• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Amiibo General Thread - Complete Smash Bros. Set Now Avaliable!

How do you feel about Amiibos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I wish I had a good camera. I had a pretty interesting display concept going a while back that I would have loved to show.

I basically arranged the Amiibo into two rival factions that faced off against each other, with a few "instigators" in the middle.

I thought it was cute. :sheep:

Once I get them all, I'll have to take a picture and show you guys.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Thing is, beyond the commons, they don't sell that much over here. I bought Ike and Sheik from my local Smyths, and they had three of each when I went there, meaning they had two left after my purchase. They still have them in stock. Low stock, of course, but they are there. Probably the exact same two. I bought mine two weeks ago. If this was the US, those would have been gone day one.

I'm sure more people over here would buy these if they were cheaper (Marth, WFT, and Villager sold out likely because it was around Christmas time and people had vouchers to blow), but as it is now, it's only gonna be people like me who just happen to be the odd one out in Ireland.

What I hate, is that Irish retailers list Little Mac and Rosalina, yet never get her. And now I am gonna be worried about one figure just not making it over here every wave, and it's annoying.

It was also especially confusing in Rosalina's case - people in Ireland DO know who she is. Certainly more than say, Sheik or Ike. Heck, the majority of Irish players I randomly see in MK8 online play as Rosalina (I can only recall two times were they weren't, and 5 times were they did play as her). My cousins, back in the MKWii days, specifically had me loan them my copy of Super Mario Galaxy JUST so they could unlock Rosalina easier. And the big 3D Mario games sell here, so people have played Galaxy. I was so shocked and upset to find out she wasn't being properly sold here.

At least with Little Mac I understood why (even though I still disagree). But with Rosalina, there was no excuse.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Thing is, beyond the commons, they don't sell that much over here. I bought Ike and Sheik from my local Smyths, and they had three of each when I went there, meaning they had two left after my purchase. They still have them in stock. Low stock, of course, but they are there. Probably the exact same two. I bought mine two weeks ago. If this was the US, those would have been gone day one.

I'm sure more people over here would buy these if they were cheaper (Marth, WFT, and Villager sold out likely because it was around Christmas time and people had vouchers to blow), but as it is now, it's only gonna be people like me who just happen to be the odd one out in Ireland.

What I hate, is that Irish retailers list Little Mac and Rosalina, yet never get her. And now I am gonna be worried about one figure just not making it over here every wave, and it's annoying.

It was also especially confusing in Rosalina's case - people in Ireland DO know who she is. Certainly more than say, Sheik or Ike. Heck, the majority of Irish players I randomly see in MK8 online play as Rosalina (I can only recall two times were they weren't, and 5 times were they did play as her). My cousins, back in the MKWii days, specifically had me loan them my copy of Super Mario Galaxy JUST so they could unlock Rosalina easier. And the big 3D Mario games sell here, so people have played Galaxy. I was so shocked and upset to find out she wasn't being properly sold here.

At least with Little Mac I understood why (even though I still disagree). But with Rosalina, there was no excuse.
The rarity of characters might be based on this question:

"How likely are you to play as this character in an upcoming game (that is not a party/crossover game)?"

Can't say I agree with this philosophy at all, since most of the cult favorites tend to be characters that aren't big stars. By definition, if you're a "big star," you can't really be a "cult favorite." Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Pikachu... these are big stars, and super common. It makes sense. And yet, Rosalina has a strong fan following in the West and still managed to be fairly rare. But are you likely to play as Rosalina in a game? Well, as you said, MK8 features Rosalina! Mario Party 10 will, as well. I dunno.

I suppose the philosophy behind the question, if I'm right, would be to use Amiibo to sell games that otherwise wouldn't be huge sellers. However, if that were true, you'd think Shulk wouldn't be one of the rarest Amiibo of all!

My theory just cannot comport with how Lucario turned out, though. Lucario is a popular Pokémon, especially with the younger players. Lucario is probably even more popular in Japan than he is anywhere else. No, he isn't used much in Smash Bros., but as far as Pokémon go, he's up there. How that translated into a rare Amiibo, I will never know. Budget? Must have been budget. There was only so much money to spend on producing figures in wave 3, and Lucario was low seed, so to speak. Still, wave 3 could have easily supported one more common/uncommon figure. Wave 3 was mostly rares! That's what you get when you launch such a huge number of figures all at once, I guess...

Well, if "how likely is this character to be playable" isn't the criterion, the only other criterion that makes sense is:

How much brand recognition does this character have?

Nintendo probably did a few focus groups. They'd put up character art of the Smash cast, and quiz people on who the characters were. More successful answers, more common Amiibo. I could see this happening. Reminds me of this video... lemme see if I can find it...

Last edited:

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
image.jpg
Today's haul unboxed! I only need shulk and Ike and the holy trinity from wave 1! This week my little Mac and pit should get in

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Regarding Rosalina, I think her current Amiibo is only rare because the Super Mario variant will be more common. Her Smash Amiibo is one of the most impressive of the bunch, and it's technically two characters in one, so I think they are just making fewer quantities of it due to it being more detailed. Then, the Super Mario version of her, will have less detail, and be produced in larger quantities.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Regarding Rosalina, I think her current Amiibo is only rare because the Super Mario variant will be more common. Her Smash Amiibo is one of the most impressive of the bunch, and it's technically two characters in one, so I think they are just making fewer quantities of it due to it being more detailed. Then, the Super Mario version of her, will have less detail, and be produced in larger quantities.
I'd like to think this is true.

After thinking about the "brand recognition" thing I posted earlier, that doesn't seem to apply to third-party characters, huh? We'll see how Sonic goes, but if Sonic is rare and Pac-Man is rare... Hmm.

I guess at that point, there really is no rhyme or reason to the rarity.

Dark Dr. Pink-Gold Pit Jr

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bloxxed
I'd like to think this is true.

After thinking about the "brand recognition" thing I posted earlier, that doesn't seem to apply to third-party characters, huh? We'll see how Sonic goes, but if Sonic is rare and Pac-Man is rare... Hmm.

I guess at that point, there really is no rhyme or reason to the rarity.
If we're talking brand recognition, Sonic will be everywhere, Pac-Man will be decent, and Mega Man will be uncommon.
Sadly, we also have to take into account that Nintendo would (for good reason, of course) not like to over-represent 3rd party characters.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Hm, if I get Ike from Amazon UK, with shipping and everything, it only comes up to $21. Not bad. Please still be at that price when I get paid Friday.
Also it seems that they won't allow Wii Fit Trainer to ship to my address. That's a shame....

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Speaking of third-party characters, I got to thinking recently: with Nintendo releasing amiibo based on individual game series (with the Mario set), does anybody think that they'll release more amiibos based on third party franchises at some point? I could see Sonic and Mega Man having enough characters to get a set of amiibos of their own, but with Pac-Man, it would probably have to be based on Namco series in general or something (seeing as I wouldn't think there'd be much appeal in a set of Pac-Man and four palette-swapped ghosts).

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bloxxed
Speaking of third-party characters, I got to thinking recently: with Nintendo releasing amiibo based on individual game series (with the Mario set), does anybody think that they'll release more amiibos based on third party franchises at some point? I could see Sonic and Mega Man having enough characters to get a set of amiibos of their own, but with Pac-Man, it would probably have to be based on Namco series in general or something (seeing as I wouldn't think there'd be much appeal in a set of Pac-Man and four palette-swapped ghosts).
No way. Enough though neither of these companies offer much competetion to them, Nintendo needs to stick with its own franchises.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember hearing Nintendo say third parties could do amiibo lines. I know that one One Piece game is compatible with amiibo. If there's another Wii U Sonic game, I could definitely see an amiibo line of that (if Sega would risk that considering their financial state). As for Pac-Man, his amiibo would probably be used for another Ghostly Adventures game.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bloxxed
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember hearing Nintendo say third parties could do amiibo lines. I know that one One Piece game is compatible with amiibo. If there's another Wii U Sonic game, I could definitely see an amiibo line of that (if Sega would risk that considering their financial state). As for Pac-Man, his amiibo would probably be used for another Ghostly Adventures game.
Oh, really? I don't recall hearing that. Of course, I don't have a clue, as I wasn't very interested in amiibo until about November.

Dreamy Luigi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DreamyZack
3DS FC
3239-3015-8059
Smash Bros. 3DS amiibo update is now out.

I still wonder if a single FP data works on both versions without having to be reset.

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
Sorry for the massive image, I made this tier list to give you guys an idea of the Amiibo situation in Australia
Basically only E and F tier are still available in shops

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Oh, really? I don't recall hearing that. Of course, I don't have a clue, as I wasn't very interested in amiibo until about November.
I actually misremembered, the article was actually talking about third party games supporting amiibo, not third parties making amiibo lines. My bad.
Still, if there was a Sonic amiibo line, I can say goodbye to my wallet.

Also, found this on Twitter.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I have not been able to pick up my Bowser amiibo yet due to being sick. My pre-orders for the rest of the wave have not yet arrived for some reason. I'll have to check again tomorrow.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I have not been able to pick up my Bowser amiibo yet due to being sick. My pre-orders for the rest of the wave have not yet arrived for some reason. I'll have to check again tomorrow.
:( Get well soon, mod-sama. Get some rest. At least Bowser is common enough that you don't have to stress out over him much.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Thanks, also Bowser looks awesome! It's probably one of my favorite amiibos.
Oh, absolutely. I'm extremely pleased with how Bowser came out. I love the different textures on the shell and skin and hair. Lots of TLC went into it.

Wish the same could be said for Zelda... :( Hers is probably the worst Amiibo so far. It's not horrible, but it's not great, either.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
So, a local Trader Horn is going out of business and selling everything they have - and I mean everything. Here's a preview of the amiibo display I'll be making...

amiibo-preview.jpg

A little paint, some reinforcements in the back, and I'll have a sweet display for my mantle.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Wish the same could be said for Zelda... :( Hers is probably the worst Amiibo so far. It's not horrible, but it's not great, either.
You keep saying this, and I have absolutely no idea why.
First and foremost- when it comes to human faces, Zelda has one of the best. I have not seen much of any Link, Marth, or Ike who get the same general correctness in face.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
You know you're going crazy over the whole amiibo fiasco when last night you dreamt about picking up a Rosalina amiibo in Gamestop.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Amazon updated my Mega Man order. Thanks to Prime it says it'll arrive on Feb. 12th. :)

Still have to potentially hunt for Sonic/Ike because of the Gamestop delay, but at least now half of the musts for me this wave I should be getting.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So I rang home and Lucario arrived. Still no Rosalina yet...if she doesn't show up by the time I get home, I'm ordering that replacement.

This sucks. I pre-ordered my favourite character well in advance, TWICE, and still I get so much trouble with it. :\

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
What's the status on Gamestop 3B orders, date in particular?

Last edited:

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
I think I just commissioned my female villager from reddit. Should be fun. Some of their work is really cool, and they said they're confident that they can pull it off. They're even planning on doing a custom box! $25, with $5 for shipping.

http://imgur.com/a/Gd5sO (examples of their previous jobs)

I'm actually really excited. Even though I initially feared sending in a Villager, I got over it. It's going to look so sweet to have both :4villagerf::4villager: side by side.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's sad that most of us will never find Lucario in TRU. Just yesterday, I went to TRU when it opened... I was the only one there... and I asked for Lucario... and they said they had 15 delivered the previous day but one person got them all because he preordered them all. Damn scalpers to hell!!!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Anyone still looking for a Pit Amiibo may wanna consider this giveaway:

-------------

EDIT:
OH BOY, A PACKAGE FOR ME?

I wonder what it could be...

Maybe it's Rosali-

"RAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!"

So yeah, GameStop.ie packaging has the box in fine condition with no damage, but they put it under a lot of cardboard strips, making the box quite dusty. Still, the box wasn't damaged, and the figure fine, so I can't complain.

Now, Rosalina, on the other hand...she didn't arrive, so it's time for me to order a replacement.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's sad that most of us will never find Lucario in TRU. Just yesterday, I went to TRU when it opened... I was the only one there... and I asked for Lucario... and they said they had 15 delivered the previous day but one person got them all because he preordered them all. Damn scalpers to hell!!!
That's unfortunate. I know the Toys R Us in my area has a "one per customer" policy as far as Lucario goes - I'm surprised that wasn't consistent throughout the entire franchise.

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
What's the status on Gamestop 3B orders, date in particular?
Oh wow, not long after posting this, got a text notification that my Shulk will be available for pickup tomorrow. Nothing on Dedede and Mega Man yet.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Amazon JP also won't ship Wii Fit to my address. This blows. Anyone know where I can import one?

AquaInferno

Smash Apprentice
I was part of the TRU order cancelgate debacle. I was *supposed* to get a shot at Ike since I preordered him and it got cancelled. I realize Sunday they need to hurry up with this so I went to customer support chat to see what's up and was told sorry! No Ikes left! I was TOLD I would get my chance and now nothing. I proceeded to do the Executive Email Carpet Bomb (EECB) and could only reach the CEO. Well they forwarded my email and I have a 9AM phone meeting to discuss the situation. I will follow up tomorrow. Good luck to everyone but I've had it. I'm about to launch the EECB against B&H and NOA to tell them in a kind long winded rant how I REALLY feel.

energonkid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Energon_kid
Switch FC
SW-5446-8459-8780
Is it true that TLink, Sheik, and Shulk may be coming to GameStop tomorrow? Amiibo inquirer said so, and that Nintendo said on their website that exclusives are timed. Can anyone verify this?

Dreamy Luigi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DreamyZack
3DS FC
3239-3015-8059
Omg

Changed my display... AGAIN.

No idea what i'll put on the "back wall" (maybe one of the Smash posters if I ever decide to get one), the amiibo boxes will stay on the side walls. Sonic will go next to Captain Falcon when he comes in... as for Toad, Kirby will head back to the right, and Captain Falcon will be in the middle of the 2nd row.

EDIT: Actually screw it Kirby is going back to the right :/

Last edited:
Top Bottom