• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Anything Can Change! - The Chrom Social Thread (Now with a Proper Victory Theme!)

What should we call Chrom's infamous zero-to-death Soaring Slash suicide string?

• Total voters

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Except Lucina (at least Dark Pit did have the same animations as Pit for the most part...probably, and some of Simon's moves come from Richter).
Lucina is really missing a unique idle stance, even Chrom and Daisy have different ones, and in the case of Richter he bounces more quickly than Simon, but Lucina just uses Marth's old idle.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Lucina is really missing a unique idle stance, even Chrom and Daisy have different ones, and in the case of Richter he bounces more quickly than Simon, but Lucina just uses Marth's old idle.
And I hate it. Just about everyone else got one except Dark Pit who probably (I haven't gone back to check so don't hold me to it) always shared Pit's. Do they not care about Lucina or do they actually think it's accurate somehow?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But didn't Marth's change in this game?
I don't think so. His idle animation from his character showcase trailer looks the same as it's always been.

Arthur97

Smash Master
But didn't Marth's change in this game?
I've read that it changed, but that's not the point. Lucina has a rather signature idle pose of her own that goes unused. Even Warriors which still make her a clone did that much.

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I've read that it changed, but that's not the point. Lucina has a rather signature idle pose of her own that goes unused. Even Warriors which still make her a clone did that much.
I think it meant that one of his idle animations changed, not his idle stance. Either way, it's possible that Lucina's could maybe change before launch idk. Probably not though if it hasn't already.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I don't think so. His idle animation from his character showcase trailer looks the same as it's always been.
It's a rather small change, in Ultimate Marth bouces more to the sides, whereas in Smash 4 and past games he bounces up and down, again it is subtle and Smash Ultimate has a lot of further refined and stylized animations.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I think it meant that one of his idle animations changed, not his idle stance. Either way, it's possible that Lucina's could maybe change before launch idk. Probably not though if it hasn't already.
I kind of doubt it will change this far into it. Maybe they at least fixed her lines.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Nintendo of Japan in YouTube just brought us first footage of Chrom:

Can't handle my excitement, he looks to be solid so far~! :colorful:

Also Opossum Opossum look forward to the end of the video!

Last edited:

Jiac

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jiac2001
Unfortunate that Roy's Up-Air didn't get buffed.

Chrom's Up-Air won't kill, but he can't kill confirm off the Sour Hit of Up-Air like Roy.

Dope that I get to know Roy's Up-Air has 9 frames of lag now though.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Wow, this seems to confirm the worst, they really didn't give her anything substantial, did they? Also, I hope you can turn the map thing off. Looks kind of distracting.

Oh, and the video says Nintendo UK, not Japan.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Unfortunate that Roy's Up-Air didn't get buffed.

Chrom's Up-Air won't kill, but he can't kill confirm off the Sour Hit of Up-Air like Roy.

Dope that I get to know Roy's Up-Air has 9 frames of lag now though.
So they removed U-Air's combo utility for no reason.

What the hell. :mad088:

Edit: Read it wrong, apparently it might be that the end lag is now 9 as opposed to 14 from before.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Fitting though that Chrom and Lucina teamed up to take down a giant dragon. :p

FE_SLaDe

Smash Apprentice
Too early to make any judgement but those landing lag reductions are gonna have huger implications than people seem to think. Shame his up-air (and by extension Roy's) doesn't seem to be much better but landing lag decreases are gonna help our combo game a bit.

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
Somethings I saw was Jab to F-air, and that F-air was is stronger or maybe it was the stage giving the illusion of it being stronger. Jab to N-air is probably going to be a thing still.

Seeing this video also makes me hope that online doubles won't be timed and will have Team Attack on.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Any eagle eyes notice whether Chrom has any other differences from Roy aside from the Aether-like recovery? It seems Chrom does not have any sweet/sourspots like Lucina.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Here's some data

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Don’t know if this applies to Roy as well, but back air can kill at decent percents. Vocalizes during his counter but the obnoxiously loud hit sound effects obscured his voice, and up special has the same animation in the air as it does on the ground, including the initial launching hit. Shame we didn’t see down air or down smash.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I think the fact Chrom's moves are barely weaker than Roy's when sweetspotted might mean that Roy's sweetspot is going to get buffed.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I think the fact Chrom's moves are barely weaker than Roy's when sweetspotted might mean that Roy's sweetspot is going to get buffed.
I hope so. Roy was my favorite of the two FE dudes in Melee so I welcome any buffs he gets, especially as Chrom is much easier to use and more versatile with his balanced Falchion, Roy needs an extra edge to help separate the two out a bit.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Don’t know if this applies to Roy as well, but back air can kill at decent percents. Vocalizes during his counter but the obnoxiously loud hit sound effects obscured his voice, and up special has the same animation in the air as it does on the ground, including the initial launching hit. Shame we didn’t see down air or down smash.
Meanwhile I was trying to figure out what he was saying during his up special.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I hope so. Roy was my favorite of the two FE dudes in Melee so I welcome any buffs he gets, especially as Chrom is much easier to use and more versatile with his balanced Falchion, Roy needs an extra edge to help separate the two out a bit.
Unfortunately, Roy is one of those characters that might never be given the buffs he needs in an official Smash Bros. game or proper balancing versus other Fire Emblem characters. Project M shows that Roy can be good with the base-sweetspot, but I am not confident that Sakurai's team knows that Roy does not stack well outside of casual settings, so thus he thinks just giving him a powerful f-smash is enough for him to call it a day on Roy.

Last edited:

FE_SLaDe

Smash Apprentice
This is my hope cuz you also gotta take into consideration that the 1v1 damage buffs didn't apply as well (since it was a doubles match). I have high hopes that Roy's sweetspots are a fair bit stronger, though the idea of an even stronger F-Smash sounds ridiculous.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Happy to see the damage skews closer to Roy's hilt than the tip, and this is without the damage multiplier, too. Dancing Blade might reliably kill, too?

This character looks hype. I can't wait for him.

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
This is my hope cuz you also gotta take into consideration that the 1v1 damage buffs didn't apply as well (since it was a doubles match). I have high hopes that Roy's sweetspots are a fair bit stronger, though the idea of an even stronger F-Smash sounds ridiculous.
Roy's issue was always more with the lag on his moves-- a speed increase instead of a damage one would probably be more of a consistent buff; Roy's sweetspots getting stupider would be something, though.

Merfect

Learn your true self
NNID
Merfectman
Just wanted to express my hype for Chrom. I didn’t think he’d make it in, but as a Great Lord once said, ANYTHING CAN CHANGE!
Also, the idea of playing a balanced blade version of Roy sounds really fun to me, regardless of where he ends up tier wise ^.^

ArkhaosZero

Smash Cadet
Happy to see the damage skews closer to Roy's hilt than the tip, and this is without the damage multiplier, too. Dancing Blade might reliably kill, too?

This character looks hype. I can't wait for him.
Marth's Dancing Blade kills at ~90% at edge, which is quite a buff. Of course this doesn't necessarily translate to Chrom, but it's something to note. It also got a slight frame nerf from 6 to 9 at startup.

At the very least, transitioning through the move is a hell of a lot more reliable, DB1 has much better range, and Nair1/Improved Uair landing lag might allow a confirm directly into it.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Chrom is looking like a very fun character to play, i might just say sorry to Roy since i could end up using Chrom more.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Here's some data
Does this factor in the sh attack modifier?

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
That's a good question, I also wonder how different these percents will be in 1v1?
Multiply the damage by 1.2.
Also take into account the freshness multiplier if it's the first time using the move. For example in the video the first move Chrom does is a full hop Fair and does 9.4% on Dark Samus. That's because 9 * 1.05 = 9.45 (11.34 in a 1v1 with no items)
The first move he does in Sudden Death is Short Hop Fair which did 8% on Ridley because 9 * 0.85 * 1.05 = 8 (9.639 in a 1v1 with no items)

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I made an eight color palette swap of Chrom and thought to try posting it here to see how it goes. I’ve made others for the newcomers as well as potential ones later.
AFAF9342-A2D2-495E-868C-02DE71DA0443.png

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
They look pretty nice I like 4 and 6 the most.
Crap on a stick that image somehow went to crap when I uploaded it. Added a much better version.

Red is based off his screenshot on the site.
Yellow is based off his sister.
Light blue is based off concept art and Lucina
Green is based off that green knight dude
Grey is based off the really big Knight guy
Black is based off crazy King guy
White is based off heroes outfit

I don’t know FE character names

Last edited:
Top Bottom