• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Amiibo General Thread - Complete Smash Bros. Set Now Avaliable!

How do you feel about Amiibos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Amemebos

Related to the above:

I went to GameStop today to see if they had the SMM Amiibo bundle.

They only had stock for pre-orders, but I then checked Argos down the road. They didn't have the stock in yet, but it will be in tomorrow and I placed a reservation. On top of that, Argos are selling it for €10 cheaper than GS, and are also giving away free posters (I assume promo posters for the game) with each copy of the bundle. So better value overall, even if I have to wait a little tiny bit extra!

Also my New York friend sent me this picture of the Target he went to for Doc:

lotta doc.jpg

I wanna hear no more whining about US stock, ya hear, kiddies? :smirk:

Other than that though, not much to talk about on my end regarding Amiibos. September 26th is the day I'm waiting for.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

Amemebos

Related to the above:

They only had stock for pre-orders, but I then checked Argos down the road. They didn't have the stock in yet, but it will be in tomorrow and I placed a reservation. On top of that, Argos are selling it for €10 cheaper than GS, and are also giving away free posters (I assume promo posters for the game) with each copy of the bundle. So better value overall, even if I have to wait a little tiny bit extra!

View attachment 72972

Other than that though, not much to talk about on my end regarding Amiibos. September 26th is the day I'm waiting for.
Wow, so many Dr.Mario amiibos...

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm about to be moving; Have about 150 amiibo to pack. This will lead to some exciting pictures to come.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion

Amemebos

Related to the above:

View attachment 72972

Lol, the Toys R Us near me had a TON of Bowser Jr. Amiibos, enough to last a few days after. It had a ton of Olimars too, and some Ganondorf's and 8-Bit Marios. Some Peach and Link too but eh...

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Until there's no more exclusives, increased buying options are made available, and random gold mines of restocks start popping up (that's not Nintendo World), no promises. ;)

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I'm about to be moving; Have about 150 amiibo to pack. This will lead to some exciting pictures to come.
I wanna see it.
Even though we have seen tons of amiibo from dumb scalpers, but I want to see different amiibos in well pack.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Until there's no more exclusives, increased buying options are made available, and random gold mines of restocks start popping up (that's not Nintendo World), no promises. ;)
Exclusives are a good thing. They guarantee a store will get the Amiibo in. Over in Europe, stores often list figures then at the last minute remove the listing because they aren't getting them.

Increased buying options? You've already got way more than every other country. I'm pretty much stuck with GameStop, Smyths, and Argos for local options, none of which are reliable. If I want to buy online, it just gets stupidly expensive.

And there have been random goldmines of restocks. Target and GameStop had very big ones over the summer (as examples). Europe hasn't had this, the "goldmines" of "rare" Amiibos you've seen the odd photo from the UK or Ireland or whatever lately, are not restocks, they are the first batch in a lot of cases. And even then, they don't compare to what the US gets on release day. The only reason the US dries up so fast is because so many US collectors feel the need to buy loads of dupes for whatever reason.

-----------

Anyway, I didn't get the SMM Amiibo bundle yet. They apparently had a mix up on their system and it's not arriving until Tuesday.

No other local places have it anymore, so either they actually get it in and I'm all good, or they tell me on Tuesday that they aren't getting it at all and I'm forced to buy online and pay shipping prices.

This wouldn't be such a pain if they just sold the Amiibo separately, because I actually want the game a lot. I have all of these level ideas ready and everything.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And, of course, something like this that isn't a Mario amiibo. :p

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Exclusives are a good thing. They guarantee a store will get the Amiibo in. Over in Europe, stores often list figures then at the last minute remove the listing because they aren't getting them.

Increased buying options? You've already got way more than every other country. I'm pretty much stuck with GameStop, Smyths, and Argos for local options, none of which are reliable. If I want to buy online, it just gets stupidly expensive.

And there have been random goldmines of restocks. Target and GameStop had very big ones over the summer (as examples). Europe hasn't had this, the "goldmines" of "rare" Amiibos you've seen the odd photo from the UK or Ireland or whatever lately, are not restocks, they are the first batch in a lot of cases. And even then, they don't compare to what the US gets on release day. The only reason the US dries up so fast is because so many US collectors feel the need to buy loads of dupes for whatever reason.
Exclusives have gotten better as stores have put increased pressure on Nintendo and have adjusted their marketing scheme, but they still require extra effort on behalf of the consumer. Plenty of people still keep having to prioritize the characters they want.

By increased buying options I mean being able to buy bundles like that Super Mario Maker pack or buying :4gaw::4duckhunt::4rob::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword: individually instead of in a 3 pack only.

"in a lot of cases" that's what I'm getting at, we don't have any random restock pics. It's true we have gotten some restocks but none of them have been that numerous (1-2 per store) and have only been for exclusive characters (pretty much just Jigglypuff and Ness). Only Meta Knight had a decent in-store restock, but at the same time, Best Buy restricted his initial release making it not a true restock in the default sense.

Scalpers are an issue, which you admit, but they're not "the" issue. The market in the US is larger than any of the other regions and as such demand is much higher. We now have websites actively promoting importing as an alternative (ex. Amazon.UK or Game.uk you can buy most Amiibo for their original asking price or under 20 euros/dollars) and auction sites have more imports than US brands.

We have increased competition on top of being the only region with consumer restrictions. I get that the negativity of US amiibros is tiring, amiibo hunting in general is hard for everyone, and you have every right to call us out when we're clouding discussion, but PAL/JP regions objectively do have it easier even if it's not by much.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Exclusives have gotten better as stores have put increased pressure on Nintendo and have adjusted their marketing scheme, but they still require extra effort on behalf of the consumer. Plenty of people still keep having to prioritize the characters they want.
Having to prioritise is still ten times better than not getting the opportunity to get them at all (or at least not until a random time months after release).

By increased buying options I mean being able to buy bundles like that Super Mario Maker pack or buying :4gaw::4duckhunt::4rob::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword: individually instead of in a 3 pack only.
In that case, you still have more plentiful, or at least, more convenient options. For example, sure, the Squid Amiibo was exclusive to a 3-pack in the US, but it was exclusive to a bundle with the game in Europe. This was stupid as Splatoon was a brand new IP and it launched in a lackluster state, so a lot of people like myself flat out weren't willing to buy it day one because the game really wasn't worth the asking price on day one (it is now, but the game had like, no content or features when it launched).

Oh and I haven't found a single store here in Ireland that offers the 8-Bit Mario Amiibos alone. I don't even know if you can get the modern variant at all here because of that. And as I posted earlier, the store's incompetence at handling Amiibos is making me have to wait longer for the actual game too, if I want this Amiibo. Bundle exclusive Amiibos are far worse than 3-packs and I don't see why you would ever want them over a 3-pack.

It sucks that you have to deal with 3-packs for those upcoming characters, but most Europeans likely won't get them at all unless they import considering the characters in question and past trends.

"in a lot of cases" that's what I'm getting at, we don't have any random restock pics. It's true we have gotten some restocks but none of them have been that numerous (1-2 per store) and have only been for exclusive characters (pretty much just Jigglypuff and Ness). Only Meta Knight had a decent in-store restock, but at the same time, Best Buy restricted his initial release making it not a true restock in the default sense.
I actually posted a few US restock pics in this thread multiple times. I recall two specific ones being one for a Rosalina restock and another for a Jigglypuff restock.

And no, they have been numerous. They have included many rarer Amiibos, I've seen Target restocks with baskets full of Pits, the online restocks have been in the thousands - there is no debate. In comparison, only online retailers see noticeable restocks in Europe, or maybe some German places (but that's only because NoE HQ is in Germany).

Also my friend from New York got me a Ness at a local GameStop when that restock was happening. He showed up at around 5pm (hours after the restock started) and got me one, and the store employee who attended to him mentioned they had "over 20" left. I'm sorry but when I hear stories like this about US restocks quite often, yet a lot of European countries are only getting these Amiibos now, I don't see how you can consider EU restocks worse than US ones. They are bascially non-existent.

Scalpers are an issue, which you admit, but they're not "the" issue. The market in the US is larger than any of the other regions and as such demand is much higher. We now have websites actively promoting importing as an alternative (ex. Amazon.UK or Game.uk you can buy most Amiibo for their original asking price or under 20 euros/dollars) and auction sites have more imports than US brands.
I'm not even talking about scalpers, I'm talking about stuff like this:

There are only around 60 different Amiibo products available as of today, in the US.

I see people from the US posting numbers like this all of the time. I see people in the US talking about how they have an "OoB and NiB" collection all of the time. I see people in the US going on about how they "imported an Amiibo that released elsewhere early, but it looks wrong with my NA ones/I want the thrill of the hunt/etc, so I'm gonna get US dupes!". Even ignoring scalpers and trade bait buyers, stuff like this is not helping the stock in any country, and I think this is exactly what Nintendo meant when they said "we didn't think they'd sell so well" - while they may have underestimated regardless, there was no logical reason for them to plan for people buying dupes for the first few waves, and I think it's largely why they underestimated in the US (whereas elsewhere it was clear they really were just tone deaf and nonsensical with the stock numbers - Ike is a common in Europe, yet Kirby has been rare since day one, despite people outside of Europe often importing Ike and not Kirby? What were they thinking when they made THAT decision?).

I have no issue with people buying dupes. I have some dupes myself. But what aggravates me is when US collectors complain about the stock, ignore the great restocks that happen, import from countries that can't import from the US (I know Amazon US recently opened Amiibo importing for Europeans, but nobody has really been utilising it anyway since people don't realise it can be done and it's still only one retailer compared to the many EU retailers that ship to the US), yet still persist in buying so many dupes and what not, and acting as if everywhere else have it better. And still can't see why they might have some stock problems.

PAL/JP regions objectively do have it easier even if it's not by much.
On top of what I've already said disproving that, EU has way more rares than the US and has since Amiibo started, and also we pay noticeably higher prices even in local stores. We also don't have near the amount of pre-order options, and aside from maybe GAME in the UK, we don't get retailers communicating with us on social media or leaking details to /r/amiibo mods. EU still doesn't even have so much as a confirmation that Gold and Silver Mario will be officially sold here.

I don't see how you can say we have it better just because you saw pictures of some well stocked stores - stock that should have came months ago, mind you. That's the only reason stores are well stocked in the EU now, it's because we got old Amiibos really late (which also likely means people who wanted them, like myself, already imported or caved into eBay so they don't need a local copy, or just plain lost interest in the things from how terrible it's been in Europe), on top of whatever new ones came out, making store stock look bigger than it naturally would be (and since US fans often don't research the situation in Europe, they assume these are "restocked" figures). And that still pales in comparison to what kind of stock the US gets anyway.

Raccoonman_900

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RMan_900
3DS FC
1418-6736-6840
Switch FC
SW-5350-0976-4122
Managed to get :4olimar::4bowserjr:and:4drmario: today pretty easily. Seriously, the Target I went to had 13 :4drmario:! I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice this. Now I wonder where :4ganondorf: is. Here's a picture of the three.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I'm not looking to get into this whole debate again, but there is absolutely no contesting that store exclusives offer nothing for those in the US; in fact, let us take a look:

Gold Mario. Most stores, getting about ten, had issues with breaking sell date,
Modern Mario. This amiibo costs $300.
Rosalina. Became an internet meme after giving Target its biggest online sales traffic hour by over tenfold 2nd place.
Lucario. Sold out from underneath presales by employee reps, reports regularly, across the country.
Ness. Broke the internet of the premier gaming store in the country. Customers waiting in store for hours: over 50,000.
Metaknight.
Jigglypuff.
Greninja.

...no. No no no. This idea that exclusivity brings value to the table- certainly not STOCK (at least not before Dark Pit). That is absolutely absurd. The reality of the situation is that store exclusives are: Not available to everyone (some of these retailers are very vacant across the country), have infuriatingly unpredictable websites which cannot be trusted, and mean waking up insanely early to guess on which store to wait at for hours, only to be told last minute that you are not going to get one and then have no option to even look at other retailers.

As far as Europe hasnt had those 'gold mines,' that is just incorrect. We saw dozens of photos from November through April of shops in Europe with more excessive stock than that I've personally witnessed from even a single store so far. The early pages of the amiibo page have many rainbow colored, filled, European walls.

Last edited:

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
Man, it really sucks that in my area, it takes about an hour to get to a Toys R Us and Best Buy if your taking a bus. It's much shorter if you drive, but I don't know how to yet and I don't think my parents are willing to drive for about 20 minutes just so I can get figures that probably won't benefit me in the future. I still got 4 amiibos from Wave 5 (Nintendo really is learning from this restock issue...), its just...I didn't get Bowser. Jr.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm not looking to get into this whole debate again, but there is absolutely no contesting that store exclusives offer nothing for those in the US; in fact, let us take a look:

Gold Mario. Most stores, getting about ten, had issues with breaking sell date,
Modern Mario. This amiibo costs $300.
Rosalina. Became an internet meme after giving Target its biggest online sales traffic hour by over tenfold 2nd place.
Lucario. Sold out from underneath presales by employee reps, reports regularly, across the country.
Ness. Broke the internet of the premier gaming store in the country. Customers waiting in store for hours: over 50,000.
Metaknight.
Jigglypuff.
Greninja.

...no. No no no. This idea that exclusivity brings value to the table- certainly not STOCK (at least not before Dark Pit). That is absolutely absurd. The reality of the situation is that store exclusives are: Not available to everyone (some of these retailers are very vacant across the country), have infuriatingly unpredictable websites which cannot be trusted, and mean waking up insanely early to guess on which store to wait at for hours, only to be told last minute that you are not going to get one and then have no option to even look at other retailers.

As far as Europe hasnt had those 'gold mines,' that is just incorrect. We saw dozens of photos from November through April of shops in Europe with more excessive stock than that I've personally witnessed from even a single store so far. The early pages of the amiibo page have many rainbow colored, filled, European walls.
So you're just gonna ignore the fact that they at least guarantee both SOME initial stock and some pretty killer restocks? Also we aren't talking about bundle exclusives, I already said how they were bad.

Also those photos were all from Germany. Every single one (except for the odd Scandinavian country, but those have close ties to Germany anyway). There is one photo from a German store in January in particular, that US collectors still post to this day to "prove" Europe has it better.

But Germany =/= Europe. Someone like me, living in Ireland, cannot access that stock in German stores. And the only reason Germany has it so good is because that's where NoE HQ is.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Also my friend from New York got me a Ness at a local GameStop when that restock was happening. He showed up at around 5pm (hours after the restock started) and got me one, and the store employee who attended to him mentioned they had "over 20" left. I'm sorry but when I hear stories like this about US restocks quite often, yet a lot of European countries are only getting these Amiibos now, I don't see how you can consider EU restocks worse than US ones. They are bascially non-existent.
Okay, I gotta call this out. New York is one of the single most populated states in the USA, and their stores are massive and get really large stocks. This cannot be said about the entire USA. That Ness and Dedede restock where stores were getting ~20 of each? Mine got 4 Ness and 0 Dedede. Area matters a ton.

And no, exclusives are not always a good thing. Once again it comes down to geography. For example, the nearest Toys R Us, Target AND Best Buy is roughly an hour and a half drive from my house, across a state border. One or two stores in the US having ample stock =/= every single store getting that stock, or that the situation here is at all good.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Okay, I gotta call this out. New York is one of the single most populated states in the USA, and their stores are massive and get really large stocks. This cannot be said about the entire USA. That Ness and Dedede restock where stores were getting ~20 of each? Mine got 4 Ness and 0 Dedede. Area matters a ton.

And no, exclusives are not always a good thing. Once again it comes down to geography. For example, the nearest Toys R Us, Target AND Best Buy is roughly an hour and a half drive from my house, across a state border. One or two stores in the US having ample stock =/= every single store getting that stock, or that the situation here is at all good.
That's not what I've been told. Typically, New York is actually one of the hardest areas in the US for Amiibos outside of NWS, because it is so busy. But the restocks have all around been really great in most places in the US, not just in New York.

Also while it would be better if there were no exclusives and ample stock all around, my point is that having exclusives is STILL better than not getting stock of those figures AT ALL. The exclusives system GUARANTEES that retailer will distribute that figure. We don't even get that much in most European countries.

Also I love that last line because that's literally what I've been saying in regards to Europe this whole time yet nobody is listening, lol.

I can understand that some areas in the US have it worse than others, but for whatever reason, people in the US can't understand that Germany and Europe are not the same thing. Funny how that works.

The situation in the US isn't perfect, but in terms of the supply Nintendo sends, they by far get the most (Nintendo have put out official numbers so don't even argue with that), they have the cheapest prices for Amiibos, and they are GUARANTEED every figure will be distributed, plus they have the widest import options and they get so much support and information from retailers.

None of these things are true in Europe. Also, stores in countries besides Germany tend to get no more than 10 of a single figure, if even that, and that goes for cities and everything.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I feel like either the amiibo excitement in my area is dying down, or there just weren't as many characters that people wanted to get for this wave. I decided to go to the nearest mall (half an hour away, but still) to browse, and I saw that the local Toys R Us still had twenty or thirty Bowser Junior amiibos, plus three Ganondorfs, four Zero Suit Samuses, and a couple of Inklings. Given that they usually only have Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Pikachu, Zelda, and Sonic, and anything other than those disappears within a day (if not a few hours), this surprised me. Dr. Mario was incredibly common as well, so it's not just the Toys R Us that this is happening at.

Still, I think part of it might have been the series that the characters came from. Olimar seemed harder to find, and he was the only character from his series; meanwhile, Zelda characters usually get pretty good stock, the more iconic form of Samus had already been released, and the rest of the characters from this wave were from Mario, which is a series that's pretty oversaturated as far as amiibos go.

The situation in the US isn't perfect, but in terms of the supply Nintendo sends, they by far get the most (Nintendo have put out official numbers so don't even argue with that), they have the cheapest prices for Amiibos, and they are GUARANTEED every figure will be distributed, plus they have the widest import options and they get so much support and information from retailers.
I'm not so sure about that. It may vary from region to region, but I've literally never seen Little Mac, Meta Knight, Dedede, or Pit on store shelves, and I haven't seen Marth, Wii Fit Trainer, or Villager since the first day that the first wave game out. The situation isn't ideal anywhere, by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I feel like either the amiibo excitement in my area is dying down, or there just weren't as many characters that people wanted to get for this wave. I decided to go to the nearest mall (half an hour away, but still) to browse, and I saw that the local Toys R Us still had twenty or thirty Bowser Junior amiibos, plus three Ganondorfs, four Zero Suit Samuses, and a couple of Inklings. Given that they usually only have Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Pikachu, Zelda, and Sonic, and anything other than those disappears within a day (if not a few hours), this surprised me. Dr. Mario was incredibly common as well, so it's not just the Toys R Us that this is happening at.

Still, I think part of it might have been the series that the characters came from. Olimar seemed harder to find, and he was the only character from his series; meanwhile, Zelda characters usually get pretty good stock, the more iconic form of Samus had already been released, and the rest of the characters from this wave were from Mario, which is a series that's pretty oversaturated as far as amiibos go.

I'm not so sure about that. It may vary from region to region, but I've literally never seen Little Mac, Meta Knight, Dedede, or Pit on store shelves, and I haven't seen Marth, Wii Fit Trainer, or Villager since the first day that the first wave game out. The situation isn't ideal anywhere, by any stretch of the imagination.
I never said it was completely ideal in the US. I said that it's the region that has it the best off compared to everywhere else, due to some indisputable, objective points that have been known for a while, yet people choose to ignore them.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
I got my :4bowserjr: and:4drmario: a couple days ago, as well as :4ganondorf::4olimar: and :4zss: today from Amazon. Sadly, I wasn't able to get 8-bit Mario, but I'm at least glad I managed to get all of the Smash figures of the wave.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
We have some really poor consistency for Amiibo releases over here, on actual game stores that is.

The last two Smash Amiibos we got were Palutena and Bowser Jr, the latter after over a month of only having Palutena. And before those two were Robin/Lucina sometime around June. I have :4samus: :4bowser: :4robinm: and :4lucina: as of current, seeing as those are the only ones I wanted at the time.

I recently paid for a Japanese Mii Gunner Amiibo because I really want it and dread waiting a long time with how inconsistent Amiibos are here. Hasn't shipped yet, but it'll arrive within 13 days.

Thank god I don't want all of them.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
My Smash amiibo collection is nearly complete... only 11+ left to go...

Have: :4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::rosalina::4bowserjr::4wario::4dk::4diddy::4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4tlink::4samus::4zss::4pit::4palutena::4darkpit::4ness::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4fox::4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4jigglypuff::4greninja::4falcon::4olimar::4wiifit::4shulk::4pacman::4megaman::4sonic:

In the mail: :4drmario: (should be coming today or later this week)

Pre-ordered: :4gaw::4duckhunt::4rob:

Don't have: :4marth::4littlemac::4villager:

Unreleased: :4lucas::4feroy::4falco::4mewtwo::4ryu::4miibrawl::4miisword::4miigun:

My Mario amiibo collection is complete and I also have 8-Bit Classic Mario. I'm only missing 8-Bit Modern Mario because it's exclusive to the Mario Maker + Wii U bundle.

I have all three Splatoon amiibos. I pre-ordered Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival with Isabelle and Digby. I also pre-ordered Woolly World bundle and Chibi-Robo! bundle. I plan to get the other Yarn Yoshi amiibos and the big one. I'm not interested in the Skylanders amiibos... and I'm considering getting the Shovel Knight amiibo.

My brother said I should get a display case and store them there... just like how some people keep their decorative china plates in their display cases.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I see people from the US posting numbers like this all of the time. I see people in the US talking about how they have an "OoB and NiB" collection all of the time. I see people in the US going on about how they "imported an Amiibo that released elsewhere early, but it looks wrong with my NA ones/I want the thrill of the hunt/etc, so I'm gonna get US dupes!". Even ignoring scalpers and trade bait buyers, stuff like this is not helping the stock in any country, and I think this is exactly what Nintendo meant when they said "we didn't think they'd sell so well" - while they may have underestimated regardless, there was no logical reason for them to plan for people buying dupes for the first few waves, and I think it's largely why they underestimated in the US (whereas elsewhere it was clear they really were just tone deaf and nonsensical with the stock numbers - Ike is a common in Europe, yet Kirby has been rare since day one, despite people outside of Europe often importing Ike and not Kirby? What were they thinking when they made THAT decision?).

I have no issue with people buying dupes. I have some dupes myself. But what aggravates me is when US collectors complain about the stock, ignore the great restocks that happen, import from countries that can't import from the US (I know Amazon US recently opened Amiibo importing for Europeans, but nobody has really been utilising it anyway since people don't realise it can be done and it's still only one retailer compared to the many EU retailers that ship to the US), yet still persist in buying so many dupes and what not, and acting as if everywhere else have it better. And still can't see why they might have some stock problems.
There are more facts you are not taking into the equation.
In the US, for Example, each of the six retailers of amiibo cancelled a substantial amount of amiibo. Preorders were useless. This ensured, de facto, that in order to actually ensure an order, backups were needed.
The issues continuing to rise were self propelling, as stated along the way by myself and many others. The urgency became much higher, and thusly, so did the reactions. I myself still have 4 Rosalina because I was so concerned about it, I had many backup options. I have kept them still in case I want to trade them for ones I have missed/theoretically COULD have missed in the future, or even, to yes- sell at a higher price to make up for the price of the ones I had to buy higher. Ultimately I wanted three full sets, with one ready to sell at the end. Believe me- I did not want my casual collecting hobby to turn into a warzone.

Nintendo has always appealed to a collection based clientele: have you played Pokemon, gotta catchem all? It is ridiculous to claim "Nintendo didnt think people would collect these collectables." That, immediately, ensues an OoB/NiB, a desire for synchronization, and also mint condition. When getting the figure at all is not a guarantee, none of these things are likely to happen at all on a 'single take.' The market forces the demand, forces the market...

I dont want you to feel too attacked, but I feel some of these other comments are important.
Back to exclusives: yes, it means the franchise is guaranteed to get them. That is a matter of de jure/de facto, or on paper versus reality. The fact that retailers pay for exclusives means, on paper, they are distributed. The reality is, though, that they arent available, and there is quite literally nothing any individual could do that would get them one guaranteed.
Additionally, Germany and England are not the same country, correct. However, for the intents and purposes of this market, Maine and Florida dont function as a single country either- different states here often function as differently, economically, as countries in Europe.
Of course the US gets the most amiibo- it is where the most are sold. It is the PROPORTION of amiibo that matter- if we get 66 percent of the stock and sell 72 percent of it (the latter number I made up), its actually still a disadvantage.

You are saying that old pictures of European stock mean nothing today, were just one store here or there... but it was your post of a US picture just like that and making a comment about US complaints, that brought this conversation back up in the first place.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
There are more facts you are not taking into the equation.
In the US, for Example, each of the six retailers of amiibo cancelled a substantial amount of amiibo. Preorders were useless. This ensured, de facto, that in order to actually ensure an order, backups were needed.
The issues continuing to rise were self propelling, as stated along the way by myself and many others. The urgency became much higher, and thusly, so did the reactions. I myself still have 4 Rosalina because I was so concerned about it, I had many backup options. I have kept them still in case I want to trade them for ones I have missed/theoretically COULD have missed in the future, or even, to yes- sell at a higher price to make up for the price of the ones I had to buy higher. Ultimately I wanted three full sets, with one ready to sell at the end. Believe me- I did not want my casual collecting hobby to turn into a warzone.

Nintendo has always appealed to a collection based clientele: have you played Pokemon, gotta catchem all? It is ridiculous to claim "Nintendo didnt think people would collect these collectables." That, immediately, ensues an OoB/NiB, a desire for synchronization, and also mint condition. When getting the figure at all is not a guarantee, none of these things are likely to happen at all on a 'single take.' The market forces the demand, forces the market...
Having 4 or 5 backups is over kill and only proves my point that US collectors are over obsessive, regardless of "cancellations". And your cancellations don't compare to the umpteen cancellations that some regions in Europe have to deal with, so I don't consider them an excuse. Once again, every Amiibo made it to the US when it was scheduled to. And every Amiibo was given an official release.

And I don't think comparing Pokemon to Amiibo is valid. Pokemon is a game that you buy and all of the Pokemon you collect are free thereafter and serve a mandatory purpose in the game. Dupes come at no consequence, and the stock is unlimited (especially since hacking is a big thing). Dupes also serve a purpose, as you may want more than one of the same Pokemon on your team if you think it's a powerful Pokemon. Furthermore, dupes are required to complete the collection unless you trade, because of the evolution system. Furthermore, Pokemon are not tangible and are merely data in a video game.

Amiibo are tangible and each one costs money. Dupes are not required to complete the collection, and Amiibo don't evolve into a different figure (unless you wanna make a custom). They are also not a mandatory part of any substantial experience (sans MP10 Amiibo Party, but there are only six in the SM line, and an extra three Smash Amiibo if you really need every Amiibo Party character).

So no, just because Nintendo made Pokemon, doesn't mean they bred people into needing to spend money on dupes of a tangible product. Don't blame them for your own obsessive buying habits.

Realistically speaking, Nintendo probably used Wii U hardware and software sales as a basis for Amiibo production numbers at first, as well as 3DS/New 3DS hardware and software sales. We also know that figure complexity, character popularity, and figure utility are factors, and they likely questioned focus groups too. They had no reason to think a bunch of 30 something year old men would want to buy dupes and create artificial scarcity. They had no reason to think an idiotic manchild would buy 200+ Rosalina Amiibos as well as many others just because he hates the characters and wants to prevent people from getting their hands on them. These things cannot be predicted or gauged. However, the sales of, for example, Fire Emblem Awakening, are something they have on hand. Since Lucina and Robin star in that game, then they can only assume that people who bought Awakening would want those two Amiibo characters, so that would be their base estimate. Then they would account for Smash Bros and Wii U hardware sales, and maybe shoot a little bit beyond that to be safe.

Now, it's clear that Nintendo is capable of gauging the now developed Amiibo fan base now, as they have undeniably upped production. But they couldn't account for that the first few waves, as the Amiibo fan base didn't really exist properly yet.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Once again, you take this to personal judgments. (And ironically, obsess over calling Americans obsessive).
You deny facts that are presented to you. And then whine that it is still worse there. Regardless of your OPINION of how others collect, it is merely an opinion. I had four Little macs, and thankfully I did or I would not have gotten Jigglypuff. Ulyimately, the people who most want them are getting them, eventually.

People collect collectables. Nintendo is aware of that. Im sorry you missed the other points, posted now, as you might say, excessively. "Dupes," the offensive term you call those who collect doubles, are commonplace in such market. It is, quite literally, what the market is based upon. Nintendo may not have known the popularity of amiibo, but they did know people would collect them. Nintendo is, literally, about 'bridging the gap' between family, between generations. They knew 30 somethings would buy these- they have a huge, HUGE market centered on Nostalgia, and rely on such hardcore Nintendo fans. Even claiming 1 per console was an estimation does not make any sense- sure some will get and some will not, but that isnt a based equation for how many people might have bought per system, and I doubt Nintendo thought those who bought one would only get one extra to make up for the person who did not.

You claim many stores 'never got stock of items there,' but ya know, that happened here too. I personally opened boxes at Toys R Us on launch day. There were no Villagers, no Marth, and only one single WFT. They never, ever, received any stock. This story is not the outlier.

I guess the bottom line is that, if you dont deal with exclusives, you have no idea how they actually work. On the other hand, there are stores here who, conversely, have just never gotten figures as well. Your attitude comes off as arrogant because you have no idea of what you talk about, and use belittling language toward the actual effort many people have had to make.
Your cancellations dont compare to my cancellations.
This type of arrogance.

I'm not sure how many times you have camped outside of a store for a release- and am curious to ask if you have. That doesnt seem to be in the media in other regions, but is nearly a guaranteed necessity in some areas in the USA.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Hoo boy, here we go again with the twisting my words for no reason:

Once again, you take this to personal judgments. (And ironically, obsess over calling Americans obsessive).
It's not a personal judgement. Me saying a lot of US collectors are obsessive isn't a judgement, it's an obvious fact. I never said anything about my opinion on those kinds of people. I merely said it's one of the largest causes of stock shortages in the US. That's just common sense, if people are buying dupes of a figure en masse, stock dries up faster.

You deny facts that are presented to you.
You've only replied to me with anecdotes, assumptions, and approximations. Not facts. Meanwhile, much of what I referenced is fact - Nintendo have put out official numbers that show the US gets the most stock (around 2 thirds of the global stock), Amiibos are sold for a higher MSRP in Europe (and you should know this since you said you've imported), two Amiibos outright have no official release confirmation yet while they've been out for a while in the US, and many Amiibos mysteriously don't get sold AT ALL on release date in European countries (your example of a single TRU not getting Marth, Villager, and WFT is not comparable as it's not multiple entire countries not getting them) and only randomly come out a few months later (often in small quantities), Europe has more rares - I've listed most of these points already and I can list more. You're the only one denying facts here.

"Dupes," the offensive term you call those who collect doubles

...How far into the depths of the cosmos did you have to reach to come to the conclusion that I'm using "dupes" as an offensive term for people who have duplicate Amiibos?

"Dupes" is a common, short hand, colloquial term for "duplicate". Even if you didn't know that, basic reading comprehension while reading my posts should have made it obvious. To quote myself, for example, I said earlier that "I have a few dupes myself"....did you seriously interpret that to mean I have a few duplicate Amiibo collectors locked up in my room, like I'm some sort of psychopath who hunts down people who collect duplicates of Amiibos? Because I was obviously referring to the Amiibos themselves, especially since I linked to this photo of my 3 Rosalina Amiibos when I said it.

Give me another "BLUH BLUH YOU ARE ARROGANT AND OFFENSIVE" if you want but you deserved to be called out on that one.

Now that we have that English lesson out of the way...

You claim many stores 'never got stock of items there,' but ya know, that happened here too.
Once again, I'm not talking stores, I'm talking whole countries.

I guess the bottom line is that, if you dont deal with exclusives, you have no idea how they actually work. On the other hand, there are stores here who, conversely, have just never gotten figures as well. Your attitude comes off as arrogant because you have no idea of what you talk about, and use belittling language toward the actual effort many people have had to make.
-I have dealt with exclusives. It wasn't easy getting my hands on Gold Mario when he literally isn't officially released outside of the US (at the time when I got him - I'm aware Australia and Japan got him now) when I live in Ireland. Also I have dealt with other exclusive products besides Amiibo in my country before. And while no Amiibo has been officially exclusive to a particular store in Ireland, there have been many occasions where an Amiibo only showed up in one store despite all of them listing them.

-Talk about me being belittling and arrogant all you like, but I've already proven how you are the one who has no idea what he's talking about, right down to your understanding of a basic colloquialism.

-As far as I know, the US has never had a case where literally all pre-orders in the nation are cancelled. This has happened more than once in Europe. For example, GameStop UK and GameStop Ireland cancelled all Rosalina Amiibo pre-orders just before she was supposed to release, and then she couldn't be found in any other stores in those countries.

So the cancellations in the US actually aren't comparable - this isn't arrogance, the scale is simply completely different.

I'm not sure how many times you have camped outside of a store for a release- and am curious to ask if you have. That doesnt seem to be in the media in other regions, but is nearly a guaranteed necessity in some areas in the USA.
I don't camp outside of stores for Amiibo releases because:

-I'm pretty sure it's illegal where I live unless there is an official event (such as that one PS4 midnight launch event I went to at my local GameStop).

-Related to the last point, a lot of big shops in my town have these extremely high frequency noise generators to drive young people away from hanging around the stores. Most adults cannot hear these, but my ears still can, and it is INCREDIBLY irritating to listen to. I would not get a wink of sleep camping outside these stores.

-I live close enough to all of my local stores so I shouldn't need to.

-Amiibo stock often doesn't even arrive for store opening, meaning it would be a pointless effort. I have gone in 3 hours after store opening on occasion and the shipment of new Amiibos has "just arrived" (this happened specifically with Olimar/Dr. Mario/Bowser. Jr - store clerk told me they hadn't arrived yet, then one of his co-workers literally came out and said they just got them).

-Most Amiibo releases for me happened when I was still in college. College is more important than Amiibos, I can chance going down later after college (or I just tried to pre-order as many as possible on GameStop.ie or on a European Amazon).

-A lot of shady folk wander my town at night. I would like to avoid them as much as possible.

Also camping out for $13 toys is never a necessity. It's a privilege. You don't have to do it to survive, and most people consider it a pleasant social experience from what I have seen. It also doesn't kill you if you miss out on a figure, they get restocked the vast majority of the time. I would try camping at least once myself, but for the aforementioned reasons, I cannot, since camping for Amiibos isn't a thing you can do here.

I am pretty much done with this argument anyway due to all of the baffling comments that I've seen made here. If American Amiibo consumers want to keep having a sense of melodramatic pity for themselves, that is fine. Just don't put a target on the head of everyone else or act like they have it so much better, because we don't.

Last edited:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Okay, this argument is getting way too heated. Either agree to disagree or take it down about ten notches.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Okay, this argument is getting way too heated. Either agree to disagree or take it down about ten notches.
And once again, I started to lose the direction of this argument...

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
.....*inspired to make an entire Pokemon Trainer line of the amiibo*

Thats the other thing multiples are good for. Ive started some breathe-easy work on customs. Though mine have been taking on a different approach a bit with some of the mediums used.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Go to Argos to pick up the Mario Maker bundle.

"Oh sorry it's not in today come back tomorrow!"

And then when I question them on whether or not it's coming in at all they say "oh well it isn't released yet so you have to understand why it might not be in"

Which is a bunch of bull, because the game IS out and I wouldn't be able to place a reservation at Argos if it wasn't because Argos don't list products until the day of release, i.e. when they get them.

Except with Amiibo because I've frequently seen them list ones they never get.

I'm giving them a three strike rule, if they don't have it for me tomorrow I will have to look for it online. This is beyond ridiculous.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Go to Argos to pick up the Mario Maker bundle.

"Oh sorry it's not in today come back tomorrow!"

And then when I question them on whether or not it's coming in at all they say "oh well it isn't released yet so you have to understand why it might not be in"

Which is a bunch of bull, because the game IS out and I wouldn't be able to place a reservation at Argos if it wasn't because Argos don't list products until the day of release, i.e. when they get them.

Except with Amiibo because I've frequently seen them list ones they never get.

I'm giving them a three strike rule, if they don't have it for me tomorrow I will have to look for it online. This is beyond ridiculous.
Hope you'll get it eventually.
And what does the bundle include besides the game?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

It's at the four minute mark, but Amiibos in Picross 3D 2 let you take on special Amiibo puzzles with the sculpture unlocked at the end being themed after the character.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

It's at the four minute mark, but Amiibos in Picross 3D 2 let you take on special Amiibo puzzles with the sculpture unlocked at the end being themed after the character.
That seems like a rather odd assortment, apart from the Mario characters. Link's not too surprising either; I'm just wondering if there's a reason they went with the entire Kirby cast. :p

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
That seems like a rather odd assortment, apart from the Mario characters. Link's not too surprising either; I'm just wondering if there's a reason they went with the entire Kirby cast. :p
Pretty sure the game is made by Hal so that's why.
I still need Meta Knight.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
IMAG0234.jpg
IMAG0235.jpg
IMAG0238.jpg

FINALLY.

The box for this Amiibo is surprisingly thin.

Also there was distinct space for a second Mario Maker Amiibo, makes me wonder if they planned to include both at some point.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
So have you guys checking r/amiibo lately? They talking about a huge restock at ToyRus coming soon! I might actually have a chance to get a Little Mac. :bluejump:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
So have you guys checking r/amiibo lately? They talking about a huge restock at ToyRus coming soon! I might actually have a chance to get a Little Mac. :bluejump:
80k Village, 26k Cap, Fox, and Mac spotted.

...2k Mii Fighter bundle. Eep.

What the heck is happening to November? I see four separate amiibo release dates. Four.

North America
  • Mii Fighters 3-pack - 1st November
  • Mewtwo - 13th November
  • Mega Yarn Yoshi - 15th November
  • Falco - 20th November
Europe
  • Mii Brawler - 25th September
  • Mii Sword Fighter - 25th September
  • Mii Gunner - 25th September
  • Duck Hunt Duo - 25th September
  • R.O.B. - 25th September
  • Mr. Game & Watch - 25th September
  • Mewtwo - 23rd October
  • Falco - 20th November
  • Mega Yarn Yoshi - 27th November
It's already bad enough I've sacrificed any extended vacation by piece-mealing my days in preparation for these launches. Why couldn't they have bundled these dates? Haven't they learned anything?

At least the 11/1 and 11/15 are Sundays... not that that makes it much better.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I personally prefer non-bundled dates. I have to make the choice of exclusives here, and that would mean where do I want to wait in line. The fewer launched, the easier they are to acquire on my end. One at a time.

Top Bottom