• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Analyzing Character/Playstyle Mindsets

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Intro

Players have been asking others which character they should use. To which the reply is, "Choose whoever fits your style." This isn't a very helpful answer. It begs the questions, "What styles are there in a fighting game? Which characters fit a particular style?" My post here is going to explain just that.

Because a game is a limited world, you also only have so many questions and answers to derive from it. During a battle in a fighting game with a competitive mindset, there are three questions you're always asking yourself. "What is the Situation?(Airborne, off the edge, lag, etc.) What is the distance?(Spacing) And what is my opponent doing?" Once you've answered your question, you decide on a response, which is then put to action through your character. You're playstyle is how you personally pick your questions, answers, and responses.

Everything I wrote isn't set in stone, and they're only my own thoughts. Everything I'm saying in regards to strategy and characters isn't absolute, and you can use characters in different ways and be effective. This is meant to only give a general idea.

Questions and Responses

These are all the questions and their possible responses. Try to think about what goes through your mind during a match. What question do you tend to ask yourself the most during, and which response is most appealing? Once you select your favorite, head down to the next section.

Question
"What is the situation?" I.E. Am I in the air?

Response
In any situation there are only two choices.
"I'll change it." Or "I'll keep it."
"I'll adapt."

Question
"What is the distance between me and my opponent?"

Responses
With distance you can only choose to...
"I'll get/stay far away."
"I'll get/stay close."
"I'll keep him at arm's length. (Keep a specific distance)"

Question
"What is my opponent doing?"

Responses
There are probably more responses to this question then I'm giving, but this is all we'll need.
"It doesn't matter." Or "I'll beat him at his own game."
"I'll confuse him."
"I'll set him up."

The Playstyles

You'll see I've assigned a name and a defining character, along with a description of your strategy. Like so.

Response
Name for the playstyle
Example character

Text describing the playstyle

The abilities from the example character that may suit you
The list isn't meant to define a character, but to give an example of what capabilities you may be looking for to match your mindset. You can be most anything with any character, although some will be more effective with a certain strategy then others. I wouldn't think Captain Falcon would do well with a far away mindset.

"I'll adapt."
Counter
Mario :mario2:

You like to never be at a disadvantage, and change your strategy when appropriate. You recognize specific positions with their inherent advantages and weaknesses.

Being near the edge you know that if you're hit there's a good chance you won't be able to make it back. And from this same position if you whack your opponent, he'll likely land back on stage. But there are three ways you can reverse this. You could do a back throw, which would be the best option because it puts the enemy off the stage, but he might expect this. Or you could jump over, or roll behind him.

Mario has no large weaknesses, and his specials excel in their own specialties. He has a good anti-air game. His fireballs can keep a ground opponent at bay. The Fludd can slow the pacing of the opponent. And the cape can reflect projectiles or turn the enemy.

"I'll change it." Or "I'll keep it."
Control
Zero Suit Samus :zerosuitsamus:

You only feel right when you're dictating your opponent's moves. Once you gain an advantage, you press it all the way to victory.

ZSS has two paralyzing moves, a long grab, and an up-B that pulls enemies down. She decides when and where her opponent is. She can stop you in your tracks with a stun, follow it with a back grab to send you off the edge, and then use the up-B as you recover for the KO. And if someone ever gains momentum against her, her down-B can reverse it.

"I'll get/stay far away."
Projectile Spammer
Samus :samus2:

With this mindset you want to be safe by always keeping away from the opponent while still sending attacks. This could mean running to the other side of the stage, or jumping into the air. But you'll need a character with a projectile to justify doing such a thing.

Samus's missiles and grapple beam have great reach, and if you're so far away that even you can't attack them, you still have your beam shot to charge. She's also an amazing aerial combatant with her long jumps and floaty control.

"I'll get/stay close."
Rushdown
Captain Falcon :falcon:

This is about constantly getting into the face of your opponent, without regard for your own well being, in hopes of overwhelming them with your speed. It's never good enough to be out of attack range for you. If you hit your enemy away, you don't wait to see what he does, you charge right after him.

The captain has the second best running speed, he has nothing but melee attacks, and all of his specials bring him closer with velocity.

"I'll keep him at arm's length."
Mid-Range
Marth :marth:

You have to move backward or forward based on your opponent. You keep the perfect spacing where your strikes outreach others' close range attacks, and they can't counter with a projectile. This playstyle can either be the ultimate "reading their mind" or "reaction" based style. Your position is constantly be affected by your opponent, therefore you ability to read/react is always being tested.

No one exemplifies this style better then Marth. Marth's sword possesses the perfect reach when your careful to prevent counterattacks. Not only that, but he needs to strike with the tip to do the most damage.

"It doesn't matter."
Overpower
Bowser :bowser2:

This mindset simply wants to beat his opponent's options. If the game were rock paper scissors, you wouldn't want your rock to beat scissors and tie rock, you'd want your rock to defeat both his rock and scissors! It shouldn't matter what you guess in the long run.

Bowser has many attributes to define this style. His attacks either push a shielding opponent too far away to counter him, actually go through their shield (the klaw), or puts on too much pressure (flame breath). Bowser's Down-B ignores attacks with its super armor. And if you ever guess wrong, it shouldn't matter as much because of Bowser's enormous weight.

"I'll confuse him."
Hit & Run
Pikachu :pikachu2:

This is all about the mindgames. You like to weave in and out of your enemy's attack range with weird movements and hit from odd attack angles to bait him into making a mistake. You might condition him in to a certain response, which you'll take advantage of later with a feint. You want to read you opponent, but you don't want to let him read you.

With Pikachu's quick attack cancel tactics and slow thunder jolt, he can constantly keep the enemy on his toes. Maybe you'll attack him from the front again, or you'll teleport behind and grab, or perhaps you'll opt for pestering with a thunder jolt.

"I'll set him up."
Trapper
Snake :snake:

With a Trapper, it's more about cutting off your opponent's movements. You'll need a character that can generate simultaneous hitboxes. You want to force the opponent to come to you, and you'll make it as hard for him as possible.

Snake with his C4, mines, grenades, and rocket launcher, can literally blow the whole place up. If the opponent stays away from you, he'll always have to deal with your grenades, but to come to you he'll have to traverse two mines and a rocket.

I hope my work helps. This is only meant to be a starting place. There are other characters, and most of them concentrate on multiple questions and answers. For instance, I'd say Sonic is a combination of "I'll get close," and "I'll confuse him."

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
If flames start it's not my fault. And causing flames as reason alone isn't good enough to withhold something (I'm not saying you guys are saying that). That would be like not giving a child his medicine because he doesn't like the taste.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not bad. I'd elaborate on what you mean when you talk about how you respond in certain situations though.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
You're right, there's a step in between thinking "what is my opponent doing," and "I'll confuse him." Would that be rational? I'll have to add it in later.

EDIT: I think I may have cleared it up now. You first ask a question (How's my distance?), then answer it (I'm far away), and finally you make a response (I'll get closer).

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
When you say

Question
"What is my opponent doing?"

Answers
"It doesn't matter." Or "I'll beat him at his own game."
"I'll confuse him."
"I'll set him up."

You should go on to give an example of a character that fits the answer the person might ask themself. Say, if they chose "I'll confuse him.", then you need to give an example of a character that does that maybe.

Basically, you're transitioning between your points too quickly.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Sorry I confused your question. ^_^;

You have a point. I'll have to think about how to do this. Thanks for helping.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
What about different playstyles for the same character? I've seen good offensive and defensive styles for many characters. Also, there's things like what this player likes to kill with, how they set up their kills, etc. So much goes into it.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
The list isn't meant to define a character, but to give an example of what capabilities you may be looking for to match your mindset. You can be most anything with any character, although some will be more effective with a certain strategy then others. I.E. I wouldn't think Captain Falcon would do well with a far away mindset.

EDIT: This is pretty good. I'll quote this in the first post to save confusion.

EDIT2: To answer your other question, how a person kills shouldn't be up to personal preference, since there are more effective ways then others.

EDIT3: Does anyone know of a better topic title? I know the one I have isn't effective in any form, but I can't think of what to say.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Interesting thread, Rhyfelwyr. You know, I was thinking about making something like this. Still, I think there are more options to choose from, rather than what you base your list off of. For example, let's say you played a balanced style. This doesn't mean you choose Mario as a character, since he's balanced. Rather, your playstyle consists of both offense and defense. It doesn't lean one way or the other. It's in the middle. The offensive style would be also called the "aggressive" playstyle. Captain Falcon is a good choice for this, since he can overwhelm them with his speed. Still, I've had moments where I played aggressively as Samus. I'd take little regard with my defense, but that was only because my opponent was too pressured to even fight back most of the time. I've also come across a balanced Bowser player. That's tough stuff.

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♥It's sad how idiots come here, add useless less-than-twenty character comments and leave. This is a perfectly fine thread ( compared to some other junk posted here and the General Brawl Forums). This thread obviously needs more work so we'd all appreciate it if you idiots stop saying "inb4flames" and all that junk and please actually post something useful like DanGR, Rapid__Assassin and Dryn have. Useless comments like "ZOMGZ FLAMEWARS!" aren't needed here thank you very much. ;)

♥On another note, I think this thread has plenty of potential. It just needs to be a little more descriptive, and if possible, divide the "divided" mindsets into even smaller groups to further get the info across. This is a good example that you should follow in terms of layout/descriptions/ etc. You don't have to follow it or do anything similar, but it was a very useful (and successful) thread for the Zeldas. ;)

♥There's plenty of potential in this thread if you decide to improve it. But as of now.... its borderline mediocre. I hope you'd make a smart decision and improve this thread Rhyfelwyr. ;)

Tenki

Smash Hero
Sonic is too much of a player-based char lol. The majority of his gameplay is like, players taking advantage of his mobility.

There's speed, and that doubles for hit-and-run (includes people who are 'perfect spacers' as well as more campy ones) as well as really aggressive playstyles (requires good 'reading' ability)

Then there's the more campy, defensive playstyles that range from just walking back and camping a miss, outright long-range camp (..?@effectiveness), or camp-in-your-face (feints).

=/

It's really weird. There are so many playstyles, but each respective Sonic main tends to have their own flavor to gameplay.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Interesting thread, Rhyfelwyr. You know, I was thinking about making something like this. Still, I think there are more options to choose from, rather than what you base your list off of. For example, let's say you played a balanced style. This doesn't mean you choose Mario as a character, since he's balanced. Rather, your playstyle consists of both offense and defense. It doesn't lean one way or the other. It's in the middle. The offensive style would be also called the "aggressive" playstyle. Captain Falcon is a good choice for this, since he can overwhelm them with his speed. Still, I've had moments where I played aggressively as Samus. I'd take little regard with my defense, but that was only because my opponent was too pressured to even fight back most of the time. I've also come across a balanced Bowser player. That's tough stuff.
Sonic is too much of a player-based char lol. The majority of his gameplay is like, players taking advantage of his mobility.

There's speed, and that doubles for hit-and-run (includes people who are 'perfect spacers' as well as more campy ones) as well as really aggressive playstyles (requires good 'reading' ability)

Then there's the more campy, defensive playstyles that range from just walking back and camping a miss, outright long-range camp (..?@effectiveness), or camp-in-your-face (feints).

=/

It's really weird. There are so many playstyles, but each respective Sonic main tends to have their own flavor to gameplay.
"The list isn't meant to define a character, but to give an example of what capabilities you may be looking for to match your mindset. You can be most anything with any character, although some will be more effective with a certain strategy then others. I wouldn't think Captain Falcon would do well with a far away mindset."

That quote is at the beginning of the playstyle listing. I don't know how I can be clearer.

Choosing a character? >>
It's more then that though...

♥It's sad how idiots come here, add useless less-than-twenty character comments and leave. This is a perfectly fine thread ( compared to some other junk posted here and the General Brawl Forums). This thread obviously needs more work so we'd all appreciate it if you idiots stop saying "inb4flames" and all that junk and please actually post something useful like DanGR, Rapid__Assassin and Dryn have. Useless comments like "ZOMGZ FLAMEWARS!" aren't needed here thank you very much. ;)

♥On another note, I think this thread has plenty of potential. It just needs to be a little more descriptive, and if possible, divide the "divided" mindsets into even smaller groups to further get the info across. This is a good example that you should follow in terms of layout/descriptions/ etc. You don't have to follow it or do anything similar, but it was a very useful (and successful) thread for the Zeldas. ;)

♥There's plenty of potential in this thread if you decide to improve it. But as of now.... its borderline mediocre. I hope you'd make a smart decision and improve this thread Rhyfelwyr. ;)
I knew this topic needed work, and that's why I put it here, so I could learn how to improve it. Thanks for the advice.

EDIT: Okay, the OP now explains why I only have the playstyles I do. And I doubled the descriptions of the playstyles by taking into account exactly what you could do. Is this better?

Tenki

Smash Hero
"The list isn't meant to define a character, but to give an example of what capabilities you may be looking for to match your mindset. You can be most anything with any character, although some will be more effective with a certain strategy then others. I wouldn't think Captain Falcon would do well with a far away mindset."
What I meant was that different players seem to be able to be effective with really varying styles.

like...
"I'll get/stay close" > Rushdown works really effectively with Sonic so long as you can read your opponent's defense.
This is about constantly getting into the face of your opponent, without regard for your own well being, in hopes of overwhelming them with your speed. It's never good enough to be out of attack range for you. If you hit your enemy away, you don't wait to see what he does, you charge right after him.
Sonic's speed can let you stick to your opponent, but most people are familiar with his range/priority issues, so it kind of requires a good read on your opponent - so if you know he'll airdodge, you can delay your attack, if you know he'll attack, you can shieldgrab, etc.

"I'll confuse him" > Hit and run works so long as you can use his speed and cancels effectively to do so.

This is all about the mindgames. You like to weave in and out of your enemy's attack range with weird movements and hit from odd attack angles to bait him into making a mistake. You might condition him in to a certain response, which you'll take advantage of later with a feint. You want to read you opponent, but you don't want to let him read you.
This almost exactly describes my personal playstyle. Camp in-your-face, slightly-out-of-range, or wherever.

"I'll keep him at arm's length" > Mid-range might actually describe the combination of the two for Sonic: like a 'hit and run', but with a super-extended and aggressive 'hit', and weaving just slightly out of the opponent's range.

You have to move backward or forward based on your opponent. You keep the perfect spacing where your strikes outreach others' close range attacks, and they can't counter with a projectile. This playstyle can either be the ultimate "reading their mind" or "reaction" based style. Your position is constantly be affected by your opponent, therefore you ability to read/react is always being tested.
Pretty much that, except, instead of spacing to barely outrange, it's spacing to be just barely out of range, but close enough to take advantage of ground speed to punish certain moves, but when you DO have the chance to punish, you stick in there for a while.

,'/

The 'midrange' one is iffy, since it's more of midrange camping+aggro. But yeah, pretty much all those styles work effectively with Sonic lol.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Okay, I understand now. You're only making an observation, I thought you may have been implying I wasn't taking into account how a character can be played in different ways, which I was use too from other responses.

Top Bottom