• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone find a use for the tether yet?

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
Just wondering if anyone has found a use for Link's tether recovery AT ALL at this point. I use it sometimes but when I do it would have been better if I had just done upB recover instead. I see no situation to use this in yet.

Any thoughts?

D

Deleted member

its useless for recovery

up b gives you more horizontal distance and height, but you have to do a semi-G&W recovery because you have to drop directly under the ledge

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
Uhm.. Mind games? Really though, his recovery with it is garbage, there's no denying it. It's basically only really for a random shot when someone is close in the air and you need a really fast attack to knock them away.

yay for no lag? =/

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
I have noticed that you can jup off the ledge and even as you are ASCENDING away from the ledge you can tether and it'll auto-grab the ledge. Maybe this could be used somehow for meta-game.

exo5

Smash Rookie
Ive only succeeded with teather once for ledge grabbing. And when you only have the option of teather OR Up B, The odds of latching with teather is much harder than the Up B.

Skler

Smash Master
The clawshot is just another way to mix up your recovery. It isn't getting you extra distance but it allows you to be less predictable, and that alone makes it worth using.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
From what I got so far...

Tether Recovery is okay if you're close to the edge, but not enough to grab with the hands. So you can auto grab quickly and avoid being knock out and without having Spin Attack recover.

As for attacking, I might just be me, but using this for an approaching isn't working well because the Claw is the part that hits and when you use it to attack it will have sort of a narrow arching range. I can see it used for a back up counter attack or an extra hit if you connect another. We'll find out in time how useful this is.

Tatsujinken

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, tether recovery pretty much sucks. It has little range and with the new sweetspot mechanics, you're probably just better off doing an up+b recovery. I think I'll try to do something with tether though, like maybe use it as an attack. I'm not sure about this, but I don't think it's affected by stale-move negation.

Deva

Smash Lord
It's completely useless for recovery but is one of the best spacing maneuvers in the game. It's also a decent combo starter.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
u can use ur clawshot when u are above the stage and up b wouldnt work if you are too close. they would just hit you

Heavyarms2050

Smash Ace
The purpose the tether is so that if you opponent knows how to edge guard, you can air-dodge his attack, then cut the air-dodge animation short by using the chain.

Turbowombat

Smash Rookie
I've found one really intriguing use. It's rare but sometimes you get knocked almost straight horizontally off the edge. You can still tether or side dodge when you don't neccesarily have enough control over your character to jump or up B, so you can toss the tether as you're flying past the ledge and it kills your momentum (possibly saving your life from a side smash?).

Turbowombat

Smash Rookie
Yeah, edgehogging with the tether will stop opponents who rely on the tether like Olimar and Ivysaur since their attack can't connect with both you and the edge such that they could knock you off and grab it.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Technically, anyone who uses their Up+B to grab, that either doesn't hit, or their hitbox isn't above/to the side them as they go up (like Marth).

b13lion

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, edgehogging with the tether will stop opponents who rely on the tether like Olimar and Ivysaur since their attack can't connect with both you and the edge such that they could knock you off and grab it.
Technically, anyone who uses their Up+B to grab, that either doesn't hit, or their hitbox isn't above/to the side them as they go up (like Marth).
very nice, I will definitely try these out the next time I get a chance

Grachi

Smash Rookie
very nice, I will definitely try these out the next time I get a chance
To Turbo, that is a really good idea, and would work really well for 1v1 especially.

I'm not sure if it was said, cause I just scanned the majority of posts in here, but would this not be a good use for the tether?....

Say you are high health and get knocked off pretty significantly, you do your jump, do your Up+B, and are a little short but still within tether range... will the game let you tether if you fall short as I have described? So I'm basically saying after trying to catch the ledge normally, can you send out the hook after your failed Up+B attempt?

I just thought of it really, and was never in that scenario in actually playing the game, but I'm wondering if anyone else has tried it.

Turbowombat

Smash Rookie
No you can't tether after an Up B, but you can up B after a tether, whether it was successful or not. Since this doesn't increase your recovery any though, the only use I've found is if you accidentally miss the tether or to combo out of a tether in air attack if your opponent dodges it by jumping or is high enough when they get hit that you can fastfall under them and follow it up with a spin attack. Due to the lag off up b though this isn't normally recommended.

Coselm

Smash Ace
A use I have found for tether is mindgaming your opponent into getting close to you, and fastfalling a tether to their face. The landing lag is very small, so I usually follow up with the neutral a combo. Against slower characters or if my opponent DIs a lil ways away, I shield cancel the second hit of my neutral a combo and instantly shield grab.

Deva

Smash Lord
A use I have found for tether is mindgaming your opponent into getting close to you, and fastfalling a tether to their face. The landing lag is very small, so I usually follow up with the neutral a combo. Against slower characters or if my opponent DIs a lil ways away, I shield cancel the second hit of my neutral a combo and instantly shield grab.
There is NO LAG when you land, making it one of Link's best aerials and one of the best in the game.

Metzger

Smash Apprentice
The only real advantage it has is when you aren't knocked far off the side. It does cover horizontal distance much faster, so once every 50 matches or so you might dodge an incoming spike. Huzzah?

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Also, another use for the tether: When you grab the edge with a tether you can immediately jump off again (melee style) which keeps your invincibility frames, as opposed to having the usual lag from grabbing the edge.

LegendofLink

Smash Apprentice
Also, another use for the tether: When you grab the edge with a tether you can immediately jump off again (melee style) which keeps your invincibility frames, as opposed to having the usual lag from grabbing the edge.
The problem with that it that you can only tether 3 times in a row without touching the ground before your tether fails and you fall to your death.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
I really want to try tether edgegurading. You can edgehog with tether, and you can also...

Go into tether, bair, doublejump, go back to tether, repeat.

Could be pretty deadly.

Turbowombat

Smash Rookie
Every time I try to jump off the tether it sucks me into the ledge first. can you jump off it straight from impact like in melee or do you have to get to the edge before jumping off.

mthegreatone

Smash Cadet
i don't get it, i've seen plenty of Melee match vids with people using clawshot for recovery!?!?!

Iwan

Smash Ace
Just the fact that it mixes up Link's recovery game is a good enough reason to make it useful. If i know im about to get too much height on my up b (and in the process miss the auto ledge sweetspot) i'll use my tether, if not simply to avoid getting hit with a forward smash of an opposing player near the edge of the stage (a marth comes to mind...lol). Plus it's useful for mindgames. I'd say i use my tether quite often. Up b is still overall more useful for recovery, no question. But the tether isn't "useless" by any means at all.

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
Just the fact that it mixes up Link's recovery game is a good enough reason to make it useful.
It's always done this, my god.

If i know im about to get too much height on my up b (and in the process miss the auto ledge sweetspot) i'll use my tether, if not simply to avoid getting hit with a forward smash of an opposing player near the edge of the stage (a marth comes to mind...lol).
Will you now? Because I'd just recover anyway, if I'm getting too much height it shouldn't be a problem, the only reason ever to use the freaking hookshot is for horizontal recovery (which again isn't even that good), or for confusing your opponent.

Plus it's useful for mindgames. I'd say i use my tether quite often. Up b is still overall more useful for recovery, no question. But the tether isn't "useless" by any means at all.

No wonder you're so terrible.

Iwan

Smash Ace
It's always done this, my god.

Will you now? Because I'd just recover anyway, if I'm getting too much height it shouldn't be a problem, the only reason ever to use the freaking hookshot is for horizontal recovery (which again isn't even that good), or for confusing your opponent.

No wonder you're so terrible.
lol i know it's "always done this"....just answering the TC's question.

I agree, for recovery it sucks...but using it to avoid getting forward smashed near a ledge>>>>>>>>>>>using up b and getting *****. I was talking about too much height, as in you go above the ledge....

which means you dont grab the ledge right away.
which means no invincibility frames (because you haven't grabbed the ledge...)

which means...death?

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
I agree, for recovery it sucks...but using it to avoid getting forward smashed near a ledge>>>>>>>>>>>using up b and getting *****. I was talking about too much height, as in you go above the ledge....
If you suck that much at using Link's spin attack that that should EVER happen, EVER, you totally and most indefinitely deserve getting the crap beat out of you.

Should you be lucky enough to use this for recovery, consider yourself given a second chance and don't use it trying to pull of stupid stunts.

which means you dont grab the ledge right away.
which means no invincibility frames (because you haven't grabbed the ledge...)

which means...death?
I read this and I'm not even kidding, I was like, what?

Top Bottom