• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Amiibo General Thread - Complete Smash Bros. Set Now Avaliable!

How do you feel about Amiibos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
I'm sitting here and it's dawning on me that, between my paranoia ordering back-ups in case of cancellations and my g/f who's also buying them, together we wound up with 2 Lucarios, 3 Sheiks, 3 Tinks, 3 Bowsers, and 4 Rosalinas (one of whom has already been given away as a gift).

God help us, we've gone mad.
image.jpg

Feels man

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm sitting here and it's dawning on me that, between my paranoia ordering back-ups in case of cancellations and my g/f who's also buying them, together we wound up with 2 Lucarios, 3 Sheiks, 3 Tinks, 3 Bowsers, and 4 Rosalinas (one of whom has already been given away as a gift).

God help us, we've gone mad.
This is something I've come to know, myself.
The fact that they are so rare has left me with more than I intended.
I was not initially going to spend a dime on any figures- between the holiday season, and owed favors, I had them all ready.
Yet, I ended up getting all after my first 9 on my own accord, because 'waiting for them as a gift' was a faulty strategy if I hoped to actually get them. There is no 'maybe I'll get Rosalina for my birthday' if you weren't prepared. There can be no ambivalence, and no misunderstanding.

frootlooops

Smash Rookie
Is Shulk, Sonic, and Mega Man already out in Japan? I'd rather import than go through hell.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
My Toon Link and Sheik should be coming sometime tomorrow or Tuesday :D
I just have to pray that my Sonic pre-order doesn't get cancelled. He's on back order right now. Also what Amiibo come out on the 13th this week? All I need from wave 3 are Lucario, Meta Knight, and Dedede. (Possibly Sonic depending if he gets delivered or not)
Ike, Shulk, King Dedede, Toon Link, and Shiek all come out at Gamestop on the 13th. The 20th sees Megaman and Sonic, and likely Meta Knight at Best Buy.

Amiibo heartbreak
Oh man, you're playing my tune.

This is my story. I only wanted about 3 of these in November. I distinctly remember talking with Gamestop employees on several occasions about how I ought to preorder these; they were going to possibly be hard to find or shortpacked. I scoffed at first, and pre-ordered Donkey Kong, my favorite. However, once I caught wind that several of them might never return to shelves? I started buying them. At first, my plan was to get my mains and the original 8 from SSB64, because Marth, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer were all sold out by then. At that time, wave 2 was upon us, and I decided I wanted the main character from every franchise, plus my mains and the original 12 from SSB64... because Pit, Captain Falcon, and Little Mac were all so cool.

I wasn't going to get Lucario. I swore off pre-ordering Lucario to a Gamestop employee who suggested I go pre-order him. I just never liked Lucario in Smash much after he edged out Mewtwo, so to speak. But when I found myself checking Toys R Us for Lucario pre-order cards in vain, I knew: I had to buy them all. I had to buy them all because I wanted them all, and if *I* didn't buy them for myself, I would possibly miss out forever. Gone were my plans to wait for Amiibo gifts... It was either get serious or miss out.

This has done harm to my overall view of Nintendo, honestly. Coming into Amiibo, I adored Nintendo for all the products they made that made me happy. Now Amiibo don't make me happy. Now they're more of a burden to me than a joy. If I were to stop now, how foolish would I look? To go through what I went through, pay what I paid, and stop now? And so almost twice a day, every day, I'm checking to make sure pre-orders for wave 4 haven't come up yet.

This has all done well to drive home the truth that material possessions cannot satisfy you for long or bring any meaning to your life...but at the same time, it's also made me resent Nintendo for intentionally making Amiibo a collector's item after advertising it as a casual peripheral toy. It really does feel like exploitation. It feels like I was duped or lied-to. And yet, here I am, buying 1 of each and every Smash Amiibo.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Is Shulk, Sonic, and Mega Man already out in Japan? I'd rather import than go through hell.
Nope, they come out on the 19th over there.

-----

Still haven't got my Rosalina Amiibo. I sent them an e-mail, and got this response:

"Dear sonicbrawler182 (e-mail actually has my real name here),

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't received your order (order number here) yet.

I've checked and can confirm that it was sent from our Fulfilment Centre via DHL on 26.01.20165 to the following address. As your parcel was sent by an untraceable method we can't provide dispatch or tracking information on this order.

(My name and address here)

We expect that your parcel will arrive by tomorrow. In the unlikely event that you haven't received your order by 10.02.2015 please confirm the address to which the order was sent by replying to this e-mail and we'll assist you further. I will create a follow up for tomorrow and send you a replacement if you don't receive it."

So HOPEFULLY tomorrow is my lucky day.

Also haven't got Lucario yet, but it seems he wasn't dispatched yet. I guess that's expected since I ordered him over the weekend.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
This is something I've come to know, myself.
The fact that they are so rare has left me with more than I intended.
I was not initially going to spend a dime on any figures- between the holiday season, and owed favors, I had them all ready.
Yet, I ended up getting all after my first 9 on my own accord, because 'waiting for them as a gift' was a faulty strategy if I hoped to actually get them. There is no 'maybe I'll get Rosalina for my birthday' if you weren't prepared. There can be no ambivalence, and no misunderstanding.
When amiibo first hit shelves, I was like "Hey guys, just throwing it out there that these could be kind of cool if I got a few for Christmas. No pressure, it's not like they'll be super rare or anything... I found out my mom was getting me Yoshi and Fox, but my g/f and I needed something to do over a weekend. She bought a Peach, and I bought a Kirby, just so I could figure these things out before really trying to train one that I really wanted.

Meanwhile, my friend (who is now my collecting buddy) was telling me how he felt obligated to get Marth, Villager, and WFT just because he saw them and assumed they'd be rare. "You don't even like two of those characters," I teased, "and you're crazy if you're going to spend $726.63 collecting the whole set (49 assuming Mewtwo and no Miis, times ~$14.83, price including tax in our area). I laughed. I thought I was only going to get my mains, and anybody I wanted down the line would be readily available.

And then Marth, Villager, and WFT both disappeared, only to reemerge on eBay at $50+ a pop.

Now, after rampant order cancellations and losing 2 Pits in the mail, here I am buying one to keep in box for eternity, an extra just in case the first gets cancelled/agreement with a buddy to buy in pairs in case the other misses it/ who knows maybe I'll want to play with that character some day, and a third because I saw it in the store and even a shipping confirmation isn't enough to feel comfortable that I'll have it in my collection. My total price tag is going to be at least 3 times what I figured it would be back when I was laughing at my friend about it - and yet I'm in too deep to quit now.

What to do with the thirds bugs me. Part of me wants to sell them to recoup some of my losses, but at that point, am I any better than a scalper? Some are being given away to friends in need (the fourth Rosalina, and I would have given one of my Pits to my best friend had they arrived). My girlfriend suggested doing giveaways for our Youtube/Twitch channels, and right now that seems like the best idea, but will it be worth it if the additional views and subs are temporary?

The upshot of all this is my girlfriend's Peach is one of the most devastating foes I've had the misfortune of crossing, and after three attempts with my Kirby, I've actually found that I like playing Kirby enough to call him a viable second. Not exactly worth the price tag (like... not even close), but at least something good's come of it.

Last edited:

AquaInferno

Smash Apprentice
B&H cancelled Ike, Toys R Us never gave me the 2nd chance after cancelgate. Ike is the hardest to come by these days.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
When amiibo first hit shelves, I was like "Hey guys, just throwing it out there that these could be kind of cool if I got a few for Christmas. No pressure, it's not like they'll be super rare or anything... I found out my mom was getting me Yoshi and Fox, but my g/f and I needed something to do over a weekend. She bought a Peach, and I bought a Kirby, just so I could figure these things out before really trying to train one that I really wanted.

Meanwhile, my friend (who is now my collecting buddy) was telling me how he felt obligated to get Marth, Villager, and WFT just because he saw them and assumed they'd be rare. "You don't even like two of those characters," I teased, "and you're crazy if you're going to spend $726.63 collecting the whole set (49 assuming Mewtwo and no Miis, times ~$14.83, price including tax in our area). I laughed. I thought I was only going to get my mains, and anybody I wanted down the line would be readily available.

And then Marth, Villager, and WFT both disappeared, only to reemerge on eBay at $50+ a pop.

Now, after rampant order cancellations and losing 2 Pits in the mail, here I am buying one to keep in box for eternity, an extra just in case the first gets cancelled/agreement with a buddy to buy in pairs in case the other misses it/ who knows maybe I'll want to play with that character some day, and a third because I saw it in the store and even a shipping confirmation isn't enough to feel comfortable that I'll have it in my collection. My total price tag is going to be at least 3 times what I figured it would be back when I was laughing at my friend about it - and yet I'm in too deep to quit now.

What to do with the thirds bugs me. Part of me wants to sell them to recoup some of my losses, but at that point, am I any better than a scalper? Some are being given away to friends in need (the fourth Rosalina, and I would have given one of my Pits to my best friend had they arrived). My girlfriend suggested doing giveaways for our Youtube/Twitch channels, and right now that seems like the best idea, but will it be worth it if the additional views and subs are temporary?

The upshot of all this is my girlfriend's Peach is one of the most devastating foes I've had the misfortune of crossing, and after three attempts with my Kirby, I've actually found that I like playing Kirby enough to call him a viable second. Not exactly worth the price tag (like... not even close), but at least something good's come of it.
I'd encourage you to do some giveaways. You'll feel better afterwards, knowing you did something kind for someone else.

I wouldn't fault you for selling a few, since that wasn't your intention in the beginning. With shipping included, $20-$30 is fair. Selling in person, I'd recommend you not go above $20. Don't become what you despise.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Just got confirmation my Lucario was shipped. So I should definitely see him tomorrow.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I appreciate the guys who shared there stories in response to mine- so similar in many ways. Ah, human nature.

I have an amiibo shelf in my closet where I have my extra 25 duplicates stacked, and in front, the rows of the amiibo figures of which I've opened none.
I don' want to open any of my Lucario or Rosalina until the shipped copies come, because I want to make sure I open the one that looks most pristine. This is why Toon Link is up there, until Game Stop gets their act together.
Pikachu is up there because neither of my two have tails I'm proud of- for as simple as his paint job is, the black on his ears, the brown on his tail, and the stupid inscribed circle above that brown, all irk me.
Fox is up there because I only have two, and now that he was discontinued, I feel as though I should wait to import a cheap one on Amiami before deciding.
Bowser is still up there because he has some issues similar to Pikachu- all of his components looks somewhat strange together on every figure I've seen- usually it comes down to the spikes having some irregularity and not being smoothly attached at the base root.
And still, though I opened my Yoshi and my Link, I always look for ones that might be defective- my Yoshi has paint slightly under his eyes, and looks to be crying, the nose seam also annoys me. Link is angled too down in the derp face.
This is absolutely ludicrous.

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
Wave 1: :4wiifit: (On the way)
Wave 2: Complete!
Wave 3: :4sonic::4metaknight::4dedede:

Wave 4: patiently refreshing in hopes of preorders popping up

As much as I stress over amiibo, I'm doing better than expected. Except Meta Knight. I'm fearful.

Dreamy Luigi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DreamyZack
3DS FC
3239-3015-8059

All 3 of my Legend of Zelda amiibos lined up (both Links have almost the same pose, never noticed)

This is like, the week of Zelda for me.

-Hyrule Warriors DLC
-Netflix/Zelda live action rumors/news
-Amiibos
-Majora's Mask 3D

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
Actually seeing this.
You know what ****es me off about amiibo in stores.
Those blasted stickers that they put on the boxes.
Such an amount of shenanigans trying to get them off.
The stickers I had on my amiibos were actually really easy to take off. I understand your pain though, Britain puts some annoying stickers on amiibo packaging.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Wave four - charizard and wario are common. Lucina, Ness, Robin, Pacman are rare.

They sold out in seconds on amazon uk.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Wave four - charizard and wario are common. Lucina, Ness, Robin, Pacman are rare.

Well this sealed the deal on me gettgin Ness over Charizard, even though i basically made up my mind last night. I could probably get Charizard later on if this is the case. I figured the obscure characters + Pac Man would be rare from the get go, especiAlly Ness and Pac mAN. Anyone have an idea when Gamestop starts pre-orders for these? I'm getting my Ness ASAP, not making the same mistake i did with Shulk.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I was actually genuinely surprised that Pac-Man ended up looking so rare considering Sonic and Megaman pre-orders are still around.

That said, I'm glad I nabbed him and Ness when I could. Pity I couldn't grab Robin too.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Wave 1: :4wiifit: (On the way)
Wave 2: Complete!
Wave 3: :4sonic::4metaknight::4dedede:

Wave 4: patiently refreshing in hopes of preorders popping up

As much as I stress over amiibo, I'm doing better than expected. Except Meta Knight. I'm fearful.
For those who don't have a Meta Knight being shipped to their house, Best Buy stores are supposedly going to start stocking them for sale on 2/20. However! Not all stores are created equal. Some stores don't handle Amiibo well and sell them early, some I have even seen let customers inside before opening hours to wait in line with purchases in hand. Best thing you can do is drive down to Best Buy several days before 2/20 and get to know as many of the employees involved with the video game department as you can. If they are apathetic or shady, you better not rely on that store. I hope you're like me, where there are like 4 or 5 Best Buy stores less than an hour away, so you can pick the best store.

I've also heard a rumor as to when Wave 4 might go up for preorder at Gamestop in NA... However, I won't post it publically. I can't verify it, but... it's something to hope and shoot for. Remember, always pre-order in the physical Gamestop store if at all possible, and pay with cash or credit card -- and keep your receipt!

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
For those who don't have a Meta Knight being shipped to their house, Best Buy stores are supposedly going to start stocking them for sale on 2/20. However! Not all stores are created equal. Some stores don't handle Amiibo well and sell them early, some I have even seen let customers inside before opening hours to wait in line with purchases in hand. Best thing you can do is drive down to Best Buy several days before 2/20 and get to know as many of the employees involved with the video game department as you can. If they are apathetic or shady, you better not rely on that store. I hope you're like me, where there are like 4 or 5 Best Buy stores less than an hour away, so you can pick the best store.

I've also heard a rumor as to when Wave 4 might go up for preorder at Gamestop in NA... However, I won't post it publically. I can't verify it, but... it's something to hope and shoot for. Remember, always pre-order in the physical Gamestop store if at all possible, and pay with cash or credit card -- and keep your receipt!
Can you at least say if this "rumor" is taking place any time soon? Like say perhaps in the next week or two? Or would you ratehr just keep it to yourself?

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Can you at least say if this "rumor" is taking place any time soon? Like say perhaps in the next week or two? Or would you ratehr just keep it to yourself?
Sometime in February, is what I have heard. I won't say what day because it might be wrong or cause a panic or something crazy like that... Just remember, if you wake up and preorders have gone live, stay calm and get to your Gamestop store at opening and preorder at the counter. Gamestop always allocates items to be sold at the register. Online preorders will be cancelled to meet your order if Nintendo can't fill the bill, those ********.

Once we find out how many "months" of production the Wave 4 figures have had, we'll get a good idea of what we're up against. If any of the figures have "1 month" of production, it's likely to be as rare as Shulk in the USA... "2 months" is more in the vein of Pit or Captain Falcon, i.e., there is slight hope to get one without a preorder.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Sometime in February, is what I have heard. I won't say what day because it might be wrong or cause a panic or something crazy like that... Just remember, if you wake up and preorders have gone live, stay calm and get to your Gamestop store at opening and preorder at the counter. Gamestop always allocates items to be sold at the register. Online preorders will be cancelled to meet your order if Nintendo can't fill the bill, those *******s.

Once we find out how many "months" of production the Wave 4 figures have had, we'll get a good idea of what we're up against. If any of the figures have "1 month" of production, it's likely to be as rare as Shulk in the USA... "2 months" is more in the vein of Pit or Captain Falcon, i.e., there is slight hope to get one without a preorder.
Got it, thanks for the advice.

Still hoping i can find Shulk at a gamestop after the 13th...Doubful though. Chances are i'll have to buy him online now if i really want him (he's literally the only one i'd care to buy online...besides Mewtwo if i fail to pre-order him should he get an Amiibo).

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
[quote="ErenJager, post: 18548932, member: 237478"]These waves get worse and worse[/quote]
Agreed. Luckily for me, the only amiibos i want that have yet to be released from this point on are Ness and Mewtwo (should he get one, i'm convinced he will though) and im gonna pre-order them ASAP. After i get them, i'll probably order Fox and Shulk online (Im still holding out hope i can find Shulk in a GS after the 13th, but i know for sure Fox is guaranteed to be ordered online by me given he got discontinued).

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Got it, thanks for the advice.

Still hoping i can find Shulk at a gamestop after the 13th...Doubful though. Chances are i'll have to buy him online now if i really want him (he's literally the only one i'd care to buy online...besides Mewtwo if i fail to pre-order him should he get an Amiibo).
California is probably the best state to live in for finding Amiibo, though, since all the Japanese imports flow through your state. New York would likely be #2, I'd guess. Never know what might turn up in those places! That said, it's gonna be hard to import a Shulk for MSRP... and eBay is gonna be full of $50, $60, and other crazy numbers... I wish you the best. I was fortunate that my preorder wasn't cancelled. My Shulk should be shipped to my house on Wednesday, from Gamestop.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord

I'm sad that I won't see a single Fire Emblem character in Codename Steam, despite that being a highlighted feature of the game . :(

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
These waves get worse and worse
Well, kinda. Wave 2 was horrible, since preorders for that wave ended around the same time that people caught on that Marth, Wii Fit, and Villager were all gone. That's what spurred most of the scalping, see, was the mad dash for all these rares all at once with no pre-orders available. It's been kinda downhill from there. Wave 3 has been bad, but I managed to get all of them pre-ordered so far (besides Lucario, due to my stubbornness on disliking Lucario in Smash), and the only one so far I have paid more than $13 for is Meta Knight. I ordered Meta Knight from Japan because I knew how horrible Best Buy was to deal with in Virginia... but yeah. If you jump on pre-orders, it shouldn't be too bad from here on out, so long as Gamestop keeps being bros about the whole thing and Nintendo gets the p0n0s out of their 0nus.

I did overpay for Marth, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Little Mac, though. The most expensive was Mac: $35 plus a 180-mile round trip to pick him up. Marth and Villager came from Germany. I think they cost me $50 together, all included. Wii Fit Trainer came from Hong Kong. I think she cost around $25. Meta Knight came from eBay and cost me $30, all included.

I'm sad that I won't see a single Fire Emblem character in Codename Steam, despite that being a highlighted feature of the game . :(
It's absolutely reprehensible to dangle these in front of consumers, heavily advertise them, even, and then make them extremely limited one-and-done items. I agree.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
[quote="Aninymouse, post: 18548956, member: 55323"]California is probably the best state to live in for finding Amiibo, though, since all the Japanese imports flow through your state. New York would likely be #2, I'd guess. Never know what might turn up in those places! That said, it's gonna be hard to import a Shulk for MSRP... and eBay is gonna be full of $50, $60, and other crazy numbers... I wish you the best. I was fortunate that my preorder wasn't cancelled. My Shulk should be shipped to my house on Wednesday, from Gamestop.[/quote]
Wait...It is? Ok, i'll keep that in mind, although i got no idea how much it'd cost to import.

And yeah, looked on eBay last night, freaking $20-30 and $50-60+ for Shulk all around, it's ridiculous. @_@ Glad to hear you're getting Shulk though, at least someones getting him.

It doesn't help that i hear Gamestop is gonna pull a "Xenoblade" with Shulk and make his Amiibo ridiculously overpriced and have their second shipment of him marked as "Used". Really hope it's just a rumor that doesn't come true.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Shulk is the one I am most anxious about. Little Mac and Rosalina simply didn't make it to Ireland unless you pre-ordered in-store. I'm worried the same will happen to Shulk. And I can't pre-order him on any European sites it seems, he's all out.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
It doesn't help that i hear Gamestop is gonna pull a "Xenoblade" with Shulk and make his Amiibo ridiculously overpriced and have their second shipment of him marked as "Used". Really hope it's just a rumor that doesn't come true.
I've heard that rumor. Gamestop corporate might pull that stunt, I won't deny it. They did that with the Xenoblade game for Wii. However, Shulk is rare worldwide, not just in America. No telling if they'll ever get a second shipment. Target has already said they aren't selling anymore Rosalina again, ever. It's not even on their website anymore. But who knows... Besides, would Gamestop really try to pull the same stunt twice? Well, they might, but...

As for what an imported Shulk would look like, price-wise? Best-case scenario would be $30. That's cheap. Jump on that if you see that; don't even feel bad about it. Amiibo are actually more expensive in Europe at MSRP than they are in America. Japan or Hong Kong are gonna be the cheapest places to get one, if you can... but Europe has more of them to spare. It's all a crap shoot.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I've heard that rumor. Gamestop corporate might pull that stunt, I won't deny it. They did that with the Xenoblade game for Wii. However, Shulk is rare worldwide, not just in America. No telling if they'll ever get a second shipment. Target has already said they aren't selling anymore Rosalina again, ever. It's not even on their website anymore. But who knows... Besides, would Gamestop really try to pull the same stunt twice? Well, they might, but...

As for what an imported Shulk would look like, price-wise? Best-case scenario would be $30. That's cheap. Jump on that if you see that; don't even feel bad about it. Amiibo are actually more expensive in Europe at MSRP than they are in America. Japan or Hong Kong are gonna be the cheapest places to get one, if you can... but Europe has more of them to spare. It's all a crap shoot.
Only $30 at best, that's not bad actually. I could settle for 40 or (maybe) 50 if to. I'll remember this, thanks Aninymouse. : D

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Here's my guide to Amiibo hunting:

1) Do I want it?
2) Is it gonna sell out quickly?
3) Can I pre-order it?
4) Do I think I can afford it?

If any of these questions apply to your situation with a certain Amiibo, and your answer is "Yes" to all questions relevant to you, then you pre-order/buy that Amiibo.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Only $30 at best, that's not bad actually. I could settle for 40 or (maybe) 50 if to. I'll remember this, thanks Aninymouse. : D
No problem, duder. I like helping out fellow Amiibo enthusiasts.

To elucidate on what I said about European MSRP: to buy an Amiibo off a shelf in most European countries, it costs about $20-$22 USD, before you even factor in shipping costs. That's part of why it takes longer for them to sell out over there, see: they cost so dang much.

Here's my guide to Amiibo hunting:

1) Do I want it?
2) Is it gonna sell out quickly?
3) Can I pre-order it?
4) Do I think I can afford it?

If any of these questions apply to your situation with a certain Amiibo, and your answer is "Yes" to all questions relevant to you, then you pre-order/buy that Amiibo.
Nice, simple, to the point. See, I probably didn't have to pre-order Bowser, for instance... I just pre-ordered as much as I could to avoid overpaying, since no one knew which Wave 3s would be rare. I always did have a hunch that Bowser and Toon Link would be common, though, based on past waves. Still, I wasn't going to chance it. This time we know for sure that Lucina, Robin, and Pac-Man are rare.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You know there is a problem with my country's Amiibo supply and MSRP when every time I buy a chicken fillet roll for lunch, I think, "3 days worth of these would get me one Amiibo".

I am literally bringing packed lunches from now on simply so I can be more casual about my Amiibo purchases in the future.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
You know there is a problem with my country's Amiibo supply and MSRP when every time I buy a chicken fillet roll for lunch, I think, "3 days worth of these would get me one Amiibo".

I am literally bringing packed lunches from now on simply so I can be more casual about my Amiibo purchases in the future.
Yeah, dude. Nintendo is making serious bank on these things with every purchase. I mean, whatever, they have to make money. I just don't think an Amiibo is worth $20 USD, if I weren't a collector. I don't know what wages are like in Europe, but I seriously doubt they're so amazing that dropping $20 USD on a toy that barely does anything is going to catch on as a casual purchase. Like, Nintendo could sell them for less and still make a tidy profit. But you know, so long as people pay it, why change it? Nintendo is stubborn like that. They've gotten a bit better over the years, especially when they started to do badly, but it's so easy to fall back into your old ways.

I appreciate the guys who shared there stories in response to mine- so similar in many ways. Ah, human nature.

I have an amiibo shelf in my closet where I have my extra 25 duplicates stacked, and in front, the rows of the amiibo figures of which I've opened none.
I don' want to open any of my Lucario or Rosalina until the shipped copies come, because I want to make sure I open the one that looks most pristine. This is why Toon Link is up there, until Game Stop gets their act together.
Pikachu is up there because neither of my two have tails I'm proud of- for as simple as his paint job is, the black on his ears, the brown on his tail, and the stupid inscribed circle above that brown, all irk me.
Fox is up there because I only have two, and now that he was discontinued, I feel as though I should wait to import a cheap one on Amiami before deciding.
Bowser is still up there because he has some issues similar to Pikachu- all of his components looks somewhat strange together on every figure I've seen- usually it comes down to the spikes having some irregularity and not being smoothly attached at the base root.
And still, though I opened my Yoshi and my Link, I always look for ones that might be defective- my Yoshi has paint slightly under his eyes, and looks to be crying, the nose seam also annoys me. Link is angled too down in the derp face.
This is absolutely ludicrous.
I always try to check out the paint job on the Amiibo I get, when possible. I guess I've been blessed in that the ones I hard ordered through the mail have been about as flawless as I could ask for. Yeah, you can see a tiny defect in the paint here or there, but it's nothing glaring. Yoshi is just kind of a second-rate Amiibo in general, really. I mean, it's okay, but it's just not, on average, one of the better ones. Zelda is the worst Amiibo so far, though, I think. It took me days to find just one Zelda that didn't have a horrible paint job, and even then, so many of her finer details were left out or simplified... Her character model was so insanely detailed in Smash, I kinda knew they'd simplify Zelda a bit, but they ended up doing it more than I though, since her Amiibo was common and therefore more mass-produced. Zelda is passable, but Link looks waaaaaaaaaaaay better than her, and they made more Link than Zelda, lol.

Last edited:

Dreamy Luigi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DreamyZack
3DS FC
3239-3015-8059
With new arrivals my amiibo display undergoes changes again...

Once I get Sonic, I think he'll go to the left (my left) of Captain Falcon. When I get Toad, he'll be in Rosalina's current spot and Rosalina will be moved to the right of Falcon.

Or I might do something else with Toad since I'll be using him solely for display purposes (unless the feature in Treasure Tracker turns out to be insanely fun) and put him somewhere else from my Smash amiibos, ugh decisions >.>

Last edited:
Top Bottom