• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

an attempt to grow ssb64's community

P D

Smash Ace
Anyway I have been thinking about this topic for a while now, and I think a good way to grow the community is to get a few people that will commentate matches and share them on YouTube. We’ve all seen the cool melee commentaries and if we had something like that I think that it would help out the ssb64 community a lot.

So I would like to get some feedback on this topic from everybody.
Also if people think this is a good idea we would need commentators, I’d volunteer, but we’d probably need more than just one. If you want to commentate you would need:

•a mic
•a good sense for techniques, players, and game play
•a clear voice
•willingness to commentate

And I guess if we got people to commentate we could set up an email and have people send their matches to that email and we could commentate it lol.
If we got this going I think a lot more people would record matches and increase the ssb64 video count over all.

So give me some feedback and maybe volunteer yourself if you are interested!

Purtle

Smash Journeyman
I think that would be awesome.

I wouldn't be a good commentator though. I'd help spread the channel though if it was created.

Kaname

Smash Rookie
i agree with purtle it would be awesome and i cant commentate either im a quite person

P D

Smash Ace
do we have anyone that would be good at commentating?

dandan

Smash Lord
you should do dual commentaries, hearing just one person speak can become a little boring.
i think you should do cross atlantic usa with euro commentary. i would not mind to try, though i have a slight accent, i think my english is on par.
could be funny.

Smash Lord
Do you think you could find some kind of tech people? One of the things I hate about watching these videos on youtube is that nobody does stuff like fixing the sound/graphical quality problems. I know its a hassle, but it's probably a good idea.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
Feature pj64k 0.15 or do Pj64kVE so they can pick there own GFX without crying about it crashing.

Also don't feature galaxy64.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Though I don't completely understand what we're doing, I'd be very willing to commentate. I've commentated on Brawl matches in the past during livestreams.
I'd love to do the same for SSB64. I've been told I have a real "radio voice".:)

malva00

Smash Master
if you guys record some good online matches with some good 2 person commentating then I'll put them on my youtube if I think they are good enough for my youtube

in fact, you don't even need the commentating you can just send me online or console matches if you think they are good enough

P D

Smash Ace
if you guys record some good online matches with some good 2 person commentating then I'll put them on my youtube if I think they are good enough for my youtube

in fact, you don't even need the commentating you can just send me online or console matches if you think they are good enough
we'll probably make a channel of our own for the majority, but we might send a few your way. it would be nice if you could link our channel in the discription boxs of the videos we send you though

malva00

Smash Master
we'll probably make a channel of our own for the majority, but we might send a few your way. it would be nice if you could link our channel in the discription boxs of the videos we send you though
k keep in mind I take all online vids down after a while

I'll link this channel in my channel description if it's good enough

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Commentary would be cute.

Maybe a british commentator? I like their accents and unique vocab.

Skeletom

Smash Journeyman
Cheeseball sounds like attenborough :D
and the vocab he uses doesn't help.
"o my yes, a double spike, how fun"

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Tom is obviously jealous.

I have an okay mic but 2 man recording would be pretty hard since everyone who I play either knows jack-all about the game or is too focused to do live commentary.

DMoogle

A$
I'm personally really not interested in commentary, and I doubt that it will do anything to help the increase the size of our player base.

JMO.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Well, I think that the majority of the melee and brawl community (two large-ish potential player pools) seem to think that 64 is 'lol i got a hit therefore i get a stock'. Commentary from decent players could reveal some more technical and meaningful aspects of the game.

P D

Smash Ace
i just want to clear up a few things.

i think a dual commentary would be much more exciting than just one person talking.

we wouldnt be doing a live commentary normally (as in as the match was being play), it would be after it was played. maybe a few times for big tourneys we could go on a live stream and commentate.

cheeseball's videos are okay, but nothing eye catching. id kind of like to showcase some of ssb64 best, combos, di, techs and so on.

and my personal opinoin is that id rather comentate someone elses matches than my own for the majority of the videos, its easy to talk about other people in this case, becasue you dont want to "talk" about yourself and come off as bragging or something

Purtle

Smash Journeyman
My idea of growin the smash 64 community is to have tourneys and get as many people to attend. Seems to be workin somewhat.
Well that is obvious. Wish there were tourneys around my area for 64. I have done a decent amount of looking and i can't seem to find any. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

I think the point of this is to get the fact across that SSB64 is done competitively, not just melee and brawl. I would assume that more people know about melee and brawl being competitive than 64, not only because they are more recent games but because there is way more on youtube and other sites for those games. If more people learn about 64 being competitive that could potentially get more people to play 64 and therefore, have larger turnouts for tourneys. Of course, that is highly hopeful thinking, but hey, why not be positive? Again, correct me if I'm thinking of it the wrong way PD.

i just want to clear up a few things.

i think a dual commentary would be much more exciting than just one person talking.

we wouldnt be doing a live commentary normally (as in as the match was being play), it would be after it was played. maybe a few times for big tourneys we could go on a live stream and commentate.

cheeseball's videos are okay, but nothing eye catching. id kind of like to showcase some of ssb64 best, combos, di, techs and so on.

and my personal opinoin is that id rather comentate someone elses matches than my own for the majority of the videos, its easy to talk about other people in this case, becasue you dont want to "talk" about yourself and come off as bragging or something
I pretty much agree with everything you said. IT all makes sense, that was the idea I sort of had in my mind as well.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Cheeseball's accent is god. I am building an altar to it and will worship it as soon as I can find some virgins to sacrifice (Anyone on here got a spare sister?)

I mean, seriously, "Heah's a lesson, kids, nevah detonate a bomb whoil yer next to yer tahget."

I'd be willing to commentate, but I don't live near anyone, so it'd have to be an internet collaboration thing. I've tried it a couple of times with some friendlies my friends and I played, and it turned out OK.

Imainlowtier

Smash Cadet
Sounds good, but the execution is what counts
I'd spread word of the channel, not a good speaker/ much into technical detail of 64

Nephiros

Smash Ace
Livestreaming it and spamming the channel all over the internet is the way to go, have some regular show and just upload the streams to youtube if need be. As for commentary, entertainment value seems to be more important than knowledge of the game if you want to attract players, cause it's not like ssb is that hard to understand anyways.

Anyways, cool stuff and good luck with that

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Yah livestreaming some of the top online players and posting the link in the melee/brawl tournament discussions or video discussions would be the way to go. Obviously someone would need to commentate.

Something like:

Nintendude vs Not Frogles

sHEERmADNESS commentating. :)

xx0EleMenT0xx

Smash Apprentice
I think commentating is a great idea to grow the community. You should also try to get some popular
melee and brawl commentators to commentate, that will probably get alot of the fans of those games
playing 64 when they see how technical it really is.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Anyone have info on the technical details of how to commentate? I have a capture card but I don't know how to record audio over it. If I can get the details figured out I will try to commentate when I play on console next, just to see how it sounds.

xx0EleMenT0xx

Smash Apprentice
The problem is most of them know close to absolutely nothing about 64 >_>
Don't quote me on this because I don't play melee, but isn't melee almost identical to ssb64? I mean with an exception to wavedashing, moonwalking, and some other technical things. To me
really all smash games have the same moves in a way.

dandan

Smash Lord
Don't quote me on this because I don't play melee, but isn't melee almost identical to ssb64? I mean with an exception to wavedashing, moonwalking, and some other technical things. To me
really all smash games have the same moves in a way.
no

10nononoes

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Lol
Yes i agree with xx0EleMenT0xx, also Melee players arent ********, brawl players aren't ******** aswell i suppose, they will get it easily.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I like "X player is gettin' off" because it'd be happening every 20 seconds in this game ¬.¬

Top Bottom