• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Outside of the BOX idea - Qbby for Smash Support Thread!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Because of this thread I decided to check out the BoxBoy series. I can't say I support him for Smash yet since I never support any character I don't have experience with, but you guys got me into the series.
if you like your welcome if you dont im sorry

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
Because of this thread I decided to check out the BoxBoy series. I can't say I support him for Smash yet since I never support any character I don't have experience with, but you guys got me into the series.
That’s great! Hopefully you enjoy the series!

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
you know I can actually see Qbby being a playable character. mostly as a joke character but still a viable one. I think he'll be this smash joke character. he might get a resource gauge or something like that on how many boxes he has up to 4 in total. I would most definetly support him all the way

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
So update I've beaten the game and I was so engrossed I almost missed dinner. This a pretty cool series and it would be cool to see it in Smash.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
you know I can actually see Qbby being a playable character. mostly as a joke character but still a viable one. I think he'll be this smash joke character. he might get a resource gauge or something like that on how many boxes he has up to 4 in total. I would most definetly support him all the way
Does Smash even have any joke characters? Usually in fighting games a joke character is intentionally terrible. As a joke. None of the characters in Smash are like that. They have a lot of effort put into them to make them compete with the rest of the cast. People use the term "joke character" in Smash to describe strange characters. There are a lot of strange characters in Smash but they weren't put in as a joke. They were put in because Sakurai thought they would be unique.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Does Smash even have any joke characters? Usually in fighting games a joke character is intentionally terrible. As a joke. None of the characters in Smash are like that. They have a lot of effort put into them to make them compete with the rest of the cast. People use the term "joke character" in Smash to describe strange characters. There are a lot of strange characters in Smash but they weren't put in as a joke. They were put in because Sakurai thought they would be unique.
Pichu was a joke character

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Jigglypuff, Villager, Wii fit trainer, pichu, Mr G&W, ROB. I would categorize them as Joke Characters. Just because they are called such does not mean they are out right bad or anything like that. They are what I like to call unorthodox fighters. And can be Fun. Qbby fits this catagory well. That does not mean he's a throw away but an unorthodox one. Thats how i just see it.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
So update I've beaten the game and I was so engrossed I almost missed dinner. This a pretty cool series and it would be cool to see it in Smash.
That's awesome! I'm glad this thread inspired you to give the game a go. and even more glad you enjoyed it.
Welcome to the supporters list.

I'm someone who can put aside their own wants and desires to see the potential in characters. While I don't care too much for the character, I actually think he might have a chance. It seems like HAL is really championing this guy and he's had some great success.

On top of that he'd be very unique in his abilities. The one problem is picking things up with no hands. Sure, of course he can pick thing up by just levitating it in front of him like demonstrated above, but the player needs to be able to see to character's reach when grabbing. It's important for gameplay reasons that the player plainly sees the animation of a character reaching out and grabbing something or someone.

I suppose they could take creative liberties and make him sprout a grabbing box from his side. The box would have cute little claws at the end that grab opponents.
I'm the same, there are quire a few characters that I personally have no interest in seeing get in to smash, but I know they have their fans and the character themself has potential so I can accept and appreciate that.

Qbby's lack of hands could be an issue, there isn't much that can be done to illustrate him picking up an item. unless he just kneels next to it or something. I'm sure they could come up with something that would work and fit the character. a little box claw could be cute in a strange sort of way. alternatively, I just had an idea from your mention of claws. perhaps Qbby could use one of the claw machine things from some of the levels in Boxboy to pick things up or grab opponents

you know I can actually see Qbby being a playable character. mostly as a joke character but still a viable one. I think he'll be this smash joke character. he might get a resource gauge or something like that on how many boxes he has up to 4 in total. I would most definitely support him all the way
The term Joke character is a bit of an odd one. he would definitely be an unorthodox character though yes, definitely would gather similar reactions for the general public (and general smash community) as Wii Fit Trainer did in samsh 4.
the idea of a resource gauge is pretty cool, having some way to increase the limit of how many boxes he can make at a time would be good.

in other Boxy news the other day I found out that there was a line of Boxboy themed t-shirts available at Uniqlo in Japan!

(one such shirt)
Qbby really does just show up everywhere doesn't he?

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
Qbby's lack of hands could be an issue, there isn't much that can be done to illustrate him picking up an item. unless he just kneels next to it or something. I'm sure they could come up with something that would work and fit the character. a little box claw could be cute in a strange sort of way. alternatively, I just had an idea from your mention of claws. perhaps Qbby could use one of the claw machine things from some of the levels in Boxboy to pick things up or grab opponents
Oh, that’s a pretty good idea! Though, I do wonder how that would work for something like ledges.
I had originally thought that for ledges, Qbby would just hold on with his legs and dangle off the side, since you can’t attack or anything like that when on a ledge. (Besides the whole attack-whilst-getting-back-up thing.)

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Oh, that’s a pretty good idea! Though, I do wonder how that would work for something like ledges.
I had originally thought that for ledges, Qbby would just hold on with his legs and dangle off the side, since you can’t attack or anything like that when on a ledge. (Besides the whole attack-whilst-getting-back-up thing.)
my guess for ledge grabbing would be a box snake

seeing him hold on with his little stick legs would be pretty cute too though.

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
I decided to make a moveset for Qbby.
Instead of just focusing on his blocks, I wanted to incorporate some hazards and elements from his game, like Ness, Villager, and Game and Watch.

I forgot a couple moves, sorry!

I hope y’all like it!

Specials:

Neutral: Box Throw.

Qbby creates boxes to throw at his enemy. Can hold to create more boxes, and you can shift them into different shapes.

Side: Remote Box.

Qbby makes a singular Remote Box to control and hit the enemy. Press the special button to disintegrate.

Up: Rocket Boxes.

Qbby creates his rocket boxes to fly him up to the stage. Little horizontal movement, but a good vertical recovery. After a few seconds, they turn gray and fall back down.

Down: Gravitational Arrows.

A space of gravitational arrows form around Qbby, making anyone who gets near slower and heavier.

Smashes:

Forward Smash: Three boxes in front of him. Retracted once move finishes.

Up Smash: Three boxes above him. Retracted once move finishes.

Down Smash: Two boxes on each side of him. Retracted once move finishes.

Grabs:

Forward throw: Qbby quickly makes two boxes forward, launching his enemy forward.

Back throw: Qbby throws a bomb boxes behind him, launching his enemy backward.

Down throw: Qbby jumps above he enemy and begins pelting them with the diamond-coins.

Up throw: Qbby throws the enemy up, and a laser hits the enemy.

Tilts:

Forward Tilt: One box forward. Retracted once move finishes.

Up Tilt: One box up. Retracted once move finishes.

Down tilt: One box on both sides of him. Retracted once move finishes.

Dash Attack: Qbby runs, and summons those black blob enemies in front of him.

Final Smash:

Qbby jumps up into the air and begins to form a gigantic block. He throws it down onto the stage, and upon impact, it begins separating into smaller (but still larger than average) blocks. Those blocks then begin separating into the regular blocks upon impact to the ground, and when those impact, they break into pieces and stop bouncing around.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I decided to make a moveset for Qbby.
Instead of just focusing on his blocks, I wanted to incorporate some hazards and elements from his game, like Ness, Villager, and Game and Watch.

I forgot a couple moves, sorry!

I hope y’all like it!

Specials:

Neutral: Box Throw.

Qbby creates boxes to throw at his enemy. Can hold to create more boxes, and you can shift them into different shapes.

Side: Remote Box.

Qbby makes a singular Remote Box to control and hit the enemy. Press the special button to disintegrate.

Up: Rocket Boxes.

Qbby creates his rocket boxes to fly him up to the stage. Little horizontal movement, but a good vertical recovery. After a few seconds, they turn gray and fall back down.

Down: Gravitational Arrows.

A space of gravitational arrows form around Qbby, making anyone who gets near slower and heavier.

Smashes:

Forward Smash: Three boxes in front of him. Retracted once move finishes.

Up Smash: Three boxes above him. Retracted once move finishes.

Down Smash: Two boxes on each side of him. Retracted once move finishes.

Grabs:

Forward throw: Qbby quickly makes two boxes forward, launching his enemy forward.

Back throw: Qbby throws a bomb boxes behind him, launching his enemy backward.

Down throw: Qbby jumps above he enemy and begins pelting them with the diamond-coins.

Up throw: Qbby throws the enemy up, and a laser hits the enemy.

Tilts:

Forward Tilt: One box forward. Retracted once move finishes.

Up Tilt: One box up. Retracted once move finishes.

Down tilt: One box on both sides of him. Retracted once move finishes.

Dash Attack: Qbby runs, and summons those black blob enemies in front of him.

Final Smash:

Qbby jumps up into the air and begins to form a gigantic block. He throws it down onto the stage, and upon impact, it begins separating into smaller (but still larger than average) blocks. Those blocks then begin separating into the regular blocks upon impact to the ground, and when those impact, they break into pieces and stop bouncing around.
The idea of dimensional arrows is pretty neat, I can see a lot of strategy being born from that, Qbby being sort of an anti-air character even seems pretty fitting.

The rest of the moveset was really neat too, that part just caught my eye.

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
The idea of dimensional arrows is pretty neat, I can see a lot of strategy being born from that, Qbby being sort of an anti-air character even seems pretty fitting.

The rest of the moveset was really neat too, that part just caught my eye.
Oh, thanks a lot!

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Nice Moveset Drawcia!
I especially like the Gravitational arrows and the throws. (the diamond coins were a nice touch)
I will add it to the first post. :)

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
With Qbby there are really 2 ways they could go about this. they could take the typical approach and just give him some re-colours, possibly based on the (very few) colours that appear in the BoxBoy! games (Boxrocket Red, Warpbox Blue, Bombox Orange, etc etc) as well as his inverted colour scheme from the Score Attack mode

Hey, Sailor Waddle Dee, could I use this picture for a Qbby Support Post I’m making on a different website?
Proper credit will be given.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i was looking through the comics in box box boy and one had something that i thought would be a great recovery move for him

theres one where he makes a larger than usual block that carries him upwards

its an idea

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
So, guys, this is a link to a discord about underdogs for Smash. It's devoted to just about any character not seen as likely. Qbby has a channel as do many other Nintendo characters and some 3rd parties. If you want to drop by and talk about BoxBoy, some other characters, or just Smash in general it's a fun a lively place. Feel free to join.
https://discord.gg/s8KEmwG

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
Okay so I just finished playing BYE-BYE BOXBOY! (i hadn’t played it before), and I’m wondering:
What happened to Qbby, Qucy, and Qudy at the end?
Because if what I think happened had happened, I’m wondering how a sequel will be made-

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Okay so I just finished playing BYE-BYE BOXBOY! (i hadn’t played it before), and I’m wondering:
What happened to Qbby, Qucy, and Qudy at the end?
Because if what I think happened had happened, I’m wondering how a sequel will be made-
i only just finished box box boy (oh the shame)

ill be starting bye bye box boy tomorrow

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
i was looking through the comics in box box boy and one had something that i thought would be a great recovery move for him

theres one where he makes a larger than usual block that carries him upwards

its an idea
that's a neat idea. it's great to see there's more recovery potential than just the BoxRockets.

So, guys, this is a link to a discord about underdogs for Smash. It's devoted to just about any character not seen as likely. Qbby has a channel as do many other Nintendo characters and some 3rd parties. If you want to drop by and talk about BoxBoy, some other characters, or just Smash in general it's a fun a lively place. Feel free to join.
https://discord.gg/s8KEmwG
I don't really use Discord much so i probably won't get involved there, but that's cool. thanks for sharing it with everyone

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
This would really make a perfect up-smash for Qbby (I belive Drawcia used this in their moveset, as did I)

You know, just remove the car... and the sneeze. but yeah a sudden stack of boxes shooting out of the top of Qbby then quickly retracting.

on another topic. If Qbby gets in. what BoxBoy music would you want to see included?

a lot of the music in Boxboy is a bit.. mellow? for a fighting game. but I could see something like this working.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
heres a thought, should qbby have an extra death effect like megaman, the way he shatters into cubes in game kind of reminds me of when megaman explodes so i kind of want qbby to have a simillar thing in smash

Sheng Long

Smash Apprentice
I really, REALLY want Qbby in Smash. His ability to generate boxes of different kinds grants some great moveset potential for sure. He is my third most wanted first/second party character for Smash behind Bandana Dee and Marx.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
heres a thought, should qbby have an extra death effect like megaman, the way he shatters into cubes in game kind of reminds me of when megaman explodes so i kind of want qbby to have a simillar thing in smash
Qbby's death animation was one of the things that struck me most in Boxboy. if they can include that in Smash somehow, I'd be happy. but I don't feel it's really THAT needed.

I really, REALLY want Qbby in Smash. His ability to generate boxes of different kinds grants some great moveset potential for sure. He is my third most wanted first/second party character for Smash behind Bandana Dee and Marx.
Welcome to the support list! Bandana Dee and Marx are among my more wanted characters too

just a little newcomer poster i drew

That's really cool!~
nice job fogbadge!
I like the use of all the boxes in smash bros in it

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Hey, since you might not be aware, there’s a character bracket going on and Qbby’s in it! Head over to the thread and show your support; together we are legion!

Also the bracket is pretty cool

Edit: link https://smashboards.com/threads/sma...arty-round-1-voting-in-progress.454282/unread
Thanks for bringing this to our attention GoodGrief741.
I have voted now.
nice to see he is prominent enough to have been included.
Everyone go on over there and show Qbby some love! :)

Last edited:

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
Hey, so, a while ago I made a BOXBOY Amino

If y’all don’t know what amino is, it’s basically a place where you join communities and then can post and hang out with fellow members.

Lots of times they’re made for things people like, so I made one of BOXBOY.
It’s a bit inactive right now, but I wanted to mention is anyway.

If you’d like to join, here: http://aminoapps.com/c/BoxBoyAmino

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Uh oh I just realized something. I mistakenly thought the third game Bye Bye BoxBoy! came out in 2016. It was 2017 instead. Hm... Maybe his chances weren't as great as I thought. All of those great Smashable abilities he has in the third game might not have been seen when Sakurai was making his choices for the roster back in 2016. This is if his project plan was finalized in 2016. We simply don't know. But now I'm more skeptical than before.

Basically I feel like this: Bye Bye Boxboy!, in my opinion, is the game that boosts Qbby's chances. It gives him a variety of cool moves and he was even given his own amiibo. If Sakurai did not get to see that game before he finished deciding the roster... I don't know.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If I remember correctly, some of those abilities from Bye-Bye BoxBoy were on the bonus levels from BoxBoxBoy, right? Just like how BoxBoxBoy’s double box ability was teased at the end of BoxBoy. My guess is the games were developed at the same time (or in close succession), then released separately. Even if that’s not true, it’s clear the devs had their ideas well thought out in advance, so Qbby might still be safe.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Good point.

If Sakurai decided to add Qbby anyway he'd probably meet up with his old pals at HAL and get some specifics about the character even before Bye Bye BoxBoy was realeased. Maybe. Who knows?

But an even bigger problem is, would the two eShop games (which were the only ones at the time) be enough to convince Sakurai that Qbby was worth it to be in Smash? The third one was a much bigger title, it got a physical copy and an amiibo. And I doubt Sakurai knew a third BoxBoy game was in the works unless he went out of his way to ask HAL about Qbby anyway. Qbby's status was much bigger in 2017 than 2016. So it's not even a lack of moves that would be the problem but his status not being as big yet.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You’re completely right about that, and it’s certainly cause for concern. I myself only bought and played the games after all three were out, so I can attest to it.

It’s worth noting that the two first games still received great reviews when they came out, though I might be grasping at straws.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Hey, so, a while ago I made a BOXBOY Amino

If y’all don’t know what amino is, it’s basically a place where you join communities and then can post and hang out with fellow members.

Lots of times they’re made for things people like, so I made one of BOXBOY.
It’s a bit inactive right now, but I wanted to mention is anyway.

If you’d like to join, here: http://aminoapps.com/c/BoxBoyAmino
That's pretty cool Drawcia. I'm not really familiar with Amino but any place for Qbby support has my attention.
also thanks for the shout out on there :)

Uh oh I just realized something. I mistakenly thought the third game Bye Bye BoxBoy! came out in 2016. It was 2017 instead. Hm... Maybe his chances weren't as great as I thought. All of those great Smashable abilities he has in the third game might not have been seen when Sakurai was making his choices for the roster back in 2016. This is if his project plan was finalized in 2016. We simply don't know. But now I'm more skeptical than before.

Basically I feel like this: Bye Bye Boxboy!, in my opinion, is the game that boosts Qbby's chances. It gives him a variety of cool moves and he was even given his own amiibo. If Sakurai did not get to see that game before he finished deciding the roster... I don't know.
While you raise a good point Koopaul, Qbby still had 2 games under his metaphorical belt by that time. and I'd say there's a good chance Bye-Bye was already in development by then. the first 2 games sold reasonably well, so it's possible that between the character, the sales figures of the first 2 games, and the fact a third game was in development, that Sakurai may have still seen the potential in Qbby. although it is possible then that Qbby's moveset may not feature the Bye-Bye Boxes. and just focus on regular boxes. which would be somewhat disappointing. but if they can make it work i'd still be cool with it. I'd say while this may hurt Qbby a little, he still has a decent shot. if anything it hurts his moveset potential more than anything.

plus if characters like Greninja and Roy could get in before their games were out/ while their games were in development, I'd say Qbby still has a shot.

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
While you raise a good point Koopaul, Qbby still had 2 games under his metaphorical belt by that time. and I'd say there's a good chance Bye-Bye was already in development by then. the first 2 games sold reasonably well, so it's possible that between the character, the sales figures of the first 2 games, and the fact a third game was in development, that Sakurai may have still seen the potential in Qbby. although it is possible then that Qbby's moveset may not feature the Bye-Bye Boxes. and just focus on regular boxes. which would be somewhat disappointing. but if they can make it work i'd still be cool with it. I'd say while this may hurt Qbby a little, he still has a decent shot. if anything it hurts his moveset potential more than anything.

plus if characters like Greninja and Roy could get in before their games were out/ while their games were in development, I'd say Qbby still has a shot.
My thoughts exactly

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
I just realized I ignored a question so let me answer it-

You know, just remove the car... and the sneeze. but yeah a sudden stack of boxes shooting out of the top of Qbby then quickly retracting.
Yes, that’s exactly what I meant

on another topic. If Qbby gets in. what BoxBoy music would you want to see included?

a lot of the music in Boxboy is a bit.. mellow? for a fighting game. but I could see something like this working.

Ooo! That music sounds like it could fit a BOXBOY stage, being mellow but not too mellow.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
I've added a couple of new little bits and pieces to the OP including a list of all the games Qbby appears in. if i've missed any, do let me know. and I'll add them to his Resume.

in other news.

possible Final Smash? :p

Top Bottom