• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anonymous Deeds?

PD4FR

Smash Ace
Link to original post: [drupal=3798]Anonymous deeds?[/drupal]

I'll try to keep this short.

I was on my way home today, and I stopped at Wendy's to get some food: Nothing special - just some fries and a Frosty. I'm sure some of you do the same.

I ordered my meal and went up to the cashier, pulling out my money. The cashier smiled and pointed at the car in front of me, and said:

"Oh, you don't have to pay; she did that for you."

Astonished, I went to the next window, got my food, and ate it.

A simple story, yes, but it really touched my heart. The Spirit of Christmas has visited me, and I know how it feels. This woman, who will always stay anonymous to me, made my day even more cheerful than it already was. This has never happened to me before, and it probably won't again...and so I will remember this.

This blog goes out to that lady.

Now, I have a question for all of you reading this:

Has anyone ever gone out of their way, without ever asking for credit, and done something nice for you? I'm sure it has probably happened to many of you. What was your reaction, and how did it impact you?

Or maybe you do this for others?

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I've heard stories of people doing this, I always think it's neat... but it's always at a fast food restaurant too. They just want you to get fatter! >:o

That being said, I've gone out of my way a few times without asking or wanting credit. Just spontaneous acts of kindness because I feel humanity is better off that way. I'd tell a story of one such time but I don't feel like typing it up.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
next time I go through a drive through in the next few weeks I'm going to pay for the person behind me :)

SuSa

I reread the blog and it wasn't "have you done this for someone" it was "has someone done this for you".

My bad. :awesome:

So to actually answer the blog - yes. Some people do it without realizing it. But there was one time where it really touched me.

I was having a ****ty weekend.. well.. more like entire week beforehand.. but when I went to school on a Monday, I was down in the gutter. Lonely. Pissed off at the world, depressed, and moping around like I just didn't give a **** in the world anymore. Walked a straight line to my classes with no regard to the people around me.

A girl approached me after school and gave me a hug and told me the following; which I remember very vividly because this this one moment made my entire day better.
I saw you this morning walking to class and you looked upset. I looked for you at break and lunch but couldn't find you. I don't know what's wrong and I know you won't tell me, but I wanted you to know that someone cares.
After she said that she walked off. It was just a small thing, a simple anonymous hug. But it made my whole day better.

I never saw her again and I tried for a few days to find her but failed. Never learned her name. If there weren't 3,000 blonde haired girls of medium height I may have found her but it's hard to find someone you can't describe very well... =\

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
So... by "Spirit of Christmas," you mean "generosity," or "kindness," etc?

I don't mean for this to sound like some kind of anti-Christmas/religion post, I just think it's goofy how when someone does something kind for you, you immediately and exclusively think it's because of Christmas.

PD4FR

Smash Ace
next time I go through a drive through in the next few weeks I'm going to pay for the person behind me :)
I feel like doing that, too, now. ^_^

I reread the blog and it wasn't "have you done this for someone" it was "has someone done this for you".

My bad. :awesome:

So to actually answer the blog - yes. Some people do it without realizing it. But there was one time where it really touched me.

I was having a ****ty weekend.. well.. more like entire week beforehand.. but when I went to school on a Monday, I was down in the gutter. Lonely. Pissed off at the world, depressed, and moping around like I just didn't give a **** in the world anymore. Walked a straight line to my classes with no regard to the people around me.

A girl approached me after school and gave me a hug and told me the following; which I remember very vividly because this this one moment made my entire day better.

After she said that she walked off. It was just a small thing, a simple anonymous hug. But it made my whole day better.

I never saw her again and I tried for a few days to find her but failed. Never learned her name. If there weren't 3,000 blonde haired girls of medium height I may have found her but it's hard to find someone you can't describe very well... =\
That's really sweet of her!
Oh, and feel free to talk about yourself doing this or others doing it for you. Either one is OK. =]

So... by "Spirit of Christmas," you mean "generosity," or "kindness," etc?

I don't mean for this to sound like some kind of anti-Christmas/religion post, I just think it's goofy how when someone does something kind for you, you immediately and exclusively think it's because of Christmas.
Well, I don't see it as a big deal, really. If people are offended, I can change it, but I wasn't saying it had to be because of Christmas. It sure made the title sound better than "Generosity visited me at Wendy's", though. :p

Maybe I'll rename it sometime.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Well, I don't see it as a big deal, really. If people are offended, I can change it, but I wasn't saying it had to be because of Christmas. It sure made the title sound better than "Generosity visited me at Wendy's", though. :p

Maybe I'll rename it sometime.
No, it's fine, I'm really just making more of an observation.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Anonymous deeds, and since it was a fast food restaurant, they're done dirt cheap.

Awesome.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I saw that the title had been changed and I was like, "What anti-christian douche bag complained this time?" The I read what Melo said and I was like, "Ah, not so douche baggy after all."
The title is fine either way.

One time I was at the flea market and these ladies bought me a hot dog and soda for free.
I was really thirsty and hungry. They made that afternoon bearable.

One time I was going door to door selling easter eggs to pay for a trip to new York to repair peoples homes. That day was very cold and the night was even colder. It was so cold that my pens kept on freezing. Each time a pen would freeze someone would give me a new one. I also got candy, hot chocolate, cookies and lots of buys. I sold over 200 eggs!

I don't like to say of things that I've done. Mainly because I like things to go unsaid. I prefer to be considered an *** hole. lol
However, I will say this (it's not anonymous... but it is the same concept and just goes to show how one kind deed can completely change someone's day)....
About 3 weeks ago my best bud was about to ship out to boot. So as a surprise I bought him a premium 10$ cigar... and one for myself. We went outside, sat in a hot tub and discussed our friendship and what we are going to do with our future. The amazing thing is that he went from all grumpy and rude... to.... I guess the best way to describe it is soft... on the inside.
We decided to buy a box of those cigars. He left almost 2 weeks ago. I sent in the order last week, they arrived on Monday.
The plan is that the box will stay closed for probably 22ish+ years (letting them age). When one of our children turns 18 we plan on getting together again with the box of cigars and discussing their future smoking the cigars, just like what we done in that hot tub.

ps It is a box of 28... do the math... my wallet is hurting.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
There's a lady that's famous at a mcdonalds in my town for doing that from time to time :o

Something like that happened to me today actually...cept it wasnt anonymous...but still...it was nice
I was frantically searching my school for rubber cement (since apparently the fire marshal won't let teachers have rubber cement anymore) for an art contest piece in which i decided to tape paper cranes to a canvas....which failed after some freshman stacked their art on top of it T__T...so yeah...rubber cement would be the next best idea...
I went from the art wing to the theology department to our campus ministry area with no luck. And, I didn't bring money with me to buy some from the bookstore because i packed my lunch today. I was starting to stress out when one of the theology teachers i had talked to came up to me in the hall and said 'C'mon. We're buying you rubber cement.' After refusing, she looked at me and sternly said 'It's for the sake of art!' So, i was basically dragged down to the school book store where the teacher bought me rubber cement. When i told her I'd pay her back, she told me 'Merry Christmas!' and walked away. I kinda sat there in awe of what happened.

Im thinking of making her a card and giving her a chocolate bar for christmas because of what she did. She honestly saved my chances of entering an important art contest.

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
I used to do it whenever I crossed a bridge.... but now I have fast track...... so does everyone else.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
People who do stuff for me are always looking for credit or some sort of debt, which is why I ask nobody to do anything for me.

As for me, I guess I could say I've done stuff for people (sometimes without them knowing), without any sense of entitlement etc, because honestly nobody should ever owe anybody anything for favours, I grant favours because I choose to, and I don't expect any sort of repayment for one.

It's nice to get repayment, but that's not the point.

Also true story, I'm like usually the only person on a London Underground train (our subway system), to give up my seat to pregnant or disabled people.

Which just goes to show people talk a lot of talk about decency, but in the end we all know they're full of ****.

Wow so how did I go from goodwill to "people are all full of ****"?

Oh yeah it's because I'm me lol.

PD4FR

Smash Ace
These posts are cheering me up. ^_^ It's nice to see how many people are out there that do this sort of thing.

That's a good point, Teran. It's a shame, really, to hear so many people wouldn't do what you did in that situation. :urg:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Link to original post: [drupal=3798]Anonymous deeds?[/drupal]

I'll try to keep this short.

I was on my way home today, and I stopped at Wendy's to get some food: Nothing special - just some fries and a Frosty. I'm sure some of you do the same.

I ordered my meal and went up to the cashier, pulling out my money. The cashier smiled and pointed at the car in front of me, and said:

"Oh, you don't have to pay; she did that for you."

Astonished, I went to the next window, got my food, and ate it.

A simple story, yes, but it really touched my heart. The Spirit of Christmas has visited me, and I know how it feels. This woman, who will always stay anonymous to me, made my day even more cheerful than it already was. This has never happened to me before, and it probably won't again...and so I will remember this.

This blog goes out to that lady.

Now, I have a question for all of you reading this:

Has anyone ever gone out of their way, without ever asking for credit, and done something nice for you? I'm sure it has probably happened to many of you. What was your reaction, and how did it impact you?

Or maybe you do this for others?
I've done this exact thing a few times actually lol. Never happened to me though.

Sort of a funny story, I was in a gas station on the way to a tournament with my girlfriend and some friends and was checking out buying some snacks and coffee etc etc. The woman in front of me turned around and looked at me and said "Wow, you are a really good looking 21 year old!!!! You look like you're 18!!!" I was kind of taken aback but I said "Thank you very much!" I paused for a second and asked "How did you know I was 21 though?". She had an upset look on her face and stormed out of the store without saying anything. We were all confused lol and not really sure what to make of it.

I really want to know how she knew I was 21 >_<.

Fried Ice Cream

Smash Ace
I don't really enjoy doing anonymous deeds for people I don't know. It's pretty cool when it's for my friends, but I never feel the need to "give" to people I don't know. I'd much rather give to the people I know and enjoy their company. I'd know what they appreciate and if they will appreciate what I did.

Because that's why I do nice things. I enjoy beings appreciated, and the person who gets something nice likes to get it.

And no one got any worse because of me acting on a selfish deed of wanting appreciation (every now an then) :).

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Sort of a funny story, I was in a gas station on the way to a tournament with my girlfriend and some friends and was checking out buying some snacks and coffee etc etc. The woman in front of me turned around and looked at me and said "Wow, you are a really good looking 21 year old!!!! You look like you're 18!!!" I was kind of taken aback but I said "Thank you very much!" I paused for a second and asked "How did you know I was 21 though?". She had an upset look on her face and stormed out of the store without saying anything. We were all confused lol and not really sure what to make of it.

Wat

That's so strange lol
I would've been a bit creeped out by that.

PD4FR

Smash Ace

I'd stay away from that gas station if I were you. :awesome:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I do things like this from time to time and I usually just go about it just for the heck of it. For example, when my neighbors leave their trash bags outside their apartments, I'll take them to the dumpster and throw them away or when people don't have enough for a meal at my work (I work at a college cafeteria), I'll pay for the rest. I usally do things like this because I'm there and I'm fully capable of doing it. I know it's against the norm but it still throws me off when some people think you're the nicest person in the world if you open a door for them or help a stranger reach something off a tall shelf (I'm 6,6 so I do this a lot). I was there and it wasn't an inconveinence in the least so why not?

SuSa

I paid for someone at Panda Express today. It was this old lady who was out having lunch with her friend.

The registrar ****ed up and didn't charge one of her things - and it's like $3 a transaction or something so the old lady was about to not get her food and just not eat.

My stupid and poor *** decided to step up and pay for the rest of her food. Gave up a smash tournament to let some old lady enjoy lunch with her friend.

What I don't understand is how dumbfounded people are when someone does a small act of kindness for them. She didn't even know what to say really she just gave me this weird look like "I can't believe this kids paying for my lunch..." before saying thank you. (She almost didn't, I think it was the shock factor.)

Because I really don't look like the person to do anything for anyone. :awesome:

Top Bottom