• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

an attempt to grow ssb64's community

Dan$inyi

Smash Apprentice
Watching the melee videos with commentary on youtube is what got me into competitive smash.
Recording commentary on 64 vids would be a great way to get more people to join the community
and it would also make the videos more fun to watch..not that theyre not fun to watch already.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
I just made a new thread in the Pacific West Regional zone calling all Smash 64 Norcal players who would be down for friendlies/smashfests/tourneys. I got some responses, so that might be a good way to grow the community :D

P D

Smash Ace
ok a few more things.

what email should we have people send clips to? i was thinking g mail because they have a 20 mb limit instead of a 10

what should the name of the channel be?

can i get a few solid volenteers for comentating?

server admins would you be willing to advertise for the cause? maybe say something like " send your clips to so and so email" or i could make a thread for what we're looking for as far as clips go and you could link to that.

dandan

Smash Lord
i would def like to try dual commentating with an american player, i think it can be funny.

Purtle

Smash Journeyman
Name suggestions.

SeriousSmash64
CompetitiveSmash64

Crappy ideas, but i only thought for like 30 seconds so meh.

andrewajt62

Smash Journeyman
I'd commentate, I have a 700 subscriber youtube channel where I do commentary video's for other games, and I'd love to do a smash commentary. I'm not the best player, but I know the advanced techniques and such and could commentate about the player's use of them

Battlecow

Play to Win
^see now, I think we should have really legit players commentating. If someone who (no offense, andrewajt, IDK how good you are) isn't good and has only a basic knowledge of the game commentates, we get something that's educational for the noobs, but boring and annoying to the really good players. For this reason, I'm withdrawing my name from commentator-volunteership. I could do a good job on mid-to-sorta high level matches, but if, say, frogles and Fireblaster went at it, I wouldn't be able to catch everything that was going on.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Advanced techniques aren't really the centrepiece - successful teleport rests or bomb recoveries (Link) might be something to ooh at, but saying that someone's z-cancels are fantastic isn't really worthwhile.

Things to look at are good techchases, good reads, risky or interesting edgeguards, unconventional combos, environment combos, etc and how they're put into the player's overall game. Sometimes even apparently amazing stuff (to a newb) like tent combos are incredibly standard fare to the competitive player, so you have to strike a balance. On the other hand, apparently unremarkable things (gauged pivots, that extra jump with Kirby to bait the opponent into a missed attack) are something that one should draw attention to.

You could just go the Melee route and add in background history and the like.

andrewajt62

Smash Journeyman
Well excuse me >.>, I meant that I am an experianced player and could commentate on the right things. But I suppose I'll just step aside let the " legit players" commentate instead.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Advanced techniques aren't really the centrepiece - successful teleport rests or bomb recoveries (Link) might be something to ooh at, but saying that someone's z-cancels are fantastic isn't really worthwhile.

Things to look at are good techchases, good reads, risky or interesting edgeguards, unconventional combos, environment combos, etc and how they're put into the player's overall game. Sometimes even apparently amazing stuff (to a newb) like tent combos are incredibly standard fare to the competitive player, so you have to strike a balance. On the other hand, apparently unremarkable things (gauged pivots, that extra jump with Kirby to bait the opponent into a missed attack) are something that one should draw attention to.

You could just go the Melee route and add in background history and the like.
This. No offense intended, andrewajt, and I'm sure you'd be a commentator par excellence in most respects, but I'd sooner have someone very, very good do the channel commentating, and I got the impression from your comments (again, I've never played you, so I have no way of knowing) that you aren't that good.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
This. No offense intended, andrewajt, and I'm sure you'd be a commentator par excellence in most respects, but I'd sooner have someone very, very good do the channel commentating, and I got the impression from your comments (again, I've never played you, so I have no way of knowing) that you aren't that good.
assuming the worst isn't going to get new people to play the game either

Zen Yore

Smash Ace
Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth
I wonder if we can just commentate on good, already-posted videos...
this is a lame idea, almost all the good console matches recorded in NA are from malva's channel, and he's got
hundreds of videos.
So why choose the "X vs Y" video instead of the "X vs Z" video, it is obviously impossible to commentate on all those videos.

Edit : After reading my post, I'm not too sure if anyone will actually understand what I'm trying to say.
Edit2: replace X by Isai and Y/Z by other players

P D

Smash Ace
id kind of like to discuss software too.

i think skype is top notch for voice quality but im open for new ideas

i have a something called "nero" that i can use to record specificly sound and that is really good quality aswell

firo

Smash Ace
I'd definitely be willing to do some commentating if the community feels that I have a sufficient background to do so. I have been playing this game for a long while, so my knowledge is pretty robust. I also enjoy speaking.

Regardless, this would definitely be referenced to on the server if it picks up steam - the more potential viewers, the better.

P D

Smash Ace
i made a gmail:

ssb64clips@gmail.com

can i get some admins to advertise this email?

please submit them with the following info:

who vs who
your email
singles or teams
and anything else you think is note worthy

note*

please try to make these gameplays as fun and intense as possible

P D

Smash Ace
i do go on but a lot of times i dont see invites from people. but just now i see like 20 LOL. they just randomly dont come to me

Top Bottom