• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone think mainstream music is bad...

Fox McCl0ud

Smash Apprentice
Is there anyone who thinks mainstream music is bad?? Are there any people out there that listen exclusively to underground bands??

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Mainstream music doesn't have to be bad, but what am I saying? It depends on what you call bad and the thing we like to call taste. And SandTiger, this is probably the stupidest thing you could say on the subject. Yeah, what's the point? Because we like the music, perhaps? You don't listen to any band because they're famous, that's a stupid reason.

Fox McCl0ud

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion, they don't make music like they used to. Alot of the good stuff is found in the underground bands that no one has heard of.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
In my opinion, they don't make music like they used to. Alot of the good stuff is found in the underground bands that no one has heard of.
That I can agree to, but let's be fair: a lot of how good or bad some music is is defined by taste. A lot of people seem to dislike Linkin Park, I do not. But who cares about stuff like that? ^^ And about the music being not as good as it used to be: The music changes over time, that can't be stopped and it often reflects of what the masses of people generally like to hear at the moment. Well, besides rap, that was probably at its peak in the late 90's, now it just sucks ;P Nuff said.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Which one do you mean now? o_O
The topic is far too simplistic. It contains two huge generalities. That "mainstream music is bad" and that "underground music is better."

First of all, what's so terrible about mainstream music, really? "They don't make music like they used to." isn't exactly a reason. It's worse because the same genres aren't as popular now? Because that's what it sounds like when people say that. It sounds basically like they just want old bands to still be making the exact same music as back in the 70s.

Also, what qualifies an underground band? A band that only x number of people have heard of? A band signed to an independent label? A band who just hasn't sold enough records to be considered mainstream?

Good music is good music. Sometimes good music is popular. Sometimes good music isn't.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
i listen to what i think sounds good.

I don't give a **** what genre it comes from or if its mainstream or not.

It's silly to write off a song just because it doesn't fit a certain label.

greenlink

Smash Apprentice
Good music is good music. Sometimes good music is popular. Sometimes good music isn't.
This is true to a degree, but its when people make music just to sell to "x" market and not in their own way, when you have all those artists jumping on the bandwagon of what is popular music of the time just to make money. This is why i think mainstream music is bad.

Also, if your going talking about genralizations, then what is good music?

Fox McCl0ud

Smash Apprentice
This is true to a degree, but its when people make music just to sell to "x" market and not in their own way, when you have all those artists jumping on the bandwagon of what is popular music of the time just to make money. This is why i think mainstream music is bad.

Also, if your going talking about genralizations, then what is good music?
And the bandwagon thing just to make money is about all mainstream music is now a days. What happened to the bands that make music for the enjoyment of making music instead of for money. I don't see that much anymore in the mainstream market.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
And the bandwagon thing just to make money is about all mainstream music is now a days. What happened to the bands that make music for the enjoyment of making music instead of for money. I don't see that much anymore in the mainstream market.
As much as I'd like to agree with you, but you can't live off on that. But otherwise, you got something there, buddy. It's just not going to work like that that easily.

Fox McCl0ud

Smash Apprentice
Most of the underground bands stay underground because they are more into making the music vs making money. If those bands wanted to make money, then they would become mainstream. Because mainstream is where most of the money and popularity come from.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Most of the underground bands stay underground because they are more into making the music vs making money. If those bands wanted to make money, then they would become mainstream. Because mainstream is where most of the money and popularity come from.
Becoming mainstream isn't always a conscious, predictable decision. Again, you show how little you really know about the subject.

As much as I don't like them, look at a band like Radiohead, definitely mainstream, but also definitely making music not for the sake of listeners. Queens of the Stone Age is for sure mainstream, but it essentially was just a project that "took off" in a way that the predecessor, Kyuss, couldn't. Not because it was a conscious choice to "make it more mainstream" but just because it was different music.

I could talk about more, but I don't care that much. You still haven't been specific. What qualifies as "underground?" and what qualifies as "mainstream?"

kennypoopoo

Smash Apprentice
Becoming mainstream isn't always a conscious, predictable decision. Again, you show how little you really know about the subject.

As much as I don't like them, look at a band like Radiohead, definitely mainstream, but also definitely making music not for the sake of listeners. Queens of the Stone Age is for sure mainstream, but it essentially was just a project that "took off" in a way that the predecessor, Kyuss, couldn't. Not because it was a conscious choice to "make it more mainstream" but just because it was different music.

I could talk about more, but I don't care that much. You still haven't been specific. What qualifies as "underground?" and what qualifies as "mainstream?"
Thats a wicked post. On your topic of bands that don't try and be mainstream but end up there anyways a really good example is System of a Down maybe not so much now, but with there first 3-4 albums they basically defied the laws of top 40 radio and received tons of playtime and sold millions of records. On the OP's question I think its hit and miss with mainstream music theres a lot of bands that make decent original music that appeals to a large crowd. As for underground theres a lot of bands that try to go so far away from the norm that they end up making ridiculous noise.I personally listen to a lot of different stuff theres no need to enjoy only one type of music.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Everyone has there own opinion, no kind of music is better than any other (except everything is better than rap).

OffTheChain

Smash Ace
Why can't people just like the music they like anymore without being attacked by so called underground elitists? **** that....just cause your favorite rapper or whoever is good but doesn't get any shine doesn't make him one of the good underground ones....it's just makes him a good rapper that hasn't been acknowledged.

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
Everyone has there own opinion, no kind of music is better than any other (except everything is better than rap).
Good try, but you're wrong. True, everyone has their own opinion, which makes it really hard to classify one type of music as better than another. However, were I to pick up a guitar right now and start playing music, I can guarantee you that it won't be as good as a song you'd hear on the radio. Such a thing does exist as bad music.

But the real problem I find in your post is that parenthetical statement you chose to end it with. That's just plain ignorance. But you see it all the time in the US. I'm not really sure how to explain that fact away, except that it's very probably rooted in the deep seated racism that also exists within American society. Which is really sad.

What motivates you to make such a sweeping generalization so as to say that all music is better than rap? Are MTV and terrestrial radio the only places you've experienced rap? Has Jay-Z committed some egregious personal offense to you? I used to think that rap was horrible (back about 10 years ago when I was in junior high), and I refused to even consider listening to it objectively. Country, for that matter, fell into the same category as persona non grata in my mind. But then I actually listened to these types of music. I freed myself from the preconceived prejudices I held and opened myself up to the experience of listening to quality music.

Now, I'm not saying go out there and get yourself a Three Six Mafia CD or something by Rascal Flatts (in fact I would advise you against that course of action), but instead I urge you to examine why you, personally, feel the need to assert that
“...everything is better than rap”.

But with that said, I typically enjoy the process of hunting for new music to listen to, if not necessarily the music itself. Being spoon-fed videos by MTV (do they still show videos? I haven't watched that station in the last 8 years) takes away the thrill of finding something completely new, all on your own. Go out and support your local music scene by going to concerts by bands you've never heard of before with friends. And when you get there, dance. Music is great for that. You'll probably have way more fun that sitting in a packed stadium listening to some band that gets national airplay. Or maybe not. Life's what you make of it. And that applies to music as well.

Amon Amarth

Smash Journeyman
Being a hardcore underground fanatic of music, I agree that mainstream is garbage.
But just because I think it's garbage, doesn't mean the same goes for people of different ears...nor does it mean I have the right to persecute those who are mainstream.

What makes music mainstream, if it is shown on MTV, played frequently on the radio, and sold X-million copies in a week...that makes it mainstream. Underground music tends to be less popular because of the different music scenes within it. Being I'm HEAVILY into different forms of extreme Metal, I consider my self part of an "underground" metal scene. What makes it thrive however is the pure passion and dedication for the music its self.

However...this subject literally splits the listeners into two groups. On one side...the listener picks and chooses his/her music for atmosphere. Because music is not their dying passion, music is simply there for atmosphere; making him/her "mainstream". On the other side... there are those who seek much more than just to "set the mood" in their music. They seek a feeling, a burning passion they can call their own from which a handful of people can do the same. And within this group, they can culturally celebrate their dying passion for what they love so much in their own environment or "scene". THAT, is underground.

This goes without saying....the majority of mainstream music listeners do not share this deep passion for the music. But at the same time the artists do....BUT, this is not always the case; there are those who "do it for the money" When it comes down to it, it is up to that person to decide whether they truly love music THAT much, too look for more than the surface; or to simply listen just to have that tune for the party.

PS: Sleep deprivation + boredom = unnecessarily long post.

majorojam

Smash Apprentice
Mainstream music is controlled by the music corporations. The bands have almost no say in what they do at all anymore. They have to sound like everything else in order to brainwash radio-listeners and the like into thinking that's all there is in the world.

I've found the best music to be more in the underground - and I discovered it on my own.

Kaddy

Smash Journeyman
I hate people who are purely against music that's mainstream. After the Decemberists signed to Columbia Records, I knew a lot of fans who started bashing them for being mainstream. This also applies to people who "liked bands before it became cool to like them".

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
In today's world, the word mainstream, when used to describe music, has negative connotations.

Stupid fanboys that fail give it those connotations.

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
Don't think you're better than anbody else just because you listen to underground music, it only shows that you are elitist and want to feel superior. I don't know much about underground rock but the concept is still the same with HipHop.

PEPA!

Smash Cadet
i dont but at the same time you see people doing a really stupid dance and repeating horrible rhymes with nothing to say other than how shiny his wheels are, the women, the money but it sounds so...so...childish. and its the same subject matter over and over on the radio. i dont feel "superior"just more open minded because you show these people something different and they crap all over it. they're not even willing to give it a chance because it does not sound familiar. im very open i listen to anything once and see if i actually like it....i buy japanese music because it sounds good and i dont even speak japanese!! im all about music and very open to new music but most people aren't and most are the same people who just listen to top 40

PEPA!

Smash Cadet
listen to the right kind of rap...not the radio. there is really great hip hop music out there...(little brother, lupe fiasco, l.e.g.a.c.y, tanya morgan, atmosphere, murs) if you have a chance look them up hopefully you will like them

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
It really depends to who you hang out with. Such as, I listen to a lot of 'underground' music, because my friends are into that stuff.

However, don't count mainstream music out. Not all of it is bad. A lot is crap, but a lot of underground stuff is crap too. Just listen to what you like and don't get all up on people unless they're listening to something that is truly horrible, such as rap. It's overly simplistic (a three year old could make most of the beats) and its just a lot of the same. I have yet to hear more than about 5 (c)rap songs that aren't the same as the rest.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
I also listen to a lot of underground and indie music. A lot of mainstream music nowadays fails for some reason. Maybe because I'm extremely picky about what I listen to. The point is, it's all about what you makes you jiggle.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Mainstream music fails for one reason, it's all the ****ing same. Once they get a hold of a new formula that works they run with it until the next big thing comes into play. Take the 80's it was hair metal then that kinda died down and depending on your genre preference grunge hit and it didn't last to long thanks to boy bands. Now days its emo... Granted some people like the radio and that's fine but if you want to hear something ground breaking and not another ****ing off shoot of a sub division of some genre, then your only real choice is 'underground' music.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
What's the point of listening to a band no one has heard of?
so only listening to bands everyone else likes is better even is they suck or or you just don't like them music is about expressing yourself or its suppose to be but you seem to think people having diffrent opinions is a bad thing

and let me ask you whats the point of only listing to bands people have heard of?

Symphony X

Smash Lord
I find that underground musicians play what they want to play, with no fear of being rejected. Which in turn makes it better. Mainstream bands tend to play on what will earn them more money. The worst case of this I can think of is Metallica. Their early metal stuff was great. Then they played into mainstream with The Black Album. Which sucks hard.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I find that underground musicians play what they want to play, with no fear of being rejected. Which in turn makes it better. Mainstream bands tend to play on what will earn them more money. The worst case of this I can think of is Metallica. Their early metal stuff was great. Then they played into mainstream with The Black Album. Which sucks hard.
well said symphony X i may not be a fan of Metallica but i agree with your statement

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Well, I'm not really. I like their old stuff, and would definitely be a fan if they hadn't done two things.

One. Hadn't taken the easy way out and switched to mainstream.
Two. Hadn't b*tched so much when file sharing wasn't illegal. I mean, I understand they were angry at having lost money, but seriously. Cool it Metallica.

Top Bottom