• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Analyzing Mewtwo's Changes (Now with a Buffs and Nerfs list)

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
The disrespect is real in that move. He looks away in complete disinterest with his palm outstretched.
I propose we now call this throw "Talk to the hand". If it still KOs well it will be even more awesome.

Although, how would you feel if Mewtwo got weaker kill throws for better smashes?
Sad. But I'd deal with it. Ness still has ultra strong throws. I think Sakurai associates Psychic with powerful throws.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I really think Dthrow is capable of hitting other players. Meaning: we can bop Luma to stop him
from disrupting our combos.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I really think Dthrow is capable of hitting other players. Meaning: we can bop Luma to stop him
Could it not in Melee? I feel like it could but I don't remember if it did or not. Anyways if you want to bop Luma Up-Throw and Back-Throw can probably hit her too with Rosalina herself as you're flinging her.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
One large buff mewtwo received is that his tail is more upright, making his hurtbox smaller than in melee. His tail could also be disjointed like charizard, making his hurtbox even smaller.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
It did in Melee too, but yeah, it'll certainly be super useful in that matchup. Even better that down-throw seems to be a great combo-starter.
Which move am I looking at in this picture?
That's his jab finisher!

DarkStar15

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nasir
3DS FC
2466-4104-0703
He looks stiff, and hardly revamped... At least Confusion works as it was always supposed to, and U Smash kills. Now what?
I disagree, he looks much more viable in competitive play, and seems to be much faster

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
That's his jab finisher!
I thought perhaps it was, but since he doesn't seem to be hitting anyone, I wasn't sure. You normally can't use your jab finisher without first hitting someone with your rapid jab.

Don't you want him to have new moves and animations?
But you see, they gave him a LOT of new animations, even if his moveset is mostly the same. That's the thing! Even though he has most of the same moves, they still look fresh.

Last edited:

DarkStar15

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nasir
3DS FC
2466-4104-0703
I'm definitely maining Mewtwo, one of my favorite pokemon, and I love how viable he seems to be now!

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
What if Mewtwo can actually Disable a Luma?
Not likely. Luma can't shield or have its shield broken. It's not a real character... just a puppet. Since it can't go into dizzy state, I doubt Disable will effect it. Heck, Luma might be able to shield Rosalina from Disable, actually.

Last edited:

DarkStar15

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nasir
3DS FC
2466-4104-0703
He looks complete, Im curious as to why we must wait till the fifteenth

Enoki

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Enokikone
Good news:

By the looks of this, I don't think disable is a projectile since Pikachu is completely below the spark. Which, by the way, means that this move can hit very small characters!

Mediocre news:

I don't think Mewtwo has an insanely low crouch. Maybe it's just the angle but I definitely think Dark pit fired before he hit the ground. It's kinda hard to tell, but at this height, it looks like mewtwo is above Dark Pit's hip, which is tall enough to be hit by a normal arrow.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not likely. Luma can't shield or have its shield broken. It's not a real character... just a puppet. Since it can't go into dizzy state, I doubt Disable will effect it. Heck, Luma might be able to shield Rosalina from Disable, actually.
I already predict Rosalina is going to be difficult for Mewtwo anyway. He also probably will have a hard time with Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Diddy, Yoshi, Pikachu and Captain Falcon.

Matchups I think he could have the advantage are: R.O.B., Bowser, Ganondorf, Charizard, Greninja, Donkey Kong, King Dedede, Peach, Marth, Lucina, Bowser Jr. and Little Mac.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I want its U-Throw to still be a kill move. It's so fun just flinging people into the air to their doom.

Enoki

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Enokikone
I already predict Rosalina is going to be difficult for Mewtwo anyway. He also probably will have a hard time with Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Diddy, Yoshi, Pikachu and Captain Falcon.
That's a pretty big assumption, and I question why you didn't list Sonic, Luigi, Mario, Fox, or Ness since you named the rest of the high tiers. We don't know his grab range or speed, his kill percents, his range (if the tail is truly a disjoint), his roll speed and endlag, his weight, his priority, or his damage potential, etc. We know what some of moves are, but we don't yet know what he can do with them. I personally hope that after the balance patch, Mewtwo can hold his own against characters like these.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I don't recall what his properties were like in Melee, but he seems to slide during his Up Smash like other speedy characters. Makes me wonder if that, combined with the fact that his Up Smash has the strong suction effect, he could get kos off one of the high knock back suction hits like Mii Brawler and Samus. Also, as we know characters who run in pummel with a character at the ledge fall off with them, provided their speedy enough. I think this will be especially useful for Mewtwo due to his Nair having the multi hit suction effect and seemingly high knockback. I think his Dair will also be useful in this situation(Assuming it's possible) due to how fast it comes out.

I wonder if confusion can interrupt recoverys though.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Surprised Up B hasn't been mentioned in the OP.

Mewtwo can get a free ledge with Up B, unlike Melee.

I also seriously hope that Mewtwo doesn't have bad landing lag on Nair.
That **** needs to Auto cancel and stay that way......
That's true, the new engine makes Up-B even more OP than it was before. I'll add it right now.

Hopefully N-Air has auto cancel frames, I mean most aerials do.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I don't recall what his properties were like in Melee, but he seems to slide during his Up Smash like other speedy characters. Makes me wonder if that, combined with the fact that his Up Smash has the strong suction effect, he could get kos off one of the high knock back suction hits like Mii Brawler and Samus. Also, as we know characters who run in pummel with a character at the ledge fall off with them, provided their speedy enough. I think this will be especially useful for Mewtwo due to his Nair having the multi hit suction effect and seemingly high knockback. I think his Dair will also be useful in this situation(Assuming it's possible) due to how fast it comes out.

I think it's a mix of high dash speed and low traction that makes them slide during the running U-smash and dash grab in Smash 4 and Brawl. Mewtwo's traction was the 3rd lowest in Melee so that, combined with an at least average running speed this time around probably makes his U-smash slide a bit.

Both the U-smash and dash grab at the ledge will probably create interesting situations for Mewtwo.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

I don't fully understand your post but you're wondering if Mewtwo's traction is now much better and allows for things such as grabbing at the edge and dropping with your opponent into an N-Air (this combo would be awesome by the way)?

I guess he does slide quite a bit in the video, we will have to see just how much his traction has changed.

Confusion has always had incredibly priority, being a command grab and all. It can definitely interrupt recoveries as long as you space it correctly (it's a disjointed hitbox). But your opponent will be able to recover again it takes them out of special fall animation.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I'm also so glad he can act faster out of Side B.

In Melee, ANY character could Bair him, even when the move connected >_>
Yeah, Melee Confusion was terrible. You shouldn't have to shield every time you get a command grab -_-. The new Confusion and U-smash were the main two things I was hyped about when I saw the trailer for the first time.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Could Mewtwo's F-Tilt always be angled?

Because it can in Sm4sh!

Edit: Apparently, yes, he can angle it in Melee :p. My bad.

Last edited:

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Could Mewtwo's F-Tilt always be angled?

Because it can in Sm4sh!

Edit: Apparently, yes, he can angle it in Melee :p. My bad.
You could always angle it, I just confirmed in Melee. Glad to see he wasn't nerfed on that front.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
You could always angle it, I just confirmed in Melee. Glad to see he wasn't nerfed on that front.
Yes, seems like he always could, my bad on that one. Does the tail look smaller in these kind of attacks? I feel like B-Air seemed to have less range.

Could someone post a picture of his Melee Back-Air and F-Tilt in order to do a side by side comparison of the range?

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Yes, seems like he always could, my bad on that one. Does the tail look smaller in these kind of attacks? I feel like B-Air seemed to have less range.

Could someone post a picture of his Melee Back-Air and F-Tilt in order to do a side by side comparison of the range?
Here you go Bruh! :p

Last edited:

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
Here's my two cents: I want Mewtwo to be good. A solid player. He was one of my mains in Melee and I'm stoked to see him back.

However, I don't want him to be ridiculously amazing. People will bicker about "DLC characters were made purposely better!" for one thing. Also, people will end up maining him just because he's a good character, not because the character means something to them (imo, what should constitute a main).

But seriously, this is top-notch research!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Just checking.

Did anybody get easier to hit characters with back air?

And for mewtwos speed looks like same or slightly faster than greninja shrunken.

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
The only reason I think he will be able to attack out of teleport is because the short time that he is in the air afterwards he is folding his arms, something he does when he can attack in the air, such as after he hits luigi with bair. not sure yet though
he folds his hands after upB too while he's in helpless state. it really just looks like it'll be like how it is in melee.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

godogod

Smash Ace
Does Mewtwo throw his Shadowball right handed in this game? He was a leftie in melee. I thought it depends on what side you face in this game actually.. but his hand positioning when when charging shadowball is the same no matter what side you are facing, in this game(

I haven't seen him shoot shadowball on his left side yet..

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Does Mewtwo throw his Shadowball right handed in this game? He was a leftie in melee. I thought it depends on what side you face in this game actually.. but his hand positioning when when charging shadowball is the same no matter what side you are facing, in this game(

I haven't seen him shoot shadowball on his left side yet..

It depends on which side you're facing:

Last edited:
Top Bottom