• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Okay, so that means we can support characters from Assist Trophies and bosses, because like you said it's only a quick cameo.

Seriously though, stop this double standard crap. Either pick one side or the other, don't make exceptions that benefits a character you want.

Never mind the fact this is all made up to begin with.
Why does this matter at all? And judging from your previous posts, you dont want chrom on the game, so why come to the chrom support thread?

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Very much so. He has been subtle about Smash Bros, as to be expected.
To go back to this, I think it reinforces my point that the voice actors have an NDA.

Everyone knows Matthew Mercer voiced Chrom, but he won't say it until the product ships. This trailer was probably finished at the latest early 2014, and Robin long done in 2013. So with that said, all the voice work would have been done in May at the latest, what with how busy Treehouse would be preparing for e3.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Okay, so that means we can support characters from Assist Trophies and bosses, because like you said it's only a quick cameo.

Seriously though, stop this double standard crap. Either pick one side or the other, don't make exceptions that benefits a character you want.

Never mind the fact this is all made up to begin with.
I'm dropping this here with you. If you continue, whatever happens is based on what you chose to do. No one here bothered you.

Very much so. He has been subtle about Smash Bros, as to be expected.
Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully this can work to our advantage. :)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
As crazy as your idea sounds, then count me in since making the Fire Emblem fanbase butthurt about 3 Awakening reps will be enough for me to feed on their tears. :troll:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Warning Received
I'm dropping this here with you. If you continue, whatever happens is based on what you chose to do. No one here bothered you.
"Oh no, he pointed out my double standards and made up lies, I better jump ship before people catch onto it!"

Be a coward all you want, but there is no hiding the truth around these parts.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So, anyone have any other ideas on where to bring this information?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
That being said, I apologize to you if I gave Robin supporters a hard time. Would you be willing to aid us, False Sense?
As a strong advocate of Robin (and thus one who's had to put up with quite a bit of unnecessary hatred and accusations of denial), I greatly appreciate your apology. And while I'm happy that my most wanted newcomer got in, I realize that it came at the expense of another potential newcomer that people wanted, and for that, I apologize.

But, with that being said, I'm afraid I simply cannot support this movement to make Chrom a DLC character.

I'm going to be quite frank here: I've never seen the appeal in Chrom as a Smash character. Don't get me wrong, I like Chrom enough as a Fire Emblem character. He's kind of cool, has something of a tragic history, has some humorous moments, and is a fairly solid unit in his own game (though a little more resistance would be nice...), so as a character, I like him. But just because I like him in general, that does not mean I want him in Smash. He is a character designed very similarly to the two characters already representing Fire Emblem, not just in looks, but in capabilities. All of his most notable abilities are the same as those used by those two other characters. Frankly, he is not overtly unique. In order for him to be unique, or even interesting, for that matter, uniqueness would have to be practically forced on him by digging into the bottom of the barrel of what he is capable of. As a potential fighter, I have never seen appeal in him. The only redeeming factor I could ever see in him was that he would represent Awakening, a game that I adore and have played through numerous times already. But ever since the beginning, I knew that there were others who could do that and more. That's why I have so strongly supported Robin all this time; I wanted my beloved Awakening to be represented, but I wanted the character representing it to actually offer something to Smash. Robin, being the character I believe to be the heart of Awakening, was someone I dreamed of having in Smash. With a viable character choice like that available, I simply could never see any appeal in Chrom as a Smash character, aside from representing the game I loved.

Now, we have that representation I longed for. Twice over. We not only have Robin, who is everything I could have hoped for, but we also have Lucina as an additional, seemingly cost-free character. We now have four Fire Emblem characters, two of which represent Awakening. With that role filled, the one redeeming quality I saw in Chrom no longer exists. To be honest, we do not need Chrom. We already have characters very similar to him, and Awakening is already represented, not only by its main character, but one of its most popular ones as well. The only reason I can think of for why Chrom should be added in is to please fans of that character. And you know what? That's just not enough. I'm sorry that you couldn't get the character you wanted. Really, I am. But they just can't please everyone with this game. Some characters just won't make the cut, and some characters just don't need to. Is pleasing a group of fans who are unsatisfied with the two Awakening characters we already have in this game truly enough justification for adding a third as DLC? Not only that, but making a character who already has a role in this game as a Final Smash into a full on playable character, just for that group of fans? No. I'm sorry, but I don't see any reason why you all should get special treatment when the character you wanted didn't make it in. I know this must sound harsh, but it's my honest opinion on the matter. And sometimes, the truth hurts.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And I respect that opinion, and accept your (admittedly unneeded) apology. I do disagree though, but let's leave it at that to not start anything, you know? I appreciate the honesty though, False Sense. I'm just trying, is all. Nothing wrong in that, right?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'd say use Twitter, Tumblr, and Change.org (The biggest petition website in history). YouTube can work if you can manage to pull off a good video and Facebook can only work IF you are willing to pay for ads that could get everyone's attention.

That's all the suggestions I have for you and choose wisely.

Agualitos

Smash Apprentice
I say you can also advertise this on facebook! Create a page for Chrom support and once it starts gathering likes you can post links to the page on Smashboards facebook page, Sakurai's (if he has one), and Super Smash's facebook page! Does this sound okay or nah? And maybe like each day we can post another reason why Chrom should be playable? Lol this is probably a terrible idea, but hopefully it helps with something :D

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
As a strong advocate of Robin (and thus one who's had to put up with quite a bit of unnecessary hatred and accusations of denial), I greatly appreciate your apology. And while I'm happy that my most wanted newcomer got in, I realize that it came at the expense of another potential newcomer that people wanted, and for that, I apologize.

But, with that being said, I'm afraid I simply cannot support this movement to make Chrom a DLC character.

I'm going to be quite frank here: I've never seen the appeal in Chrom as a Smash character. Don't get me wrong, I like Chrom enough as a Fire Emblem character. He's kind of cool, has something of a tragic history, has some humorous moments, and is a fairly solid unit in his own game (though a little more resistance would be nice...), so as a character, I like him. But just because I like him in general, that does not mean I want him in Smash. He is a character designed very similarly to the two characters already representing Fire Emblem, not just in looks, but in capabilities. All of his most notable abilities are the same as those used by those two other characters. Frankly, he is not overtly unique. In order for him to be unique, or even interesting, for that matter, uniqueness would have to be practically forced on him by digging into the bottom of the barrel of what he is capable of. As a potential fighter, I have never seen appeal in him. The only redeeming factor I could ever see in him was that he would represent Awakening, a game that I adore and have played through numerous times already. But ever since the beginning, I knew that there were other who could do that and more. That's why I have so strongly supported Robin all this time; I wanted my beloved Awakening to be represented, but I wanted the character representing it to actually offer something to Smash. Robin, being the character I believe to be the heart of Awakening, was someone I dreamed of having in Smash. With a viable character choice like that available, I simply could never see any appeal in Chrom as a Smash character, aside from representing the game I loved.

Now, we have that representation I longed for. Twice over. We not only have Robin, who is everything I could have hoped for, but we also have Lucina as an additional, seemingly cost-free character. We now have four Fire Emblem characters, two of which represent Awakening. With that role filled, the one redeeming quality I saw in Chrom no longer exists. To be honest, we do not need Chrom. We already have characters very similar to him, and Awakening is already represented, not only by its main character, but one of its most popular ones as well. The only reason I can think of for why Chrom should be added in is to please fans of that character. And you know what? That's just not enough. I'm sorry that you couldn't get the character you wanted. Really, I am. But they just can't please everyone with this game. Some characters just won't make the cut, and some characters just don't need to. Is pleasing a group of fans who are unsatisfied with the two Awakening characters we already have in this game truly enough justification for adding a third as DLC? Not only that, but making a character who already has a role in this game as a Final Smash into a full on playable character, just for that group of fans? No. I'm sorry, but I don't see any reason why you all should get special treatment when the character you wanted didn't make it in. I know this must sound harsh, but it's my honest opinion on the matter. And sometimes, the truth hurts.
That is why dlc has so much potential; it is supposed to fulfill fan requests and such!

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I say you can also advertise this on facebook! Create a page for Chrom support and once it starts gathering likes you can post links to the page on Smashboards facebook page, Sakurai's (if he has one), and Super Smash's facebook page! Does this sound okay or nah? And maybe like each day we can post another reason why Chrom should be playable? Lol this is probably a terrible idea, but hopefully it helps with something :D
Great idea man!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
And I respect that opinion, and accept your (admittedly unneeded) apology. I do disagree though, but let's leave it at that to not start anything, you know? I appreciate the honesty though, False Sense. I'm just trying, is all. Nothing wrong in that, right?
Absolutely. I admire your support for your character, even though I don't really understand it. I don't exactly agree with what you're trying to do, nor do I really think it will result in anything, but there is nothing I can do to stop you from trying. If this truly is something that matters to you so much, if this is truly something you believe in, then I encourage you to not lose hope and pursue your ambitions. Such passion has the power to change anything.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I am currently working on the official website as we speak. Props to the awesome @BKupa666 for helping me get started with it.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
A dark future is upon us, Chrom supporters. In the most recent newcomer trailer, all expectations were defied as Chrom was made into a Final Smash, and Lucina and Robin became playable. The leaker had let us down. Captain Falcon's Falcon Punch proved too strong for our hero. In the end, he fell. All the powers of Naga couldn't save him. This is all written.

But...anything can change!

With enough support, we can change this. Challenge this fate. Don't put any stock into this destiny hogwash. We are Chrom supporters, and we've dealt with many detractors. Now all it takes is to convince one more: Masahiro Sakurai. There is strength in numbers. The remorse and comradery in this community after Chrom's disconfirmation moved me. It is truly the invisible ties forged between us that can change fate's course. Come, my Shepherds, and rally your strength. We have a new path to trek: the path of kings, not conquerors. We shall not demand, cry, or give up. Instead, we shall act with passion and intelligence. We can start a movement. A movement to make Chrom a downloadable, post-release character for Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS.

The battle won't be easy, but I wish to gather the strength of the shepherds in this dark time. It takes your help to make this happen. I can't go it alone. Like Chrom, I will need an army at my side. I need people to spread this and increase our numbers, and reach out to members of the community and beyond. Spread the word of the Lord. Take it everywhere. Make art, make music, do whatever you can. I am in the process of creating an official twitter, website, and video, and am in the process of sending this to Matthew Mercer for more momentum. Any other outreach would be appreciated.

All we would ask is that Chrom be DLC. It wouldn't be hard to change this, as a simple "Alfonzo scenario" would work. Just replace Chrom with Frederick in Robin's Final Smash. We get Chrom playable, and get to hear Frederick yell "Pick a God and Pray!"

There are move set options, which the site will detail when it goes live. This would further convince some that Chrom can be his own character.

The time is now. Waiting will only set this future in stone. Message me if you would like to help. Remember, folks: Anything Can Change. Now let's get Chrom where he belongs.

Your resident Chrom fan,

Opossum.

I'll be back later for more.
I fully support this. I'll try to do anything I can to help Chrom in smash. The problem I see is that Sakurai seems like he doesn't care. Clearly represented by the trailer, though being in the game and having an HD model is something.
I'm not trying to be negative, but rather analyzing the options. Other fan-bases have tried to get their character in by popularity but failed. We'll have to do something really extraordinary to convince Sakurai, and I'm ready to be a part of that something.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I fully support this. I'll try to do anything I can to help Chrom in smash. The problem I see is that Sakurai seems like he doesn't care. Clearly represented by the trailer, though being in the game and having an HD model is something.
I'm not trying to be negative, but rather analyzing the options. Other fan-bases have tried to get their character in by popularity but failed. We'll have to do something really extraordinary to convince Sakurai, and I'm ready to be a part of that something.
And it is that special something that I'm trying to do. Complacency won't help the movement, so getting more people such as yourself to help would be a great aid. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to help this movement succeed, and the more who back this plan, the better. :)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
And it is that special something that I'm trying to do. Complacency won't help the movement, so getting more people such as yourself to help would be a great aid. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to help this movement succeed, and the more who back this plan, the better. :)
You're right. Complacency won't help. When I saw that Toad was deconfirmed once again in Brawl, I became a vocal supporter for Toad. I filled out Club Nintendo surveys after registering Mario games... I kept talking about how much I wanted to play as Toad again in a new adventure... I criticized Nintendo's treatment of Toad and I wanted Nintendo to give Toad back his backbone that he lost during the N64/GCN years... when I saw that New Super Mario Bros. Wii were going to have Blue and Yellow Toads, I was hyped and I took this opportunity to sing praises to Nintendo for including Toads in a new adventure... I wanted to keep this momentum going so I criticized Nintendo for not including a playable Toad in Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros. 2, and Super Mario 3D Land. I praised Nintendo once more when Blue and Yellow Toads were back in New Super Mario Bros. U... and I filled out more Club Nintendo surveys... I begged Nintendo to make a new game like Super Mario Bros. 2 but in 3D.

Come E3 2013 and Super Mario 3D World was announced... I literally screamed and jumped for joy... I couldn't believe that Nintendo actually did it... I've dreamed about this game for over 20 years and it's finally happening... but tragedy hit and Toad was deconfirmed once more... but it fueled my passion for my favorite character... I registered Super Mario 3D World and filled out my Club Nintendo survey... I said I bought this game only for a chance to play as Toad... I said I was very happy that Nintendo made a new game with the Super Mario Bros. 2 heroes... and more importantly, I begged Nintendo to give Toad his own game.

6 months later and it's E3 2014... Nintendo announced Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker... I couldn't believe it... I was screaming and jumping with joy... my hands shaking... Nintendo finally made Toad's own game 20 years after his first own game, Wario's Woods, and it's named after himself!

What I wanted was for Nintendo to do is to make Toad relevant again in the main Mario games... I wanted Nintendo to make Toad more important than his competition for the 5th Mario rep (I didn't anticipate Nintendo having a hardon for Rosalina though)... I wanted Nintendo to give Toad his own identity and his own game... I wanted Nintendo to give Toad more canonical material to work with that would differentiate Toad from Mario, Luigi, and Peach in Smash... I wanted Nintendo to make Toad popular so he would have fan demand in Smash. Insidious, no?

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I wouldn't mind supporting Chrom, really. Male Robin VS Female Robin VS Chrom VS Lucina seems exciting, but I don't think we should expect anything to change. Best to keep expectations low!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The site is coming along well so far. I'm plodding through it right now due to me still figuring some things out, but it's a work in progress. :D

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I have little interest in Chrom. But as a Toad supporter, I feel tremendous sympathy for your plight.
I feel Chrom is a top DlC contender already, largely because I feel future hackers will find incomplete files labeled Krom in the games code.
You have my support.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I have little interest in Chrom. But as a Toad supporter, I feel tremendous sympathy for your plight.
I feel Chrom is a top DlC contender already, largely because I feel future hackers will find incomplete files labeled Krom in the games code.
You have my support.
I'm not sure about DLC, but you do bring up a good point about hackers. If they manage to get into Smash data, then I'm sure they'd be able to take the model used for Chrom in the game and make it into a playable character. Maybe a future Project M could have Chrom in it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Okay, I have the site in its alpha stage essentially, at the moment. It's a bit bare-bones at the moment, but in the coming days it will be fleshed out. In the mean time, why not post why you want Chrom to make a DLC appearance? Just comment on the Support post!

Here is the website in its current state.

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
Wow it looks really good. I'll have to write up my Chrom fuzzy wuzzies now and post.
Have you gotten a hold of Matthew Mercer yet? Curious to know what his thoughts on this are.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wow it looks really good. I'll have to write up my Chrom fuzzy wuzzies now and post.
Have you gotten a hold of Matthew Mercer yet? Curious to know what his thoughts on this are.
That will be done tomorrow when I make the Twitter account, as it would make contact easier. I'm exhausted from making the website's bare bones... :laugh:

Contacting Matthew Mercer will be the first thing done once the account is made.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Okay, I have the site in its alpha stage essentially, at the moment. It's a bit bare-bones at the moment, but in the coming days it will be fleshed out. In the mean time, why not post why you want Chrom to make a DLC appearance? Just comment on the Support post!

Here is the website in its current state.
Finished, and its awaiting moderation. It's good to support the fallen as potential post release fighters after all.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh wow, someone from Russia viewed it! Thanks, single Russian person! Shout out to you for liking Chrom! :D

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, I really don't have any interest in Chrom as I'm plenty satisfied with Robin and Lucina, but anyways, good luck on your DLC campaign. :) The more the merrier, they say.

I do have my doubts, considering his cameo in the game was noteworthy enough to get mentioned in the trailer, so I don't expect them to change it, but eh, Sakurai is unpredictable.

Last edited:

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
i transcripted the Page 84 OP in gamefaqs, gonna spread the word there!

To arms, Shepherds! We make our final stand here!

People, after we have some form of infrastructure up, and some support from here, we NEED to try and convince the japanese fanbase to join us.

there is no hope of us getting our way if Sakurai doesn't hear us, and there is little hope of him hearing us if we dont get their help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
@ Opossum Opossum
1) Will you update the OP to mention the campaign? It's alot easier then scrolling down looking for it, even if it was in a spoiler that'd be better.
2) How does someone change their profile pic when they post a comment on the site?
Anyway, I'm sharing the site to a load of friends.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I need to ask something.

Would you guys be okay with Chrom being an alternate costume for Lucina? Because that's a lot less work than a full DLC character.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
You can add me in the list as well. I fully support Chrom as DLC.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
I need to ask something.

Would you guys be okay with Chrom being an alternate costume for Lucina? Because that's a lot less work than a full DLC character.
I'd say "Why not give him his own slot?" if he needs to be a clone of her. It'd only take 10 more minutes.
Would be annoying either way though, its clear Sakurai knows he fights nothing like Marth through Lucina and that Final Smash. I alway's envisioned him having his own moveset and Lucina being a faster clone of him.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I need to ask something.

No. Giving him his own slot requires very little work, in fact. I want to explain but it would get too technical.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I need to ask something.

At the veeeery least, I'd be totally fine with a Lucina'fied version of Ike with his own slot. Doesn't seem like that'd be too hard to do :).

As Fal said, giving him his own slot wouldn't require that much work, even if he was located in some kind of DLC expanding slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom