• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Another SmashBoards Creates Thread: Sonic Mania 2!

Whose Fang moveset should we use?

• Janx_uwu

• Glubbflubb

Results are only viewable after voting.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Hey if my Fang/Amy moveset wins and we have sheild contests would you also add what effect Amy and Fang would have since that's a main mechanic of them
Would be up to you, since it would be your moveset that wins. Personally though, I wouldn't as having a specific ability tied to three different shields is complex enough.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Would be up to you, since it would be your moveset that wins. Personally though, I wouldn't as having a specific ability tied to three different shields is complex enough.
You may be right for amy but I think it would complement Fang though in my opnion

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Oof, it's been a bit! Sorry for the delay, my Friday was loaded and so was this morning. Anyways, It's time to start voting for stages!
Haven Hive Zone ( Glubbfubb Glubbfubb )
Electric Pantheon Zone ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
Scrap-Nik Zone ( YoshiandToad YoshiandToad )
Badnik Blunderworld Zone ( Janx_uwu Janx_uwu )

Because we got a very limited amount of submissions, I'll allow two to be added (leaving us with 6 other new zones). Vote for your top two, but if you want to vote for your own, please keep it to your second vote.
Gameplay submissions for Amy/Fang will remain open until later tonight.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
The fact everyone seems to want a scrapyard/beehive stage means just how any level types people want in a new sonic game

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
(Man, we really need some more participants in this thread...)
Scrap-Nik=10 points
Haven Hive=5 points

Badnik Blunderworld=2 points
Electric Pantheon=1 point

Well, there you have it-our first two zones will be Scrap-Nik zone and Haven Hive zone! I'm really happy with these results-they're great concepts on their own and have the potential to be fleshed out a lot over the course of two acts. Speaking of winners...
Glubbfubb Glubbfubb 's Amy submission wins by default for being the only one submitted.
Here is something unique for Amy

In Advanced 1 and Adventure she couldnt jump into a ball instead she needed to use her hammers to smash things, in Boom (yes I'm referring that) she uses her hammer for gymnastics so I thought of a good moveset

She is slower than sonic and has knuckles jump height, however when running and you use her hammer you can do a hammer jump like in adveture and when you use the hammer on a wall she can sorta wall jump, unless rolling down a hill the hammer is her main means of attack

She can use her hammer to hook onto ledges acting as a sort of ledge grab and has an ista sheild esc move when using the hammer in the air, if she uses this move over spikes she will bounce off them like it was nothing and can be chained to have her bounce off a entire plate of spikes potentially getting a new shortcut

Amy also has unique effects when using elemental sheilds like sonic, the fire shield makes her hammer give a rocket boost double jump (think the burst wisp) the lightning shield let's her lightspeed dash and the water shield give her a slow gliding move

As a result her levels are slightly different kinda like knuckles campaign to accommodate this unique moveset
His submission gives Amy an Advance-style moveset, but locks certain powers behind elemental shields. Amy will also have unique sections of levels to accommodate her unorthodox playstyle of not being able to roll into a ball and having special hammer abilities. You may want to keep these things in mind when we submit future zones.

But, we still have to vote on a gameplay style for Fang.

Glubbfubb Glubbfubb 's submission
Janx_uwu Janx_uwu 's submission
Should probably go without saying, but just vote for one this time.

Here's our next job, by the way.

JOB #6: Submit a plot for the game

Classic Sonic games have never had much plot, but its always been enough to give the player a reason to push through and beat the game. That's basically what we're trying to craft here. In Mania 2, this will be the narrative that pushes the main mode of the game, Mania Mode. Just keep your story fairly simple and don't tie it into Adventure-onwards games.
ALSO, submitting a plot that includes Eggman as the main villain will not ban him from being submitted as playable in the future.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Janx' Fang moveset

Plot:
This plot is a little more complex than most Classic Sonic plots with a lot of twists, but still pretty simple and easy to follow.

Eggman is stealing ancient artefacts (colourful crystal forms of level elements like springs, spikes, and monitors) in persuit of immortality so Sonic and co. have to collect them before Eggman does, while Fang tries to stop them. Late into the game Eggman steals them from the heroes and uses to them to no avail - it's revealed the artefacts had no power and Fang was tricking Eggman into trying to find them so he could become a multi-billionare, revealing Fang as the real main villain. There's a typical "day is saved" animated ending where the other playable characters save your character of choice - but the exact context of that will depend on what the final level looks like.

After completing the hero story, Fang's story is unlocked (as would any other villain story - I do have an idea for an Eggman story but we'll get there when we get there if at all), which takes place concurrently and reveals Fang forged the artefacts - with his plot telling the tale of how he snuck them into the most dangerous possible places as an attempt to assassinate the heroes while they track down Eggman - culminating in a role-reversed version of the game's final fight - Fang's animated ending is comical and a little fanservice-y. It depicts Fang using his money from the forged masterpieces on holidays to zones from previous games that aren't playable in Mania 2... and almost instantly running out of dough, putting him back at square one.

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Once every decade a silver comet called Meta Neo passes the earth bringing great prosperity to those who see it, it is said that getting the comet will give you unlimited steel so eggman steals the comet to rebuild the titanic monarch

Sonic and Co decide to head to Eggmans base but as soon as they go their the Comet acts weirdly, suddenly a pulse radiates from the comet and the Badnicks begin to rebel against Robotinik, then the comet takes the unconscious Ray (hence why he isnt playable) and kidnaps him so Eggman and Sonic decide to team up to stop this new threat (this is a story reason for scrapnik zone as their is a new threat of robot overpopulation)

Meanwhile Fang is trying to clear his name from being impersonated in the last game and decides to find this Meta Neo comet for himself and sell it to pay his debt, however the Heavy Magician (just her this time) also wants the comet for herself so she can make her own Magical Carnival Show forever, can these two enemies beat each other find out next time

MEANWHILE Amy hears from a fortune teller (referencing the instruction manual from CD) that to find love from a hero one must become a hero, so Amy goes on a quest as well to save the world just to impress Sonic. But also meanwhile the news of Eggmans defeat spurs his niece Omelette to try to conquer the world in his place and so becomes Amy's rival of sorts

Look I know Omlette isnt a official character but hear me out, Sonic mania is for the mania by the mania so adding a fan favorite byproduct of a funny detail in their game would be exactly something they would do for the fans

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Scrap-Nik=10 points
Haven Hive=5 points

Well, there you have it-our first two zones will be Scrap-Nik zone and Haven Hive zone! I'm really happy with these results-they're great concepts on their own and have the potential to be fleshed out a lot over the course of two acts. Speaking of winners...
Glubbfubb Glubbfubb 's Amy submission wins by default for being the only one submitted.

His submission gives Amy an Advance-style moveset, but locks certain powers behind elemental shields. Amy will also have unique sections of levels to accommodate her unorthodox playstyle of not being able to roll into a ball and having special hammer abilities. You may want to keep these things in mind when we submit future zones.

Classic Sonic games have never had much plot, but its always been enough to give the player a reason to push through and beat the game. That's basically what we're trying to craft here. In Mania 2, this will be the narrative that pushes the main mode of the game, Mania Mode. Just keep your story fairly simple and don't tie it into Adventure-onwards games.
ALSO, submitting a plot that includes Eggman as the main villain will not ban him from being submitted as playable in the future.
I
Scrap-Nik=10 points
Haven Hive=5 points

I'm very grateful for winning this zone, does anyone do music making, I think the flight of the bumblebee would be s good base for the main theme. What would you change in Haven Hive Zone @jankx_uwu

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So um what's next for this project, I am interested in seeing this not die
Well, after plots (which will continue for a few days because of the limited number of participants), we’ll do a job for the game’s main gimmick (something akin to the Partner System from SA3 or the time traveling from CD). After that, we decide whether or not to include Super Emeralds/Hyper Forms. Then, returning zones alongside misc info for Amy/Fang (including animations and super (possibly hyper) forms. After that, we’ll come up with a new mode before finally settling on a name, which at that point, everything is ready for E3.
Once that’s all done, I plan on taking a short hiatus from the project so that it can bounce back with full force when I return and hopefully get more than five active participants.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Well, after plots (which will continue for a few days because of the limited number of participants), we’ll do a job for the game’s main gimmick (something akin to the Partner System from SA3 or the time traveling from CD). After that, we decide whether or not to include Super Emeralds/Hyper Forms. Then, returning zones alongside misc info for Amy/Fang (including animations and super (possibly hyper) forms. After that, we’ll come up with a new mode before finally settling on a name, which at that point, everything is ready for E3.
Once that’s all done, I plan on taking a short hiatus from the project so that it can bounce back with full force when I return and hopefully get more than five active participants.
Hey I think we should vote, no one has posted for a week so I think we should have a vote to keep it alive and prevent it from this unique thread dying

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Aight, so, we got two plot submissions. One from Wawawa, one from Glubfubb. While there is also a limited amount this time as there was with the stages, we can only have one plot. Please vote for your top one-no self voting.
Janx' Fang moveset

Plot:
This plot is a little more complex than most Classic Sonic plots with a lot of twists, but still pretty simple and easy to follow.

Eggman is stealing ancient artefacts (colourful crystal forms of level elements like springs, spikes, and monitors) in persuit of immortality so Sonic and co. have to collect them before Eggman does, while Fang tries to stop them. Late into the game Eggman steals them from the heroes and uses to them to no avail - it's revealed the artefacts had no power and Fang was tricking Eggman into trying to find them so he could become a multi-billionare, revealing Fang as the real main villain. There's a typical "day is saved" animated ending where the other playable characters save your character of choice - but the exact context of that will depend on what the final level looks like.

After completing the hero story, Fang's story is unlocked (as would any other villain story - I do have an idea for an Eggman story but we'll get there when we get there if at all), which takes place concurrently and reveals Fang forged the artefacts - with his plot telling the tale of how he snuck them into the most dangerous possible places as an attempt to assassinate the heroes while they track down Eggman - culminating in a role-reversed version of the game's final fight - Fang's animated ending is comical and a little fanservice-y. It depicts Fang using his money from the forged masterpieces on holidays to zones from previous games that aren't playable in Mania 2... and almost instantly running out of dough, putting him back at square one.
Once every decade a silver comet called Meta Neo passes the earth bringing great prosperity to those who see it, it is said that getting the comet will give you unlimited steel so eggman steals the comet to rebuild the titanic monarch

Sonic and Co decide to head to Eggmans base but as soon as they go their the Comet acts weirdly, suddenly a pulse radiates from the comet and the Badnicks begin to rebel against Robotinik, then the comet takes the unconscious Ray (hence why he isnt playable) and kidnaps him so Eggman and Sonic decide to team up to stop this new threat (this is a story reason for scrapnik zone as their is a new threat of robot overpopulation)

Meanwhile Fang is trying to clear his name from being impersonated in the last game and decides to find this Meta Neo comet for himself and sell it to pay his debt, however the Heavy Magician (just her this time) also wants the comet for herself so she can make her own Magical Carnival Show forever, can these two enemies beat each other find out next time

MEANWHILE Amy hears from a fortune teller (referencing the instruction manual from CD) that to find love from a hero one must become a hero, so Amy goes on a quest as well to save the world just to impress Sonic. But also meanwhile the news of Eggmans defeat spurs his niece Omelette to try to conquer the world in his place and so becomes Amy's rival of sorts

Look I know Omlette isnt a official character but hear me out, Sonic mania is for the mania by the mania so adding a fan favorite byproduct of a funny detail in their game would be exactly something they would do for the fans
I'll vote for Wawawa's plot.

Speaking of votes, we've come to a standstill on the Fang moveset (tied 1-1). I'll open up a poll to see who the winner will be.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
JOB #7: Submit a gameplay gimmick
Okay, okay. I know a lot of Sonic fans tend to be afraid of this word-and they have more reason to be afraid of it than just about anyone. But like it or not, the Sonic games with gimmicks end up being the most memorable, and-in a few cases-really good. This gimmick will be along the lines of the Partner system from Sonic Advance 3, or the time travel mechanic from Sonic CD, or the Ring Tether mechanic from Knuckles' Chaotix. It can be as subtle or as vital to gameplay as you want. Since we don't have a set plot yet, keep this gimmick largely removed from the story.
Requirements:
-Must work with all characters (even unorthodox ones like Amy)
-That's it. I'm pretty lineant on this specific one because I want to allow for a lot of creativity.
-Oh, but it can't be a gimmick that's already been done by an official game, Classic or Modern.
Alternatively, you can also submit "No gimmick" or something along those lines, and give reasoning as to why.

Also, this is more of an informal thing, but is there a reason we shouldn't have Super Emeralds/Hyper Forms? I'm hesitant to ask because I've never met a single Sonic fan who doesn't want them in the next Mania game, and I see no real downside to including them. But since this is community driven I felt it couldn't hurt to ask.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Branching Story Paths
Okay all sonic games have branching paths in some form, they gives loads of variety to the stage and add replayability, some characters even have their own versions

So I decided to takes this gimmick to the logical extreme, in some (not all) stages their is an alternate goal pole (usually a different color), usually in the second and final act of a zone, by heading to these goal post the next level will change, for example you could find the other exit to Scrap Nike zone you could go to a different zone instead of the zone that usually goes first, this adds loads of replayability as it gives incentive to find all the pathways so you can access all stages as a playable characters, as a result each character will be on a level select web detailing which zone leads to who like a normal map

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
JOB #7: Submit a gameplay gimmick
Okay, okay. I know a lot of Sonic fans tend to be afraid of this word-and they have more reason to be afraid of it than just about anyone. But like it or not, the Sonic games with gimmicks end up being the most memorable, and-in a few cases-really good. This gimmick will be along the lines of the Partner system from Sonic Advance 3, or the time travel mechanic from Sonic CD, or the Ring Tether mechanic from Knuckles' Chaotix. It can be as subtle or as vital to gameplay as you want. Since we don't have a set plot yet, keep this gimmick largely removed from the story.
Requirements:
-Must work with all characters (even unorthodox ones like Amy)
-That's it. I'm pretty lineant on this specific one because I want to allow for a lot of creativity.
-Oh, but it can't be a gimmick that's already been done by an official game, Classic or Modern.
Alternatively, you can also submit "No gimmick" or something along those lines, and give reasoning as to why.

Also, this is more of an informal thing, but is there a reason we shouldn't have Super Emeralds/Hyper Forms? I'm hesitant to ask because I've never met a single Sonic fan who doesn't want them in the next Mania game, and I see no real downside to including them. But since this is community driven I felt it couldn't hurt to ask.
Personally? I don't think there should be a gimmick.

The thing is, gimmicks in Sonic games never seem to have been recieved particularly well. As much as I love random things like the Ring Tether mechanic, many say that it takes away from the experience significantly - and oftentimes, level design feels forced in order to implement a gimmick somehow. Coupling this with how we have many more playable characters, and well... it might be the safest way to play it.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Man, I really forgot about this thread until now.
Makes me realize that platformers aren't the best subject material for a SmashBoards Creates thread. However, the success of the Mario Smash thread shows that series-focused platfighters work great in this format. Would you guys like to contribute to a Sonic platfighter creation thread? My school year is wrapping up so it shouldn't be too hard to maintain daily, though it wouldn't start immediatly.
Also, it'd be a bit of a situation where Soul For A Soul is the thread updated every other day or every third day, and Sonic Smash is the daily one.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
However, the success of the Mario Smash thread shows that series-focused platfighters work great in this format. Would you guys like to contribute to a Sonic platfighter creation thread?
Whilst we have a regular Sega one, I don't see a problem in having a Sonic focused one, especially since it'll allow for some really interesting picks outside the main cast.

I say go for it.

Top Bottom