• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
@ Opossum Opossum
1) Will you update the OP to mention the campaign? It's alot easier then scrolling down looking for it, even if it was in a spoiler that'd be better.
2) How does someone change their profile pic when they post a comment on the site?
Anyway, I'm sharing the site to a load of friends.
...Wow, I completely forgot to update the OP. :laugh: I'll be doing so today.

And for the last part...I have no idea. D: I've been trying to figure it out.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Okay, a very down-to-earth and perhaps overly negative post ahead towards your thing Opossum. I'm not trying to oppose it, but I'm only bringing out very apparent facts, more things to consider if you all guys are being truly serious about this.

Do you know what you're dealing here exactly? The very thing Sakurai hates to deal with.

We've had millions, and MILLIONS of petitions for requests to put a character as a playable in Smash. About 99,98 percent of them WILL GET ignored, and the last two points are Miis, just for sake of COVERRING your wanted requests for any character you wanted to join the battle, and Sonic, who was a very last minute addition to Brawl, leading to delays of that game.

If you truly want Chrom to get it, you come up with something SO OUTSIDE OF THE BOX AND INGENIUS, it will basically make the developers HUNGER just for doing this character as a DLC. And secondly, you have to hope Chrom's popularity can rival Sonic's, because otherwise, he'll be forgotten up. And thirdly, we already have Robin and Lucina, which is enough to detriment (and has already) Chrom's necessity as the 3rd FE-candidate to Smash Bros 4.

Heck, fourthly, it hasn't even YET been if we even get DLC. If one day we get to read about it being slammed off, say goodbye to your project.

5ifth: GENO.

I really admire your ambition Opossum, but right now, you all are still in the very same point everybody else have been before they quit or were plain rejected. Have we ever even developed a videogame before either? Nope. We don't even know how it must be like to make a new playable character, and if it truly fits with what the developers themselves have planned to the game, or are doing wit it. At the moment I'd just leave it in time to see if Chrom can show more of his potential through his own games.

However, if you ever can overcome all these hardships, kudos to you. Kudos to you. I wouldn't ever doubt these kind of projects again.

But I'll be honest, I want an actual successful "Character-DLC" to be a reality, and that's why, I wish to give my biggest support: I want to finally see Sakurai actually listening to his fans through their efforts. Otherwise Sonic VS Mario in Smash Bros wouldn't have ever been a possibility (to some degree).

However, for now I'm going to watch this project closely though, but if you make substantial progress, I'll be sure I'll be giving you the best of my support. Remember though, I have biggest faith on ya Opossum due your speech: right now though, I want you to actually show that you are going to make the change, be NOTHING like all the similar projects as this.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Okay, a very down-to-earth and perhaps overly negative post ahead towards your thing Opossum. I'm not trying to oppose it, but I'm only bringing out very apparent facts, more things to consider if you all guys are being truly serious about this.

Do you know what you're dealing here exactly? The very thing Sakurai hates to deal with.

We've had millions, and MILLIONS of petitions for requests to put a character as a playable in Smash. About 99,98 percent of them WILL GET ignored, and the last two points are Miis, just for sake of COVERRING your wanted requests for any character you wanted to join the battle, and Sonic, who was a very last minute addition to Brawl, leading to delays of that game.

If you truly want Chrom to get it, you come up with something SO OUTSIDE OF THE BOX AND INGENIUS, it will basically make the developers HUNGER just for doing this character as a DLC. And secondly, you have to hope Chrom's popularity can rival Sonic's, because otherwise, he'll be forgotten up. And thirdly, we already have Robin and Lucina, which is enough to detriment (and has already) Chrom's necessity as the 3rd FE-candidate to Smash Bros 4.

Heck, fourthly, it hasn't even YET been if we even get DLC. If one day we get to read about it being slammed off, say goodbye to your project.

I really admire your ambition Opossum, but right now, you all are still in the very same point everybody else have been before they quit or were plain rejected. Have we ever even developed a videogame before either? Nope. We don't even know how it must be like to make a new playable character, and if it truly fits with what the developers themselves have planned to the game, or are doing wit it. At the moment I'd just leave it in time to see if Chrom can show more of his potential through his own games.

However, if you ever can overcome all these hardships, kudos to you. Kudos to you. I wouldn't ever doubt these kind of projects again.

But I'll be honest, I want an actual successful "Character-DLC" to be a reality, and that's why, I wish to give my biggest support: I want to finally see Sakurai actually listening to his fans through their efforts. Otherwise Sonic VS Mario in Smash Bros wouldn't have ever been a possibility (to some degree).

However, for now I'm going to watch this project closely though, but if you make substantial progress, I'll be sure I'll be giving you the best of my support. You just have to show that you are going to make the change, be NOTHING like all the similar projects as this. And I really hope you will.

Don't let me down Opossum.

I appreciate the concern. I'm not sure if this will work, but all we can do is try. In its current state, no, it won't get done. However, I'm trying to get this larger. It may all be for naught, but I'm willing to risk that. What is there to lose? There's only something to potentially gain, which makes it worse to do nothing, in my opinion. And if it doesn't go through, I'll be no worse off than I am now. Everything is said and done, so we can't go lower. The only option is attempting to climb back up. I don't think this will go the way of PCAM (there's a throwback for you) or similar endeavors. I'm trying to make this more...substantial, to say the least. :p

The official Twitter account is now open! Head to twitter.com/ChromForSmash to follow and retweet!

I've contacted Mr. Mercer via twitter. Does anyone know if he has a personal fan-mail email we can send it to, as well, just in case?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
MATTHEW MERCER FAVORITED THE TWEET. Felt that this was newsworthy enough to warrant a new post.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
@ Opossum Opossum

You know, there's something I've been really curious about as of late... This may sound odd, but why is it that you so strongly support Chrom for Smash? Not only are you the owner of his support thread, and have defended him for the longest of time, but as we speak you're going to extreme lengths to try and get this character into Smash, after he's already been officially de-confirmed. I'm curious as to why you want this so badly. Do you just really like Chrom as a character, and really enjoy aspects of him such as his personality, backstory, actions, or appearance? Do you just absolutely adore Awakening to the point where you think it deserves to have all three of its most important characters? Do you have some kind of personal connection to Chrom that I am unaware of? Or (and I truly hope this is not the case) is all this just because you took Chrom for granted and can't stand the fact that you were wrong? Or is there something else?

In other words, why do you feel the need to go through all this effort for one character?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
@ Opossum Opossum

You know, there's something I've been really curious about as of late... This may sound odd, but why is it that you so strongly support Chrom for Smash? Not only are you the owner of his support thread, and have defended him for the longest of time, but as we speak you're going to extreme lengths to try and get this character into Smash, after he's already been officially de-confirmed. I'm curious as to why you want this so badly. Do you just really like Chrom as a character, and really enjoy aspects of him such as his personality, backstory, actions, or appearance? Do you just absolutely adore Awakening to the point where you think it deserves to have all three of its most important characters? Do you have some kind of personal connection to Chrom that I am unaware of? Or (and I truly hope this is not the case) is all this just because you took Chrom for granted and can't stand the fact that you were wrong? Or is there something else?

In other words, why do you feel the need to go through all this effort for one character?
A valid question. It's really a mix of everything except the final point. :p

It's kinda long-winded, but basically it started with me really liking the character. Awakening was my first foyer into the series, and Chrom and Robin were the first characters I was introduced to in the game. It just felt awesome. Then there was Chrom himself. He just seems like he'd be a cool guy. The kinda guy I'd hang out and have a beer with if I were the drinking type. Collected yet brash at times, a man who values family and friends, and who has experienced countless struggles. A man who pretty much lost his older sister and role model due to the mistakes of his family in the past. I sympathized with him unlike Ike does and felt that his struggle was realistically portrayed. Then there's the awesome Exalted Falchion. I love the orange-and-blue contrast. And honestly, the game came to me at a pretty important time. It was around the time I was feeling enormously stressed about things like SATs and other school-type business. I sort of connected to Chrom at some points. Issues with the family's past affecting your life, that kinda thing. So yeah, a bit of everything but the last one. :p

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
maybe I should do this with toad

The more I think about it, the more things I question. Would you be fine with Chrom as an Ike clone? If any of the "additional" Awakening characters get a unique moveset, who'd you want it to be?
Mr. Mercer retweeting your post is awesome tho. It's already taking off ground, I think.

i still want lissa in </3
lissa and maribelle tag team would be SO cool but 0% to happen :c

Last edited:

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
@ Opossum Opossum

You can ask that question to any strong supporter of a character, and you know what their answer will be.

I could ask you the same thing about supporting Robin, especially at the time when his chances seemed bleak. If Chrom was confirmed without Robin, I'm sure all of the supporters would still hold out hope for one of the various other options for his appearance to be made. Fans of a character don't just give up, especially in the day and age of DLC. Even if the game concludes its content without him, there is always next time.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's just the recognition factor that I find awesome. :p
Yee, that part is quite awesome, but the only one you really need to win over is Sakurai... who already added two FE characters, both from Awakening, and already gave Chrom a role, even if it isn't playable.

But, uh, best of luck. You'll probably need it~

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yee, that part is quite awesome, but the only one you really need to win over is Sakurai... who already added two FE characters, both from Awakening, and already gave Chrom a role, even if it isn't playable.

Thanks for the luck wish, N3ON. :p A shame we couldn't have you on board too, haha

Niko Mar

Smash Lord

N-three-ON pls....

ANYTHING CAN CHANGE!!!!

;)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Pick a better character to start a movement for, and I might hop on board. :troll:
Oh ha-ha. :troll:

But anyway, let's take a poll. What sites shall I bring this to?

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'm up for supporting Chrom for DLC. I honestly think he was one of the most worthy candidates and I'm very surprised he isn't playable.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
*Activates flame shield*.

Ahem.

With Fire Emblem having 4 reps, 3 of which being generic sword users, and 2 of which being generic MALE sword users. There's literally no role, or point in having Chrom. Especially as a character that people would have to buy by themselves. If we get DLC it'll be removed vets, or characters that are going to sell well.

And to top it off, Chrom already has a role in the game. I can understand being disappointed that a character that you wanted isn't in. But you should count your blessings for the amazing showing that a franchise that you like has recieved so much (unneccessary) attention in Smash Bros. Especially as it was close to death only a while ago. And you at least got Chrom in a prominent role in somebody's moveset. You got more than any Fire Emblem fan could have dare hoped for.

Be pleased with yourselves.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And you at least got Chrom in a prominent role in somebody's moveset. You got more than any Fire Emblem fan could have dare hoped for.

Um...not really. Playable would have been more than we dared hope for for Chrom. Hence, this push.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
*Activates flame shield*.

Ahem.

With Fire Emblem having 4 reps, 3 of which being generic sword users, and 2 of which being generic MALE sword users. There's literally no role, or point in having Chrom. Especially as a character that people would have to buy by themselves. If we get DLC it'll be removed vets, or characters that are going to sell well.

And to top it off, Chrom already has a role in the game. I can understand being disappointed that a character that you wanted isn't in. But you should count your blessings for the amazing showing that a franchise that you like has recieved so much (unneccessary) attention in Smash Bros. Especially as it was close to death only a while ago. And you at least got Chrom in a prominent role in somebody's moveset. You got more than any Fire Emblem fan could have dare hoped for.

If we can't get him playable, oh well he has a cool appearance. But chrom has tons of potential and we want to see him in! At the very least we can show that the smash community can work together to accomplish something.

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
Fantastic work and progress Opossum! To make a website, twitter page, and contact the voice actor in less than two days! Wow.

I fully support Chrom!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Does anyone know if Serenesforest would frown upon the creation of a thread for this?

@ Robert of Normandy Robert of Normandy may be able to help me here. :p

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Some new info regarding chrom and gematsu, in particular.

Here’s the rundown:

1. Lucina was originally included as a Marth skin.
2. “A certain character” was cut during development. (Chrom? Who knows. It's not clarified.)
3. Sakurai didn’t want to reduce the total number of characters.
4. It wasn’t possible to make a brand new character on short notice.
5. Lucina was repurposed into her own character slot to fill the void.
This is a link to the thread by CAW evolution.

I think this for sure means that chrom was planned for the game but cut at some point. My theory is that it wasn't due to unoriginal moveset because lucina is his replacement, rather, His character gimmick was probably one that could not work on the 3ds, like a shepard summoning or a pair up system.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Does anyone know if Serenesforest would frown upon the creation of a thread for this?

@ Robert of Normandy Robert of Normandy may be able to help me here. :p
What exacly sort of thread are you wanting to make?

Also, I doubt you'll get much support from that site. General attitude to Chrom is lukewarm at best.

(Lol at me being some sort of expert on weeb central SF)

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think the cut character in question was Chrom. Why would he be cut relatively last-minute only to be replaced by Lucina?

My guess is it was a character who ran into either licensing or technical difficulties.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't think the cut character in question was Chrom. Why would he be cut relatively last-minute only to be replaced by Lucina?

My guess is it was a character who ran into either licensing or technical difficulties.
Asduming his info is even legit of course.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Definitely not Chrom, at the very least he could have been repurposed into an Ike semi-clone I'm sure. Even then I'm not sure how Chrom of all characters would be the one to run into technical difficulties or be low-priority.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think it was Chrom. Why throw in that bit if everything else mentioned related to the Fire Emblem characters? It just kinda makes sense, you know?

If his data is on the disk, I'm a happy camper. If Chrom was cut, the Sal Leak could definitely just be outdated, and therefore DLC is still a thing. I think cut characters would be prime choices for it.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Congrads with the recognition.. not to rain on you guy's parade or anything, but if Robin was the one laying on the ground on Monday, we would move on.

But more power to you for continuing to support Chrom. :)

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Congrads with the recognition.. not to rain on you guy's parade or anything, but if Robin was the one laying on the ground on Monday, we would move on.

But more power to you for continuing to support Chrom. :)
Thanks! I'm actually really happy with the way robin turned out; I was skeptical but they made it work really well.

In response to the new info, that may increase the chances of dlc, so hopefully that information is somewhat accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom