• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Sweet, can't wait :). A cool thing would be if all of us collaborated on a moveset.
You mean making a moveset as a group? That would be interesting.
My ideas are:
Frederick acting like Zelda's Phantom. (could be side b)
Charging the Exalted Falchion: It would work like Wii Fit Trainer's Deep Breathing. (Neutral B)
He could have Counter and a generic Up B recovery move, but I'm sure you guys have other ideas.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Basic attacks: swings sword
Specials: swings sword all fancy like
Smash attacks: hits real hard with his sword
Aerials: jumps around attacking with his sword
Final Smash: has blue hair

I had too much fun making this. I'll see myself out. :awesome:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Best Final Smash ever.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975

Hey, that's Little Mac moveset.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
@ N3ON N3ON What a deep and innovative Chrom moveset! I think your moveset totally outdo all the others. Plus I don't think I'll be able to create a moveset on such level of uniqueness and complexity!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

How about including the Stimulating Death Fist attack?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, in my defense as to why my moveset isn't posted yet...it's AP week. I've been quite busy due to it. It'll likely be done on Saturday, provided I have time!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I swear if Chrom is added to the roster for thinly veiled reasons like Toon Link, I think I'm going to really punch someone in the face. Because it's extremely baffling why this character is getting in over much better characters. There has to be a good reason for this inclusion, there just has to be!

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I swear if Chrom is added to the roster for thinly veiled reasons like Toon Link, I think I'm going to really punch someone in the face. Because it's extremely baffling why this character is getting in over much better characters. There has to be a good reason for this inclusion, there just has to be!
He's the main or one of the main characters from the most recent and most successful FE game. What other reason do you need?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
He's the main or one of the main characters from the most recent and most successful FE game. What other reason do you need?
Well for starters, why would I want to play a Chrom?

That's the key thing, I'm not playing as Fire Emblem: Awakening Box here, I'm playing as Chrom. What is his benefit to contributing to the roster, and why the hell is he magically a far superior choice to others out thee?

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Well for starters, why would I want to play a Chrom?

That's the key thing, I'm not playing as Fire Emblem: Awakening Box here, I'm playing as Chrom. What is his benefit to contributing to the roster, and why the hell is he magically a far superior choice to others out thee?
Why would you want to play as him? That could depend on the moveset. That could depend on your preference in style. It's more subjective.
Why not add another FE character? Because of what I said earlier.
Adding another character would be like adding Masked Man or Porky instead of Lucas. Sure, they seem more unique, but Lucas is the main character and people want to play as him.

Chrom is capable of a unique moveset, if that's what you're worried about.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I've said a million times, I don't think he'd be added this time, if he wasn't going to be made intentionally super-unique.

I don't see the point in ******** and moaning about it again and again when we honestly won't know what he's going to play like until we see.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Why would you want to play as him? That could depend on the moveset. That could depend on your preference in style. It's more subjective.
Why not add another FE character? Because of what I said earlier.
Adding another character would be like adding Masked Man or Porky instead of Lucas. Sure, they seem more unique, but Lucas is the main character and people want to play as him.

Chrom is capable of a unique moveset, if that's what you're worried about.
Perhaps I could offer an alternative viewpoint on the matter. One of the more obvious reasons people don't want Chrom on the roster is because there is very little that's unique about him in comparison to the other Fire Emblem characters on the roster. That's not exactly appealing to a good number of people. However, I do think it is fully possible for Chrom to be unique if Sakurai intends to add him in. But at the same time, some people (myself included) believe that there is simply a better choice for the roster, someone who IS a main character of Awakening, and can clearly be a unique character. Because that kind of possibility exists, and people believe that possibility to be the superior choice, people are naturally going to be more uneasy about Chrom's inclusion on the roster.

At the same time, some people just really don't like a certain character.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Perhaps I could offer an alternative viewpoint on the matter. One of the more obvious reasons people don't want Chrom on the roster is because there is very little that's unique about him in comparison to the other Fire Emblem characters on the roster. That's not exactly appealing to a good number of people. However, I do think it is fully possible for Chrom to be unique if Sakurai intends to add him in. But at the same time, some people (myself included) believe that there is simply a better choice for the roster, someone who IS a main character of Awakening, and can clearly be a unique character. Because that kind of possibility exists, and people believe that possibility to be the superior choice, people are naturally going to be more uneasy about Chrom's inclusion on the roster.

At the same time, some people just really don't like a certain character.
I understand that point of view. Some people don't want the FE characters to look the same because the game has more options. My point, though, is that Chrom has his merits and and makes sense to include over other characters. He's one of the main characters, iconic, and popular.
On the other hand there's the Avatar/Robin who is also a main character and has his merits like I'm sure you all know.

The big difference between this case, and other cases like Mother or Starfox, is that there's actually another possible choice because Chrom and Robin are main characters. It doesn't take away Chrom's merits, though, and he's really popular (more outside of smashboards).

Morbi

Scavenger
I feel as though Chrom's prominence will be enough for his to usurp the more unique choice. That being said, I don't necessarily believe that Chrom is going to be redundant. I am certain that Sakurai can develop a unique move-set for him.

D

Deleted member

>Wonder Bread disconfirmed
>Wait for Habanero to go on a Chrom Hunt as result
>Is not dissapointed

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Baffling? It's only baffling if you believe that uniqueness would be the be-all end all of newcomer choices. If Chrom were to be in, it would be pretty obvious as to why he was chosen.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
From what we've seen every newcomer brings something unique to the table some way or another, be it play style, new franchise (to the Smash circle or in general), or some mix between those two. Chrom...well Chrom is where things get touchy. He is a new character, but from a franchise that already has representation since Melee. Uniqueness? While I'm sure Sakurai could figure something out, I imagine it wouldn't be easy calibrating a moveset for a third blue-haired sword wielding Fire Emblem lord, whether Ike comes back or not. So unless he uses extra weapons chances are people are going to notice similarities between him and Marth/Ike/Roy which explains why more then a few don't want him in the roster.

Thereby the alternative character has the upper hand, since his/her magic properties would be different to the sword and finally bring some much needed diversity to the Fire Emblem lineup. However there is one major factor in Chrom's favor, something he shares with a certain Ninja Pokemon: popularity. So ultimately, while Robin would easily be the better choice from a unique standpoint, Chrom wins by default as the main character.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Some moves I made based on Link:

Neutral b - Nidhogg: In Monsta Honta Chrom wields that bow, also he has the archer class.
Side b - Hand Axe: a heavy boomerang.
Down b - Javelines: lol

He can use the Fire Emblem shield too in Monsta Honta without his Great Lord design. But I am pretty lazy to think moves with that right now. Well this is my real moveset.

B moves

Neutral b - Exalted Falchion: a chargeable attack (Falchion's glow effect included), the trajectory is the same as Melee Marth's Shield Breaker, hitting with full power is an instah-KO like Roy and Ike, but the Exalted Falchion heals 20% of Chrom's damage, it's not unbalanced because is pretty unlikely to hit anyone with the fully charged move anyway.
Up b - Critical animation: pauses for a moment, jumps a considerable distance and strike with Falchion, it could be vertical or horizontal ala Kirby's Up B in Project M or spacies Up b.
Side b - Aether: Sol and Luna in two strikes (ala Link's forward smash in execution), the first one is a sword uppercut and heals half the damage deals, the second one is a...emm Ike's Quickdraw? i don't find the word to describe the animation, anyway the strike reduces knockback resistance and shields to half.
Down b - Counter: its tradition. His animation could be that one when he takes "No damage" from an enemy.

A moves

A: horizontal sword strike, right to left.
AA: second horizontal sword strike, left to right but more range.
AAA: jumps a little and strike with Falchion.
Dash Attack: Falchion uppercut.

All based in his Awakening's animations.

But he has more source material like lances, axes, bows, Luna skill, Aegis skill, Fire Emblem shield, the blessing of Naga, Pair Up, horses, etc. but I can't figure how to implement that things with the actual moveset I did. Ah, and I can imagine him punching and kicking like Ike.

Er, sorry if I make some mistake, write a lot in other language is a little difficult.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Baffling? It's only baffling if you believe that uniqueness would be the be-all end all of newcomer choices. If Chrom were to be in, it would be pretty obvious as to why he was chosen.
He would be obviously chosen to trick newbies into thinking Fire Emblem offers nothing whatsoever and an excuse to recycle character assets.

That's the best I got.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Oh, and for the record I do support Chrom. Just outlining why some may not look forward to his inclusion and the possibility of uncreativity in his moveset is all.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
He would be obviously chosen to trick newbies into thinking Fire Emblem offers nothing whatsoever and an excuse to recycle character assets.

That's the best I got.
It'll make newbies actually try the franchise and know what it's about. Like how it was in Melee and Brawl. It's not about uniqueness, it's about how well the character plays. I see more people using Falco, Lucas and Ganondorf than Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer.
I'm guilty of that. I'll probably use Greninja more than Little Mac and Rosalina.
Ike was user-friendly and popular to use in brawl. Chrom will need good gameplay to be used and promote the franchise.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I'd like for them to drop Ike (dont need 3 blue haired sword user lords ffs) include Chrom and Robin (able to use swords, magic, bow, pretty much anything from the game)

Fire Emblem in Smash Bros needs some variety!

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I know the timing's a bit bad, but i've forgotten to do this earlier.

Could you add me to the list of supporters?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
So in other words we're completely ignoring the factor of songs and trophies so we can include a mediocre character from a mediocre game.
Yes, yes we know you see FE: A as medicore, you've only stated that same resentment many, many, many times at this point.

I honestly don't quite understand your objective by continuing to engage in these debates or why these debates continue on in the first place. It's becoming a circle arugement without any end for all parties and factions involved in the debate and continues going no where with very little new information or new knowledge to take out of it all. The fire emblem debate in general is particularly tiring then probably any other character debate in the series, and I will never understand what gets so many people caught up in it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hey, that's Little Mac moveset.
Nuh uh, Mac's FS has him channel the power of steroid abuse. :p

@ N3ON N3ON What a deep and innovative Chrom moveset! I think your moveset totally outdo all the others. Plus I don't think I'll be able to create a moveset on such level of uniqueness and complexity!
It's a shame too because you just know Sakurai gave Chrom something lame and boring when he could've had the magnificence that was my moveset. Oh well. :(

That's the best I got.
Pretty sure that's already happened with the three FE characters we've got previously.

Why stop now? :troll:

>Wonder Bread disconfirmed
>Wait for Habanero to go on a Chrom Hunt as result
>Is not dissapointed
He's almost reaching the same level of people waiting to tell him "told ya so" once Chrom gets confirmed as SmashChu has with third-parties. :rolleyes:

So in other words we're completely ignoring the factor of songs and trophies so we can include a mediocre character from a mediocre game.
Y'know just because you think it's mediocre doesn't mean it is.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Pretty sure that's already happened with the three FE characters we've got previously.

Why stop now? :troll:
But Ike is legitimately very distinct aesthetically speaking and character archetype-wise from Marth.

Roy and Chrom are fundamentally similar to Marth, though.

Morbi

Scavenger
Nintendo isn't necessarily "bursting at the seams" with dynamic characters that offer a lot to the narrative. I feel as though Chrom fits right in with all of the other mediocre characters already on the roster (should probably put this in the unpopular opinions thread). The game might have been mediocre, but it doesn't alter the notion that it is the one of the only truly successful Fire Emblem games. Songs and trophies can represent "the good Fire Emblem characters and games."

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Nintendo isn't necessarily "bursting at the seams" with dynamic characters that offer a lot to the narrative. I feel as though Chrom fits right in with all of the other mediocre characters already on the roster (should probably put this in the unpopular opinions thread). The game might have been mediocre, but it doesn't alter the notion that it is the one of the only truly successful Fire Emblem games. Songs and trophies can represent "the good Fire Emblem characters and games."
How could you?!

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But Ike is legitimately very distinct aesthetically speaking and character archetype-wise from Marth.

Roy and Chrom are fundamentally similar to Marth, though.
Yes he is, but he also recycles a few assets from Marth, and doesn't help uneducated public perspective of FE grow much past the "this series only has caped sword-wielding anime boys" ideology. :p:laugh:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Yes he is, but he also recycles a few assets from Marth, and doesn't help uneducated public perspective of FE grow much past the "this series only has caped sword-wielding anime boys" ideology. :p:laugh:
Well, screw 'em. Ike and Marth distinguish themselves pretty well, no matter who complains that they are just "generic" blue haired* swordsmen. By the way, did anyone complain about Ike and Marth being "redundant" in pre-Brawl era?

*Because, you know, blue hair somehow isn't awesome.

Morbi

Scavenger
Well, screw 'em. Ike and Marth distinguish themselves pretty well, no matter who complains that they are just "generic" blue haired* swordsmen. By the way, did anyone complain about Ike and Marth being "redundant" in pre-Brawl era?

I wasn't around, but apparently Lyn was the dominant fan-base. So I am sure that some were slightly aggravated that yet another blue-haired lord with a cape was included... although, at the time, they only had Marth and Roy. So it might not have been as redundant back then. I am just speculating.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589

I recall some people being upset about another sword user even way back then. I don't think it was quite as widespread as it is now, though.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Meh....I'd rather have more variety. There's a certain other rep I have in mind......

*COUGHROBINCOUGH*

I'm not against Chrom, but I'm not really a supporter either. He's a neutral point for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom