• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Animal Crossing City Folk

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I just don't want another port. Please tell me that where looking at upgrade to the system or at least a more orignal aread. Is it cell shaded? Do we at least get a improved town? I don't think I can handle another port of the same old game. :(

Amide

Smash Lord
I just don't want another port. Please tell me that where looking at upgrade to the system or at least a more orignal aread. Is it cell shaded? Do we at least get a improved town? I don't think I can handle another port of the same old game. :(
That's what is making me nervous. I really couldn't give a crap about the new Lyle and "La Di Day" and all that useless stuff if they don't change a thing. I was hoping for a job in the wii version (not Tom Nook) but how likely would that be? There were no actual improvements besides Wi-Fi from the first two AC games.

Ørion

Smash Ace
The whole town thing is a huge change which will change a lot of the game (assuming it's as cool as it looked from the quick preview). But.........ya it will probably be a port of the original and WW lol (not that I think that is a bad thing :p)

XACE-K

Smash Master
The only improvement I've seen for towns is that they have hills and tiny cliffs.

Puddin

Smash Lord
The only improvement I've seen for towns is that they have hills and tiny cliffs.
Your town is generated randomly though....my town in the GC version is nothing but hills and cliffs, making it a maze of ridges to walk through.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I've only played Wild World, I've heard it's very similar to the GC version, is this true?
It's a very similar concept. But most of the normal stuff is not similar.

It'd better be.

The main thing I'm most glad about is THE RETURN OF REAL HOLIDAYS.
I agree.

What bums me out is you still have to water flowers. Lame sauce. And it looks like most of the game is based off WW. I suppose the city thing is kinda cool. And the return of hills is nice.
Yeah, that's a huge gripe. The watering can makes a return. They need to make it so you can throw it at people so it at least has SOME use.

Some things about the gamel (These are assumptions from the current two trailers available):

Meh things (for some at least)

There are no acres.

You must water plants.

You do have an option to make yourself your own mii.
I agree, these are all meh.

Some positives:

ITS A NEW ANIMAL CROSSING!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed.

There is an entirely new area with a city along with what you have.
I think this is meh. It, at least to me, seems to kill the concept of the game.

Wiispeak (AKA voice chat :))

Most likely, you can expand your house more and there will be more furniture, clothes, fish, bugs etc.
I agree, these are good.

There is an auction house to connect with other players.
I'm not entirely sure, but I imagine that it'll be, since it is an auction house, prices chosen by the people selling. And I can just imagine what that'll be like, since there's a bunch of casuals and 10 year-olds running around now. If you've played Pokemon Diamond/Pearl and seen the GTS, consider that. Then tell me this will work out well.

You can send letters with pictures to other people in other towns, wii message boards, computers, and cell phones.

The return of many basic principles of animal crossing.

Holidays such as Halloween, New Years, and Easter (i think) have returned!
All great. And yeah, Halloween is returning and Easter is coming in (it's new) as "Bunny Day". Obviously because it's a religious holiday and they can't make it actually "Easter", just as they had to call it Toy Day for Christmas. Plus, the actual celebration of Easter in a video game would have to focus on the rabbits anyways, and...that really doesn't relate to Easter at all in the first place, so it makes sense. I'm PSYCHED for the holidays. I just hope and pray that Toy Day makes a return, I loved that holiday.
One interesting thing about Halloween, though; did you notice that the main character was wearing a pumpkin on his/her head. Would this be a special occasion only, or could there be other things to wear on your head (excluding Miis, obviously).

There appears to be an actual HRA building where maybe you can get advice on your home?
I got the impression it was more of a "see other people's rooms". Which could theoretically be considered getting advice. Pro? I can't say yet. It looks relatively useless, to me, but it could look different once released.

Lots of personalization is still included.

Other people can come to your house from anywhere for simultaneous play.
Yeah, these are great.

How exactly is that a bad thing?
A lot of annoying 10-year-olds will and when they see me in their town with a regular Animal Crosser they'll start to gripe and moan about how much of a noob I am. Then I'll buy that item they wanted from nooks and then sell it to them for 10 times the price.
I could NOT have said it ANY BETTER. Miis fail anyways. Even if it's an option, it's still ruining Animal Crossing. How is it that Nintendo doesn't realize that the Animal Crosser is as much of a character as Link or Mario? Or maybe they just don't care?

Overall, I'm disappointed with AC:CF from the info given at E3...there are definitely some good points, but the Mii heads and city are big issues for me. The discussion of living in a city was started earlier in the thread, and I think the complaints about living there stand for having one at all. It still changes the whole dynamic. And there's a Gracie shop. This could be paranoia, but could this mean that those random events like Wendell, Sahara, and Crazy Redd will simply become spots in the city? While I think the random system in WW didn't work out well, because Crazy Redd and the new characters are the only ones that seemed to occur, they could've reverted to the way it worked in GC, which was very nice. Also, these other shops...what about Tom Nook? While I joked about how he had a monopoly over the whole town before, that was how Animal Crossing WAS. Now he'll become practically obsolete, especially if you have Wi-Fi. Voice Chat is exciting, though.

I'll definitely buy the game, but I'm a little upset by some announcements.

BentoBox

Smash Master
That's like saying that voice chat fails because 10 year old kids will take this opportunity to fill your ears with profanity. Why would you care about what they think of your character? Plus that is all speculation, and it seems like you are just trying way too **** hard to find reasons to hate on a simple feature.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
This is all I really wanted. I don't mind the city, and I actually think it's pretty neat. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Plus, all I really cared about was voice chat and online play. So basically, i'm pretty happy ^^;;

Puddin

Smash Lord
They probably added the Mii face for a few key reasons,

1. It's just plain and simple, Miis have been put into almost every Wii title in existence.

2. They most likely added them to appeal to the casuals who enjoy seeing their virtual version of themselves boxing, golfing, and playing baseball.

3. More casual gamer ****. .

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm not disappointed with a single new feature in AC:CF (Animal Crossing: Captain Falcon). The city is a great idea in my opinion - offering a great, new environment to explore, and perhaps even stay in (according to the official Nintendo E3 site, residents in your town will become saddened if you do not return after a long period of time, so perhaps you can actually stay in a hotel or house in the city). Aside from that, why be so excited about events that happen every now and then? Do you really see yourself waiting for months for ONE event to happen? The reason as to why Gracie, and perhaps her cohorts have moved into the City is so that you can visit them whenever you want.

The devs have stuffed this game with a lot more than ever before and I can't wait for it. The experience will be endless, as the world will change a lot over time, but keep in mind, that they've obviously designed it so that you can play the game however you want. If you really want to play it just like the original game, then don't go to the city, and buy things only at Nook's shop.

It's pretty **** selfish to gripe about all of these new [optional] features when the game is obviously a choose-your-own-path type of game. As much as I love the Animal Crosser character, I see myself playing as my own Mii so that I may feel more immersed in the game. Miis have been implemented for the sake of personalization for any and all players. If I could play as a Mii in a Zelda game, would I? Hell no. I hate playing as Miis in Mario Kart Wii, and any other game where they're optional. They, however, fit very well in this game. While this is a "core" title, it is a game open to both casual and hardcore gamers, as you can play it however you like. This game looks incredible and I am highly anticipating it.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Im really happy about this game, the new features make me really happy. I dont think I have heard anything bad so far and im sure( for animal crossing) they wouldn't take awat, only add. What would they get from taking away? They know people enjoy the random events or weekly events (like saraha).

Even if nintendo is greedy, im pretty sure by taking away stuff like that nintendo would only lose money (and they wouldn't want that). This is on of those few games were nintendo has achance to please both casuals and core gamers, they wouldn't mess it up...

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I'm not disappointed with a single new feature in AC:CF (Animal Crossing: Captain Falcon). The city is a great idea in my opinion - offering a great, new environment to explore, and perhaps even stay in (according to the official Nintendo E3 site, residents in your town will become saddened if you do not return after a long period of time, so perhaps you can actually stay in a hotel or house in the city). Aside from that, why be so excited about events that happen every now and then? Do you really see yourself waiting for months for ONE event to happen? The reason as to why Gracie, and perhaps her cohorts have moved into the City is so that you can visit them whenever you want.

The devs have stuffed this game with a lot more than ever before and I can't wait for it. The experience will be endless, as the world will change a lot over time, but keep in mind, that they've obviously designed it so that you can play the game however you want. If you really want to play it just like the original game, then don't go to the city, and buy things only at Nook's shop.

It's pretty **** selfish to gripe about all of these new [optional] features when the game is obviously a choose-your-own-path type of game. As much as I love the Animal Crosser character, I see myself playing as my own Mii so that I may feel more immersed in the game. Miis have been implemented for the sake of personalization for any and all players. If I could play as a Mii in a Zelda game, would I? Hell no. I hate playing as Miis in Mario Kart Wii, and any other game where they're optional. They, however, fit very well in this game. While this is a "core" title, it is a game open to both casual and hardcore gamers, as you can play it however you like. This game looks incredible and I am highly anticipating it.
I agree with most of what you said, but I still think that the Animal Crosser should be more respected by Nintendo. Adding in Mii's would be like saying 'oh, you can save princess peach now'.

I get where you're coming from, but I don't agree.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I agree with most of what you said, but I still think that the Animal Crosser should be more respected by Nintendo. Adding in Mii's would be like saying 'oh, you can save princess peach now'.

There's no objective to Animal Crossing though. Changing into your Mii is only optional. I don't like it so I won't use it, but my younger brother will probably love to use his Mii and now he has the option to.

Spire

III
BRoomer

The Miis are great for identification purposes when playing online (if you're amongst numerous people) as everyone would look different. The Animal Crossers would all look relatively similar, but nevertheless, despite my previous statement about playing with a "Miikover", I see myself as at least trying it out, but probably playing with the Animal Crosser most of the time. If a feature is included, why not try it out?

I'm looking forward to fishing. That is the absolute best part about Animal Crossing.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
That's like saying that voice chat fails because 10 year old kids will take this opportunity to fill your ears with profanity. Why would you care about what they think of your character? Plus that is all speculation, and it seems like you are just trying way too **** hard to find reasons to hate on a simple feature.
Well, I have a gripe with voice chat for that reason. Ever played Halo on XBox Live? I haven't, but I've heard stories of racist comments. Oh, and someone apparently had a Canadian accent on Xbox Live when someone I know was playing, and they got crap for it.
In any case, it's friend codes, so I suppose it's not a valid gripe.

3. More casual gamer ****. .
And that is EXACTLY why I'm upset with it.

I don't want it to happen for months--but I do want it to happen randomly. Honestly, if everything's available at once, it takes away from replay value. Think about Pokemon. Everyone loved the Day/Night cycle, and the calendar-related events. They were upset when it got taken away, were they not? I know I was. And then it was re-inserted. It's the same type of thing. You can't catch any Pokemon at any time. If so, it's a little easier, but it was nicer when there were random events. I feel the same way here.

But I don't believe that it'll be a "choose how you want to play" type thing. I already, most likely, won't be able to have Gracie unless I go into the city. What else will be city-only? Why would they implement a feature which seems so well-thought-out and say you don't have to go there? The title even advertises it: City Folk. If it's a small, optional feature, I'd be shocked.

If you wouldn't play with a Mii in any other franchise game, what changes with Animal Crossing? Because it's a customizable character, everyone thinks "Oh, it's a throwaway character." But I don't see how anyone can think that. There can be multiple, yet different-looking, Marios, Links, Samuses, etc. in Smash Bros, for example. Does that mean there should be an option to play as a Mii for one of them? I think it's the same thing. And Miis look nothing like the actual person anyways, no matter how hard you try, so I wouldn't feel immersed at all. Plus, probably one of the biggest reasons to play video games for me, which I only realized after trying to analyze it, was to try and...get away from real life. I don't want to feel like I'm in the game. I want to be part of the game, and have me not exist for a while. Yeah, I'm weird.

Im really happy about this game, the new features make me really happy. I dont think I have heard anything bad so far and im sure( for animal crossing) they wouldn't take awat, only add. What would they get from taking away? They know people enjoy the random events or weekly events (like saraha).

Even if nintendo is greedy, im pretty sure by taking away stuff like that nintendo would only lose money (and they wouldn't want that). This is on of those few games were nintendo has achance to please both casuals and core gamers, they wouldn't mess it up...
They removed real holidays in AC:WW. They removed the Day/Night system in the third generation of Pokemon. They removed interaction (and I mean REAL interaction, not just an occasional fishing contest) with Animals in AC:WW. They removed Mewtwo, Roy, Pichu, Dr. Mario, and Young Link in Brawl. They removed...I could go on, but I won't. They've done it before. It wouldn't be ethical, but then again, neither is abandoning and insulting those who've followed them for generations of consoles now, and they've done that.

And yes, I am a pessimist.

Puddin

Smash Lord
New info from the Nintendo Roundtable, you will be able to move your character and items from Animal Crossing Wild World onto AC:CF

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
New info from the Nintendo Roundtable, you will be able to move your character and items from Animal Crossing Wild World onto AC:CF
Really? Cool. I got a "? Block" and, eh...some other Nintendo item on Wild World (I was in Washington and visited Nintendo's HQ, and they had a DS Download there), so it'd be great if I could move them over. I don't think I'll move my character over, as uh...well, I think I named it Shadow (I haven't touched it in...forever), and I don't really like anything about him. At the time, I still liked Shadow. Now, I like him from SA2, but any further and I hate him.

In any case, thanks for the info. That's great news.

But I just thought of something that Nintendo really needs to tell us; separate homes or like Wild World again? Please not like Wild World...

Then again, there may be hope; remember the part where they were talking about going to bed, and they showed the Animal Crosser getting in and out of bed? Well, there was only one. That doesn't mean that more can't appear, but there wasn't a whole lot of room, either.

Yeah, here's a picture:

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
It looks about the size as the GCN version, so hopefully we get our own houses this time.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
It looks about the size as the GCN version, so hopefully we get our own houses this time.
Yeah, hopefully.

Also, did anyone notice this? :

Possible Basement return? I hope so, I don't know why the removed it in the first place. Then again, that's assuming that that's the first floor. It could be the second floor, in which case, my theory doesn't work. But assuming that the house they showed earlier is the house that they're in there, I don't think that it's big enough for that. Also, it looks like the exit for the house is there...unless, there's a balcony? That'd be cool.

Either way, I'd be happy, actually.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
If I remember correctly from the creator interview IGN had earlier today, there will be separate houses in different locations in the town. Also, the WW/CF traveling thing was revealed in this interview as well.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Yeah, hopefully.

Also, did anyone notice this? :

Possible Basement return? I hope so, I don't know why the removed it in the first place. Then again, that's assuming that that's the first floor. It could be the second floor, in which case, my theory doesn't work. But assuming that the house they showed earlier is the house that they're in there, I don't think that it's big enough for that. Also, it looks like the exit for the house is there...unless, there's a balcony? That'd be cool.

Either way, I'd be happy, actually.
That's definitely the first floor. Look to the left of the entrance - stairs are leading upwards. Unless you can get a third floor, that's definitely the first floor.

The basement was the absolute best room in my house in AC. I had everything imaginable in there. Total junkyard.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
That's definitely the first floor. Look to the left of the entrance - stairs are leading upwards. Unless you can get a third floor, that's definitely the first floor.

The basement was the absolute best room in my house in AC. I had everything imaginable in there. Total junkyard.
The HRA needs to give points for having large amounts of rare stuff and good combinations of stuff.

I'm sick of having a full T-Rex skeleton in my house and getting points taken off for it.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
From Ninty's Dev roundtable. http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/891/891308p1.html

Q: In Animal Crossing Wild Word, if one person disconnected from the online experience, everybody else would suffer. Will the same be true of City Folk

A: Yeah. Same issues, he says.

Q: Will City Folk interact at all with a Nintendo Animal Crossing?

A: You can move your character from the DS version to the Wii game through a move function. All the items you gathered in the DS build will be able to come with you. Also, if you don't have Wi-Fi at your home, you can take City Folk's character data onto your DS, go to your friend's home and transfer it to their Wii. In Japan, you can take your DS to a hotspot to download Wi-Fi downloads.

Q: Can you clarify how downloads via WiiConnect24 will work? Will the data already be stored in-game and it'll just unlock or will it be brand new?

A: Brand new.

Q: In the GCN title, you could play NES games. What about the Wii version?

A: Unfortunately, no. Anything you have on the VC will have to be played on the VC. Want to keep them separate.

: Q: Will the game use the Wii Weather Channel for real-time weather data?

A: Thought about doing that, but didn't want to limit the experience to real seasons. If it's always raining in Seattle, it would always be raining in Animal Crossing. (Not sure why they couldn't just add an option to turn it on or off for gamers who would want it.)

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Good news, the weather channel would have been a cool addition but it's not like I can't do without it. To bad no VC games but that again dosen't really bother me.

Amide

Smash Lord
Go here kids. It may not look like much, but I think it sort of confirms Jingle and the Skunk dude for AC:CF. I mean, they ARE official screenshots.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Jingle coming back is completely win. Seriously, AC:WW was really lacking without the holidays. This will make AC:CF so much fun again! ^_^

And DLC being confirmed is also great!

Puddin

Smash Lord
I don't know if anybody here has heard about it but apparently there is a theater in AC:CF that you can go watch shows at.

* Seasons and Seasonal Events will remain, including Halloween, Jingle the Reindeer at Christmas time, and a "special visitor" in spring who brings eggs. Spoiler Alert: We think it's the Easter Bunny.

* New content (wallpaper, furniture, items etc.) will be available through WiiConnect 24.

* A theater where you "can watch comedy shows."

* The front, back and sleeves of shirts can be customized.

* Remember that annoying thing in Gamecube where your whole city had to be reset if one player dropped from multiplayer? That has not been fixed.

^ that sucks.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Oh. Do you guys know of a job system? Like, you can continue working for Nook even after you've payed off your loan, and you can get promoted so that you get a higher pay?

I mean, selling seashells for cash is good and all, but being able to be Nook's shop keeper would be cool as well.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Jingle confirmed = epic win!
Maybe with the Wii DLC we can get famous themes from other Nintendo games as our Jingle? Like, instead of having to spend an hour recreating Mario Brothers, we can just download it?

Top Bottom