• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, screw 'em. Ike and Marth distinguish themselves pretty well, no matter who complains that they are just "generic" blue haired* swordsmen. By the way, did anyone complain about Ike and Marth being "redundant" in pre-Brawl era?

*Because, you know, blue hair somehow isn't awesome.
Yes they did, but iirc it wasn't the prevalent opinion.

And I don't think Lyn's fanbase was more dominant than Ike's... just louder and more... passionate, to use a flattering euphemism. :p

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Nuh uh, Mac's FS has him channel the power of steroid abuse. :p
Y'know just because you think it's mediocre doesn't mean it is.
1. "Steroid Abuse" lol, better name than Gyga Mac, fits perfect.
2. So many people hate FE in general for the gameplay. It's that kind of game when you only can love it or hate it, I see it so many times.

It'll make newbies actually try the franchise and know what it's about. Like how it was in Melee and Brawl. It's not about uniqueness, it's about how well the character plays. I see more people using Falco, Lucas and Ganondorf than Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer.
I'm guilty of that. I'll probably use Greninja more than Little Mac and Rosalina.
Ike was user-friendly and popular to use in brawl. Chrom will need good gameplay to be used and promote the franchise.
Yes, gimmicks doesn't matter at all, I really enjoyed played as Melee Ganondorf, Falco, Wolf, Doc, Young Link, Luigi and hate it to play as Ice Climbers and Pokemón Trainer. I'll be honest, I don't mind if Chrom is only sword swings, as long if he doesn't sucks in gameplay like Roy.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, screw 'em. Ike and Marth distinguish themselves pretty well, no matter who complains that they are just "generic" blue haired* swordsmen. By the way, did anyone complain about Ike and Marth being "redundant" in pre-Brawl era?

*Because, you know, blue hair somehow isn't awesome.
There was a lot less stigma regarding to Ike.

Then again, unlike Chrom, people actually wanted Ike and he was treated differently from the typical Lord archetype.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There was a lot less stigma regarding to Ike.

Then again, unlike Chrom, people actually wanted Ike and he was treated differently from the typical Lord archetype.
And you're implying people don't want Chrom, despite his prominent fanbase?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Considering every "supporter" latches onto this statement.

Because FE:A is a great game that should be represented through a character. :p
I don't see it. I just think people latching onto that reason and not budging to me feels like the most shallow reasoning ever, because it implies people don't care about Chrom and are merely following a pattern or latching onto sales. There isn't much of a passion. I think you're the only person around that actually tries to justify the character, while everyone is simply proclaiming "unavoidable".

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I don't see it. I just think people latching onto that reason and not budging to me feels like the most shallow reasoning ever, because it implies people don't care about Chrom and are merely following a pattern or latching onto sales. There isn't much of a passion. I think you're the only person around that actually tries to justify the character, while everyone is simply proclaiming "unavoidable".
When you think about it, Fire Emblem is, or rather has been shown to be, similar to Pokemon as to how roster additions go about.

In Melee the second FE character literally debuted there to advertize the latest installment he would appear in.

Move on to Brawl. Look what happened, a character from Sacred Stones got passed over in favor of the guy from the latest game, Radiant Dawn (and previously Path of Radiance). Now where does this sound familiar? Oh yeah, Zoroark and Greninja. One clearly missed their chance in the limelight thanks to someone newer showing up in front.

Finally, we come to Awakening and SSB4. If the past has taught us anything, it's that the newest character is chosen when it comes to franchises with constantly changing protagonists like Fire Emblem and Pokemon. Given that Marth, basically FE's Pikachu in Smash, starred in the games following Ike's saga, there really isn't any competition from the past to factor in either. So with that in mind, and the fact that every rep so far has been the lord aka main character, it's only fair, if not logical, that most assume Chrom will show up eventually.

IronFish

Smash Ace
Well I for one like Chrom, but I find him bland and ill-suited to properly represent the amazing game that was Awakening. I just think it deserves more than a Luigified Marth/Like. Marth is FE's Pikachu, Ike is popular in US, Chrom... Is just Chrom... FE will always have a Tactician or Anna

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Well I for one like Chrom, but I find him bland and ill-suited to properly represent the amazing game that was Awakening. I just think it deserves more than a Luigified Marth/Like. Marth is FE's Pikachu, Ike is popular in US, Chrom... Is just Chrom... FE will always have a Tactician or Anna
Stealing my analogy I see. :evil:

Nah, I kid.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
In order to calm the thread a bit, as there seem to be clashing views going on (wouldn't want it to get out of hand, haha), I finished my Chrom moveset. I tried to use some of (what I thought were) the really cool ideas I've seen for him or thought up over time, and make a cohesive and strategic moveset from it, while still staying true to the character.

Neutral Special - Rightful King - Chrom lifts the Falchion high into the air. If the button is held, Chrom begins to become embued with Naga's Holy Fire. After three seconds, the Falchion becomes the Exalted Falchion. All attacks now have the chance to heal Chrom for some damage if he performs a three or more attack string. This effect lasts as long as Chrom's current stock does. Like Olimar's Pikmin, Chrom will need to re-perform the Awakening ritual to regain the Exalted Falchion.
Side Special - Luna - Chrom tosses a Spear forward in an arc. The arc can be controlled, and Chrom can move slowly while charging. This can break shields when fully charged.
Up Special - Sol - Chrom leaps into the air, and comes crashing diagonally downwards with a heavy sword swing. This is similar in execution to Dedede's Super Jump.
Down Special - Counter - A staple of the Fire Emblem characters, Chrom takes a parry stance, and if hit, slices into the attacker. This is different, though, in the sense that it is mainly an anti-air counter due to the direction Chrom's holding the Falchion. If it hits an aerial opponent, they're smacked to the ground. This makes an easy string into the Down Smash.

Side Smash - Chrom dashes forward up to one Bowser length and stabs the opponent with his Falchion.
Up Smash - Chrom charges up with divine dragon energy and stabs his Falchion skyward. Has a burst effect afterwards, where if the opponent is hit, a burst of divine energy can damage those in close proximity without direct contact.
Down Smash - Chrom gets down low. While charging, he enters a bowing position, as if praying to Naga. When released, the result is a quick energy blast from the Falchion and Shield of Seals, hitting both sides of Chrom's body. The energy hits along the ground and sort of makes a wave ripple effect away from Chrom.

Dash Attack - Chrom runs jumps, stabbing the opponent with the Falchion. This knocks the foe upwards, allowing for easy juggle-starting.
Neutral Combo - Chrom swings the Falchion left and right, followed by a spinning slash.

Side Tilt - Chrom swings the Falchion over his head very quickly downward. This move has increased priority and focuses on getting the hit before the opponent does.
Up Tilt - Chrom does a short upward lunge and swings the sword in an overhead arc. What appears as a simple move on the surface is actually a huge help for Chrom's juggling. This allows him to reach Aether more quickly under the effect of Rightful King, so this works well as a damage healer.
Down Tilt - Chrom's Falchion goes from orange glow to blue glow as he quickly kneals and stabs his Falchion into the ground. This sends the foe skyward with ample upward knockback for a down tilt.

Neutral Aerial - Chrom extends his Falchion arm and twirls the blade and his body in mid-air. Low knockback, resulting in easy air combos.
Forward Aerial - Chrom swings the Falchion with both hands over his head, doing a flip in the process.
Backward Aerial - Chrom makes an arc with the Falchion from the forward position downward, and then back, passing the front of his body. It is interesting as this Back Air manages to hit both sides, though the forward hitbox is much smaller and harder to hit with. This works well with dragging the foe closer to you in the air, using a suction effect. This allows for easier air-juggling.
Up Aerial - Chrom does a mid-air backflip and extends his sword upward while doing so, then back, giving a mid-air windshield-wiper type effect as far as appearance. The two hits assist with Aether.
Down Aerial - Chrom stabs his Falchion downward, and then scoops the foe into the air with it (so the motion is down, then arc to the side).

Pummel - Chrom holds the foe in one hand and begins to hit them with the hilt of the Falchion.
Forward Throw - Chrom holds the foe in place, and then stabs them with enough force to send them forward.
Backward Throw - Chrom grabs the foe, throws them over his shoulder. A simple throw.
Up Throw - Chrom throws the opponent up, skewering them on the Falchion to give ample vertical knockback.
Down Throw - Chrom holds the foe in place, leaps up, and bashes them with the hilt of the Falchion.

Ledge Attack - Chrom leaps from the ledge while swinging the Falchion in a circle.
Get-Up Attack - Chrom stabs his sword into the ground, which he then uses to prop himself up.

Final Smash - Shepherd Raid - Some of the other Shepherds appear and attack the stage. Sumia and Cordelia knock foes out of the air, Vaike, Frederick, Stahl and Sully ambush those on the ground, Gaius steals foes' items, Lissa heals Chrom, Lucina mimics Chrom's moves, and Robin hits foes at a distance with Thoron. Kellam's in the background.

Chrom is very good at getting the foe into the air, where he will juggle them to no end, healing himself in the process. This is based both on the Exalted Falchion's healing ability, as well as Chrom's prowess for jump-and-strike sword attacks in Awakening. However, he's not without his faults. Chrom wears very light armor, so he's easily knocked away, but at the same time, he falls decently quickly (similar to Fox in a way). In addition, Chrom lacks a bit of range, minus one projectile. The two moves with longer range, the Down Smash and Side Special, don't utilize the Falchion, so while they give Chrom more utility, they can't be used to get Aether working, and will break the chain if used. Chrom also needs to activate Aether once per stock, so he must space well enough to allow for the small charge time without being hit. Over all, he's a character that's generally pick-up-and-play, but can pull off some really technical stuff at higher levels of play. The strategy needed for his playstyle is analogous to the fact that Fire Emblem is a strategic game series.

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace

Final Smash - Shepherd Raid - Some of the other Shepherds appear and attack the stage. Sumia and Cordelia knock foes out of the air, Vaike, Frederick, Stahl and Sully ambush those on the ground, Gaius steals foes' items, Lissa heals Chrom, Lucina mimics Chrom's moves, and Robin hits foes at a distance with Thoron. Kellam's in the background.
I disapprove of reducing Robin to just a FS appearance, FE13 can have two reps.
Stealing my analogy I see. :evil:

Nah, I kid.
We posted at the same time XD

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
@ Opossum Opossum awesome moveset! For some reason I also viewed Chrom as a juggler. I guess because of his animations in FE:A

That Final Smash, though. It'll be hard to make models of all those characters. I think he'll get a more generic FS like the other newcomers.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
@ Opossum Opossum awesome moveset! For some reason I also viewed Chrom as a juggler. I guess because of his animations in FE:A

That Final Smash, though. It'll be hard to make models of all those characters. I think he'll get a more generic FS like the other newcomers.
Thanks!

And yeah, I get that, and thought about distilling it a bit. I just wanted to go all out. :p In all honesty, I'd only expect Robin and Lucina to make an appearance at most, haha. Maybe call it Dual Support +. :p

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
I really like that moveset, especially the moves that involve blasts of energy; I like flashy characters.
I personally think it'd be great if for a Final Smash if Lucina appeared out of the portal (like the first time in the forest), and Chrom and her slash at the opponent(s) like they do to the Risen in that same scene.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I also wanted to mention that a great deal of the moves actually come from the in-game cutscenes, haha. That, and the gameplay animations.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
In order to calm the thread a bit, as there seem to be clashing views going on (wouldn't want it to get out of hand, haha), I finished my Chrom moveset. I tried to use some of (what I thought were) the really cool ideas I've seen for him or thought up over time, and make a cohesive and strategic moveset from it, while still staying true to the character.

Neutral Special - Rightful King - Chrom lifts the Falchion high into the air. If the button is held, Chrom begins to become embued with Naga's Holy Fire. After three seconds, the Falchion becomes the Exalted Falchion. All attacks now have the chance to heal Chrom for some damage if he performs a three or more attack string. This effect lasts as long as Chrom's current stock does. Like Olimar's Pikmin, Chrom will need to re-perform the Awakening ritual to regain the Exalted
Falchion.

Side Special - Luna - Chrom tosses a Spear forward in an arc. The arc can be controlled, and Chrom can move slowly while charging. This can break shields when fully charged.
Up Special - Sol - Chrom leaps into the air, and comes crashing diagonally downwards with a heavy sword swing. This is similar in execution to Dedede's Super Jump.
Down Special - Counter - A staple of the Fire Emblem characters, Chrom takes a parry stance, and if hit, slices into the attacker. This is different, though, in the sense that it is mainly an anti-air counter due to the direction Chrom's holding the Falchion. If it hits an aerial opponent, they're smacked to the ground. This makes an easy string into the Down Smash.

Side Smash - Chrom dashes forward up to one Bowser length and stabs the opponent with his Falchion.
Up Smash - Chrom charges up with divine dragon energy and stabs his Falchion skyward. Has a burst effect afterwards, where if the opponent is hit, a burst of divine energy can damage those in close proximity without direct contact.
Down Smash - Chrom gets down low. While charging, he enters a bowing position, as if praying to Naga. When released, the result is a quick energy blast from the Falchion and Shield of Seals, hitting both sides of Chrom's body. The energy hits along the ground and sort of makes a wave ripple effect away from Chrom.

Dash Attack - Chrom runs jumps, stabbing the opponent with the Falchion. This knocks the foe upwards, allowing for easy juggle-starting.
Neutral Combo - Chrom swings the Falchion left and right, followed by a spinning slash.

Side Tilt - Chrom swings the Falchion over his head very quickly downward. This move has increased priority and focuses on getting the hit before the opponent does.
Up Tilt - Chrom does a short upward lunge and swings the sword in an overhead arc. What appears as a simple move on the surface is actually a huge help for Chrom's juggling. This allows him to reach Aether more quickly under the effect of Rightful King, so this works well as a damage healer.
Down Tilt - Chrom's Falchion goes from orange glow to blue glow as he quickly kneals and stabs his Falchion into the ground. This sends the foe skyward with ample upward knockback for a down tilt.

Neutral Aerial - Chrom extends his Falchion arm and twirls the blade and his body in mid-air. Low knockback, resulting in easy air combos.
Forward Aerial - Chrom swings the Falchion with both hands over his head, doing a flip in the process.
Backward Aerial - Chrom makes an arc with the Falchion from the forward position downward, and then back, passing the front of his body. It is interesting as this Back Air manages to hit both sides, though the forward hitbox is much smaller and harder to hit with. This works well with dragging the foe closer to you in the air, using a suction effect. This allows for easier air-juggling.
Up Aerial - Chrom does a mid-air backflip and extends his sword upward while doing so, then back, giving a mid-air windshield-wiper type effect as far as appearance. The two hits assist with Aether.
Down Aerial - Chrom stabs his Falchion downward, and then scoops the foe into the air with it (so the motion is down, then arc to the side).

Pummel - Chrom holds the foe in one hand and begins to hit them with the hilt of the Falchion.
Forward Throw - Chrom holds the foe in place, and then stabs them with enough force to send them forward.
Backward Throw - Chrom grabs the foe, throws them over his shoulder. A simple throw.
Up Throw - Chrom throws the opponent up, skewering them on the Falchion to give ample vertical knockback.
Down Throw - Chrom holds the foe in place, leaps up, and bashes them with the hilt of the Falchion.

Ledge Attack - Chrom leaps from the ledge while swinging the Falchion in a circle.
Get-Up Attack - Chrom stabs his sword into the ground, which he then uses to prop himself up.

Chrom is very good at getting the foe into the air, where he will juggle them to no end, healing himself in the process. This is based both on the Exalted Falchion's healing ability, as well as Chrom's prowess for jump-and-strike sword attacks in Awakening. However, he's not without his faults. Chrom wears very light armor, so he's easily knocked away, but at the same time, he falls decently quickly (similar to Fox in a way). In addition, Chrom lacks a bit of range, minus one projectile. The two moves with longer range, the Down Smash and Side Special, don't utilize the Falchion, so while they give Chrom more utility, they can't be used to get Aether working, and will break the chain if used. Chrom also needs to activate Aether once per stock, so he must space well enough to allow for the small charge time without being hit. Over all, he's a character that's generally pick-up-and-play, but can pull off some really technical stuff at higher levels of play. The strategy needed for his playstyle is analogous to the fact that Fire Emblem is a strategic game series.
Wow, I'm impressed! I was looking forward to when this was posted, and you blew all my expectations right out of the water.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Ike is dead to Sakurai. You people really forget how Samurai is also looking for people that will bring new fighting styles to the game. It is very likely that Pokemon and Fire Emblems pattern of character cuts will be a deciding factor, cut an old character for a new one. As new games come out we get new ideas and characters, FE and Pokemon have enough unique characters to replace the last. Sakura needs to keep things fresh and original, his cutting of characters, stages, modes and items. As said before, there is a great chance Awakening will get two reps than just having Ike return or Chrom join alone. Robin was the second face of Awakening and is the most unique FE rep yet. Chrom is more recognizable than Robin, I'll give you that, but Robin has originality. The ideal roster for me would include Marth, Chrom and Robin. Some people complain that there are too little female characters in smash, although that argument is irrelevant, Robin also has a female option in Awakening. Some people argue that Robin/Tactician is a customizable character and shouldn't be added, why do we have Villager then? Villager in his game is a pure customizable character, Robin is not as he/she has a default look. Why am I bringing this up in a Chrom discussion? Because a thread isn't entertaining enough without challenge or opposing opinions. It is likely that if Chrom is added alone Sakurai will forget about Robin, but if he adds Robin then he will likely put in Chrom. Robin should be accompanied by another FE character. Ike could happen but it is not as likely as Chrom.

Mascot+Tactician<Mascot+Lord<Mascot+Lord+Tactician

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Ike is dead to Sakurai. You people really forget how Samurai is also looking for people that will bring new fighting styles to the game. It is very likely that Pokemon and Fire Emblems pattern of character cuts will be a deciding factor, cut an old character for a new one. As new games come out we get new ideas and characters, FE and Pokemon have enough unique characters to replace the last. Sakura needs to keep things fresh and original, his cutting of characters, stages, modes and items. As said before, there is a great chance Awakening will get two reps than just having Ike return or Chrom join alone. Robin was the second face of Awakening and is the most unique FE rep yet. Chrom is more recognizable than Robin, I'll give you that, but Robin has originality. The ideal roster for me would include Marth, Chrom and Robin. Some people complain that there are too little female characters in smash, although that argument is irrelevant, Robin also has a female option in Awakening. Some people argue that Robin/Tactician is a customizable character and shouldn't be added, why do we have Villager then? Villager in his game is a pure customizable character, Robin is not as he/she has a default look. Why am I bringing this up in a Chrom discussion? Because a thread isn't entertaining enough without challenge or opposing opinions. It is likely that if Chrom is added alone Sakurai will forget about Robin, but if he adds Robin then he will likely put in Chrom. Robin should be accompanied by another FE character. Ike could happen but it is not as likely as Chrom.

I wouldn't put my hopes on 'originality'.
Falco got in Brawl over Mewtwo.

I do think Chrom is more likely than any other FE character though, so ehh.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I still say Marth+Chrom+Ike is the most likely scenario.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
I still say Marth+Chrom+Ike is the most likely scenario.
Ike is very likely to be cut. Sakurai wants unique characters this time, that's why he put Little Mac and Rosalina. I think Sakurai would notice how similar these characters are and think twice before adding them to the roster. Sakurai might ignore two similar characters from the same series by adding Chrom and Marth, but three is just overdoing it. Having FE in smash4 be like Starfox in brawl would be a dumb decision.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ike is very likely to be cut. Sakurai wants unique characters this time, that's why he put Little Mac and Rosalina. I think Sakurai would notice how similar these characters are and think twice before adding them to the roster. Sakurai might ignore two similar characters from the same series by adding Chrom and Marth, but three is just overdoing it. Having FE in smash4 be like Starfox in brawl would be a dumb decision.
Considering how vastly different Wolf played from Fox and Falco, I don't think the StarFox example applies.

Plus, why would wanting to add unique newcomers stop Sakurai from bringing back a fan favorite?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
All I'm hearing from all this is "NOOO IKE IS GETTING AWAY OF MY HUSBANDO CHROM ;~;" and I would really like it to stop.

And you people wonder why I don't like Chrom supporters...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
All I'm hearing from all this is "NOOO IKE IS GETTING AWAY OF MY HUSBANDO CHROM ;~;" and I would really like it to stop.

It's not all of us, I swear.

But I do wonder, Xenoblaze...if Chrom were to get the moveset proposed above, would you be okay with his inclusion?

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Considering how vastly different Wolf played from Fox and Falco, I don't think the StarFox example applies.

Plus, why would wanting to add unique newcomers stop Sakurai from bringing back a fan favorite?
I wouldn't say vast. Their movesets were all based off of Foxs. Although they may have some difference, it is not enough to not see the similarities. Sakurai already disproved your argument of fan favorites with Roy and Mewtwo.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I wouldn't say vast. Their movesets were all based off of Foxs. Although they may have some difference, it is not enough to not see the similarities. Sakurai already disproved your argument of fan favorites with Roy and Mewtwo.
No, seriously, I'm talking like the fan favorite. I remember seeing a poll that came out a little bit after Brawl's release (I think Swampasaur showed it), and Ike was the single highest-rated newcomer when it came to popularity. Roy was far from a fan-favorite, and Mewtwo's Smash incarnation received mixed opinions, despite the character being well-liked. Not to mention both were planned for Brawl anyway, so it's not like they were replaced, like you're suggesting.

Morbi

Scavenger

"Adding new characters is not a simple addition – it’s really multiplication. The amount of work, adding a character is multiplied and becomes bigger and bigger as you go. We can’t because of the amount of work it takes. However, I do believe I understand that each character has its own set of fans out there who really like that character.

"So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it's good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans."

No, you are incorrect. Sakurai isn't going to cut Ike based on some arbitrary pattern that you have discerned. I apologize, it just isn't going to happen according to Sakurai.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Sakurai in Brawl seek a heavy and strong (and slow...the only part Ike doesn't fit) character for Fire Emblem, then he chosen Ike.
Chrom don't fit that, bring Falchion the properties of Ragnell is very dumb.

And compare Fire Emblem with Pokémon is odd. Pokémon is much more popular and they are not any specific pkmn protagonist aside of the player's trainer. Sakurai choose the pkmns only for popularity. Pikachu? Jigglypuff? Mewtwo? Lucario? stand alone Charizard? Greninja? popularity.
Fire Emblem is kind of a niche series and has a specific protagonist in every game. Sakurai pick up Roy to advertize FE6 only, because in that time FE returns after some years of inactivity.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
"Adding new characters is not a simple addition – it’s really multiplication. The amount of work, adding a character is multiplied and becomes bigger and bigger as you go. We can’t because of the amount of work it takes. However, I do believe I understand that each character has its own set of fans out there who really like that character.

"So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it's good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans."

No, you are incorrect. Sakurai isn't going to cut Ike based on some arbitrary pattern that you have discerned. I apologize, it just isn't going to happen according to Sakurai.
They still focus on adding new characters first. We need newcomers and they only have time to put so many characters. With the new Ferox Arena stage we will most likely be seeing one or two Awakening reps. They're will still be cuts. The most likely to be cut are Snake, Wolf and Ike, Pokemon trainer is gone because of Charizard. Melee had about 4 cuts, I forget how many exactly. Pokemon and Fire Emblem are the main victims to this, so it's safe to say we'll be possibly saying goodbye to Ike. We most likely will be seeing about the same amount this too. Apparently Roy was supposed to be added in brawl but was cut due to time, according to what I've heard at least.

New Pokemon and Fire Emblem characters have priority over old ones. The End.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They still focus on adding new characters first. We need newcomers and they only have time to put so many characters. With the new Ferox Arena stage we will most likely be seeing one or two Awakening reps. They're will still be cuts. The most likely to be cut are Snake, Wolf and Ike, Pokemon trainer is gone because of Charizard. Melee had about 4 cuts, I forget how many exactly. Pokemon and Fire Emblem are the main victims to this, so it's safe to say we'll be possibly saying goodbye to Ike. We most likely will be seeing about the same amount this too. Apparently Roy was supposed to be added in brawl but was cut due to time, according to what I've heard at least.

Just because they have priority doesn't mean the veterans will automatically be cut. Epilogue.

Morbi

Scavenger

I doubt it considering we already have Marth. Clearly the Fire Emblem newcomer wasn't a focus in regards to the franchise. The veterans were... which is why we got Mario, Luigi, Bowser, and Peach before Rosalina (our second newcomer). I agree with your sentiment though, we will be seeing an Awakening representative (in addition to Marth and Ike, of course). Wolf isn't a likely cut by an stretch of the imagination, neither is Falco. Ike is safe, he offers a unique play-style. He isn't the same character that Roy is in the same way that Jigglypuff isn't the character that Pichu was.

If you are saying that Ike is near the end of the priority list, that is a reasonable assertion. But again, porting him over isn't going to be entirely difficult. If it comes to choosing one newcomer or 4 or 5 veterans, we already know what Sakurai will choose (based on precedence and logic).

Last edited:

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
I doubt it considering we already have Marth. Clearly the Fire Emblem newcomer wasn't a focus in regards to the franchise. The veterans were... which is why we got Mario, Luigi, Bowser, and Peach before Rosalina (our second newcomer). I agree with your sentiment though, we will be seeing an Awakening representative (in addition to Marth and Ike, of course). Wolf isn't a likely cut by an stretch of the imagination, neither is Falco. Ike is safe, he offers a unique play-style. He isn't the same character that Roy is in the same way that Jigglypuff isn't the character that Pichu was.

If you are saying that Ike is near the end of the priority list, that is a reasonable assertion. But again, porting him over isn't going to be entirely difficult. If it comes to choosing one newcomer or 4 or 5 veterans, we already know what Sakurai will choose (based on precedence and logic).
Replace Wolf with ROB. I forgot that stupid robot.

Just because they offer a unique playstlye doesn't mean they won't be cut. Mewtwo was very different and he was cut. It is still safe to say some properties of Ike will be carried over to Chrom, like his heavy and slow playstyle. If these traits do carry over then Chrom will most likely have a different moveset. I don't know why people think a slow, heavy Chrom will be an Ike clone with the same moves. #Robin4Smash

Morbi

Scavenger

Just because they offer a unique playstlye doesn't mean they won't be cut. Mewtwo was very different and he was cut. It is still safe to say some properties of Ike will be carried over to Chrom, like his heavy and slow playstyle. If these traits do carry over then Chrom will most likely have a different moveset. I don't know why people think a slow, heavy Chrom will be an Ike clone with the same moves. #Robin4Smash
I suppose that could happen. I am not up to par on my Fire Emblem, but I was under the impression that Ike was one of the more important Lords, unlike Roy.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Sakurai in Brawl seek a heavy and strong (and slow...the only part Ike doesn't fit) character for Fire Emblem, then he chosen Ike.
Chrom don't fit that, bring Falchion the properties of Ragnell is very dumb.
Problem here.
Chrom didn't exist in brawl dev time. Of course Sakurai wouldn't choose a character that wouldn't come until many years later.

Honestly, Ike's return is higher on my list of wants than Chrom's inclusion.
Only one spot higher but still

The thing is, Mewtwo had
1. Been planned for the game and
2. Dropped out of relevance at the time of brawl.

Ike won't drop out of relevance. He and Marth both have the distinct trait of being the two FE games mentioned most in awakening, with a descendant of each playable, the sword of each being used and Ike's Aether being a trademark ability. Since Awakening was pretty much fan-service: the game, then this is a pretty handy indicator that Ike is still massively popular as well as Marth, and should stay due to this and his original moveset.

Not to mention that Ike is the only FE character to have more than two of his games come out overseas.
I suppose that could happen. I am not up to par on my Fire Emblem, but I was under the impression that Ike was one of the more important Lords, unlike Roy.
The only importance Roy has is a result of his appearance in smash. Ike has two games, one of which was already out in america, and the other planned at the time of Brawl's development.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Thanks!

And yeah, I get that, and thought about distilling it a bit. I just wanted to go all out. :p In all honesty, I'd only expect Robin and Lucina to make an appearance at most, haha. Maybe call it Dual Support +. :p
Yeah, I see that being more likely.
I really like that moveset, especially the moves that involve blasts of energy; I like flashy characters.
I personally think it'd be great if for a Final Smash if Lucina appeared out of the portal (like the first time in the forest), and Chrom and her slash at the opponent(s) like they do to the Risen in that same scene.
This is also an awesome FS.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Problem here.
Chrom didn't exist in brawl dev time. Of course Sakurai wouldn't choose a character that wouldn't come until many years later.
Maybe I don't clarify my point, let me explain with other words

From Fire Emblem, Ike appears! The fact that he can wield a two-handed sword with a single hand is a testament to his magnificent strength.
  • Snake: This swordsman's gonna be tough to beat.
  • Colonel: Fighting Ike, eh, Snake? Ike is the leader of the Greil Mercenaries. He may look too refined to be a fighter... But he has one heck of a sword arm.
  • Snake: Yeah, he's swinging that two-handed sword around with only one hand. I don't even want to get near him.
  • Colonel: That's the holy blade of Ragnell. It's an extremely powerful sword. But don't forget, Snake, you're armed to the teeth yourself. To your opponents, you might just be their worst nightmare. The distance between you and your enemy is a crucial element in battle. Using that distance can give you an advantage against some enemies.
  • Snake: Yeah, I've got the same feeling...
Chrom is not like that, Sakurai wants 2 basic FE chars with the archetypes of being:

Light and faster
Strong and slow

Roy in some way is the second archetype but has a clone status and Sakurai clearly failure to balance him.

But there is no reason to not put three characters... and then they are some people who constantly replaces characters, before Marth get revealed a popular opinion said Lucina and Chrom replaces Marth and Ike. And Rabbattack wants to replace Ike with Chrom only to make space for Robin, but at the same time we all know put two FE chars from the same game is very unlikely to happen.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Chrom is not like that, Sakurai wants 2 basic FE chars with the archetypes of being:

Light and faster
Strong and slow
Thank you for clarifying, i am sorry for misinterpreting your post.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's Marth+Ike+Chrom or Marth+Ike or Marth+Chrom. That's just how it's going to be. Honestly there's zero reason not to have all three, but if these things happen they happen.

Chrom'll have a unique moveset, or he wouldn't be added. Ike wasn't like Marth, and IS isn't Gamefreak, and won't get pushy with Sakurai, he will have chosen Chrom specifically for a myriad of reasons.

But of course, the same stupid arguments are going to be rung over and over again until he's announced. (And after, who am I kidding...) Ugh.

@ Opossum Opossum That moveset is outstanding. I'd 100% love it, and would definitely spend some time to learn it. For some reason I really dig the concept of an anti-air counter.

Last edited:

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Problem here.

Honestly, Ike's return is higher on my list of wants than Chrom's inclusion.
Only one spot higher but still

The thing is, Mewtwo had
1. Been planned for the game and
2. Dropped out of relevance at the time of brawl.

Ike won't drop out of relevance. He and Marth both have the distinct trait of being the two FE games mentioned most in awakening, with a descendant of each playable, the sword of each being used and Ike's Aether being a trademark ability. Since Awakening was pretty much fan-service: the game, then this is a pretty handy indicator that Ike is still massively popular as well as Marth, and should stay due to this and his original moveset.

Not to mention that Ike is the only FE character to have more than two of his games come out overseas.

The only importance Roy has is a result of his appearance in smash. Ike has two games, one of which was already out in america, and the other planned at the time of Brawl's development.
You could say Mewtwo is still relevant now with his appearance in X and Y, but he is still not in. Yes Ike has a unique moveset, but Robin could be just as original and Chrom could take the slow, heavy trait. If this happened to Chrom then he will most likely have a new moveset, I don't see Sakurai perfectly copying and pasting Ike's moves to Chrom 100%. No matter what you say about his importance to the series, Ike is still at high risk to be cut. Marth, Link, Pikachu and Kirby get special treatment for being the mascot of their series. Fire Emblem can't keep the same characters and world in every game. Although Ike is on of the most popular sword lords, that doesn't mean we should keep him and block off all the other possible newcomers, especially with a series like Fire Emblem who has plenty of characters to represent the series just as much or more. The end. Epilogue. Monologue. Dialogue.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
But I do wonder, Xenoblaze...if Chrom were to get the moveset proposed above, would you be okay with his inclusion?
No, not really.

I'd still be salty that this guy got in over more cool options.

Though I do appreciate the attempts of actually justifying Chrom.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
You could say Mewtwo is still relevant now with his appearance in X and Y, but he is still not in. Yes Ike has a unique moveset, but Robin could be just as original and Chrom could take the slow, heavy trait. If this happened to Chrom then he will most likely have a new moveset, I don't see Sakurai perfectly copying and pasting Ike's moves to Chrom 100%. No matter what you say about his importance to the series, Ike is still at high risk to be cut. Marth, Link, Pikachu and Kirby get special treatment for being the mascot of their series. Fire Emblem can't keep the same characters and world in every game. Although Ike is on of the most popular sword lords, that doesn't mean we should keep him and block off all the other possible newcomers, especially with a series like Fire Emblem who has plenty of characters to represent the series just as much or more. The end. Epilogue. Monologue. Dialogue.
Who's saying that Mewtwo's still not in? Have you seen the final roster? Oh, right. You think he's not in because it helps your case.

Of course Fire Emblem has plenty of characters to represent the series, but the problem is that only three of those characters have been in smash bros, and two of them are the most popular lords out there. Sakurai himself even wanted a "heavy hard hitting character" and got ike. Who in their right mind would throw out an already established veteran just to go looking for another "heavy hard hitting character"? It's nonsensical, as well as the notion that Ike's inclusion in the game is blocking off other FE newcomers.
Cutting Ike, moveset and all, just so you can throw Chrom into the heavy lord niche, and shoehorn robin in is just extreme bias talking.

This is just ridiculous, you have reasoning or proof whatsoever for your case, besides "oh mewtwo was cut so obviously Ike is mewtwo because it happened once before."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom