• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Amiibo General Thread - Complete Smash Bros. Set Now Avaliable!

How do you feel about Amiibos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I would like to organize some Amiibo get togethers with anyone in my area of Central Florida. Tampa/Orlando region. I live smack dab in the middle of both cities. Anyone interested PM me. I need to unleash my minions onto the world not just each other. I love my cute smiley faced minions of death and destruction.
If you bring it to Southern Florida, I am totally in.
Or if I make it up there via trirail, then great.
And I would absolutely come on a 2 hour railride for a Smash event. Though I think I'd be scared to take my amiibo.

I don't understand what you mean by this. Right now I am working on restoring my reputation on various sites. I am tired of being mocked with Rosalina ever since I saw that stupid hentai picture r34 directed towards me. I am putting an end to it plain and simple.
You most assuredly are not attempting to rebuild your reputation, as you are still inciting as much frustration in others as you possibly can. Though, your reputation was always just that.
If you want to continue this, PM me.

*Didnt think there would be no posts in 15 minutes; my bad on the double*

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I ended up getting a Link Amiibo for some reason. Mostly because I stumbled upon a defective one, so I bought that to sell and another to keep.

So now I have Kirby and Link, waiting for the chance to preorder Ness and Pac-Man before someone buys fifty of them.

Still waiting for Olimar, Mr. Game & Watch, and Duck Hunt to show up eventually.

:4pacman::4ness::4gaw::4olimar::4duckhunt::4kirby::4link::4falcon:
I guess I should try to get Captain Falcon as well, since I have Link.
Meta Knight and King Dedede are so tempting, though.

Since there was that whole name fiasco going on, I'll share mine:
:4kirby:"Kirby" default costume.
:4link:"Link" default costume.

Imaginative, I know.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I don't understand what you mean by this. Right now I am working on restoring my reputation on various sites. I am tired of being mocked with Rosalina ever since I saw that stupid hentai picture r34 directed towards me. I am putting an end to it plain and simple.
just a heads up
I have 32 shulks ordered. I am going to try to get more.
openly saying this isn't going to help you restore your reputation, just hinder it even more

Purio

Smash Cadet
Here in NJ (in the US) my GameStop sent a text today stating that Bowser will be in and ready to pick up on Friday the 30th. Just Bowser. I called to confirm and the woman at the store stated that it seems like only Bowser will be in and ready to go on Friday. Sheik, Shulk, Ike, Dedede and Toon Link will be available on February 13th. Sonic and Megaman will be available on February 20th. Odd spread of dates... But okay, I'll take it. They still wont accept Shulk preorders and said one per customer, first come first serve. I have all the others reserved though... Since the 13th is a Friday, I'll be working and can't go early in the morning for opening... Damn. Shulk is going for $27 on eBay now...

I feel a little more relieved that I bought Rosalina, Meta Knight, and Lucario all together for $50 on eBay when I saw the deal. Since their respective stores aren't taking preorders, the staff isn't too knowledgeable on the products, and the street dates can be broken... Saves me the piece of mind that I wont have to go crazy hunting... That and the risk of them sky rocketing in price.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I really want Nintendo to make a sandbox Amiibo game for Wii U. It's just logical progression! That's the main use for Skylanders and Infinity, and although I don't give crap about any of those characters, I don't deny that the premise of the Skylanders or Infinity games would excite me with Nintendo characters!

What other kinds of games would it be like, I wonder? I imagine it would be somewhat like Tomodachi Life, on one hand, but it probably should have a battle mode, too. Scan in an Amiibo to add it to your "Nintendo World," and use the Amiibo to write your progress to each character. Bring Amiibos (say, teams of six?) to other people's Wii U to have a battle royale, or whatever. There could be an online mode!

It'd sell gangbusters. You want to make the Wii U sell? That's how you rope in the casual crowd. Amiibo are already popular, but they don't do a whole lot, per se. Making a sandbox game for Amiibo would blow the market wide open, I think.

Mariotehplumber

Banned via Warnings
NNID
JohnMTP
just a heads up
openly saying this isn't going to help you restore your reputation, just hinder it even more
How exactly does it hinder it if I am telling the truth? There is nothing offensive about this claim at all.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
How exactly does it hinder it if I am telling the truth? There is nothing offensive about this claim at all.
People can easily see others buying amiibo in bulk as really rude.
Especially for a character who probably won't be restocked like Shulk.

It certainly doesn't help that you literally just said you don't even care much for Xenoblade either.

Meowser

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChronoRabbit
Eew, the nose and teeth are creepy! *throws money at the screen anyway*

Meowser

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChronoRabbit
So they restocked their wave 3 in my local store, and now they have Sheik, Ike, Toon Link and Bowser all over the place. Still no Rosalina. Contemplating to give in to the scam-artists on Amazon and buy her for 20 bucks...I mean it's better than paying 50, at least.

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
Amiibo scalping is kicking people below the belt. It's disrespectful and cheap I wish the worst upon them all

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
Lol, don't worry; it's okay. XD
Did you preorder from the GameStop website itself? Or by actually going to the store?

I'm not really interested in any other amiibos except for Robin, Lucina, Ness, Dark Pit and MAYBE Palutena. It's sad though that they probably will all be extremely rare. Dang it, why do my mains have to have such scarce merchandise? If only if Nintendo made more amiibo or merchandise of these characters in general, I'd be having a much easier time. =P
I preordered online, and I believe it said it would be available for in store pick up,

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Two reasons really.
1) People don't like those that buy multiple of anything with plans on selling it for a profit, most people consider this to be very low and rude since it is directly or indirectly forcing them to have to buy it at a higher price if they want it when the possibility remains that they could have gotten it for a more affordable price had you, and others, not bought up all or most of the supply. This is why people wish sites would implement a 1 per Customer rule on most high profile items, which amiibo certainly count as.
2) People don't really care for your generally unaccepting attitude towards characters you don't like or their fans already, so stating how many you have when people are left wanting isn't quite helping your case any.

Last edited:

EvKem

Smash Rookie
That Best Buy In Alabama With All The Amiibo
NNID
EvKem52
So, disregarding previous events, do you think it would be worth buying two Rosalina amiibo (I have a low amiibo hunter population in my area) and selling the extra to attempt to make enough money to pay for the other one?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
So, disregarding previous events, do you think it would be worth buying two Rosalina amiibo (I have a low amiibo hunter population in my area) and selling the extra to attempt to make enough money to pay for the other one?
I don't quite understand what you mean.
Do you mean buying the two Rosalina (for $13 or so each) and then selling one for $26?

It would probably be worth it from a monetary standpoint, but keep in mind that people don't tend to look to highly on people who buy things and then sell them for a higher price.

Honestly though, I wish I had even just a single Rosalina amiibo for my collection, so I could set her with my Peach amiibo and eventually my Luigi one whenever my brother gets to shipping it to me.

EvKem

Smash Rookie
NNID
EvKem52
I don't quite understand what you mean.
Do you mean buying the two Rosalina (for $13 or so each) and then selling one for $26?

It would probably be worth it from a monetary standpoint, but keep in mind that people don't tend to look to highly on people who buy things and then sell them for a higher price.

Honestly though, I wish I had even just a single Rosalina amiibo for my collection, so I could set her with my Peach amiibo and eventually my Luigi one whenever my brother gets to shipping it to me.
That is what I mean. I truly do dislike scalpers, however there is a very low amount of amiibo hunters near me; I was able to find Pit and Captain Falcon VERY easily. So I feel that if they have, say, 5, I would buy two. Of course, OF COURSE, if there were simply two or three I would just buy one for myself, as Rosalina is probably my favorite Mario character.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
That is what I mean. I truly do dislike scalpers, however there is a very low amount of amiibo hunters near me; I was able to find Pit and Captain Falcon VERY easily. So I feel that if they have, say, 5, I would buy two. Of course, OF COURSE, if there were simply two or three I would just buy one for myself, as Rosalina is probably my favorite Mario character.
I can understand that.
If you put Rosalina up for a reasonable price I think most people would understand.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think selling something you bought for a profit is fine if you are still selling it for a fairly reasonable price. That's just basic economics. Yes, even the reasonable price part. You're more likely to make SOME kind of money if your price is competitive, anyway.

Selling something for an ABSURDLY high price is greedy and definitely questionable, but with us all being human beings, it's not like I don't understand that. However, you are less likely to sell this way, and your buying of the product might just turn into you holding onto it forever, when someone else could have bought it at retail price.

Going out of your way to buy something as part of some mission to get revenge on a fictional character is where I draw the line, especially when you group real people (i.e. the fans of the character) into it.

However, there is one point I want to bring up in relation to Amiibo reselling - the difference in value between currencies, and the difference in prices of Amiibo at retail.

You see, Amiibos are more expensive in Europe compared to the US. The cheapest I can get Amiibos is Littlewoods Ireland, at €12 ($13.60). However, they only sell 5 characters - Mario, DK, Peach, Link, and Pikachu. So they won't be my regular Amiibo seller. And if I wanted to re-sell, they don't have any Amiibos worth reselling.

Next cheapest place is Argos. They sell everyone but Wave 1 at €13.99 ($15.86). Wave 1 sells for €14.99 ($16.99), and Smyths Ireland also sells all Amiibos at that price. Finally, GameStop Ireland sells them at €16.99 ($19.26).

I once bought Pit and Wii Fit Trainer for my friend in New York. The former was a Christmas present for him, the latter was a Christmas present he could not find to give to his friend. He only pays for WFT and the shipping, but for the purpose of the point I am making, I will pretend he paid for Pit too.

Pit was purchased in Smyths for €14.99, and WFT in Argos for €13.99 (before the price for Wave 1 went up there). Overall, €28.98 if my math isn't rusty. Since he lives in the US though, there are shipping fees. Total cost of shipping was €7.25. So now the overall total comes to €36.22.

How much is that in USD? $41.05, for just these two Amiibos. So, that's the LOWEST I could have sold those for without making a loss. It sounds like an absurd price to you in the US, but it wouldn't be me scalping - selling them for $41.05 would simply make me a return. No profit. If I just wanted to make small profit of say, €10, then the price becomes €46.22. Or $52.39.

So yeah, not everyone selling Amiibos for a high price on eBay is doing it for insane profit. Some people might have high prices because that's just how currency exchange works out. Nintendo, for some strange reason, decided to sell Amiibos for a higher price outside of the US (or maybe it was just the retailers), and instead of trying to adjust things to how the currency values differed. Ideally, everywhere would sell them for €12 over here, as that is very close to being on par with the US MSRP.

Kornaki

Smash Cadet
So yeah, not everyone selling Amiibos for a high price on eBay is doing it for insane profit. Some people might have high prices because that's just how currency exchange works out. Nintendo, for some strange reason, decided to sell Amiibos for a higher price outside of the US (or maybe it was just the retailers), and instead of trying to adjust things to how the currency values differed. Ideally, everywhere would sell them for €12 over here, as that is very close to being on par with the US MSRP.
This ignores shipping costs, taxes and tariffs, and the sheer fact that if a company can sell a product for more in a certain location, it is going to. I mean, Toys R Us and Target sell their amiibos for different prices and they're three blocks away from each other here, why would they be the same price in Ireland?

EvKem

Smash Rookie
NNID
EvKem52
I think selling something you bought for a profit is fine if you are still selling it for a fairly reasonable price. That's just basic economics. Yes, even the reasonable price part. You're more likely to make SOME kind of money if your price is competitive, anyway.

Selling something for an ABSURDLY high price is greedy and definitely questionable, but with us all being human beings, it's not like I don't understand that. However, you are less likely to sell this way, and your buying of the product might just turn into you holding onto it forever, when someone else could have bought it at retail price.

Going out of your way to buy something as part of some mission to get revenge on a fictional character is where I draw the line, especially when you group real people (i.e. the fans of the character) into it.

However, there is one point I want to bring up in relation to Amiibo reselling - the difference in value between currencies, and the difference in prices of Amiibo at retail.

You see, Amiibos are more expensive in Europe compared to the US. The cheapest I can get Amiibos is Littlewoods Ireland, at €12 ($13.60). However, they only sell 5 characters - Mario, DK, Peach, Link, and Pikachu. So they won't be my regular Amiibo seller. And if I wanted to re-sell, they don't have any Amiibos worth reselling.

Next cheapest place is Argos. They sell everyone but Wave 1 at €13.99 ($15.86). Wave 1 sells for €14.99 ($16.99), and Smyths Ireland also sells all Amiibos at that price. Finally, GameStop Ireland sells them at €16.99 ($19.26).

I once bought Pit and Wii Fit Trainer for my friend in New York. The former was a Christmas present for him, the latter was a Christmas present he could not find to give to his friend. He only pays for WFT and the shipping, but for the purpose of the point I am making, I will pretend he paid for Pit too.

Pit was purchased in Smyths for €14.99, and WFT in Argos for €13.99 (before the price for Wave 1 went up there). Overall, €28.98 if my math isn't rusty. Since he lives in the US though, there are shipping fees. Total cost of shipping was €7.25. So now the overall total comes to €36.22.

How much is that in USD? $41.05, for just these two Amiibos. So, that's the LOWEST I could have sold those for without making a loss. It sounds like an absurd price to you in the US, but it wouldn't be me scalping - selling them for $41.05 would simply make me a return. No profit. If I just wanted to make small profit of say, €10, then the price becomes €46.22. Or $52.39.

Right. You make a good argument. I would, in an ideal world, ask for about $25 without shipping. However, this would ideally have to be sold after release, and she would also have to end up being quite difficult to find on store shelves. If not, I could also simply return her (if another deal I have does not need to happen) and break fairly even, considering I still have the figure I bartered for in the first place. I also realize that this point may have gone on far longer than necessary. Thanks for the help, guys.

Last edited:

FyrianFate

Smash Apprentice
Yay, I finally preordered Shulk, and got Megaman and Sonic while I was there.

And I learned something interesting. The french version of Gamestop, placed in the middle of Paris, in the most modern mall of the city, got... 4 Rosalina amiibos...
If that isn't proof of ridiculous management I dont know what is.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This ignores shipping costs, taxes and tariffs, and the sheer fact that if a company can sell a product for more in a certain location, it is going to. I mean, Toys R Us and Target sell their amiibos for different prices and they're three blocks away from each other here, why would they be the same price in Ireland?
That's the thing though - Amiibos are not that hot in Ireland. I bought Marth, Villager, and 2 WFTs nearly two months after release, and Ireland barely got any of them to begin with.

So it isn't a matter of them "being able" to sell them for a higher price. Because they are not selling that well across the board, there are very few people dedicated to collecting them. And I'm willing to bet part of that has to do with the price, especially at GameStop.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Oh wow, according to my local "hobby" site the rare amiibos, Villager, Wii Fit and Marth are all scheduled for a re-release, and in Denmark should be restocked around June 5th.

Eat that scalpers!

I guess, with the release of Project Steam, and re-release of Marth they also threw Villager and Wii Fit with it too <3 Heck even Lil Mac

Last edited:

EvKem

Smash Rookie
NNID
EvKem52
Oh wow, according to my local "hobby" site the rare amiibos, Villager, Wii Fit and Marth are all scheduled for a re-release, and in Denmark should be restocked around June 5th.

Eat that scalpers!

I guess, with the release of Project Steam, and re-release of Marth they also threw Villager and Wii Fit with it too <3 Heck even Lil Mac
I think that the addition of Mac, Villager, and WFT are a mistake. The site must have caught news of the Marth reprint and assumed that these four rares would all be thrown onto the remake train. However, Marth is the only one that is going to be reprinted as of now, and this is, once again, because of his newly announced functionality with the new 3DS release, Codename S.T.E.A.M. Do not expect the others to return (at least in the Smash Bros. Line), especially Little Mac. Because it seems that they just made like 10. Here you go, here you go, here you go, okay, thats it, all gone.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
I think that the addition of Mac, Villager, and WFT are a mistake.
Because it seems that they just made like 10. Here you go, here you go, here you go, okay, thats it, all gone.
On the other hand you've got to remember that Nintendo is a "Family company", so the demand on them could trigger some rerelease on certain figures, or a 2nd wave of production. Even Sakurai couldn't find those he wanted so I think Nintendo is aware of the popularity of the figures.

But you might be right too, time to talk to them

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Well, talk about coincidences..the day I mention my worry about pre-order cancellations of the Rosalina amiibo is the same day the one my friend ordered for me arrives.

Now I just have to pre-order Lucina's amiibo the moment it shows up online.

Last edited:

EvKem

Smash Rookie
NNID
EvKem52
On the other hand you've got to remember that Nintendo is a "Family company", so the demand on them could trigger some rerelease on certain figures, or a 2nd wave of production. Even Sakurai couldn't find those he wanted so I think Nintendo is aware of the popularity of the figures.

But you might be right too, time to talk to them
This is true. While both alternatives and hints have been apparent, I just don't want anybody to get their hopes up. This new release date the site has come out with DOES catch my intrigue; for anybody not wanting to look back, it was the 5th of June. I'll have to do my searching. Just don't depend on a rerelease, that's all. I myself am missing Little Mac and the Villager, so I admit another run at them would be nice, I just don't see it happening very much.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
Guysguysguys. I just ordered Wii Fit Trainer, Ike, Sheik and Luigi. They're at a reasonable price on Amazon UK.

I'll be off to Smyths on 20th February (release date in Europe) before opening hours to hopefully pick up Shulk, 'cause hot damn, does he look good.

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
Eurgh, I want so many amiibo. This would be fine if they were stocked well because it'd mean I could just buy one every couple weeks like I planned to. Do you guys think any of the amiibo won't ever be reproduced? I'd hate to miss out on a character I love because I didn't buy early.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I know the feeling, @ Dirty Duck Dirty Duck , I only have $50-100 a month to work off of and I still want to get certain games and of course there's the Renaissance Festival next month that I want to save some for so I can maybe buy some replica weapons there (like the Master Sword I got 2 years ago) since its a lot cheaper then getting them off eBay and I get to check their quality in person before purchase.

Last edited:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Pit was purchased in Smyths
I picked up my Kirby at a Smiths Marketplace (A competitor to a Walmart Supercenter).
It's amazing how different things can be in different parts of the world.
"Let's go to Smiths" said here means something completely different, yet Amiibo can be bought in both locations.

EvKem

Smash Rookie
NNID
EvKem52
Eurgh, I want so many amiibo. This would be fine if they were stocked well because it'd mean I could just buy one every couple weeks like I planned to. Do you guys think any of the amiibo won't ever be reproduced? I'd hate to miss out on a character I love because I didn't buy early.
I know that quite a few are one and done, sadly. There is still faith for the Fire Emblem characters IMO, but others like Shulk and WFT aren't likely coming back. If you find a rare amiibo in a store, or just one you like, take note of the stock. Are there several? Than take the one you have and put it somewhere else until you have the proper funds. If you aren't or can't come back within a day or two, DON'T DO THIS! But I mean, say if you left your money at home or are planning to come back fairly soon (or maybe a buddy who isn't with you wants it), set is aside/behind something until you come back to make sure you get one. It is fairly sneaky, though, and I imagine people giving me or other people with the idea flack about it.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Nah, I think that's a tried and true method for getting things you want. Its not really something underhanded to make money off of it or something like that. Its just trying to hide something that you know you want..many people have done it for ages.

Oh, and in regards to the Rosalina amiibo..now that I've got her unboxed and set up alongside Zelda, Peach, Link, and Samus..I have to say, she's huge..by far both the tallest and widest one I have now.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Is that legit mariotehplumber?

Lol guy whom ever has that much disposable income and wastes it on amiibos can never recover from that.

Best of luck to your future goals of 2015.

EvKem

Smash Rookie
NNID
EvKem52
Oh, and in regards to the Rosalina amiibo..now that I've got her unboxed and set up alongside Zelda, Peach, Link, and Samus..I have to say, she's huge..by far both the tallest and widest one I have now.
If/once you get Ike, Donkey Kong, or King Dedede you will realize that she isn't THAT bad on size. Although I do concur that she is one of the larger ones...But don't tell her I said that.

Top Bottom