• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Announcing Smashboards Rankings

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
When do brackets get updated so players get ranked?

I see Melee now has ranked players, what about the others? Is it every friday like S4U had?

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Excellent. I remember seeing this on Smash4U hoping it would garner interest (it didn't). Hopefully on smashboards it will actually catch on.

Thanks to everyone involved in bringing this to smashboards and shoutouts to Jaxel for the system.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Just upgraded Rankings to the latest version, let me know if you see anything wonky

thespymachine

Smash Ace
[double post, 3 hours later]

Posted this on MIOM but figured I'd post it here too:

A couple of things that I would like to mention:

1) I'm glad we're using ATP style rankings - they're more accurate for elimination brackets.
I did the Vegas Melee rankings when I lived there, using ELO, and recently I've been messing with ELO again (adding newer tournaments) and it seems that Double-Elimination brackets and ELO don't mix - at least if you're trying to rate players (right) below the s-tier players. The best results come from ELO when you have a RR or swiss tournament (also, I've seen that players who make it out a RR but then lose their two games in the DE they were seeded into, end up losing more points than the players then who didn't make it out of the pool).

2) How are the point values for tournaments determined, exactly? I haven't looked into it very well, so I'm sorry if this is easily answered. Figured this out.

Locals (<50 players) = 50 pts
Regionals (51-120 players) = 200 pts
Nationals (121-200 players) = 400 pts
Internationals? (200+ players?) = 600pts?

1st place = 100% of tournament pts
2nd = 75
3rd = 65
4th = 50
5th = 40
7th = 35
9th = 25
13th = 22.5
etc...

But how is the final ranking score determined?

3) What will be our Grand Slams?
With an official ratings system in effect for our scene, we can have an official Tournament season WITH GRAND SLAMS!
Think about it, we establish 4 major (inter)national tournaments [I'm thinking WC-USA (Genesis/KoC), EC-USA(Apex), Europe(BEAST), and maybe Japan (especially for the Brawl community)]. The GS events would set the maximum limit on tournament score and we could really have our 'playoffs' and 'offseason'.

Last edited:

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Smashboards, take all my likes.

Must get a car and apartment faster... Cali tourneys, I must scrape my rust off and visit you all...

CTL17

Smash Lord
I'm trying to upload .tio files from old TIO, and it keeps giving me "Unable to import this TioPro bracket as the event is still in progress." even though I unchecked all of those boxes.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Make sure every player has all their results, if that doesn't work, PM me the file and I'll take a look

Jaxel

Behind the Curtain...
Premium
I'm trying to upload .tio files from old TIO, and it keeps giving me "Unable to import this TioPro bracket as the event is still in progress." even though I unchecked all of those boxes.
The event has to be complete... a winner has to be selected.

Attach the TIO file and I will take a look at it.

CTL17

Smash Lord
The event has to be complete... a winner has to be selected.

Attach the TIO file and I will take a look at it.
That was it. The winner wasn't selected. Chu and Chillin being super splitastic, I never clicked on the final winner.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
You can't split ranking points? Aww yeah! Step in the right direction!

thespymachine

Smash Ace
But for seriously though, we should have a Grand Slam season like tennis does.
Or something.

We already have Apex, BEAST 4, and MLG Anaheim, then we'll have EVO/Genesis 3, TBH4, Pound 6 (?). That's more than enough big tournaments to establish a circuit.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Quick question, will points depreciate over time? As in, after a certain amount of time per person, their points get reduced by a percentage to better and more accurately portray the current metagame and its best players?

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Your points from the last X events in the last Y months are counted. We haven't finalized what those two numbers will be and are currently at 20 and 12 respectively

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
Hmm, this might tempt the collector in me to get out more... once I get a job anyway, haha. I'm a sucker for accurate documentation.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I think it could be useful to have some sort of standardized naming convention. There's a lot of undescriptive bracket names out there.

LLDL

Smash Hero
I think it could be useful to have some sort of standardized naming convention. There's a lot of undescriptive bracket names out there.
It's because the bracket get's the name of the individual events from the tio file. Usually when you start your tio file, if it is only melee at the tournament that day, you just name the events Singles & Doubles. Or even if there are multiple games there, it would be Melee Singles and Melee Doubles. No need to put: No Johns Biweekly 1/28/14 Melee Singles, because it'd be redundant.

I'm trying to get them have the system snag the name from the actual title of the whole event, instead of just the individual event names.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
After manually linking some players, some appear with question marks and others appear without question marks. Is there some sort of verify process that a user sees when I try to manually link their placing? If so, where do they go to verify their identity? Clearly some people have done it already, I just don't know how/where since I'm a rankings mod.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
just you wait guys! when the new game comes out I will beat the crap out of all you people with megaman! heck I believe I can even take on Mew2king if I tried hard enough. So watch your backs guys because a new star has arrived!

Top Bottom