• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2014 - January 17th, 2014 - Somerset, NJ - Registration is up! $5,000+ in Prizes

W.C.N

Smash Lord
I believe mr strife is working on getting more rooms for apex

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
stuff yer face is not good...ya'll are buggin.

nuebies/hansel/hong kong kitchen = the BEST food joints in the rutgers area

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Unfortunately yes, but I think the staff said they're looking into logistics for increasing the cap.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk 2

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I think Stuff Yer Face tastes great. Sure its more expensive than grease trucks, but still.

Kinda mad there are no free refills though, but apparently thats a northern thing?

Also Ed if I make this trip AYCE ribs is happening again we will cab your crippled ass those 5 miles

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
According to R3NO, Jet Blue has a 20% off deal going on TODAY ONLY.

His fb post:

"Hey everyone! So Apex is around the corner in Jan. I have a sweet deal for you! Jet Blue take 20% off your airfare! Book TODAY for travel 12/3 - 12/18 (Smashacre) and 1/7 - 2/12 (APEX)

Use promo code: COLDTURKEY

Dude 20% off!!!!! is like $60!!!!! (off a $300 RT fare from W/C)"

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
im trying to find flight deals from Kansas City -> Newark, if anyone knows of any please let me know.

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
all games are using bracket pools
Did you know that generating fair pools for "Bracket pools" with a seeded list of all players, is LITERALLY the SAME thing as having ONE large BRACKET. So please stop calling it bracket pools. It's just one bracket.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
So, did you know that when you try to bring up a moot point about the naming of how pools are run and try to come off as a smartass, you're likely to get got if you don't have your facts straight? Well, now you do :laugh:
um well according to this

not this year. You start the final bracket in losers if you get second in your pool. Like evo. It's essentially one big bracket split into smaller brackets for organizational purposes.
src: http://smashboards.com/threads/apex-2014-january-17-19-2013-somerset-nj.338965/page-13#post-16012848

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
ah ok. In that case they changed it. Haha my bad I apologize to you Karajan

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Quick question to the TOs, the first post in this thread says that all games (besides Smash) will be played on Xbox. However, the registration says that Tekken will be PS3. Which is it?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Did you know that generating fair pools for "Bracket pools" with a seeded list of all players, is LITERALLY the SAME thing as having ONE large BRACKET. So please stop calling it bracket pools. It's just one bracket.
Even if it is just one big bracket, it's actually a bit misleading to communicate "one big bracket" to attendees, because that doesn't indicate when you stop playing on Day 1. I like the "bracket pool" terminology because it indicates a clear cutoff from the initial stage of the tournament to the next. Each player is able to see their "bracket pool" and know exactly how many wins are required in order to advance to Day 2; on the other hand, if each player were to be presented one big bracket, it would be very unclear how many wins are required in order to advance to the next stage of the tournament.

So no, it's not literally the same thing when you take scheduling into consideration. Historically, "one big bracket" implies that Smashers are to play out all their tournament obligations on the same day until they are eliminated. Whereas "pools" implies an initial stage of the tournament where Smashers play a fixed number of matches (or fixed maximum number of matches, in this case) before the next stage of the tournament which occurs much later in the schedule.

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
Even if it is just one big bracket, it's actually a bit misleading to communicate "one big bracket" to attendees, because that doesn't indicate when you stop playing on Day 1. I like the "bracket pool" terminology because it indicates a clear cutoff from the initial stage of the tournament to the next. Each player is able to see their "bracket pool" and know exactly how many wins are required in order to advance to Day 2; on the other hand, if each player were to be presented one big bracket, it would be very unclear how many wins are required in order to advance to the next stage of the tournament.

So no, it's not literally the same thing when you take scheduling into consideration. Historically, "one big bracket" implies that Smashers are to play out all their tournament obligations on the same day until they are eliminated. Whereas "pools" implies an initial stage of the tournament where Smashers play a fixed number of matches (or fixed maximum number of matches, in this case) before the next stage of the tournament which occurs much later in the schedule.
No. If the pools are seeded fairly with M players, so you see [seed(1) vs seed(M)], [seed(2) vs seed(M-1)], etc in the first round, and each pool has equal seed average, then it is literally identical to one bracket except for an extra round granted to the person that gets second in their bracket.

Even for scheduling, you just say to people that you are only running the first N rounds of winners in day 1, where N = LOG2(number players you want in a "pool"), and it can be scheduled the same.

Edit: After losers finals in the "pool", you have someone who has 1 loss and you have someone with no loses. If they were to use that as the seeding for the actual bracket, then it is identical. If they play a grand finals, then someone with 2 set losses will still get to go the final bracket.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
that's confusing to your average player, bracket pools allows the tournament to run more smoothly in general
and this is how EVO itself is run, which is why we're using it

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Personally I'm glad APEX is doing bracket pools. A major issue APEX has had in prior years is number of setups, the tournament taking too much time, and not having many friendlies. With true bracket pools (and not the fake ones from last year) you save yourself a good chunk of time and there aren't weird situations where a player is allowed to lose 3 times instead of 2. It just isn't logistically possible with so many freaking games. Good stuff APEX staff.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
Personally I'm glad APEX is doing bracket pools. A major issue APEX has had in prior years is number of setups, the tournament taking too much time, and not having many friendlies. With true bracket pools (and not the fake ones from last year) you save yourself a good chunk of time and there aren't weird situations where a player is allowed to lose 3 times instead of 2. Good stuff APEX staff.
ok my memory fails, what did they run last year

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
They ran "bracket pools" where the top 4 of the bracket all went into a re-seeded 128 man bracket, all in winners. Several players actually lost 4 sets in the tournament last year, which kind of defeats the purpose of running bracket pools.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
They ran "bracket pools" where the top 4 of the bracket all went into a re-seeded 128 man bracket, all in winners. Several players actually lost 4 sets in the tournament last year, which kind of defeats the purpose of running bracket pools.

ooooh that's why some FGC people said the bracket system was confusing

Vegard

Smash Lord
That sounded like the best idea to do it by far imo. It allows us unseeded players that are prevented from attendning "road to apex" tournaments to get seeded in bracket pools.

So in other words: Can someone please clarify this? Bracket pools, which will be "extended" into one big bracket? Or bracket pools -- seeding -- generate bracket?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
No. If the pools are seeded fairly with M players, so you see [seed(1) vs seed(M)], [seed(2) vs seed(M-1)], etc in the first round, and each pool has equal seed average, then it is literally identical to one bracket except for an extra round granted to the person that gets second in their bracket.

Even for scheduling, you just say to people that you are only running the first N rounds of winners in day 1, where N = LOG2(number players you want in a "pool"), and it can be scheduled the same.

Edit: After losers finals in the "pool", you have someone who has 1 loss and you have someone with no loses. If they were to use that as the seeding for the actual bracket, then it is identical. If they play a grand finals, then someone with 2 set losses will still get to go the final bracket.
You still don't get the point.

Structurally "one big bracket" and "bracket pools" are the same, but scheduling-wise they are very different. The former historically implies a non-stop run through the event, while the latter historically implies an initial stage of the tournament that provides attendees a break before the next stage of the tournament.

Anyone who has hosted a large-scale tournament knows these aren't literally the same. Pretending otherwise would be a communication failure on the part of the TO and likely result in confusion among attendees.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Bracket pools allow the TO to adjust the seeding half-way through the tournament. You can even have multiple rounds of bracket pools. It's definitely not the same as one big bracket.

:059:

smashmachine

Smash Lord
Bracket pools allow the TO to adjust the seeding half-way through the tournament. You can even have multiple rounds of bracket pools. It's definitely not the same as one big bracket.

:059:

.....well I don't think reseeding is going to be a thing, at least it wasn't at evo

Top Bottom