• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
No, not really.

I'd still be salty that this guy got in over more cool options.

Though I do appreciate the attempts of actually justifying Chrom.
Fair enough, I suppose. :p

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Apart from Robin, and say, Hector or Ephraim, I'm not quite sure what other options there are for FE characters, and personally, I found Chrom much more engaging of a lord than anyone save for Ike.

Then again, I just didnt enjoy FE7 much, and Roy is completely worthless AND more bland than any lord I've ever seen. And gullible at points. Frankly he's even worse than Eliwood in every way.

I don't get the complaints against Chrom compared to most others (Ike excepted, again. Best lord.) when he had emotions and I could get involved in his story/character.

Perhaps its a side-effect of being better able to actually tell an immersive story with better tech, but...I dunno.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Apart from Robin, and say, Hector or Ephraim, I'm not quite sure what other options there are for FE characters, and personally, I found Chrom much more engaging of a lord than anyone save for Ike.

Then again, I just didnt enjoy FE7 much, and Roy is completely worthless AND more bland than any lord I've ever seen. And gullible at points. Frankly he's even worse than Eliwood in every way.

I don't get the complaints against Chrom compared to most others (Ike excepted, again. Best lord.) when he had emotions and I could get involved in his story/character.

Perhaps its a side-effect of being better able to actually tell an immersive story with better tech, but...I dunno.
Because Super Smash Bros. apparently is heavily influenced by character development and backstory now.

In other words, that shouldn't matter. Nobody plays Super Smash Bros. to play as Mario Saving The Princess Plot.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
One of the common complaints I hear about Chrom is that he's a bland character from not only a moveset direction, but a character direction.

It certainly in the least has to do with people's PERCEPTION of the character, including in Smash.

Just trying to understand how people logically reached that, when the only FE Lord with more given character than Chrom is Ike. Its like they compared him to Ike and didnt even play the other games.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Because Super Smash Bros. apparently is heavily influenced by character development and backstory now.

In other words, that shouldn't matter. Nobody plays Super Smash Bros. to play as Mario Saving The Princess Plot.
Don't forget the most three dimensional character in the series!:gw:

Jackson

Smash Lord
Hey @ Opossum Opossum , as a huge Awakening fan (one of my favorite games) and Chrom supporter, I was hoping to submit my own moveset. As @ Banjodorf Banjodorf said, yours is very good, so kudos for that.
My moveset is inspired by Chrom's swordplay in Awakening to make him authentic to the game. He will be a character with great combo potential, but a bit lacking on the defensive side.
NEUTRAL SPECIAL: Exalted Falchion- Chrom holds the Falchion in front of him and closes his eyes as the sword glows. He loses 1% per second, similar to Ivysaur's Synthesis in Project M. This special is reminiscent of using Exalted Falchion as an item in Awakening. This special can be useful to heal, but is also punished easily so it's optimally used when the opponent is far away.
SIDE SPECIAL: Cartwheel Blade- This special is directly taken from the cutscene where Chrom fights "Marth" in Arena Ferox. Jumping and spinning in the air, he attacks left or right(whatever direction you input). Looks similar to Meta Knight's Neutral aerial, but goes longer to the left or right. Useful as horizontal recovery or as a combo finisher, or even a movement option.
UP SPECIAL: Falchion Dive- Chrom uses this to slay a Risen during the cutscene when they first appear. He leaps high into the air and then comes down, holding Falchion under him. It has powerful knockback but primarily is used for vertical recovery. Chrom can grab the ledge on the way up OR down.
DOWN SPECIAL: Counter- Every FE lord in Smash has had this, and Chrom is no exception. He holds his sword intending to parry and if he is hit, Chrom will strike back.
SIDE SMASH: Chrom moves forward a bit and swings Falchion in front of him. A powerful kill option, but punishable if whiffed.
UP SMASH: Similar to Marth's up smash, but has a higher hitbox. It's a bit slower, but it's a useful anti-air or vertical kill move.
DOWN SMASH: Chrom sweeps Falchion around his legs. It's not all that powerful but it's pretty quick. Used to punish rolls.
DASH ATTACK: Chrom uses this to kill an assassin in the scene where Lucina's identity is discovered. He dashes forward and swings the sword in a diagonally upwards angle. It's a quick combo starter that pops foes into the air, and it's pretty safe on block. It can be linked after many of Chrom's attacks, so it's used not only as an approaching move or combo starter, but also to continue combos on the ground.
JAB: Chrom swings Falchion left and right and then thrusts in the middle. A very useful 3-hit combo jab. Knockback is decent enough to allow for some comboing.
FORWARD TILT: A slow slice that swings above Chrom to the floor. Think Marth's Shield Breaker in Melee. It's a tool to stop reckless approaches and the knockback is strong, but it's very punishable if used in a bad situation.
UP TILT: Chrom reaches Falchion above him in the direction he's facing, rather similar to Link's Up air (except on the ground). It's a pretty quick tilt that can start juggles.
DOWN TILT: Chrom sweeps Falchion on the ground. If the foe is hit in the middle of the blade, they will be launched into the air, and if they are hit on the edge of the blade, they will be launched horizontally.
NEUTRAL AERIAL: Chrom spins in the air and swings Falchion around his waist. It's useful to shake off opponents, and to continue combos. It's his main combo aerial. It also has great priority allowing it to clank with a lot of attacks.
FORWARD AERIAL: Chrom swings Falchion in front of him and below, in the same manner that he holds it on Awakening's cover. This aerial has a lot of ending lag, but it's a good combo finisher and it has a lot of range. It sends opponents down and away.
UP AERIAL: Chrom quickly swings Falchion above his head. The hitbox is only decent, but if spaced correctly, its knockback makes it an great juggling/combo tool.
BACK AERIAL: Chrom whips the Falchion around his body to hit opponents behind him. It's rather quick and is a reliable kill option offstage.
DOWN AERIAL: A potent spike. Chrom stabs below him similar to the end of his Up Special. The startup is average and it only hits in the direction that he's facing, but if used right this move can earn Chrom early gimps.
GRAB: A very good option. Chrom quickly lunges forward with his non-sword hand, and seizes the foe. It's a quick grab with a lot of range, similar to Marth's in Melee.
PUMMEL: Chrom knees his opponent in the chest. Deals about 2% per hit, so it's average.
UP THROW: Chrom crouches down and then launches up, tossing his opponent upwards. It can have many potential follow-ups and is a great option to start juggles.
FORWARD THROW: Chrom powerfully strikes his opponent with the hilt of Falchion, sending them stumbling away from him. It deals high damage and above average knockback. At low percents, it combos into another Forward Throw or Dash attack.
BACK THROW: Chrom sticks out his leg and pushes the foe over it, causing the foe to trip and fly behind him. Although the opponent is sent too far away at mid to high percentages to follow up, it can create a tech chase situation at lower percents.
DOWN THROW: Likely Chrom's best throw. He forcibly slams the opponent into the ground, dealing a lot of damage and popping them above his head. The knockback is pretty consistent, so it remains a combo starter at low to higher percents. Down Throw to Up tilt is a staple combo for Chrom. This is the least situational of Chrom's throws and is the go-to throwing option.
LEDGE ATTACK: Chrom sweeps the area around the ledge with his blade, similar to his Down tilt. Not bad as far as ledge attacks go.
100+ % LEDGE ATTACK: Same as his normal ledge attack, but slower and more powerful.
GET-UP ATTACK: Chrom spins Falchion around his sides. It's a rather good option when needed.
SPOT DODGE: Chrom sidesteps and then returns to his stance. It's pretty slow relative to most spot dodges, so when on the defensive you're better off shield grabbing or jabbing.
FORWARD ROLL/BACK ROLL: Like Marth and Ike in Brawl, Chrom's rolls go far, so they're a useful option when you need to retreat quickly.
AIR DODGE: Similar to his spot dodge, Chrom's air dodge is a poor option. It wouldn't be used often.
WALK: Average speed. Nothing out of the ordinary here.
DASH: Goes far and it's quick, allowing Chrom to approach fast and have a good dash dance game.
CROUCH: Chrom gets pretty low to the ground, allowing him to avoid some attacks. He cannot crawl, though.
FINAL SMASH: Twin Falchions- When used, Chrom glows and slashes across the side of the stage that he is facing. Lucina warps in and does the same on the other side. Any opponents hit by one of them are KO'd. It's very similar to Marth's Final Smash except it covers both sides of the stage.

Chrom is in the middle weight class and is in the higher end of average in terms of kill power. He's heavier than Marth, but lighter than Ike. His grab game is great, allowing for early chaingrabs, some tech chasing off his Back Throw, and combos. Success using Chrom often requires the player to make good reads in order get a lot of grabs. His good dash dance lends itself to this. Chrom's Falchion gives his attacks high priority, and many of them string together well, most notably his Down Throw (to start off strings), his Dash Attack, his Neutral Aerial (Chrom's staple combo continuer) and his Up Aerial. These moves give Chrom a great combo/juggle game, and with knowledge of his moveset, allow him to rack up damage and finish off combos with his Forward Aerial. Chrom is a hard character to pick up, but when played correctly, using his moves to their fullest, he's a great fighter.

I hope you guys enjoyed my moveset, and I'd really like to hear your input. I'm really excited at the prospect of Chrom being in the game.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
One of the common complaints I hear about Chrom is that he's a bland character from not only a moveset direction, but a character direction.

It certainly in the least has to do with people's PERCEPTION of the character, including in Smash.

Just trying to understand how people logically reached that, when the only FE Lord with more given character than Chrom is Ike. Its like they compared him to Ike and didnt even play the other games.
Chrom is pretty boring from a character standpoint considering he feels very static and many of his characteristics are pretty standard. I think he's the only Lord that actually gets worse as the story progresses, instead of the opposite like it normally happens. Probably due to him being phoned out in favor of the children and Robin.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Chrom is pretty boring from a character standpoint considering he feels very static and many of his characteristics are pretty standard. I think he's the only Lord that actually gets worse as the story progresses, instead of the opposite like it normally happens. Probably due to him being phoned out in favor of the children and Robin.
It might be true that it becomes more Robin's story after the Walhart conflict ends, but I think on the whole his character development was better than the Lords for any of the other games I've played. (Again, except Ike, who's character grows and is the focus of PoR and honestly most of RD. Except for that whole ****ing focus on the stupid blood pact. Ugh.)

Chrom at least had much more presence than other main characters, especially a certain dawn-lady that got overshadowed by Ike hardcore, and I dunno man, but I honestly found the GBA lords super uninteresting, because there's really not much to go on for them, and supports were incredibly lacking and odd back then. Except for Ephraim, I'd say, who was just a boss.

Then again, the FE lords in general are supposed to be incredibly justice-y, likeable characters, with not too many dimensions. I think one of the things that helped Ike was the whole questionable "mercenary" tag, but that too sort of got overshadowed by his general good nature, he just had other stuff going on.

Really I can see both sides to that, but I think some people who dislike Chrom (not directed at you, HabeneroBlaze) tend to put the GBA lords on a pedestal that might be nostalgia-fueled.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I do like Chrom's moments of being an exasperated straight man, an characteristic that is highlighted in side chapters such as the one where you recruit Gerome.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well from my prospective, it feels like Chrom's presence was sort of forced, almost like the game designers only included him in order to fill in the tradition. Which again is going back to him decaying over the course of the story instead of staying consistent like the Lord character typical does. Even from a gameplay standpoint he feels like a character that must be put on unit-sitting duties during the second half of the game due to limited and lackluster promotion options, and his options to marry people are equally limited with only 4 options (6 if counting Robin♀ and the unnamed maiden) available.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Why are you restricting yourself to just Lords/Main characters?

Last edited:

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Well, there may not be precedent for it, but it could still happen. Anna, in particular, is a prime candidate if we're going for a non-Lord.
You know, honestly, that'd be like getting Nurse Joy for Pokemon.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Recurrence means a lot more in a series like Fire Emblem than a series like Pokemon. Intelligent Systems obviously likes her if they keep putting her in all of their Fire Emblem games.
How? There are many other games with reoccurring characters like that, despite changing timelines and etc.

Her role is actually very similar to someone like Nurse Joy, as they both maintain a frequently visited shop or area. Anna has only been slightly more important as a character you can optionally recruit in one game, yet still may fall behind as Nurse Joy has more important anime roles.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Isn't Nurse Joy a Pokemon anime exclusive character? Or at least aren't the Nurses of the ingame Pokemon centre's, just nameless nurses.... :/

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Isn't Nurse Joy a Pokemon anime exclusive character? Or at least aren't the Nurses of the ingame Pokemon centre's, just nameless nurses.... :/
According to Bulbapedia, you are correct.

In regards to Chrom, I feel as though the only more ideal choice is Robin. Other than that, Chrom is the blatantly overt choice, no one else really compares.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
I think he's the only Lord that actually gets worse as the story progresses, instead of the opposite like it normally happens. Probably due to him being phoned out in favor of the children and Robin.
wut

Chrom can beat the entire game in Lunatic only paired with his waifu/best friend Robin. Aside of Morgan, the children in general can't do that. And if you grinding doesn't matter because anyone well trained can broke the game.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
wut

Chrom can beat the entire game in Lunatic only paired with his waifu/best friend Robin. Aside of Morgan, the children in general can't do that. And if you grinding doesn't matter because anyone well trained can broke the game.
What the hell version of Fire Emblem: Awakening are you using? Because in every playthrough of the game I have to bloody babysit Chrom to only get mediocre results regardless of the difficulty. It's like Eliwood and his infamous RNG spite.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
wut

...Have you actually successfully accomplished this?

Jackson

Smash Lord
Why the Chrom hate? He's a pretty solid character. And it probably is possible to beat the game with him and Robin on Lunatic with insane grinding, but that's just about possible with anyone.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
...Have you actually successfully accomplished this?
Yes, that was my last play, I only have problems with magic users...but the game itself brings you amm...6 talismans? and other boost stats items, not to say Sumia brings a generous Res bonus. Really, when Chrom dies trying to clear the map is because Aether doesn't activate in critic moments.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Why the Chrom hate? He's a pretty solid character. And it probably is possible to beat the game with him and Robin on Lunatic with insane grinding, but that's just about possible with anyone.
He said no grinding, though.

Yes, that was my last play, I only have problems with magic users...but the game itself brings you amm...6 talismans? and other boost stats items, not to say Sumia brings a generous Res bonus. Really, when Chrom dies trying to clear the map is because Aether doesn't activate in critic moments.
I am very curious to know exactly how you managed to get through the entire Lunatic mode with only Chrom and Robin without grinding.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
He said no grinding, though.

I am very curious to know exactly how you managed to get through the entire Lunatic mode with only Chrom and Robin without grinding.
When you only focus in those two...well, the experience they gained is over 9000. In Henry's chapter my Chrom was Great Lord Lvl 15. You only have to train him with Frederick in the start. Robin train himself, lol, only pair him to activate that overpower skill named Veteran. And you doesn't lack of money too, you can sale every weapon you don't use.

Chrom and Robin can beat some random risens, depending of the map (like Chapter 2 map), that's a valuable experience too.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
When you only focus in those two...well, the experience they gained is over 9000. In Henry's chapter my Chrom was Great Lord Lvl 15. You only have to train him with Frederick in the start. Robin train himself, lol, only pair him to activate that overpower skill named Veteran. And you doesn't lack of money too, you can sale every weapon you don't use.

Chrom and Robin can beat some random risens, depending of the map (like Chapter 2 map), that's a valuable experience too.
Oh, so you did have to use Frederick to some degree.

That explains it.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Why are you restricting yourself to just Lords/Main characters?
I dunno. Call me cynical or a realist based on whatever camp you're in. Anna just seems too under the radar. Granted, it could happen, but I never get my hopes up for those sorts of things.

I do love Anna though and would be totally OK with that.

Redheads are the best. Unless they're related to Eliwood.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
I am curious as to how many less detractors Chrom would have if his hair wasn't blue.
If Chrom looks like this

or this

doesn't matter, is anotter sword lord :awesome: blue hair rulez.

(I am pretty boring, only what to edit some images, lulz)

I dunno. Call me cynical or a realist based on whatever camp you're in. Anna just seems too under the radar. Granted, it could happen, but I never get my hopes up for those sorts of things.

I do love Anna though and would be totally OK with that.

Redheads are the best. Unless they're related to Eliwood.
Anna will be okay (only a little) but...I hate the Trickster design, in battle Anna appears to have Samus shoulders, and the yellow and red combination annoys me for some odd reason.

Last edited:

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Who's saying that Mewtwo's still not in? Have you seen the final roster? Oh, right. You think he's not in because it helps your case.

Of course Fire Emblem has plenty of characters to represent the series, but the problem is that only three of those characters have been in smash bros, and two of them are the most popular lords out there. Sakurai himself even wanted a "heavy hard hitting character" and got ike. Who in their right mind would throw out an already established veteran just to go looking for another "heavy hard hitting character"? It's nonsensical, as well as the notion that Ike's inclusion in the game is blocking off other FE newcomers.
Cutting Ike, moveset and all, just so you can throw Chrom into the heavy lord niche, and shoehorn robin in is just extreme bias talking.

This is just ridiculous, you have reasoning or proof whatsoever for your case, besides "oh mewtwo was cut so obviously Ike is mewtwo because it happened once before."
Woah, calm down man. Mewtwo is not in because we already have four pokemon characters. Jigglypuff being one of the original eight means she's staying. So far Mario has five and giving a series six characters is overdoing it. Mewtwo is not Ike, I was comparing them. It may be nonsensical in your eyes but to many others it is just another change to keep the series going. I know change is scary but you have to understand that things won't get any better without it. In order to make progress in anything, people, ideas, animals and games have to change. I've been there before, I know how frustrating and sad change can be but just remember this...

...everything will get better soon. Maybe not right away, but soon. You have people to support you on this difficult process, so talk to someone about it. It can be a therapist, a sibling, a parent or a friend. Just know that it isn't the end of the world. Everyone goes through this at some point, some go through it more than once and you can make it too. You can get past this, don't let it hold you down or make you struggle. I believe you can survive this, as long as you believe you can make it through.

It's obvious that Robin is more unique than Ike.

Ike is slow and strong, Marth is quick and light. Both carry swords to attack. Another blue haired sword lord. Ike is the most unique FE character so far, but Robin could beat that. His last game was 2008. There are newer characters that could fit his role just as well or even better.

Robin Carries a sword and a tome for magic attacks; projectiles. Robin could be designed to be a bit slower or run around the same speed as Marth. Tactician is more original than other blue hair sword lord. Unique due to more representation of FE, bringing in tactics and magic, although i can't see Sakurai implementing an idea such as "tactics" into the game. Magic tomes have never been used by a FE rep in smash before. Sakurai said he wanted more unique fighting styles. Although having more female characters is an irrelevant argument, there is also an option for female. One of two main characters in the latest game, the most unique character that was actually important in the game. Villager disproves the customizable character argument due to him being a pure customizable character, Robin is not due to him having a canon, default appearance.

I don't know why you disprove of the robin being in because he is unique. Uniqueness is a very good argument, especially when Sakurai is trying to include characters like this. Mewtwo is not Ike, it's just that these are the main series targeted by character cuts so far. The problem is that Ike supporters don't want to let their character go and most are just butt hurt over Awakening, Chrom supporters don't see how he doesn't have much to offer when compared to Ike and Robin, and Robin supporters know Sakurai is going for unique characters so they see how much more Robin can offer than Ike and Chrom.

Chrom is just unoriginal compared to Robin and Ike and i hope he doesn't get in unless Robin is added. The relevancy argument makes sense, it just depends on the series. retro characters aren't hurt by this and are added for being classics. In series like fire Emblem and Pokemon that have hundreds of unique characters it only makes sense to keep up with newer games but also choosing ones that could fight differently. if Chrom inherits ikes slowness and power they won't rip off Ikes moveset, this would be a dumb decision for Sakura to make as it would be even worse then just a normal character cut. Chrom will get a new moveset, not 100% original, but different similar to Fox to Wolf but with a bit more difference. having characters like Anna, Lucina, and tiki wouldn't work as well as these three, they aren't as significant to the series as the main three. Roys dead, Annas been a side character, tiki cant fight as a dragon and Lucina is nothing compared to the rest. Rosalina gets the pass due to appearance in recent games and being from the Mario series gives her VIP privileges.

In conclusion...i'm just bored and want to write giant text blocks.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Woah, calm down man. Mewtwo is not in because we already have four pokemon characters. Jigglypuff being one of the original eight means she's staying. So far Mario has five and giving a series six characters is overdoing it. Mewtwo is not Ike, I was comparing them. It may be nonsensical in your eyes but to many others it is just another change to keep the series going. I know change is scary but you have to understand that things won't get any better without it. In order to make progress in anything, people, ideas, animals and games have to change. I've been there before, I know how frustrating and sad change can be but just remember this...

This isn't the place to discuss Pokemon, but it's asinine to say that giving a series six characters is overdoing it when Pokemon got exactly that many in Brawl. While change can be good, needless replacements are not good. It's neither fair to the Ike fans nor the Chrom fans.

...everything will get better soon. Maybe not right away, but soon. You have people to support you on this difficult process, so talk to someone about it. It can be a therapist, a sibling, a parent or a friend. Just know that it isn't the end of the world. Everyone goes through this at some point, some go through it more than once and you can make it too. You can get past this, don't let it hold you down or make you struggle. I believe you can survive this, as long as you believe you can make it through.
This just seems condescending and ride, honestly. Not to mention off-topic. Stop.

It's obvious that Robin is more unique than Ike.

Ike is slow and strong, Marth is quick and light. Both carry swords to attack. Another blue haired sword lord. Ike is the most unique FE character so far, but Robin could beat that. His last game was 2008. There are newer characters that could fit his role just as well or even better.
It's this philosophy that I hate. Just because something's not less than a year old doesn't mean it should be removed.

Robin Carries a sword and a tome for magic attacks; projectiles. Robin could be designed to be a bit slower or run around the same speed as Marth. Tactician is more original than other blue hair sword lord. Unique due to more representation of FE, bringing in tactics and magic, although i can't see Sakurai implementing an idea such as "tactics" into the game. Magic tomes have never been used by a FE rep in smash before. Sakurai said he wanted more unique fighting styles. Although having more female characters is an irrelevant argument, there is also an option for female. One of two main characters in the latest game, the most unique character that was actually important in the game. Villager disproves the customizable character argument due to him being a pure customizable character, Robin is not due to him having a canon, default appearance.

I don't know why you disprove of the robin being in because he is unique. Uniqueness is a very good argument, especially when Sakurai is trying to include characters like this. Mewtwo is not Ike, it's just that these are the main series targeted by character cuts so far. The problem is that Ike supporters don't want to let their character go and most are just butt hurt over Awakening, Chrom supporters don't see how he doesn't have much to offer when compared to Ike and Robin, and Robin supporters know Sakurai is going for unique characters so they see how much more Robin can offer than Ike and Chrom.
The raging generalizations really damage your argument, you know.

Chrom is just unoriginal compared to Robin and Ike and i hope he doesn't get in unless Robin is added. The relevancy argument makes sense, it just depends on the series. retro characters aren't hurt by this and are added for being classics. In series like fire Emblem and Pokemon that have hundreds of unique characters it only makes sense to keep up with newer games but also choosing ones that could fight differently. if Chrom inherits ikes slowness and power they won't rip off Ikes moveset, this would be a dumb decision for Sakura to make as it would be even worse then just a normal character cut. Chrom will get a new moveset, not 100% original, but different similar to Fox to Wolf but with a bit more difference. having characters like Anna, Lucina, and tiki wouldn't work as well as these three, they aren't as significant to the series as the main three. Roys dead, Annas been a side character, tiki cant fight as a dragon and Lucina is nothing compared to the rest. Rosalina gets the pass due to appearance in recent games and being from the Mario series gives her VIP privileges.
In conclusion...i'm just bored and want to write giant text blocks.
It really seems like you're cherry-picking points just to make yourself seem right. Chrom can be unique, as can Robin, and as is Ike. Like I said, you make far too many "exceptions" just because they undermine your argument.

Now I'm asking you to stop this here. I don't want this to escalate.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654

This isn't the place to discuss Pokemon, but it's asinine to say that giving a series six characters is overdoing it when Pokemon got exactly that many in Brawl. While change can be good, needless replacements are not good. It's neither fair to the Ike fans nor the Chrom fans.

This just seems condescending and ride, honestly. Not to mention off-topic. Stop.

It's this philosophy that I hate. Just because something's not less than a year old doesn't mean it should be removed.

The raging generalizations really damage your argument, you know.

It really seems like you're cherry-picking points just to make yourself seem right. Chrom can be unique, as can Robin, and as is Ike. Like I said, you make far too many "exceptions" just because they undermine your argument.

Okay then, but you saying I'm wrong doesn't make it official. I agree that I was a bit one sided on this, but I couldn't think of anything else. I will stop this argument now. My apologies opossum.

Looks like he's already been confirmed, Lucina too! This is an official screenshot.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Okay then, but you saying I'm wrong doesn't make it official. I agree that I was a bit one sided on this, but I couldn't think of anything else. I will stop this argument now. My apologies opossum.

Looks like he's already been confirmed, Lucina too! This is an official screenshot.
That's from Monster Hunter actually.

And I never said my word was the be-all end-all. :p

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Personally I want Chrom more than Ike, but Robin more than both. If Robin gets in then I don't see Sakurai forgeting about Ike or Chrom. Most likely we'll be getting three reps this time. It is unlikely that we would get Marth, Ike and Chrom. If we get three reps then Robin will come for sure. If Sakurai was given that option then he would probably see it to similar and look for something better, learning from his mistakes on brawl. I don't think Sakurai would pass up the latest FE game and ditching the characters, especially with Arena Ferox. We are getting an Awakening character for sure.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Well i guess that ends that.

Honestly, i didn't even feel like replying after reading that second paragraph. There's rude, and there's that.

I've always thought Anna should appear in some way in smash, even if she can't be playable, due to her prevalence in FE.

Maybe some kind of assist trophy or stage cameo?

Jackson

Smash Lord
I want to say two things:
1. I've said this before and I really do think it's relevant: Arena Ferox getting confirmed a while back shows that Sakurai has acknowledged Awakening a LONG time ago. It would seem totally crazy to me if there was no Awakening rep.
2. Seriously... Why do SO MANY PEOPLE automatically think Chrom will be bland? I'm very tired of that.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
I want to say two things:
1. I've said this before and I really do think it's relevant: Arena Ferox getting confirmed a while back shows that Sakurai has acknowledged Awakening a LONG time ago. It would seem totally crazy to me if there was no Awakening rep.
2. Seriously... Why do SO MANY PEOPLE automatically think Chrom will be bland? I'm very tired of that.
It's not that he's bland. Chrom CAN be an original character, it's just that with Ikes heaviness and Robins magic, many people see him a too similiar to Marth and Ike. Any character can be unique, it's just that others do a better job at it.

I'm not going to write another block of text for a while...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom