• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any Sonics out there with uncommon/customized control schemes?

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Out of curiosity, are there any Sonics out there with uncommon control schemes? If you do, please explain why.

I personally use quite a customized WiiChuck scheme:

Down D-pad: Jump
Side D-Pad: Side Smash
Shake Smash: ON
Tap Jump: OFF

I love the Wiichuck. I told myself I would learn to use it insteadof the GC controller for comfort and to separate from melee. It was tough, but I did it. Down on DPad is awesom for shorthopping, just flick the tip of the D-Pad. And I find shorthop to fair/nair being exceedingly easier for me on the Wiichuck by flicking down all the way to the A button. Side smash on the DPad and and shake smash gives me quicker access than with the C stick. Tap jump is just annoying for me =P

Anyone else?

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I didn't change much. I still use the GC controller, because I don't like the feel of the other controllers. I turned tap jump off, and set x to grab. I find it much more comfortable for me to grab that way instead of that annoying z button.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I played around with Tap Jump off but it didn't feel right even though I don't tap jump ever.

Made spinshotting outta the charge feel werird. But I think it would help me with Utilt.

I can't manage to get tilts down right as it is. Just ftilt out spin dash/charge(as in when it "clashes") Any tips on tilts? I always end up smashing no matter what I do.

Hey, Memphis did you use Sonic at all during Esticle or no? I saw you there but I was too shy to really intro myself to anyone.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
In my hands, the Nunchuk and the GC controller are equal.

I kept everything the same, but I turn tap up jumping off. Makes it 57348924738 times easier to do uptilts, which is especially good for Sonic considering his uptilit can start his aerial combo game.

turning tap up off also makes sure that I don't waste a jump when I do an uair.

Tips for tilting, here's what works for me:

Forward Tilts
1) Don't smash the stick like you do when you wanna do a smash. Just push it slightly forward.
2) Training. Practice and see if walking Ftilts are punishable by law. For me, then tend not to be, and sometimes with Sonic, I can get off two of them before I attack.

UpTilts
1) Turn off Tap Up Jumping, then hold up forever. You'll do 100 of them in a row without failure.
2) If you perfer tap up jumping on, then my guess is to hold up slightly without jumping. If you know you wanna do an uptilt before you land from an aerial, you can also hold up the whole time and press A.

Down Tilts (the easiest ones)
1) Simply hold down (don't smash it) and press the attack button. Once again, you'll do 100 of them in a row without failing. Okay, less in Sonic's case because his moves him forward.

Basically, you'll have to think about it when you tilt. You gotta find out how much (or how little) you have to push the analog stick to pull them off. Practice in training to get them just right, then you'll see how effective Sonic's tilts are. They're almost lagless, adding even more hidden danger to Sonic.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
my big problem is I find I tap A to early whenever I go for tilts in an actual fight or to test how a combo works without DI(in hopes that reading my oppenant will allow me to compensate later) in training. It's in the moment.

I suppose I just have to start practicing in training and TRYING to use them more in my non important matches till the delayed attack is like second nature.

Tried to the C-Stick to tilts but it just acts to funny and I'm to used to the easy turn around FSmash so I ended up doing AAA instead of Ftilt. Plus no Stutter Stepping that way which is bad.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
I played around with Tap Jump off but it didn't feel right even though I don't tap jump ever.

Made spinshotting outta the charge feel werird. But I think it would help me with Utilt.

I can't manage to get tilts down right as it is. Just ftilt out spin dash/charge(as in when it "clashes") Any tips on tilts? I always end up smashing no matter what I do.

Hey, Memphis did you use Sonic at all during Esticle or no? I saw you there but I was too shy to really intro myself to anyone.
Acually no i didn't. I was on a hot streak with Lucas so I just kept playing him. I should have though, I consider my sonic pretty good considering. I improve everytime I play with him. My crew considers him pretty good anyway.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
mine is weird, since i made the wiimote as close to a gc controller as possible, d-pad down is b. b is shield, z is grab, and c is jump. shake smash on, tap jump on, however i might try turning jumping off to see what itll do for me

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Memphis, you're gunna me at MM9 right? I'm probably gunna hit that up. I have to remember if to ask you to critique my Sonic.

At this point he's my main, and I've decided to stick with him through thick and thin, and I'm sure you could give me some pointers and help me improve. I'll try and keep an eye out, but I'm sure by MM I'll forgot what you look like as I didn't really talk to you at Esticle.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Memphis, you're gunna me at MM9 right? I'm probably gunna hit that up. I have to remember if to ask you to critique my Sonic.

At this point he's my main, and I've decided to stick with him through thick and thin, and I'm sure you could give me some pointers and help me improve. I'll try and keep an eye out, but I'm sure by MM I'll forgot what you look like as I didn't really talk to you at Esticle.
Yeah man I would be happy too.

Ulciroa

Smash Cadet
Wiichuck:
Tap Jump On
Shake Smash Off
DPad: Smashes

Only real special thing. I learned to play smash using the CS to jump, and that's the way I've always (and ever will) play.

Tenki

Smash Hero
With wiichuck:
B to grab (lol equivalent of Z on GC)
DPad down: Special

thinking of maybe changing DPad L/R to special (instead of grab) and DPad down to jump, or the other way around.

Mienaikage

Smash Cadet
I use the classic controller with removed springs.
L = Jump
LZ = Special
RZ = Attack
R = Shield

My thumb never leaves the c-stick, I do grabs by pressing shield + up on the c-stick and reverse grabs by pressing shield + back on the c-stick.

Arde

Smash Rookie
Wiichuck - d-pads set to smashes. B for jump, A for attack, C for specials, Z for shields.

Grabs are done by either shield+A or A+B.

JiangWei23

Smash Journeyman
GC:

Tap jump off
L is grab

Wiichuck:

Down d-pad is jump
Side/up d-pad are smashes
C is grab

Tenki

Smash Hero
I changed my Wii-chuck scheme to

B: shield
D-pad Down: Jump (sooo nice to just roll from dpad down to A and do SH F-air, sooo nice)
D-pad L/R: Special
C: Grab (mostly to neutral-drop items in midair)

It's a new setup for me, but I found that, maybe as a result of having had dpad down as special in the past, or maybe out of being a Genesis Sonic player, I've been doing down+jump really often lol.

Also, it feels like I can shield faster with wii mote, simply because there's no pressure sensitivity, while using GCc, I keep light-tapping shield -___-'

Top Bottom