• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Please don't write anymore text blocks. At any rate, this isn't the "Robin is good because of this" thread. There's already a thread for that.

Ugh, I just want this to all be over already...

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Please don't right anymore text blocks. At any rate, this isn't the "Robin is good because of this" thread. There's already a thread for that.

To be fair, if people want to come here to express that they believe that there is a better option than Chrom, this is a place to do that.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Please don't right anymore text blocks. At any rate, this isn't the "Robin is good because of this" thread. There's already a thread for that.

Me, too... At the very least we'll see who made it in and who didn't.

...And then maybe we can all let this go peacefully?

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
My expectation for Chrom is that his originality won't be something as out there as we're thinking, like draining or power up (no offense to Hong and Opossum, both your movesets are great). Ike's main claim to fame gameplay-wise (imo) isn't that he's a heavy swordsman. It's that, with Quick Draw, he's a heavy character who's also able to cover distances at a decent rate. I expect something similar for Chrom.

Morbi

Scavenger
My expectation for Chrom is that his originality won't be something as out there as we're thinking, like draining or power up (no offense to Hong and Opossum, both your movesets are great). Ike's main claim to fame gameplay-wise (imo) isn't that he's a heavy swordsman. It's that, with Quick Draw, he's a heavy character who's also able to cover distances at a decent rate. I expect something similar for Chrom.
Why does everyone feel as though Chrom would be a heavy weight character. I NEVER really got that from Awakening. It wasn't as though he was a big guy, it wasn't as though he was weighed down by armor. It isn't as though he does some of the most damage either. I mean, he just seemed "average" to me. But I could be wrong.

Hong

The Strongest
Anything in regards to the inclusion of Ike, Chrom, or Lucina, will have controversial implications.

It doesn't have to be this way, but that is how it is. It's almost as bad as a religious or political discussion.

In regards to my moveset, it has been largely invalidated since the latest Direct. Both WFT and Little Mac have absorbed whatever interesting qualities I had. At this point I just assume Chrom will simply inherit and improve upon Ike's formula, though I am 100% okay with being wrong.

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Why does everyone feel as though Chrom would be a heavy weight character. I NEVER really got that from Awakening. It wasn't as though he was a big guy, it wasn't as though he was weighed down by armor. It isn't as though he does some of the most damage either. I mean, he just seemed "average" to me. But I could be wrong.
:confused:I never said Chrom would be heavy weight. Simply that, rather than a gimmick, he'd probably get a special that affects his game greatly without seeming 'unordinary' or 'unique'.

Morbi

Scavenger
:confused:I never said Chrom would be heavy weight. Simply that, rather than a gimmick, he'd probably get a special that affects his game greatly without seeming 'unordinary' or 'unique'.
I wasn't necessarily alluding to what you were stating specifically; everyone feels as though he would be able to replace Ike or something. I was just wondering if you knew because you were hinting at something similar.

Hong

The Strongest
Honestly, Chrom being about Captain Falcon weight, sans falling speed, makes sense. Thematically, he is a lightly-armoured swordsman and reasonably built. On the design end, he is likely to have a hitbox appropriate for a humanoid adult, and unlikely to have fast sword strikes like Marth or Meta Knight, so it would be fair as well. Heavier than Mario, but not quite Ganondorf.

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I wasn't necessarily alluding to what you were stating specifically; everyone feels as though he would be able to replace Ike or something. I was just wondering if you knew because you were hinting at something similar.
Yeah, I know people want to get rid of Ike. I don't want him gone. Even though I've never played his game, he fulfills the interesting gameplay niche I stated above (mobile heavyweight).

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah, I know people want to get rid of Ike. I don't want him gone. Even though I've never played his game, he fulfills the interesting gameplay niche I stated above (mobile heavyweight).
Play his game(s), he is best Lord.

As a side note, anybody who wants to get rid of Ike for Chrom is just an idiot. (This is definitely not directed at Second Power here.) Either have both, or don't get rid of Ike, because Chrom's not going to fulfill the same niche as Ike because that's not Chrom's style and would make zero sense. Chrom uses a one-handed weapon, lighter armor and (of lesser importance), the ****ing Fire Emblem as a shield later on. I sure hope that's utilized in some way in his moveset, Great Lord or not. (I mean Ike had his Ranger outfit, but used Ragnell, so I can dream. Then again, he wouldn't have been Ike without Ragnell, so whatevs there.)

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Play his game(s), he is best Lord.
Believe me, I've tried. My ****ty computer can't run GC emulators at any faster than 40% speed, I've asked around my local used game store for a copy of PoR with no luck, and I can't shell out for a copy online.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Chrom will be a heavyweight character because he's going to replace Ike and inherent his playstyle.

Because talent.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Robin should be the new Awakening rep, I just don't like how he is overshadowed by Chrom for being a lord and Ike for being "The Best". If Sakurai puts in Robin, Chrom is sure to come. Chrom by himself doesn't need Robin that much. I don't hate Ike and that text block was not fueled by any form of hate, I just really like giant blocks of words. I'm looking forward to seeing three reps and Robin and Chrom are my ideal choices. It's not just about cutting the fans favorite characters, there needs to be cuts or the series will be overwhelmed by returning veterans. The fans want a fresh characters and keeping everyone is not going to help the situation. Ike is a good character and so are Robin and Chrom, this is what I want...

Shrek>Robin>Chrom>Ike

Here is an idea, I want to know why you guys support Chrom over Robin and Ike.

Last edited:

Tackman91

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tackman91
3DS FC
0259-0399-7980
The problem I have with Chrom is that he isn't as much about raw power as Ike, and not as agile as Marth, he's probably going to be in the middle. As much as I like FE:A, I care more about the gameplay than about who makes it in, and having a character that is a cross between two others is just not interesting.

However, if they do something more interesting like pairing him with Lucina or Robin where they alternate their attacks or something along those lines, then that would be a character I'll look forward to!

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
The problem I have with Chrom is that he isn't as much about raw power as Ike, and not as agile as Marth, he's probably going to be in the middle. As much as I like FE:A, I care more about the gameplay than about who makes it in, and having a character that is a cross between two others is just not interesting.

However, if they do something more interesting like pairing him with Lucina or Robin where they alternate their attacks or something along those lines, then that would be a character I'll look forward to!
impossible, Sakurai is already having trouble with Ice Climbers.

Groose

Smash Champion
I've been told that sympathy is not allowed in a Fire Emblem discussion. Forget that. You have my sympathy--you Chrom supporters have been through a lot, and I apologize for it. I cannot lend my support, but I can grant you that much.

I can't count the number of things I've seen hurled at Chrom. You guys have to deal with people pulling the "blue haired swordsman" and the "not unique" cards all of the time. You also have to deal with the "no cuts" crowd, as many see Chrom as Ike's rival. I understand how frustrating this can be; as a Pac-Man supporter, I have to deal with very similar arguments. You just have to keep on rolling and hold to the support of your character.

In a game with so many potential characters that I either grew up with or think would be awesome, there is little room in my heart for Chrom. Despite that, I will be happy for you guys when he is revealed to be a playable character. You deserve it.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I've been told that sympathy is not allowed in a Fire Emblem discussion. Forget that. You have my sympathy--you Chrom supporters have been through a lot, and I apologize for it. I cannot lend my support, but I can grant you that much.

I can't count the number of things I've seen hurled at Chrom. You guys have to deal with people pulling the "blue haired swordsman" and the "not unique" cards all of the time. You also have to deal with the "no cuts" crowd, as many see Chrom as Ike's rival. I understand how frustrating this can be; as a Pac-Man supporter, I have to deal with very similar arguments. You just have to keep on rolling and hold to the support of your character.

In a game with so many potential characters that I either grew up with or think would be awesome, there is little room in my heart for Chrom. Despite that, I will be happy for you guys when he is revealed to be a playable character. You deserve it.
Someone should make a thread where supporters of unpopular/controversial/persecuted characters (Chrom, Ridley, Pac-Man, Mii, ect.) can gather. A safe haven if you will.

Last edited:

IceyBeef

The Supreme Beef Lord
3DS FC
5069-4117-1821
He might come knowing 3ds coming in summer, Sakurai will have to throw a sh** load of characters out at one time. So hopefully Chrom is one of them.

Last edited:

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
I'm in the "Chrom was confirmed when Awakening was announced" camp but I swear to God if he is somehow in his Great Lord get up with the Exalted Falchion and Fire Emblem shield, I'm gonna be humping Sakurai's leg in spirit all day.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Actually, I think it's a possibility that Chrom DOES get the Fire Emblem as a shield. Even if he doesn't get the Great Lord attire.

I mean, Ike was in Brawl with Ragnell, even without the getup he had when he got it. I don't see why Chrom would be any different in that regard.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Especially when a shield in his moveset could definitely set him apart from the other lords.

Really hoping Sakurai thinks that through.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Marth also has the Falchion. But I will say that Chrom's Exalted Falchion is cooler looking.

Also, Chrom having the Fire Emblem as a shield has never been something I had thought of. It'd be cool to have him be able to shield projectiles and such like Link and Toon Link.

Still doubting he'll get in, though. He's only been in one game, albeit the best-selling one in the series.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Marth also has the Falchion. But I will say that Chrom's Exalted Falchion is cooler looking.

Also, Chrom having the Fire Emblem as a shield has never been something I had thought of. It'd be cool to have him be able to shield projectiles and such like Link and Toon Link.

Still doubting he'll get in, though. He's only been in one game, albeit the best-selling one in the series.
To be fair, Ike only had one game when he was included, although another was planned/in development.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
/Points to Olimar and Rosalina
Lies, lies, LIES! Impossible, Luma and Pikmin are much less complex than Nana. It will take a super computer to process her at 60fps! we cant havee assist rtophy speed nana?!?

Robin is still better though...Shield is nothing compared to magical books!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Lies, lies, LIES! Impossible, Luma and Pikmin are much less complex than Nana. It will take a super computer to process her at 60fps! we cant havee assist rtophy speed nana?!?

Robin is still better though...Shield is nothing compared to magical books!
Luma has a completely separate moveset from Rosalina and moves rather independently, moreso than Nana if controlled properly. Nana is literally a second Popo. RosaLuma's more complex.

But that's off-topic, and no amount of crossed-out half "on-topic" line changes that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom