• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Andross for Brawl! Starfox needs a cool enemy

Super_Cool

Smash Journeyman
Andross never had a body in the Star Fox games. Why the hell would they give him one for a fighting game? At least Captain Falcon and Fox had bodies before coming in SSB.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Ah no **** man, cmon donkey heee... hes talkin about every guy that doesnt like the idea of andross for, personally i think doktursea has gone to the "andross for brawl" side...

DokturSea

Smash Lord
I honestly don't give a crap if Andross gets in or not. If he got in, cool, whatever. If not, oh well. Oh look! Something shiney! And I'll miraculously get on with my life.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Lol I think we hurt his feeling hahaha XD, well i said it to Bowserlick before, personally i dont think its good of an idea, but his moveset kinda u know think otherwise, I still dont want him in brawl, but ill sto flaming him, besides Wolf pwns all...

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
They didn't give Pit a new body, they upgraded an old one to appeal to modern audience. He may look bad *** and more bishounen now, but he still wears the toga and has the wings, and you can at still tell it's Pit if you're familiar with the Kid Icarus games. But Andross has no base except for his head and hands, so they have no idea what they are making. Is Andross fat, thin, muscular, puny, tall, short, does he always wear a labcoat or does a tuxedo suit him better, all this they have to decide before they can even think about creating a moveset. And even if they do create a character model but then can't create a decent moveset for him, they have to start all over. The fact remains that Andross has no body, and without one, they have no moves to draw from. The thing is, all characters that have so far appeared in SSB have had a design to base a model on, so giving them a body is not so hard. However, there is no such design for Andross, which complicates things.

And just because Wolf is Fox like doesn't mean he won't add to the game as much as Andross. They can easily give Wolf a very unique moveset, and they could decide to give Andross a DK like body and make him a clone. And either way, Wolf is still most popular Starfox villain to be added in Brawl, which'll be the clincher if Sakurai decides to add a starfox villain.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Pit was from an 8 bit game. The developers basically had to create a new body. Sure they still kept his wings and arrow, but even his face looks different. Andross will have the same face but with a body. There are comics with pictures of his body. He has a gut, other then that its the normal arms and legs. They could use their imagination, dress him up with a gadget belt, goggles, and a nice leather shirt with a cape.

Basically it is feasible that Andross could get in the game.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
There was still art of Pit, and all they've really done is update him. And are the comic books cannon, because if they aren't then they won't really help. Granted it is possible to make a body for Andross, it's just wether it would be worth spending that much more time making a character which be better spent.

If it had been done before there wouldn't be a problem, but because this idea of giving a previously torso-less character a body and making him a fighter in Smash means it could be quite risky. Yes, it is technically feasable for Andross to be in, it's just that there are more feasable characters and Sakurai has to choose which he thinks would be the better addition: taking a character with an existing model who is popular and who many people would possibly enjoy using, or creating a character model for a character that technically doesn't have one and little basis to go on who isn't the most popular or requested character of his franchise( or even his occupation) who in the end may or may not be successful. There is a huge risk with Andross, and while yes there is a chance it could pay off immensely, it could also be disasterous, both sides Sakurai would have to weigh out.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Doesn't matter. A body can be created by a design team which also creates stages and movesets and adventure modes and many other options. You guys think very little of the team's ability.

Pit was totally revamped and many other characters got design upgrades which still require planning.

The body argument is a moot point.

I doubt the inclusion of Andross would hurt sells. If anything another similar Fox character would make the game staler then it has to be.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
I'm not saying it would harm sales, but it could get the same treatment as Pichu. Sure he has his fans, but almost everyone can't wait to see the back end of the mouse. And again, just because Wolf is Fox like doesn't mean he'll work exactly like him. If Sakurai could give origional moves to Fox, he can do so with Wolf. And it still doesn't change the fact that people would rather see Wolf than Andross' pre-whatever experiment gone horribly wrong body debut.

And once again, Pit at least had a basis for a new model. Imagination often requires inspiration, which Andross doesn't inspire that much of. It's not that I don't trust the team and their abilty (far from it, I think they've done a fantastic job so far), I just think their time could be better spent.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Pichu got a bad rap because he was a clone, a weak clone. Andross would not be. Hey, if he was top tier he would suddenly become a favorite character just like Shiek (who had a minor role in video games) and Marth (who many US people did not know about).

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Sheik was actually quite popular before Melee (not as popular, but still had a fanbase) and Marth was the most requested FE character in Japan. All I was saying is if they did mess up Andross, he'd be in a similair situation to Pichu, where he ends up being at the butt of all jokes Brawl related. And as for Andross becoming liked for being top tier, the same could be said for Wolf or any character.

I'm still not feeling fantastic about the idea, as I don't think he can really add anything to the game that other characters can't. If he was in, I'd deal with it, but I really don't reckon his chances are high (if he's even been considered, which as far as we know he hasn't seeing as Sakurai didn't reply to a post including him, if there was a decent one)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If any character was messed up, they would be the butt of jokes. Like Bowser and Mewtwo. Still they are fun to play. Taking risks is what makes games sucessful. That is why Melee was such a compelling sequel, because new things were tried. The original was a sucess because it departed from conventional fighting games. Risks have to be taken. A game is worse off when no risk is taken.

People are always going to have characters in the game that they don't like. I hated Ness in the first, although he was a good fighter. In the second I didn't really care for Ness or Pichu.

You are right that his chances are very low. My argument was just that he is not out of the question and that he could be more flavorful (I personally think much more then Wolf can).

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
The only two people who have shown on ounce of maturity in this thread are Bowserlick and HiddenTiger.
Aw, gee... You're just saying that =P But thank you. I try.

Also:
If it had been done before there wouldn't be a problem, but because this idea of giving a previously torso-less character a body and making him a fighter in Smash means it could be quite risky. Yes, it is technically feasable for Andross to be in, it's just that there are more feasable characters and Sakurai has to choose which he thinks would be the better addition: taking a character with an existing model who is popular and who many people would possibly enjoy using, or creating a character model for a character that technically doesn't have one and little basis to go on who isn't the most popular or requested character of his franchise( or even his occupation) who in the end may or may not be successful. There is a huge risk with Andross, and while yes there is a chance it could pay off immensely, it could also be disasterous, both sides Sakurai would have to weigh out.
very well said, Luke. I couldn't come up with a single counterpoint if I tried.

Giving someone a body is not as hard as you guys are making it sound. They simply have to sketch out a fitting body and then use polygons to create it visually on the console. The developers did this with every single character. With Pit, they "gave him a new body." The body argument simply does not work.

However, I will agree with everyone that Andross does not have a great chance or even a good chance to get into the game. Not with Krystal as his main competition. But I do believe he can edge out Wolf, simply because he will add more to the game then another fox-like, shooting animal.
We are talking about the characters affinity itself,Pit's body was created because historicaly his character always has a body.If you give a body to Andross,he isn't Andross,he's just some obese,metrosexual(By your oppinion) ape.

And how would he add more to the game than Wolf??Andross can't even count to 20.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Andross, historically, did have a body before an experiment went haywire. This was not shown in the game, but neither was Captain Falcon shown fighting even though he was a bounty hunter. So if C.F is a racer then if he is out of his car then by your argument he is not representing the true C.F. But he is! In the game he has fast speed to represent his racing history.

Andross's head would be a prominent feature because it is so recognizable. And his hands could have big metal gloves on them, so the hands and head would stick out the most. The body would just allow him to make a better brawl character.

I am saying that Andross has more potential then Wolf to have a more diverse moveset. Historically, the characters without moves such as Fox and C.F, have (in my opinion) the top coolest looking movesets. Wolf would share some moves with Fox. That is my point.

Hoodie

Smash Journeyman
I would agree with Andross on Brawl, if they were to make him something like The Master Hand. A Boss character and nothing. Not selectable in Versus mode. Fighting Andross the way you do MasterHand in Melee, Would be pretty cool.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Andross could be both a boss character and a selectable character like Bowser and Giga Bowser. After you beat Andross (the scientist) in a certain mode he could transform into his more known form and fight like master and crazy hand with his giant floating head in the background.

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman
Or just have him as a boss and don't waste a character slot on a hack-job character.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
You shouldn't have to completely redesign a character to make them fit they eitherfit or they don't. If they don't they shouldn't get in. Andross doesn't fit. Wolf is better.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Smash is such a great series because each game takes risks and chances and uses off the wall ideas to make a wacky game. The first game broke the convential fighting game formula and basically created a new genre. This was a huge risk. Breaking from a formula that works real well could be disatrous. Plenty of games bombed because they took chances. But by not taking a chance Sakurai would never have made this game how it is today.

In the sequel he added complexity to the dodge system (inadvertently creating the wave dash phenomenon) as well as adding another move, making throws more combo oriented, and introducing new fighting styles such as morphing (Zelda) and a duo system (Ice Climbers).

In the third the introduction of third party characters will take the game to a new fun level. Andross would be another risk, but one that has potential to be a huge payoff. I am sure old school fans of the Star Fox series will rejoice and prance around when they see Andross on the selection screen all geared out in his scientist gear and new body. Plus it is interesting. The same boring formula does not generate worthy sequels.

Some people on this forum would be happy keeping the same design of Melee and simply adding new characters without any new gimmicks or changes. That is boring. Wolf does not have that much potential to add anything interesting to the mix. Wario's attacks or at least one of them seem to be more powerful the longer you don't use them (according to the website). Samus will be able to acquire the Zamus form by some means. Snake is a third party character. Andross would be a "wow" factor. People would warm up to him fast.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
Andross isn't very popular where as Wolf is, so still no. Another risk would be having the game freeze when you turn it on I mean that could Jepordize the entire game and that isn't going to happen and niether will Andross.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Andross isn't very popular where as Wolf is, so still no. Another risk would be having the game freeze when you turn it on I mean that could Jepordize the entire game and that isn't going to happen and niether will Andross.
So the Ice Climbers were way less popular then Wario and they still got in. Game and Watch was also way less popular then Wario and even Metaknight and even Pit. Still he got in before them. So that means that popularity does not necessarily matter. It might in some cases, and may not in others. Many factors go to work on the design process.

kaid

Smash Master
Wario was, at the time of Melee, simply yet another Mario character. Seeing as Mario already had arguably almost a third the characters in the game already... and considering his similaritys to mario, the unique additions of retro characters Sakurai enjoyed is a welcome addition.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
But what he has going for him is being the main original villain. He is pretty well known. I would say just as known as Wolf, maybe even more recognizable. The franchises should have their main villains.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
There are other people who support him. I am saying he is recognizable not liked. They are different things. Plus people don't necessarily know what they like. In the long run I bet more people would rather have a unique old monkey high tech fighter then a semi-clone.

I wasn't a big fan of pokemon, but the cool fighting of jigglypuff made me enjoy playing as her.

There is just more potential for Andross being a more unqiue fighter then Wolf. End of story.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
How am I beat? You guys barely come up with points for the most part.

Writing "Wolf > Andross. Wolf PWNS your mom 3y3434y" does not count as an actual point.

Top Bottom