• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Luma has a completely separate moveset from Rosalina and moves rather independently, moreso than Nana if controlled properly. Nana is literally a second Popo. RosaLuma's more complex.

But that's off-topic, and no amount of crossed-out half "on-topic" line changes that.
I understand that. My last post was full of lies. This has just been a speculation going around.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
As of now, I think the "Anything Can Change" slogan goes against the idea of Chrom in Smash, since Chrom seems so likely at this point. :p

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
The problem I have with Chrom is that he isn't as much about raw power as Ike, and not as agile as Marth, he's probably going to be in the middle. As much as I like FE:A, I care more about the gameplay than about who makes it in, and having a character that is a cross between two others is just not interesting.

However, if they do something more interesting like pairing him with Lucina or Robin where they alternate their attacks or something along those lines, then that would be a character I'll look forward to!
If you only care about the gameplay than some other character outside FE can replace ike playstyle.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I prefer to see it as his "still-not-yet-confirmed" status as the thing that's subject to change. :p

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I still think Ike can stay. Especially if they give Chrom the Fire Emblem as a shield in his moveset.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
As of now, I think the "Anything Can Change" slogan goes against the idea of Chrom in Smash, since Chrom seems so likely at this point. :p
You're just now realizing that bit of beautiful irony?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
But what could it do differently from Link's shield?
Good question.

However, that would still differentiate him from Marth and Ike. He wouldn't play like Link considering the whole projectile user concept that Link has. I would say the shield could have something to do in his moveset, like maybe a shield bash or something. But I'm not really paying too much attention to my laptop right now so maybe I'll come up with something later.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Good question.

However, that would still differentiate him from Marth and Ike. He wouldn't play like Link considering the whole projectile user concept that Link has. I would say the shield could have something to do in his moveset, like maybe a shield bash or something. But I'm not really paying too much attention to my laptop right now so maybe I'll come up with something later.
Well using assets from a different character is nothing new (Greninja) so I guess functioning like Link's shield wouldn't be a major problem.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
But what could it do differently from Link's shield?
Here's some ideas I wrote some time ago:

In my moveset, Chrom can pull out the Shield of Seals, which creates a slow moving, weak shock wave. Any projectile that hits the wave gets reflected, so it is a reflector (similar to Hsien-ko's gong in MvC3). However, absorbing/canceling projectiles is another idea. Similar to PSI Magnet, a move could absorb projectiles, and once absorbed, some sort of effect happens. Chrom could be powered up in some way, maybe buffing his defence or offence...
Some one mentioned equipping the Shield of Seals in a moveset. Not sure if it could be tricky to implant in the context of Smash, though I'm sure it can be done right... Though I don't really know myself, here are some ideas:

- Have the shield work like Link's. Wherever the shield's static position is, it will have a hitbox. The shield will block most projectiles if hit. Perhaps Chrom can also block attacks when moving and in the air

- Have the ability to bring out the shield during any attack/combo/whatever without any lag to block incoming attacks. Don't know how that will turn out...

- Have the Shield of Seals literally be Chrom's Shield, similar to how Yoshi has his own special shield. Chrom will bring out the shield in front of him as it glows. The shield "bubble" will look more distinguished, and the shield itself will have higher defences, causing the shield to not shrink. This prevents shield stabbing/poking and the shield could also have a faster restore time. Perhaps Chrom won't get stunned when the shield happens to get shattered, but just being unable to shield until the normal duration of the stun time is over (a few seconds). Of course this needs to be balanced, though I'm really not fond of the idea of not being able to jump out of shielding...
Honesty, I like the third idea just because I don't think any other fighter has a unique shield similar to Yoshi (especially if Chrom always has the shield out)... I think you could do a lot with changing the properties of a fighter's shield.

Of course there's always a specific shield move Chrom could have. Yeah, I've seen the shield bash idea popped up a few times, which is cool. I like the weapon though... it's a shame if we don't see the Shield of Seals in Smash (at least a trophy. It's pretty important, no?).

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I still think Ike can stay. Especially if they give Chrom the Fire Emblem as a shield in his moveset.
this, this, I like how the did Ike so he is very different than Marth. and wouldnt mind havig Marth, ike and chrom. but why make chrom the middleground between ike and marth while he can be something else entirely?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
What's with the interest in the Shield of Seals? It's not as if Chrom was the first Lord to carry it. I doubt Sakurai would feel the need to have Chrom use it if Marth didn't.
Make Chrom throw his shield like Captain America.

Problem solved.
He should throw his sword instead. :troll:

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What's with the interest in the Shield of Seals? It's not as if Chrom was the first Lord to carry it. I doubt Sakurai would feel the need to have Chrom use it if Marth didn't.

He should throw his sword instead. :troll:
I think perhaps one difference is that Chrom has been seen promoted before while holding the Shield of Seals. IIRC, he carried it in Monster Hunter, too. So it's not too farfetch'd to see it in Smash, I think

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I think perhaps one difference is that Chrom has been seen promoted before while holding the Shield of Seals. IIRC, he carried it in Monster Hunter, too. So it's not too farfetch'd to see it in Smash, I think
Marth carried the SoS in FE3. I still don't see what the big deal is.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Marth carried the SoS in FE3. I still don't see what the big deal is.
I guess it's more just that "Well, Marth doesn't use it, so it can be an option for Chrom." That sort of thing.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah, I think the difference between Chrom having it and Marth having it is that Marth didn't use it in his first game, and it isn't as say, attached to his character as it is for Chrom.

Not to mention the much greater volume of people who played Awakening over FE3 and would more like associate it with Chrom.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, I definitely think familiarity would play a part in it.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Watch people say this means Chrom won't be in the game, because they're still on the "two Fire Emblem lords only yada-yada" train.

I look forward to them being just as wrong as they were when they said Ike wasn't coming back.

Now I'm full speed ahead on the hype train for Chrom!

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think this improves his odds. If Ike can get in, there's no way in hell Chrom can't. He looks like unlockable character material though, so I don't think we'll get to see him until launch or a leak.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
This thread is so quiet now...
I'd say that's a good thing, lest we go through another "Greninja/Mewtwo blame game" deal.

The two are like day and slightly later afternoon night. Comparing them/using "x = y, z is more/less likely" logic won't change a thing.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I've never though Ike being in would mean Chrom couldn't be or vice versa. In my ideal world we'd get all three, which I think is really a pretty decent possibility. I'm almost positive there will be at least some awakening rep at the least, Lucina and Robin are definitely in the running but I still am of the opinion that Chrom is most likely.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Personally I think this confirms Chrom... to be a clone of Marth/Ike (unless Sakurai can pull of 3 different FE swordsman movesets?).

D

Deleted member

Well, Ike is in. Good, as it means Chrom won't replace him.

This actually gives me some hope we'll see an unique Chrom since Sakurai won't have the excuse of making Chrom a Ike 2.0 replacement.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I honestly think this improves his odds. If Ike can get in, there's no way in hell Chrom can't. He looks like unlockable character material though, so I don't think we'll get to see him until launch or a leak.
Yeah, Chrom is definitely unlockable now, three FE starting characters would be a bit overkill I think for a franchise that has always had one or two unlockables in each game. FE doesn't quite have the same excuse as Kirby either where all the characters were pretty essential to the SSE plot from start to finish. So yeah, I think it's safe to say that unless Sakurai magically reveals the whole roster at E3 Chrom will have to wait until the 3DS version's release.

No doubt he's in though, and I'm fairly certain he's going to be the middle-ground between Marth and Ike now.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Personally, I think that with both Marth and Ike confirmed, the possibility of a Chrom reveal trailer increased, so in that sense I'm anticipating him more.

I mean, otherwise, why reveal him now?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
With Ike and Marth back now, I think people will be more open to Chrom's reveal whenever it happens.

Keep in mind some things, though. Ike's reveal doesn't help Chrom's odds (The Sal Leak, however...). As well, he may still be a starter, as past unlockables have been shown early before (Luigi, Marth, Sonic, Toon Link, Lucario, and not to mention the fact that Rosalina and Greninja are likely hidden characters).

That being said, let's appreciate Ike's return. It'll soften the blow of Chrom to the detractors at the least. :p

Toastie

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't be surprised if Ike was being revealed now so that, if Chrom is shown off at E3, there won't be any fears that he is being replaced. I'm actually really pleased with Ike's return. If we do get Chrom, it should mean that he gets a unique playstyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom