• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else + Ultimate's DLC = underwhelming?

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Half the people who whine about the DLC haven't even played the games they come from.
So? Smash DLC is for expert/professional gamers only? If you have enough time and money to play all those games, good for you, but you should realise how lucky you are. Also, if you used "complaining" instead of "whining", you would sound less like an ass, but that's probably intentional.

If you don't like any characters in them but bought them anyway you've got no one to blame but yourself.
On that we agree.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think the saddest part about the DLC fighters is knowing that they don't get any kind of involvement (excluding Mob Smash) outside of their Classic Mode routes and DLC spirit boards. The majority of Ultimate only uses the base game contents, but it is kind of understandable, since you have to be able to access all of the base game features without being forced to pay for additional characters.

Anyway, the biggest disappointment is knowing that we will not get any new game modes that require you to own every DLC fighter (including the Piranha Plant) to access.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
How is that a bad news?
Well, how many spirit battles do Piranha Plant, Terry, and Sephiroth appear in? Absolutely none.

And then you have Hero and Banjo, where their only spirit battle appearances were as minion fighters.

I could go on further, but simply put, the DLC fighters just don't get the same kind of treatment as the base game fighters.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Well, how many spirit battles do Piranha Plant, Terry, and Sephiroth appear in? Absolutely none.

And then you have Hero and Banjo, where their only spirit battle appearances were as minion fighters.

I could go on further, but simply put, the DLC fighters just don't get the same kind of treatment as the base game fighters.
Yeah, but... spirit battles aren't that important, are they? Especially when the characters represent someone they're not. But what I really don't get is your desire for a mode that would only be available if you bought every single DLC. Talk about a pay wall.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah, but... spirit battles aren't that important, are they? Especially when the characters represent someone they're not. But what I really don't get is your desire for a mode that would only be available if you bought every single DLC. Talk about a pay wall.
It would mostly be an extra bonus to indicate that Ultimate's development is completely over.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
It would mostly be an extra bonus to indicate that Ultimate's development is completely over.
I can get that a final surprise to wrap things up would have been nice. I just don't like the idea that it should be reserved to those who paid for everything.

Last edited:

Thanos6

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thanos6
Most of the DLC characters mean nothing to me, but I still find them fun to play. Steve, for example. Never played Minecraft, have no interest in doing so, but I enjoy playing as him and I'm happy for all his fans who are glad he got in.

The only DLC character that I actively wish hadn't been chosen was Sephiroth. I don't know who picked him (Square-Enix, Nintendo, Sakurai, or some combination), but after Cloud, his inclusion felt like a slap in the face to myself and everyone else who prefers FF games beside VII.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You know... I have to agree for the most part.

The following characters would not have been missed if they didn't get in: Joker, Terry, Byleth, Min Min, Steve as a playable fighter and not just a Mii which would have saved a #### ton of development time apparently AND still gotten JUST AS BIG OF A REACTION........and now Kazuya. I would not be wondering where these characters were if they were not in. I wouldn't be looking at the Smash roster and saying..."Where is Terry Bogard?"

I imagined a much better and more appealing world where we get things that are far more remarkable and ground breaking such as the following replacements I have picked out which shatter more barriers than ever before and would be overall far more impressive than the mostly eastern created characters that we currently have as DLC:

Crash Bandicoot - This should've been a given from the get go. He was even in the if there was a Smash 2 list made by Sakurai long ago, which Banjo Kazooie was also in. Having Sony's most memorable gaming icon go head to head with Segas and Nintendos is really what should've happened, but I highly doubt it now.

Scorpion - Mortal kombat (as well as many other American made gaming franchises) isn't in Smash because it wasn't made by Japanese developers. Let's just rip the band-aid right off and not sugar coat it. Sakurai himself said that the language barrier makes it extremely difficult to work with many companies. I call bull ****. Sakurai puts whatever he wants in Smash. And he barely makes the right decisions in my opinion. Any characters he adds will always sell and get positive receptions unless its Fire Emblem for the one thousandth time.....

((((((CAN YOU IMAGINE IF SMASH HAD DONE THE IMPOSSIBLE???? With Ryu already in from Street Fighter and now Scorpion from Mortal Kombat ??? WHAT THE ?? MK AND SF in the SAME GAME ???!! Mortal Kombat VS Street Fighter has always been the fight that ALL fighting game fans have wanted to see. Sakurai could've easily put his name on that accomplishment...yet sadly.... It just doesn't seem possible with his or Nintendo's mind set. AND DON'T EVEN try to tell me that this #### wouldn't SELL LIKE HOTCAKES....))))))

Agumon - I can't think of better marketing for a character.... NOW YOU CAN FINALLY HAVE POKEMON VS DIGIMON IN THE SAME GAME????!!!! I would argue Agumon is the single most HYPE character Bandai Namco has in their arsenal, but because he isn't a humanoid with the look of an anime character..he will never happen... (sigh)

Master Chief - Same reason as Crash Bandicoot... Just because we got Banjo, that means NOTHING at all toward Xbox.. Banjo is a RARE character in all of our heads. Not even Steve or Cuphead scream Xbox to anybody in their right mind.... Master Chief is that other icon we needed, but I know for sure that ain't happening now. Sheesh they sure missed out on some damn beautiful choices so far.

Sora - Look I don't care what anyone has to say about Sora being in Smash. It's clear that the majority of the fandom wants him. IT'S LIKE PRINTING MONEY???? !!! Seriously, how in TF are we not getting BIGGER NAMED characters...

SMASH ULTIMATE??? was probably a poor choice of names. It implies the greatest version of someone or something.....uhhhh... Look I have to be honest. Minus the DLC for this game. It IS WITHOUT A DOUBT...the best Smash game we've had to date (despite Brawl having a way better Story Mode in Subspace), but geezus the DLC picks are atrocious for the most part.. For most people that played Smash when they were younger until now... Characters like Joker, Byleth, Steve, and Min Min just don't do a damn thing for us.. Period.

It is fine when you put that stuff in as base game for the newer audiences that you want to bring in, but IMO I think DLC should be for ONLY fan requested characters. A few surprises is always expected, but I honestly think Sakurai just does what he wants....and I disagree with most of his choices and don't glorify him like most Smash enthusiasts seem to. I'm sure he is a good guy, but he isn't god with ultimate abilities to make everything perfectly, because if he was, this roster would have way more cereal box WORLD RECORD SHATTERING characters in it than it does right now...

Even little things like swap out a character like Corrin for Dixie Kong... YOU KNOW ONE OF THOSE CLASSIC CHARACTERS.... Trade out Wii Fit for Waluigi... People like simple stuff...man. Swap Chrom echo for Funky Kong Echo... Easy stuff.... LEGACY is what Smash has always seemed like it was shooting for, but apparently not..and passionate folks like me just have to swallow that big disappointing pill and realize that Legacy of a character really doesn't mean the same thing to everyone, but I wish it did... I really really wish it did. I know for sure Nintendo had the money to get each and every one of these characters if they wanted to.. I would just like to know whyyy....tf... wouldn't you...?

Anyways its nice to let out the true feelings of simple things here and there from time to time. I do passionately care about Smash getting its just desserts, but I think Sakurai knows that regardless of what characters he adds (bar anymore FE) that they will just sell, because its Smash, so he does wtv tf he wants to, and the fact the some of us can SENSE that vibe is so damn annoying... But whatever... This is just my opinion. Have a good damn day!
...I'm baffled by the line you drew between 'no one wanting Kazuya' and 'everyone wanting Scorpion.'
You're aware the big three Fighting Game Franchises are MK, SF, and Tekken, yeah? (Ignoring that Tekken and Pokken have the relationship they hae. And ignoring that Terry Bogard's legacy is what gave us Smash in the first place).

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
would you cite that?
I forgot exactly where it is, but Sakurai got the idea for Smash when he beat someone in Fatal Fury so bad that he wanted to make a fighting game for casuals or something like that.

Blitzwing

Smash Cadet
Here's the DLC for me.

Piranha Plant was unexpected, but I welcome him with warm arms.
Joker was a character I actually never knew about when he was first announced, I went to play Persona 5 for myself, and appreciated him so much more.
I don't care about Dragon Quest, so meh.
Banjo-Kazooie was the most excited I ever gotten. I never expected them to get in the game, and they weren't even at the top of my list. But, seeing them in the game makes me smile.
I never played or heard of SNK, sue me. So I do not care about Terry.
Byleth was a bad way to wrap up fighters pass 1. I like Fire Emblem, but he/she wasn't a good way to end it. Maybe if they were the 3rd character I'd be fine.

Fighters Pass 2:
Min-Min is alright. Never played Arms, but I think she was a neat addition.
I never really took much interest in Minecraft (I'm more of a Roblox guy), but seeing Steve in Smash Bros is so stupid, I love it.
Sephiroth was fine...
Pyra/Mythra depressed me, lol.
For Kazuya, I honestly think they should of added Nightmare from Soulcalibur.
Sora, hot take, but I do not care about Kingdom Hearts. The reason I didn't want Sora, was because if they added him, my favorite parts of the game, the Disney cameos, would be removed.

Now, all of the characters are fun to play as, but did I want them? Nope. But, Banjo can stay.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
So when it comes to me:
1. Far too many Third Partys and Ads
2. No Kirby And Zelda Characters Again?
My JMore direct Opinion is here:

Joker: The Game is liked and has some history but i still dont get why they didnt pick Jack Frost He wouldve repped the main series too!
Hero: Other than that the new hero is default/ New Game got the Stage a perfect Pick Very Deserved but yeah Erdrick shouldve been default!
Also i forgor the mana bar is okay but not the commands!
Banjo: No Issues At all true not the biggest Microsoft Rep But he has a huge history with Nintendo so he makes So Much Sense!
Terry: He starts the trend of Characters the ignore Smashes Basic Mechanics also a REALLY Obscure Character with little nintendo history but a neat stage tho!
Byleth: He Shouldve been saved for the next game! we already got 4 FE Chars in ultimate and Sm4sh! Instead he shouldve been either Impa or BWD! Or Heck ANY Zelda/ Kirby Char that isnt a ad!
Min Min: In of Itself its fine for arms to get a rep as the game finnished its content cycle AND is a new IP But Of corurse the character had to be gimmicky
Steve: Deserved Character 100% But again a bit to complex but still he really shouldnt have been controversial at all!
Sephiroth: Technically good Inclusion especially for FF7s Music but he shouldve Been black mage/ Vivi couldve even used the mana bar and wouldve repped other games (Also the AC/ Dissidia Focus of the two FF7 Chars is dumb as heck!)
Pythra: Technically no issue with a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Rep! BUT XC Had only 3 games at that time just like mother with the big diffrence that mother inspired Hundreds of Fan Projects While XBC is just really great so they shouldve saved the Third XBC Rep for a game later and either given us the stated other Zelda/ Kirby Rep or just like porky or... Something else you know!
Kazuya: Again deserved but far too ignoring of Smashes mechanics!
Sora: Welp i dont think Sora shouldve been added for one reason... DISNEY Disney is The Straight up Worst Media Company to exist and also is well not a gaming franchise! I mean tons of people asked for donald and goofy and No this inclusion was a mistake but in of itself a well designed charcter!

BTW That sakurai felt the need to kill all of nintendo for a third time in the sora trailer is just weirdin me out also the third time that a weird caharcter saved them
1. Sonic a third Party
2. Kirby Sakurai craetion
3. Sora a friggin Disney Characdter!

Soy_Man

Smash Apprentice
I know everyone's moved on by now, but I want to give this my two cents.

None of the DLC fighters were my “dream picks”. A lot of the characters I personally wanted were either already in Smash or simply aren't necessary additions. Prior to the DLC I had never played Persona 5, Dragon Quest, Banjo-Kazooie, KOF, Fire Emblem, Arms, Final Fantasy 7, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Tekken, or Kingdom Hearts. So naturally the DLC picks didn’t do much for me on a personal and emotional level. But Smash doesn't exist to appease my tastes. When Sakurai picks a character that exists outside the bubble of the stuff I like, I keep an open mind and go about understanding why they would have a place in Smash. If their goal with the DLC was to expand Smash's scope by putting in video game icons from franchises with rich legacies, and representing a wide range of video game types, then they absolutely excelled.

Persona and SMT are both long-running, cult-classic JRPG series'. And Joker is the character, from this part of gaming, that has the most mainstream appeal.
Dragon Quest is a massively influential, monolithic franchise, That got it's start on the NES. It's inclusion was honestly a long time coming.
Banjo-Kazooie is like, the quintessential 3D platformer collect-a-thon, and is heavily associated with Nintendo.
Terry Bogard is the only SNK character on the roster, and is an icon of the NEO GEO console. Neo geo being a significant part of gaming's history. I will defend his inclusion to the death.
Minecraft. It's Minecraft.
Sephiroth is one of the most iconic villains in any video game, and his addition brought more FF7 music, which was much needed.
Tekken has historical significance, as it popularized 3D graphics in fighting games. Also, if you wanted Smash to have more villain characters, Kazuya Mishima is literally Satan.
And Kingdom Hearts is cool, I guess.

Other than that, there Byleth, Min Min, and Pyra/Mythra, all being from recent Nintendo published games. You could call them underwhelming, but they don't take away from the rest of the DLC. So overall, Sakurai and the Smash team delivered the goods. When people decry the DLC as a disappointment and say nebulous **** like "there's no real magic", I don't get where they're coming from. Like, what do they even expect from Sakurai?

Edit:

I decided I'd rank their inclusions from worst to best. (My personal bias plays a major role in this)

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
would you cite that?
OKAY!

(tl;dr: Sakurai was playing King of Fighters '95 when he won a one-sided game against beginners, which left him feeling bad (since he didn't realize that they were new) and thinking that there should be more fighting games that are accessible for beginners, leading to Smash)

---

Regarding the topic of the thread, I was fine with most of the DLC. Season 2 wasn't quite as exciting as season 1 (though to be fair, Banjo's a character that I wanted in Smash for at least two decades, so not much is going to top that), but part of that is due to my relative lack of familiarity with the franchises involved:

• I only played the demo of ARMS, and I wasn't a fan, though I preferred Min Min over most of the ARMS cast
  • I hadn't played Minecraft since the beta, so before Alex or Enderman were in the game - Steve is like Simon Belmont to me, where I'm aware that the game's important and worth including in a game like Smash, but I don't have a personal connection like I do with Sonic, Ryu, Bayonetta, etc.
  • while I had beaten Final Fantasy 7 at this point, thanks to the Switch release, I was relatively new to the game, so while the inclusion of Sephiroth was exciting, I didn't have as big of a reaction as long-time fans would have.
  • I've only played a bit of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and I'm nowhere near as invested in the game as I was with Xenoblade 1 - it seems to be doubling or tripling down on a bunch of tropes that turn me off of the game in general
  • I'm fairly new to Tekken (I only played the series for the first time through Tekken Tag Tournament 2 on the Wii U), and while it's great to see that series make it into Smash, Kazuya was the least interesting of the three core Mishimas (Heihachi, Kazuya, and Jin) for me
  • I only beat Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 for the first time VERY recently; it's great to see it happen, and I have no idea how Nintendo worked out a deal with Disney, so I'm aware of how momentous the occasion is, but I don't have the attachment to Kingdom Hearts that others do
Still, I'm using this lack of familiarity on my part to try getting into some of the franchises in question. (though it would be nice if there was a Tekken collection for modern consoles, since unless I buy a PS1 mini/classic, I don't have a legal way to play Tekken 3)

Season 1 was great, with the exception of Byleth. I would have been fine with any of the house leaders, with Edelgard being my personal pick, but Byleth was easily the blandest option. (I get that they didn't want to make it seem like one route was more important than the others, but Byleth is such a nothing character) Banjo and Kazooie were easily the highlight for me (a dream come true), but Joker, Hero, and Terry were also great additions, and I found Piranha Plant to be a fun inclusion.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
OKAY!

(tl;dr: Sakurai was playing King of Fighters '95 when he won a one-sided game against beginners, which left him feeling bad (since he didn't realize that they were new) and thinking that there should be more fighting games that are accessible for beginners, leading to Smash)

---

Regarding the topic of the thread, I was fine with most of the DLC. Season 2 wasn't quite as exciting as season 1 (though to be fair, Banjo's a character that I wanted in Smash for at least two decades, so not much is going to top that), but part of that is due to my relative lack of familiarity with the franchises involved:

• I only played the demo of ARMS, and I wasn't a fan, though I preferred Min Min over most of the ARMS cast
  • I hadn't played Minecraft since the beta, so before Alex or Enderman were in the game - Steve is like Simon Belmont to me, where I'm aware that the game's important and worth including in a game like Smash, but I don't have a personal connection like I do with Sonic, Ryu, Bayonetta, etc.
  • while I had beaten Final Fantasy 7 at this point, thanks to the Switch release, I was relatively new to the game, so while the inclusion of Sephiroth was exciting, I didn't have as big of a reaction as long-time fans would have.
  • I've only played a bit of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and I'm nowhere near as invested in the game as I was with Xenoblade 1 - it seems to be doubling or tripling down on a bunch of tropes that turn me off of the game in general
  • I'm fairly new to Tekken (I only played the series for the first time through Tekken Tag Tournament 2 on the Wii U), and while it's great to see that series make it into Smash, Kazuya was the least interesting of the three core Mishimas (Heihachi, Kazuya, and Jin) for me
  • I only beat Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 for the first time VERY recently; it's great to see it happen, and I have no idea how Nintendo worked out a deal with Disney, so I'm aware of how momentous the occasion is, but I don't have the attachment to Kingdom Hearts that others do
Still, I'm using this lack of familiarity on my part to try getting into some of the franchises in question. (though it would be nice if there was a Tekken collection for modern consoles, since unless I buy a PS1 mini/classic, I don't have a legal way to play Tekken 3)

Season 1 was great, with the exception of Byleth. I would have been fine with any of the house leaders, with Edelgard being my personal pick, but Byleth was easily the blandest option. (I get that they didn't want to make it seem like one route was more important than the others, but Byleth is such a nothing character) Banjo and Kazooie were easily the highlight for me (a dream come true), but Joker, Hero, and Terry were also great additions, and I found Piranha Plant to be a fun inclusion.
hmm only a year later

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
dont get the pyra and mythra hate and how people can live with themselves by not having a full roster :p

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I guess if there’s an underwhelming aspect of the DLC in general, it’s that Ultimate doesn’t do what, for example, Dragon Ball FighterZ does and add a DLC fighter’s data into the game even if you haven’t purchased them yet. There’s so many thing you could do with this:
  • Have DLC characters appear on other DLC characters’ Spirit Boards (for example, Banjo as Kuma on Kazuya’s Spirit Board) and Classic Mode routes
  • Have DLC characters only appear in Training if you haven’t purchased them yet
  • Have the Sephiroth Challenge occur and be able to get Sephiroth for entirely free
These are just a few examples I listed.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I guess if there’s an underwhelming aspect of the DLC in general, it’s that Ultimate doesn’t do what, for example, Dragon Ball FighterZ does and add a DLC fighter’s data into the game even if you haven’t purchased them yet. There’s so many thing you could do with this:
  • Have DLC characters appear on other DLC characters’ Spirit Boards (for example, Banjo as Kuma on Kazuya’s Spirit Board) and Classic Mode routes
  • Have DLC characters only appear in Training if you haven’t purchased them yet
  • Have the Sephiroth Challenge occur and be able to get Sephiroth for entirely free
These are just a few examples I listed.
It does add the date whether you buy it or not, otherwise you couldn't fight them online. They just don't do much with it. And I do get the idea of not adding them to other things if you didn't pay for them, though I do wish at least some classic routes would use DLC that released before them if you had purchased them.

Also, considering how easy the Sephiroth challenge actually was, or just in general, why would they do that?

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
the pass were dirt cheap and you only had to by 2 of them so I dont see how anyone could not afford them if they really wanted them

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I just noticed that ultimates Dlc might be why first Partys are so disliked Now i mean we have:
A Generic Unpopular Enemy
A Walking Advertisment from a series that shouldnt have more chars than Zelda
A Character from a Unpopular game
And a Transforming Character that isnt to intersting either
Imagine if instead the characters were:
Waluigi, Geno, Skull Kid and BWD That wouldve been really hype!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I just noticed that ultimates Dlc might be why first Partys are so disliked Now i mean we have:
A Generic Unpopular Enemy
A Walking Advertisment from a series that shouldnt have more chars than Zelda
A Character from a Unpopular game
And a Transforming Character that isnt to intersting either
Imagine if instead the characters were:
Waluigi, Geno, Skull Kid and BWD That wouldve been really hype!
what unpopular game?

Arthur97

Smash Master
I think Nintendo kinda shot themselves in the foot with all the third parties and the hype machine. I think that might have a large amount to do with why some people seem to resent first party picks so much. Especially for DLC. The first party DLC probably would have gone over better to varying degrees with the Byleths probably causing the most salt if Smash 4 and especially Ultimate's DLC wasn't so inundated with third party picks. However, now they are expected to just keep pumping out third parties it seems to the point most first party fighters seem to be seen as less worthy or "hype."

In other words, is it really sustainable? Not to mention, it means more in licensing fees which is probably why so many of them are DLC. How are people going to react now if several third parties end up cut because of the hassle and the need to make cuts anyway?

Arthur97

Smash Master
you know the game sold really well right? and there was a lot of buzz about us getting a character
To be fair, part of the buzz was likely how they did it. That said, yes, it sold better than XC2 though, XC2 might still be more popular as that's kind of hard to gauge and I can't say for certain as I cared more about the latter so naturally my circles talked about it far more than ARMS.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
To be fair, part of the buzz was likely how they did it. That said, yes, it sold better than XC2 though, XC2 might still be more popular as that's kind of hard to gauge and I can't say for certain as I cared more about the latter so naturally my circles talked about it far more than ARMS.
well as someone who was in both circles I can assure you both were well received

Nah

Smash Champion
How do you gauge that?
idk about the latter two, but Waluigi has long seemed like a common request to me, and in Geno's case a lot of people had a complete ****ing meltdown when Sephiroth's trailer confirmed he was not going to be a playable fighter

Top Bottom