• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
People are really starting to think Chrom won't be in because Ike showed up?

Are you kidding me? Come on now.

That said, I do expect someone like Palutena or Shulk over Chrom revealed at E3. Unless Sakurai doesn't give a **** and revealed Ike so he wouldn't have to reveal him in Chrom's trailer or some ****.

...Still hoping for that "Three Armies Clash" trailer for Chrom that Fatman came up with.

Dude...
Now with 100% less awkward innuendos.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Chrom's chances are affected in no way by Ike returning.

Having said that, is ANYONE really that passionate about Chrom? I mean yes, he makes sense from a marketing standpoint. And no, he doesn't have to be a clone. But still, he's just another generic sword guy. (Well, Chrom could be a duo character with Robin or Lucina, I guess.)

But for the sake of roster diversity, ANY other character from Fire Emblem would be a better choice.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, after this reveal, I think that those who say that Chrom is out of the picture aren't really thinking straight. I do believe Chrom is still the most likely Fire Emblem newcomer at this point.

But I would say that Ike's reveal hurt his chances just a bit...

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Well, after this reveal, I think that those who say that Chrom is out of the picture aren't really thinking straight. I do believe Chrom is still the most likely Fire Emblem newcomer at this point.

But I would say that Ike's reveal hurt his chances just a bit...
Such a subtle remark has nothing to do with the fact you want Robin more right? :smirk:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Listen, guys, I am glad Ike got confirmed today. I like Ike better than Chrom, but that being said, I also really like Chrom as well. he only reason my support for Chrom wasn't 100 % was because I feared he might replace Ike. But clearly, this isn't the case. I have good reason to support Chrom as well, because I think Ike's reveal BOLSTERS Chrom's chances. Why? Because having Marth and Ike both revealed sets up the perfect scenario for a trailer. Also, with Ike being even more bulky than before, further contrasting him from Marth, having Chrom as a middle ground with a unique playstyle to his own is not far fetched at all. Also, consider how much Chrom has going for him. He's the star of the MOST popular Fire Emblem of all time, one which saved the series. He's the first LORD many people outside the FE fanbase got to know, increasing the fanbase overall. ARENA FEROX is a stage in the 3DS version. TIKI's trophy was revealed with AWAKENING MUSIC playing in the backround during the direct. On the Japanese Smash site, Marth's link goes to New Mystery of the Emblem, Ike's goes to Radiant Dawn, what's missing? AWAKENING, or KAKUSEI (Awakening's Japanese name). Intelligent Systems referred to Ike in Brawl, so why wouldn't they refer to Chrom, the lord of the game which could have been the last of the series, when his game actually ended up saving it? Chrom also appears in Monster Hunter and will play a role in the upcoming crossover Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. And lastly, the BIGGEST thing going for Chrom is the Gematsu/Sal Romano leak. Sal Romano has had a 100% clean record with the newcomer's he leaked, INCLUDING Wii Fit Trainer, who no one predicted. He also got Villager, which is also smething to consider, since Sakurai said that he didn't add an AC rep in Brawl because of AC's peaceful nature. Then, he called MegaMan, Greninja, and Little Mac. This leak for me seals Chrom's fate of becoming a destined fighter in Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Such a subtle remark has nothing to do with the fact you want Robin more right? :smirk:
True, I do want Robin more. However, I do believe that Ike's reveal just slightly hurt Chrom's chances, for a few reasons.

1.) While not a universal opinion, many speculated that Chrom would just replace Ike and inherit his move set and playstyle. Clearly that didn't happen, so that's one way Chrom could have gotten in that's no longer an option.

2.) Now that we already have Marth and Ike, two polar opposite swordsmen (now both in playstyle and physique), there's less room left for Chrom to be his own unique character. We already have the swift, combo-heavy swordsman and the slow, powerhouse swordsman. That leave Chrom to be either some sort of middle ground or a character based around some sort of unique mechanic. While both of those are still certainly possible, and probably likely, the room for uniqueness is a little smaller, and it kind of hurts Chrom.

3.) Sakurai made a point of mentioning that Ike's signature Aether ability is returning. Aether also happens to be Chrom's signature ability, and in a few fan-made move sets I've seen, it's the focus of Chrom's special mechanic. The fact that Sakurai is partially highlighting Ike's signature ability doesn't bode terribly well for Chrom.

Now, as I've said, I do believe that Chrom is still the most likely Fire Emblem newcomer, and that Ike's reveal only slightly hurts him. But I do think, for the reasons I've listed, it does hurt him. If only by a couple of percentage points.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
True, I do want Robin more. However, I do believe that Ike's reveal just slightly hurt Chrom's chances, for a few reasons.

1.) While not a universal opinion, many speculated that Chrom would just replace Ike and inherit his move set and playstyle. Clearly that didn't happen, so that's one way Chrom could have gotten in that's no longer an option.

2.) Now that we already have Marth and Ike, two polar opposite swordsmen (now both in playstyle and physique), there's less room left for Chrom to be his own unique character. We already have the swift, combo-heavy swordsman and the slow, powerhouse swordsman. That leave Chrom to be either some sort of middle ground or a character based around some sort of unique mechanic. While both of those are still certainly possible, and probably likely, the room for uniqueness is a little smaller, and it kind of hurts Chrom.

3.) Sakurai made a point of mentioning that Ike's signature Aether ability is returning. Aether also happens to be Chrom's signature ability, and in a few fan-made move sets I've seen, it's the focus of Chrom's special mechanic. The fact that Sakurai is partially highlighting Ike's signature ability doesn't bode terribly well for Chrom.

Now, as I've said, I do believe that Chrom is still the most likely Fire Emblem newcomer, and that Ike's reveal only slightly hurts him. But I do think, for the reasons I've listed, it does hurt him. If only by a couple of percentage points.
Those points, and the fact that Sakurai is leaning towards "unexpected and unique" so while everyone is expecting Chrom it may in fact be someone else.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As per request, I've updated Argument Two. :p

Bowserlick

Smash Hero

Very good points.

Easily way to solve it.

Make Chrom pantless. ( I saw a mousepad which makes it canon)

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So yeah, I've seen an embarrassingly large amount of people thinking that Ike being confirmed deconfirms Chrom...this is the exact opposite problem that I thought was going to happen. :facepalm:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So yeah, I've seen an embarrassingly large amount of people thinking that Ike being confirmed deconfirms Chrom...this is the exact opposite problem that I thought was going to happen. :facepalm:
This is the part where someone quotes a certain line Ike says towards the end of Radiant Dawn.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Kind of like how people thought Greninja killed Mewtwo's chances... MFW I read these statements across major gaming sites today as if it were outright confirmed:

Chrom's coming. With Ike on board, there's really no reason outside of personal taste to not include him anymore.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Kind of like how people thought Greninja killed Mewtwo's chances... MFW I read these statements across major gaming sites today as if it were outright confirmed:

Chrom's coming. With Ike on board, there's really no reason outside of personal taste to not include him anymore.
Well... I still think an Awakening representative that isn't Chrom is quite possible.

Hong

The Strongest
People have pretty ****ty attitude either way.

I don't think anyone who discounted any character is an "idiot" or crazy in any way. Both sides have had healthy arguments that are entirely valid. Fire Emblem and Pokemon characters are the most subject to replacement, and we have seen worse things happen in the series already.

Honestly, if I put my huge bias for ike aside, I would say the removal of Mewtwo was way worse than Ike. Mewtwo was actually popular even far and beyond the Smash Bros communty, unlike Ike. He was still riding off that late 90s Pokemon craze when he appeared in Melee, and he wasn't untouchable going into Brawl. And don't give me that rubbish that both were "slated" to appear in Brawl and they ran out of time. Any game developer will always tell you that no product is truly ever done. There are always things you want to do and want to add, and putting them on the short list beyond ****ty characters like R.O.B. is all the same as removing them.

Chrom isn't guaranteed. There are still plenty of 100% awesome and entirely valid characters, all who take precious development time. You, me, and nobody, has any idea what they are talking about and you have no hope in prophesying what will ship come this summer.

I wouldn't say it's anywhere near as bad as Ridley supporters in the Brawl days, but still pretty bad none-the-less.

Edit - I should add that you are 100% entitled to be passionate about the characters you love appearing in the game about loving them. I love Chrom, too. It's about how you assess the views and opinions of others that I disagree with.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Ike confirmed, deconfirms Chrom as a virgin because really... he would clearly not resist Ike's powerful forward smash.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well... I still think an Awakening representative that isn't Chrom is quite possible.
Maybe with Chrom but I don't think anyone is going to supersede him. In my eyes, two Awakening characters wouldn't be obscene, especially if they chose Robin because he/she is probably going to be a staple in future games, has potential for a moveset that's greatly different from all the other FE lords and on top of all of this it opens up a ton of possibilities now that we know that Villager has a both male and females with different hair and facial features.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Maybe with Chrom but I don't think anyone is going to supersede him. In my eyes, two Awakening characters wouldn't be obscene, especially if they chose Robin because he/she is probably going to be a staple in future games, has potential for a moveset that's greatly different from all the other FE lords and on top of all of this it opens up a ton of possibilities now that we know that Villager has a both male and females with different hair and facial features.
I actually think Robin could get in over Chrom. I mean, it's not like Chrom has to be present for Robin to get in.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Oh no, memories of my accidental venture into the M rated section of Smash fanfiction are creeping back to me.

/shudders intensely

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
It was and I told your parents and now you have to scavenge the streets and play Smash 4 with Ike against Chrom players to take their money and innocence. Now let me be mature.

Chrom can take Roy's base sword sweetspot mechanic.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Well, this may not be the most appropriate thread to query this. But when Chrom is revealed, do you expect any other Fire Emblem character to come along with them? Oh, I can imagine the setups in the trailer being perfect for Robin too! The Awakening protagonist duo! That or Anna sells hot dogs and mead in the bleachers of Arena Ferox.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, this may not be the most appropriate thread to query this. But when Chrom is revealed, do you expect any other Fire Emblem character to come along with them? Oh, I can imagine the setups in the trailer being perfect for Robin too! The Awakening protagonist duo! That or Anna sells hot dogs and mead in the bleachers of Arena Ferox.
I find a fourth Fire Emblem character to be pretty unlikely, so no.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Why do we not need for Fire Emblem characters?

There's a lot of unique fighting styles that aren't represented. FE is also in a similar predicament to Pokémon where there isn't a strike of balance between different gens (in this case, canons.)

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
This is the problem that befalls all marsupials that have the ability to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom