• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Outside of the BOX idea - Qbby for Smash Support Thread!

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
So, I've been thinking about a little gimmick that Qbby could have in Smash Bros. something that could add to what makes him unique. and here's something I've come up with.

In the Boxboy! games, Qbby's a fragile little guy, one hit from a spike or a laser or a Spiky is instant (and painful looking) doom for our square shaped hero.
The boxes he can spawn however, are MUCH more resilient. Often you'll need to use boxes as a means of protection like a shield against these various fatal obstacles. unlike Qbby these boxes can withstand laser fire, and don't explode upon touching spikes.
so, what if Qbby's boxes could do the same in Smash?

This gimmick may admittedly be a little overpowered. but imagine if you will, Qbby creates some boxes from his body, and now wherever the boxes cover (in front, above, behind) is protected from damage, while the rest of him is still exposed. This would make Qbby an even more technical character since players would be able to utilize the boxes either to attack or as a shield. and the various setups they can do with them would add a lot of variety to what you can do with Qbby.
Actually, I know I said imagine it, but you don't need to. I created some visual aids.

Qbby without a box shield (does damage)

Qbby With a front facing box shield taking an attack from the front (no damage)

Qbby with a front facing box shield taking an attack from behind (does damage)

(I know the images are tiny, but I hope they help illustrate my idea. I might try to resize them later and update this post)

but yeah, what are your thoughts on a gimmick like this for Qbby? is it pointless? too overpowered? do you have any ideas of your own?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I’m really digging that idea, as it’s faithful to how Qbby actually plays. Making it so that he can either attack or defend makes him a very strategic character, fitting with his origins as a puzzle character. As for balancing issues, he could still take diminished damage, or we could take a page from the source material and make it so when he has boxes attached he can only face one side (thus leaving his flank exposed).

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
I’m really digging that idea, as it’s faithful to how Qbby actually plays. Making it so that he can either attack or defend makes him a very strategic character, fitting with his origins as a puzzle character. As for balancing issues, he could still take diminished damage, or we could take a page from the source material and make it so when he has boxes attached he can only face one side (thus leaving his flank exposed).
Yeah, I'd say being unable to turn and leaving one side of him permanently exposed is a good idea.

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'd say being unable to turn and leaving one side of him permanently exposed is a good idea.
I think that there should be something whers the boxes can get destroyed, and when they’re destroyed, he has a bit of endlag?

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
I think that there should be something whers the boxes can get destroyed, and when they’re destroyed, he has a bit of endlag?
That also works as a good trade-off for the protection.
There's a lot of ways they could go about Balancing a gimmick like this if they do implement something like it.

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
Hey, by the way, do you think Qbby’s moveset could have elemenrs of other Hal titles? (Like Pac-Man)

Kirby is the only Hal franchise in Smash, so there’s a lot to represent still.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hmm, I think Qbby would be underserved by that, he has lots of moveset potential on his own.

That said, I don’t know much about what other games HAL and Nintendo worked together on (well, aside from Mother).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hmm, I think Qbby would be underserved by that, he has lots of moveset potential on his own.

That said, I don’t know much about what other games HAL and Nintendo worked together on (well, aside from Mother).
theyve made a lot of games, even helped on the pokemon stadiums from what ive read, but i agree qbby move set potential is fine as it is

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Hey, by the way, do you think Qbby’s moveset could have elemenrs of other Hal titles? (Like Pac-Man)

Kirby is the only Hal franchise in Smash, so there’s a lot to represent still.
Well, Qbby did appear as a costume and cameo in Part Time UFO, so he could potentially borrow from that game I guess.
but Qbby probably has enough moveset potential on his own. he DOES have a tendency to cameo in other HAL titles though so including elements from them would be accurate, in a way.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Time for another random question

How would you guys feel if for Qbby's stage in Smash, instead of something from Boxboy! we got a stage based on the eShop itself?

EDIT: Haven't shared a Boxboy! comic in a while, so let's have one.
could THIS be how Qbby will grab?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Time for another random question

How would you guys feel if for Qbby's stage in Smash, instead of something from Boxboy! we got a stage based on the eShop itself?

EDIT: Haven't shared a Boxboy! comic in a while, so let's have one.
could THIS be how Qbby will grab?
boy thats happened to me a lot

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
It is Qbby's day in the RTC thread, please come and show your support.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Welp, I wrote an excessively long post on Qbby’s chances, hopefully it’ll get people to realize the potential of this little square. Please pop over to the RTC thread! We need to bring him exposure.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Come one everyone. all you box boys and box girls. let's show our Square Support!

Welp, I wrote an excessively long post on Qbby’s chances, hopefully it’ll get people to realize the potential of this little square. Please pop over to the RTC thread! We need to bring him exposure.
I just read your post. it was indeed quite long. but very well worded. hopefuly you will help sway a few ratings.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
a lot of people are just writing qbby off saying he doesnt have much potential what a shame

Last edited:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
yeah, i've been reading all the comments.
on the plus side, many people are outright abstaining. so.. that's better than rating him low I guess?
but yes. sadly it seems like not too many people outside of our thread have much knowledge or passion for the little Box

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
That's the way it is for all the lesser known characters. People just seem pretty apathetic to anything they don't know themselves which is understandable.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I’m actually surprised by how many people are giving him chance scores in the 30s and 40s. People see him as a potential surprise character and seem to agree that he has a decent chance despite flying under the radar. I consider that a victory.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
and the results are in

Qbby
17.57% Chance
35.80% Want

well. those numbers aren't amazing. or Ridley level or anything.
but for a character as niche and relatively obscure as Qbby, I think we did rather well.

That's the way it is for all the lesser known characters. People just seem pretty apathetic to anything they don't know themselves which is understandable.
This is something that kind of bothers me with the RTC thread, I kind of already knew Qbby would generate a lot of responses saying "who?" and people scoring him him low or abstaining due to lack of knowledge and no desire to research and learn. but I can understand why people choose to do that.

I’m actually surprised by how many people are giving him chance scores in the 30s and 40s. People see him as a potential surprise character and seem to agree that he has a decent chance despite flying under the radar. I consider that a victory.
Yeah, I noticed there were a few people that even rated his chances higher than I did. i was surprised and pleased.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
You guys persuaded me to see him as realistic. I gave him a 15 originally but adjusted to a 35 because you guys made better arguement then detractors.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
This is something that kind of bothers me with the RTC thread, I kind of already knew Qbby would generate a lot of responses saying "who?" and people scoring him him low or abstaining due to lack of knowledge and no desire to research and learn. but I can understand why people choose to do that.
I support a lot of lesser known characters and there is nothing more annoying than seeing someone go "literally who?" and move on. That's not an argument it's just lazy. Just because someone hasn't heard of a character doesn't make them unlikely. There are so many characters on the roster that before they were added most people would have gone "who" but they still made it. It drives me crazy when someone says that.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
then weve achived something
Honestly the biggest reason I suggest greater discourse in RTC is to argue for or against other scores. I literally went up 20 points for Qbby from you guys. I literally was convinced with Lycanroc. People just posting scores or one liners honestly make that arguement weaken.

Plus the only reason I rated indifferent is because I have yet to play his games.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Honestly the biggest reason I suggest greater discourse in RTC is to argue for or against other scores. I literally went up 20 points for Qbby from you guys. I literally was convinced with Lycanroc. People just posting scores or one liners honestly make that arguement weaken.

Plus the only reason I rated indifferent is because I have yet to play his games.
well if you enjoy puzzle games then theyre worth a try

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
Going off the RTC thing, I just read some of the posts and it’s honestly kinda tragic imo. I don’t blame them for not playing the game, but it’s disappointing that people see him run and jump and think that’s all he can do. If they tried the games or looked at his abilities, they’d see his incredible moveset potential :/

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
85AB71FC-A09E-44EF-A7AD-DD625677D246.jpeg
So I just spent some time on Photoshop and I tried to make a Splashcard for Qbby.
It’s certainly not the best splashcard you’ll see, but I’m proud of it as it is my first one ever.

Last edited:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 145167 So I just spent some time on Photoshop and I tried to make a Splashcard for Qbby.
It’s certainly not the best splashcard you’ll see, but I’m proud of it as it is my first one ever.
You should be proud, that's quite nice Drawcia.

Sorry i've been absent for a while guys, started a new course recently so I haven't had much time to post on here.
but with only a week till E3 begins, I'd say it's time we all get excited for smash bros news!

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
Well.
In light of the new Smash info, do y’all think Qbby has indirectly been deconfirmed?
Sadly, I think his chances are now much slimmer than they were.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Well.
In light of the new Smash info, do y’all think Qbby has indirectly been deconfirmed?
Sadly, I think his chances are now much slimmer than they were.
I don't think he's been Deconfirmed. since we didn't see anything outright stating he WON'T be in the game (unlike Waluigi or Bomberman being assist trophies or Protoman and Bass being in Megaman's final smash for example)
But given the "don't expect too many new characters" is a little ominous. he may still get in. and I'm going to hope he does. but yeah right now no one's chances are as great as they were before e3. the are only going to be a select few that get in (not counting potential DLC) but until it's over we just need to keep hoping and keep finding ways to show our support for Qbby!

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
I don't think he's been Deconfirmed. since we didn't see anything outright stating he WON'T be in the game (unlike Waluigi or Bomberman being assist trophies or Protoman and Bass being in Megaman's final smash for example)
But given the "don't expect too many new characters" is a little ominous. he may still get in. and I'm going to hope he does. but yeah right now no one's chances are as great as they were before e3. the are only going to be a select few that get in (not counting potential DLC) but until it's over we just need to keep hoping and keep finding ways to show our support for Qbby!
So, according to the Character Graveyard Post, Qbby (along with Ashley and Shadow) have NOT besn found as assist trophies in the game yet.
While it could mean he’s not in the game all together, it could also mean that he’s playable character.

Plus, I found it very weird how the new Smash-Logo-Cutting-Open thing resembled how the BOXBOY series looks. It could just be a coincidence, but the way it looks just makes me think of Qbby and his games.

39C504B3-0FB9-43DB-A347-7418CD36AC59.jpeg

It just feels like you could zoom in and see Qbby doing his thing.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
So, according to the Character Graveyard Post, Qbby (along with Ashley and Shadow) have NOT besn found as assist trophies in the game yet.
While it could mean he’s not in the game all together, it could also mean that he’s playable character.

Plus, I found it very weird how the new Smash-Logo-Cutting-Open thing resembled how the BOXBOY series looks. It could just be a coincidence, but the way it looks just makes me think of Qbby and his games.

View attachment 148306

It just feels like you could zoom in and see Qbby doing his thing.
OK, This is now how I want Qbby's reveal trailer to go.
the smash logo cuts open. signifying the start of a new reveal trailer. but then it just sort of freezes there. a few moments later you can see a tiny little Qbby walking along inside the white space, the camera zooms in and he makes a trail of boxes to help him across the gap and onto the right side of the screen where he finds box versions of some smash veterans waiting for him. they lead him through a door and into a 3D smash bros stage where everyone else looks normal again now.
then comes some gameplay footage of Qbby kicking butt (maybe a scene of him fighting against or alongside his hero Kirby.) before ending with a scene of him and Kirby doing a little victory dance together.

Last edited:

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I looked at the Smash Website, and so far, I can’t find any traces of a Qbby assist trophy. I’ll tell y’all if i find anything.

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
Hey, so my friend and fellow BOXBOY fan sent me this link this morning:
http://www.uniqlo.com/jp/hacoboy/sp/index.html

Apparently, Qbby has a minigame post BYEBYEBOXBOY, on the Japanese shopping app Uniqlo. I recommend adding this to Qbby’s resume in the original post.

Also, this can be either good news or bad news. This could mean that the to be continued thing was referring to this, lowering Qbby’s chances of a new game and a playable appearance.

On the other hand, it could also support the to be continued thing to show people that the BOXBOY series isn’t truly dead, and that there is light at the end of the tunnel, this minigame working as a sort of “you’re almost there!” flicker.

Y’all can interpret it the way you want.

Last edited:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
a quick bit of Digital Sleuthing seems to tell me that this minigame came after Bye-Bye BOXBOY! but before the "To Be Continued" video so I'd say it does more to help the future of the series than hurt it. and shows that they kept working on things with Qbby even after his "final" game. and shortly after that they implied there was more to come.
either way this is really neat and just add's to Qbby's already impressive resume.
EDIT: OP UPDATED! :)

Looking into the Minigame more it looks like it was added around August last year. and was a Tie-In for the BOXBOY! line of apparel from UNIQLO. you could play the minigame to earn coupons that could be used to get BOXBOY merchandise such as keyrings and tote bags.

Last edited:

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
a quick bit of Digital Sleuthing seems to tell me that this minigame came after Bye-Bye BOXBOY! but before the "To Be Continued" video so I'd say it does more to help the future of the series than hurt it. and shows that they kept working on things with Qbby even after his "final" game. and shortly after that they implied there was more to come.
Ah! That’s great; there is hope!

Looking into the Minigame more it looks like it was added around August last year. and was a Tie-In for the BOXBOY! line of apparel from UNIQLO. you could play the minigame to earn coupons that could be used to get BOXBOY merchandise such as keyrings and tote bags.

i want that white shirt :0

When my friend first sent me the link, I had actually thought it was for a mobile BOXBOY game, seeing as how Hal made Part-Time UFO. While I’m saddened to see it’s not, it’s great that he’s gotten a spin-off type game.

Would this mean Qbby has four games under his belt, or does he still have three?

Top Bottom