to Blue and other players after playing with them, and the best part was the sheer amount of people creating an intense atmosphere. I could just walk up to anyone and talk about the thing I love the most: Smash. But, it was at a cost that maxed out my cards and put us in tough schedules going back. Alex Strife isn't here any more to direct the tourney (I'm sure he had something to do with choosing that awful hotel as former director, I'm speculating here tho), so no johns next year to choose an appropriate place next time. I look forward to next year myself: I expect amazing things after seeing this years amazing matches and the incredible venue Twitch so graciously gave us.

See you all next year, hopefully the crap attitude from Melee elitists isn't a problem next year, and I hope to see an even bigger Apex next year!

Last edited:

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
yeah still too early of a metagame and too little amount of characters being explored it will be a while before the metagame changes when everyone gets used to the characters and start using the advanced movement options we already know of and people are finally finding ways around diddy though that monkey still needs a slight nerf that up air kills too early

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
K, I'm just getting back to Canada by bus from this.

Just gonna say a couple things: Apex itself was a ton of fun, this was the first time I ever made it out of pools round 1, and the venue (the 2nd one at least) was awesome. Played a lot of friendlies, and met many amazing people, got to talk to Mew2King breifly, NAKAT hanging out with Canada, and got some drinks with Toronto and Montreal. Shoutouts to KirbyKaze for repping Canada in Melee, Ally for winning Brawl and playing some drunk Mario Party with us on Friday, and TO Joe for winning the award. I should've left with you for Toronto when you did, but well, I wanted to see top 8.

With that said, the tournament was far, far from smooth. This trip has been absolute hell for the Canadians and the other international players. Also, this is not the venue nor Apex staffs fault, but the horrible attitude displayed by some of the crowd during Smash4 was disgusting beyond belief.

To the Melee elitists in the crowd: shame on all of you. Booing Smash4, cheering for Zero, then yelling to get offstage for Melee... Apex isn't about just you. Stop being so ****ing greedy and childish. I'm a Melee competitor too, but I ain't about that. You make me ashamed to say I like Melee. You know who you are. Fun fact: Melee took the same amount of time as Smash4 finals. How would you feel if Melee ran first and the Smash4 crowd yelled you off?
We were all in a tight schedule. For crying out loud, we lost an entire DAY due to relocation of the venue, it's not SmashWiiUs fault the tourney ran late. It's just plain rude and absolutely shameful to boo others and take their moment away. We were all tired, the tourney was reduced to 2 days, this was not another game's fault, and the Smash4 players do not deserve that.
I'm not responding to any replies justifying this behavior: I was there in the crowd and I know what it was like. Sad to say but the crowd last night made me ashamed of being a Melee player, now that this will reflect on the Melee fanbase. I do not want others thinking that about a game I love.

To Apex staff: the last minute venue change, unlocking setups for 64 and Smash4 the night before, and everything that followed was unexpected. I get that. Still, it was rough on us international players and volunteers. Please, please make sure the venue is good for next year. This was very, very stressful on all of us.
About the Clarion hotel: this was a mediocre place to have the tourney. The building was worn down, sketchy manager who apparently got fined for negligence then later arrested for having no permits, and the hotel attendants and staff were plain rude at many times. There were only 2 elevators with 25 ppl max for +100 entrants to use. The WiiU and 64 setups having to be unlocked the night before was bad, but when I was helping unlock them, me and other volunteers saw the roof leaking in the ballroom. Geez.
The worst part was relocation the next day: please avoid this at all costs next year, because it costed me, Meekspeedy, KirbyKaze, Ally, TO Joe, and the other Canadian and International players - including the Japanese who played with us Friday night, whose tags other than Choco I forget atm - an eye and an arm to relocate and take cabs. Some of us like Meek were lucky to have connections, but others paid out of thier pocket. Remember we do not have the benefits of data plans or calling plans, this isn't easy for us.
I'm not saying I didn't have fun: the tournament was amazing, the best matches I've ever seen unfolded right in front of me. I played friendlies with people from all over the world, I talked to Blue and other players after playing with them, and the best part was the sheer amount of people creating an intense atmosphere. I could just walk up to anyone and talk about the thing I love the most: Smash. But, it was at a cost that maxed out my cards and put us in tough schedules going back. Alex Strife isn't here any more to direct the tourney (I'm sure he had something to do with choosing that awful hotel as former director, I'm speculating here tho), so no johns next year to choose an appropriate place next time. I look forward to next year myself: I expect amazing things after seeing this years amazing matches and the incredible venue Twitch so graciously gave us.

See you all next year, hopefully the crap attitude from Melee elitists isn't a problem next year, and I hope to see an even bigger Apex next year!
This is my biggest issue with Smash in general, I love the game, and love the fact the community back it so strongly. However, i am disappointed by the huge amounts of negativity in the scene.
It's actually really sad, even in my local scene, the smash community just breeds this disgusting negativity.

KLUTZNCUTZ

Smash Rookie
I agree the melee fanboy elitist behavior was very unsportsman like and disrespectful. There were almost as many smash 4 entrants as melee evidence by the prize money. You ruined Zeros win. It isn't fair that he didn't get to enjoy his victory. Also must everyone be reminded that the tournament was condensed into 2 days which is why melee took so long to get on stage.
On another note diddy kong won cause Zero is the first smash 4 god. Dabuz did a great job too and quit hating on him for playing defensive. A good game will have a balance of defensive and offensive players which smash 4 has. Dabuz just couldn't stop Zeros rush down.
As a whole I believe the biggest problem for the smash 4 community and tournament scene is the blind melee fanboys who think there version of smash is better than all others and that it is the only game that deserves screen time.

TweetyPurd

Smash Apprentice
Does anybody else think that Amsa wore out mango?
Mango looked dissapointed after leffen, but he still looked pumped and determined
But after Amsa he just looked tired
Not johnning for Mango, not getting 'tired' is somthing every player needs to get over in a tournament, PPMD said in his interview that when he felt tired he switched to marth because falco wore him out

Kurogal

Smash Apprentice
United States of America - State of California
NNID
LaharlOnKonata
To the Melee elitists in the crowd: shame on all of you. Booing Smash4, cheering for Zero, then yelling to get offstage for Melee... Apex isn't about just you.
What' wrong with cheering for ZeRo, or did you mean they did something negative instead?
Because when I think of cheering I think of stuff like Mango's USA crowd chant.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I hate how non final smash 64 sets were streamed while not one minute of brawl was streamed. This was possibly brawl's last national and they couldn't record one set when it was definitely possible.
edit: I think Smash 64 is a great game and deserved stream time as well, but not even brawl GF was streamed.
64 was supposed to be on the main stream, for both part of pools as well as top 8. It was changed due to the 2 day schedule and most of the matches that were supposed to be streamde were instead done on an alt stream. Blame the fact that they decided to do all of the winners top 48 as well as Teams for smash 4/64.

Brawl top 16 was supposed to have been done but honestly, the smaller events get the shaft, and that is acceptable.

Top Bottom