• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Andross for Brawl! Starfox needs a cool enemy

xianfeng

Smash Hero
That made no sense. Neither does Wolf for Brawl. But lets just wait. You will see that monkey and you will be like,"He was right. By Mary's collection of Mulberries he was right. God bless that man. Andross is great."
You think Andross in Brawl makes sense but Wolf doesn't? If I loose the bet I will change my sig to a picture of Diddy being owned by Andross and it will say something like Diddy SUX!

DokturSea

Smash Lord
I can't wait for either Wolf of Andross to be confirmed. It's gonna be funny to see the one's who said "OMFG NO WAI HE IS TEH SUXXORS" act like they don't care that they were wrong.

Actually, I think Andross might be cool. I like monkeys.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
the closest thing to andross that would be added is his nephew, andrew. he is a monkey that doesnt look as... and we know what his whole body looks like. but as you know, wolf stands a better chance than all of the bad guys.
wolf in brawl: 80% chance
andross in brawl: 2% chance

Link'sShadow

Smash Journeyman
One I would like to see Andross put in (though it's unlikely). Plus Andross was the Weapons Tech and bioenginer for Corneria. Now Dr. Mario's arch enemy is the common cold who do you think be more fitting? Every Badguy (maybe except Starwolf) you fight in SF64 was built by Andross. This guy could be Uber Tech (kinda like Ness's friend). A mad science monkey would be cool to have.

"Bowserlick" I'm trying to help but take it from me these guy don't want off the wall ideas and they are not going to change.

That doesn't mean you can't try.

Blood Falcon

Smash Journeyman
yeah Andross should just be a boss cuz when playin SF64 and face Andross, hes basically like the Master hand, they don't have feet and theyre both huge

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If Andross becomes a playable character he would not be the head and hands. He would be a regular old sized humanoid ape sporting high tech upgrades in order to duke it out with the other brawlers.

Why pick Andross?
1. Because he is unique. He would have a cool and different moveset. Plus he would be one of the first old characters.

2. He was the main villain of the Star Fox series. Without him, Fox McCloud would not have skyrocketed to fame.

3. Wolf and General Scales were mere pawns of Andross. He is a mastermind. His strategy could involve setting traps, edge guarding, and other deceitful ways of defeating the oppenent.

4. He would be a nice suprise. He is unexpected and I am sure once he was playable, he would win the respect of players as well as the respect of Wolf fans.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
If Andross won't be the big head and hands he's famous for, then they would have to build a character model for him. Converting old characters into modern graphics is one thing (Ice Climbers, Pit), but creating a character model from out of nowhere is ridiculous. They might as well add Andrew. I also don't see what makes him unique since we have no idea what he was like before he decided to throw away 85% of his body and make the rest of him collossal. They could easily make him a clone of an existing character if they wanted to.

While he is the main villain of Starfox, he's not the most popular or the most feasable as a brawler. He falls behind Wolf, Scales, even the rest of the Starwolf team in that sense (like I said, you might as well add Andrew). Irrelevant of whether they are pawns or not, they fit much better in brawl than Andross would.

Besides, Andross was a scientist before. They aren't renowned for being physically fit or experts at martial arts.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think it is exactly the challenge that Sakurai would find fun tackiling and suceeding with.

No one knew how Captain Falcon fought or even Fox before Smash Brothers. It seems that Sakurai enjoys putting out concepts that most people would not predict or at least not expect. The Ice Climbers, and their duo play style, were a shock. Then there was Zelda would could transform and acquire a whole new moveset. And of course there was the introduction of third party characters.

So creating a model for Andross could be another enjoyable project that would shock Smash fans and maybe even win them over. At the very least it would give them something to talk about.

His body could be based off Andrew, but Andross should be in over him. He could fight with gadgets, steel blocks, and many other devices that the designers would create. A scientist would just add even more variety to an already odd cast assembly.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
If Sakurai wanted to create a character that didn't have an existing model, he'd simply create an entirely new character.

I'll give you second point though, especially seeing as Krystal is the only starfox character that has an obvious move set to draw from. But the rest would still be more believable as fighters and have the advantage of having a current model to base them off. And basing Andross off Andrews model may confuse some people, and it doesn't really change the fact that the majority off people recognise Andross as the giant monkey head and hands.

I'm also not too sure how much Sakurai enjoys a challenge, as it seems Snake is giving him a hard time at the moment.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
No, he wouldn't create a new character to be a brawler because the game showcases Nintendo and other video game characters. He might create another new boss, but not a playable character.

I am sure it would not confuse people. Andross would be fatter and his face would still be the same. His face looks different then Andrews. I think what was more confusing (for the American audience) was the introduction of Marth and Roy. The game still sold very well, even in America and people fell in love with those characters.

Snake is giving him trouble?

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
The thing is, no matter how much the charcters have been affected by graphical updates (cept G&W), their basic design has remained the same. Creating a new model for Andross while everyone recognises him as a giant Head with dissembodied hands would require explaining, and people might not take to Andross being turned into a gorilla in a labcoat very well.

The thing about Marth and Roy though is that they were pratically unknown to international audiences (Roy was just completely unknown), so it was a new experience for players. But Andross already exists, is well known and has a recognisable form, so changing his character model is changing who he is and he means to people. I'd say very few people see Andross as the scientist he was before he became a freak of nature.

It could pay off, but Sakurai has to judge whether it's worth it. Andross doesn't appear to be the most popular character, so putting so much effort in creating a whole new side to him that people may or may not like could probably be better spent on a different charcter that he doesn't need to change and merely adjust and who is highly popular.

I read somewhere that Sakurai was struggling for a recovery move for Snake. It's partially a good sign, as it shows he's putting a lot of effort into him, so Snake will most likely turn out to be a top notch character hopefully.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
You bring up good points. There is always the possibility of negative effects when changes are made and risky ideas are taken. But not taking risks will make the sequel merely Melee with more characters.

The clones were a risky move and although the developers did not want to include them per se, they did so to add more characters rather then none. And now some people are clamoring for more clones.

Andross would have the same personality, just a body so he can fight. His moves can still involve metal blocks and other such attacks. On the first page I proposed a moveset for him.

I doubt the mad monkey will appear, but I bet he would be one of the most interesting characters on the roster if he did appear.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
dont you get noone except you wants andross? and besides, they arent going to create a full character model for him because he doesnt have one. do you really think they would create a body for any character so they could be in this game? ssb is a game for video game legends to fight against each other. not for ugly monkeys to debut their new bodys.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
I think it is exactly the challenge that Sakurai would find fun tackiling and suceeding with.
You're taking this whole 'Sakurai likes challenges' thing completely out of context. While that may be true, you can't just throw it around to make yourself sound right. When Sakurai talks about challenges, he means characters like Demiru, Ouendan, and Solid Snake, whom he is intrigued by and could have a lot of fun creating. He doesn't mean creating a brand new character design and model for someone elses franchise, and one that nobody wants or would recognize. Asking Sakurai to include pre-floating head Andross is asking him to not only create a completely new character from hands and a face, but also to create a complete history that he never had in order to find what moves he could possibly have, all for the sake of wasting space with one character that hardly anybody would want to see. It isn't practical in the slightest.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Sakurai wont even bother making a body for that monkey, Ive bet only bowserlick voted for him, besides wolf and krystal are on the top most wanted list for characters in brawl...

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
No I am not taking the challenge thing out of context. Sakurai already made entire movesets from characters who never had them. Captain Falcon never even stepped out of his car. So why can he not create a body for Andross? Andross was a scientist before a head. He was banned from planet Corneria for his experiments. Now that is cool, being banned from an entire planet.

Therefore, it is not changing his personality. Giving Gannondorf Captain Falcon's moves is more personality changing then merely slapping a body on Andross. His face will still be recognizable. The history is already there, Sakurai just has to tap into it.

If Sakurai likes the concept of Andross and if he wants Fox to have his original villain, then he will put him in. I think more people will recognize Andross then they did the Ice Climbers.

I am not saying you have to like Andross. I am just saying it is feasible that he can be included and that if he were included, he has the potential to be one of the most interesting fighters out of the whole lot.

Stryks

Smash Hero
1st: No one likes that ape, only u, the only thing he's famouse for is having a giant head and 2 hands, thats it, if we put him a body will just ruin the character...

2nd: They gave Cpt. Falcon a new body, true, but it was 64! I mean no one cared they just wnated to play, right now they know if they make up a body people will notice that way more...

3rd: There are gonna be a total of 4 star fox characters: Fox, falco, wolf and krystal, I have NO DOUBT in my mind krystal and wolf will be in brawl, now if we would want to put one final SF character, who should it be:
Panther, Leon, Peppy, slippy, ROB, Gnral Scales, or andross with a body?
I rather have slippy in there than the monkey...

4th People WOULD recognize andross if he were only the head and hands, with a body everyone will go: Whose that?... Andross? Since when did andross have a body?...

so all of us guys in the boards can agree that Wolf and Krystal pwn Andross...

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
1. Well if you say that no one likes him, then the designers cannot really ruin him by giving a body. There would only be room for improvement. Of course there are people out there that do like Andross. There are also people out there that would prefer a character to have a completely innovative and different moveset then a rehash or stat change moveset of a different moveset (many people on these boards feel that Wolf and Fox's moveset would be too similar).

2. You seem to know everyone's opinion. Sakurai already created a precedent of creating bodies and movesets with Captain Falcon, and regardless if people knew who he was prior to Super Smash Brothers (I know I didn't) they still had fun with him. I think C.F has one of the most creative movesets. I also think Fox has a pretty nifty, creative moveset. Hmmm... it seems like both these movesets were created from scratch. There is more design possibilities with characters like these, who did not actually fight or have moves in their game.

3. You do not know this.

4. Well there would be his name under his picture. And people will recognize his face. And he will be stationed near the Star Fox characters and have their icon. So yea, he would be recognized. Besides after people play with him, who knows, they might go online and find out more about his character. Thats what some people did when they saw Ness, C.F, Marth, and Roy.

Stryks

Smash Hero
They will recognize by the face duh no ****, but people including myself would rather have andross in his giant head and hands, giving him a body would just ruin him, also people were actually glad andross didnt show up in assault, he ain very liebale, but wolf is, hes a complete bad *** characters, point is almost no one want andross in brawl, and at the end thats what matters, thats why sakurai asked for our opinions...

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sakurai also stated that he didn't want to put characters in just because they were popular. He futher stated that he didn't want clones. Putting Wolf in (even though he would probably have many similar moves to Fox) just because he is popular goes against both comments.

Andross on the other hand fullfills both wishes.

The main question becomes: Who do you think would have a more diverse and interesting moveset? Andross with a body and high tech weaponry or Wolf, bad *** rival of Fox.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The question was: Who would have the more diverse and interesting moveset?

I say Andross. He would be the first scientist, inventor character.

His entire moveset would have to be made up only drawing on some history and atmosphere of the game (just like Fox and C.F who I think had the more interesting movesets).

All the movesets I have seen made for Wolf have things in common wit Fox's movesets. We already have Falco! Lets actually make the game more fun by adding a more unique character.

Stryks

Smash Hero
The question was: Who would have the more diverse and interesting moveset?
My answer is still Wolf, there wont be clones in brawl, so that will give him a new unique moveset, I imagine his B move will be machine guns, but what would he use as an UpB? jetpack doesnt seems his style, maybe like a claw-uppercut? who knows thats what makes him so awesome and interesting... also nobody cares if Andross is still alive, but im still scratching my head if wolf is still alive after what happend in assault, that proves how he the monkey has no respect, yeah i know what sakurai said, about the popular thing, still other old school characters would be way more interesting that a monkey with a new body, guys like mach rider, and others... so my answer still stands as:
Wolf > andross
wolf pwns andross
Wolf FTW!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Alright. I am not going to change your opinion. I just think that another gun user who also slashes with his claws is very boring. Read my moveset on page 1. I bet you at least think it could be interesting to play as that version. I know you still would not want him to replace Wolf. But that moveset shows he can be a competent brawler with his own strategy consisting of trapping his foe.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Ur moveset IS kidna interesting Ill give ya that, still Wolf still pwns, and nothing anyone can say would make me change that, same with krystal, megaman, deoxys, lucario, mach rider, geno, reidley and a bit for sonic XD... also there isnt another gun user that slashes, neither do falco or fox slash oponents... that id know f...

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
No I am not taking the challenge thing out of context. Sakurai already made entire movesets from characters who never had them. Captain Falcon never even stepped out of his car. So why can he not create a body for Andross? Andross was a scientist before a head. He was banned from planet Corneria for his experiments. Now that is cool, being banned from an entire planet.

Therefore, it is not changing his personality. Giving Gannondorf Captain Falcon's moves is more personality changing then merely slapping a body on Andross. His face will still be recognizable. The history is already there, Sakurai just has to tap into it.

If Sakurai likes the concept of Andross and if he wants Fox to have his original villain, then he will put him in. I think more people will recognize Andross then they did the Ice Climbers.

I am not saying you have to like Andross. I am just saying it is feasible that he can be included and that if he were included, he has the potential to be one of the most interesting fighters out of the whole lot.
I have to disagree. Hardly anybody, if not nobody, would recognize the former Andross because, speaking in terms of the games, that Andross has never existed. Only the most hardcore of Star Fox fans would realize what was going on, because I'm sure there are more people who don't know anything about Andross other than that he's the end boss in Star Fox.

Now, onto your claim about Captain Falcon. While that may be true, at least Falcon had more backstory and potential. Most importantly, he had a torso.

Listen, say what you want, Andross is last on the list of Star Fox characters. The only way I could ever see him in is 3 or 4 games after Brawl with 100+ characters, and when Sakurai has completely exhausted all other possible options.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Diversity isn't something Andross necessarily offers seeing as he doesn't have a body. They could easily give him a similair body structure to an existing character and make him a clone (they did it with Gannondorf, who actually had moves from his game thay could've used)

About Sakurai not wanting popular charcters, he seems to be reffering to old school charcters who people have forgoten about. He's going on about charcters that would have a unique playing style. Hoiwever, he's obviously going to add more popular characters, he wouldn't have had a poll otherwise. The fact is, Andross isn't very popular and Sakurai hasn't expressed an interest in him (which he has with Wolf, as he replied to a post that included him).

The thing is, I'm not sure Starfox will even get a 4th character (it may be one of Nintendo's main frachises, but it's not the most popular and doesn't have that many games) Fox and Falco are most likely returning (Fox is a cert, and Falco's incredibly popular), and the most likely addition is Krystal. If Sakurai adds a 4th, it will be later in the production, so having to not only make a moveset almost completely out of nowhere for a character but also a brand spanking new model is out of the question,as there would hardly be enough time to fit him in. And the fact that Andross doesn't seem to have a huge fanbase would turn Sakurai away, as while simply popular characters don't interest him, he's hardly going to add an unpopular one as that's unnecessarily ticking off the fans.

As for your first statement,even though captain falcon never left his F-Zero machine,he still had a freakin body!!

And also for seconds,andross isn't even on the list of characters so that further reduces his chances for the cut,even though he said that he wasen't going to add by popularity alone,he is hardly recognizable except to those who have played StarFox 64,because in the first game,he was a telepathic floating head,why was made of something..but i believe you see his face in his second form.

Andross wouldn't even be a intresting character,because you would have to make him up practically,and don't try to compare to Falcon,because he ALWAYS had a body.

And besides,isn't he dead??

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Giving someone a body is not as hard as you guys are making it sound. They simply have to sketch out a fitting body and then use polygons to create it visually on the console. The developers did this with every single character. With Pit, they "gave him a new body." The body argument simply does not work.

However, I will agree with everyone that Andross does not have a great chance or even a good chance to get into the game. Not with Krystal as his main competition. But I do believe he can edge out Wolf, simply because he will add more to the game then another fox-like, shooting animal.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
This is the most immature thread in the world. Bowserlick will post some reason one why Andross should be in Brawl, and almost immediatly someone will snap back with why he sucks. Usually this board is spirited debate but this thread is just all out hate against Andross. I fail to see why Andross being in Brawl pissed people off so badly. It's just a character. So what if you think there are "more deserving" characters. No need to get angry. The only two people who have shown on ounce of maturity in this thread are Bowserlick and HiddenTiger.

So congradulations everyone, you've succesfully made yourselves look like jerks.

Top Bottom