• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Amiibo General Thread - Complete Smash Bros. Set Now Avaliable!

How do you feel about Amiibos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This is bull crap! They actually made Greninja available at 7:30am and so I quickly placed my order. But the website wouldn't let me complete the order because I needed to select a store pickup location below... so I looked below and I don't see options to select a location... oh, and ship to home is not available. And now they sold out again after 10 minutes. This is bull crap!!

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
I hope my Pac-Man order went through properly, I haven't gotten a confirmation e-mail yet. EDIT: Apparently it didn't.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I love that this is blindsiding the major retailers. Really, everyone in tbe country getting online at once crashes the site? I don't understand how nobody saw this coming. Nintendo could fix this really easily by just sending more than three units to the entire country. It's the same as the Majora's Mask 3ds. Nintendo hyped it, they sent a minimal stock, and people went nuts scalping it. Funny that every other company that comes out with a 'limited edition' ends up with half their stock on shelves months after release...

It's kinda infuriating that so many are already up on ebay. Did nobody who got one want it for any reason other than making money off of others?

Remember the good old days right at the release of wave 1 when you didn't need a preorder? And some units existed on shelves? Hopefully at least one of these guys does make it to shelves. Each wave has had one - my gamestop has lots of MegaMan, Sheik, and some Sonic still, so we may be lucky enough to get one on shelves from this wave. With my luck, it'll be one I managed to order, but c'est la vie.

Biggest question is still: Nintendo, do you not realize that these sell? Do you want to maybe increase stock a bit?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'll pop into Gamestop at some point this weekend and see if the Lucina and Robin amiibos I preordered two months ago are still valid.

Palutena, Ganondorf and Lucas are now on my list - better get on that pronto.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So uhh, I saw the preorders go up for 5 minutes on the American Toys R Us site. Telling my friend this, we both tried to add stuff to our carts with no luck. Clicking "Add to Cart" would bring both of us to the cart screen but with nothing listed there. By the time I managed to finally get a Robin into my cart, everything was sold out and it refused to allow me to check out. My friend was unable to get anything in his cart at all by the time everything was gone.

Bravo. This is getting really stupid now.
Literally the exact thing happened to me.

You'd THINK that if something's in your cart, they'd let you buy it...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Where the hell do I select a store pickup location on the website? It's the reason it prevented me from completing my order.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Where the hell do I select a store pickup location on the website? It's the reason it prevented me from completing my order.
Just called customer service; don't waste your time. I went through a complete Pac-Man order without it telling me that it failed, when it apparently did. The same thing you're seeing happened to me with Greninja.

Last edited:

Kuragari

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo has obviously not tried to ease stock problems with wave 4. They should know by now that amiibo are crazy popular. Yet preorders still sell out within minutes.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Just called customer service; don't waste your time. I went through a complete Pac-Man order without it telling me that it failed, when it apparently did. The same thing you're seeing happened to me with Greninja.
I told my boyfriend about it... he said that maybe by the time I checked out, it was sold out... and that's why the "select a store pickup location" options did not show up.

I tested this theory... I checked out Smash Mario amiibo and lo and behold, the options were there. I guess I was too late but it's still in my cart... :dizzy:

Ninjagamer1234

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ninjagamer1234
All I wanted was Ness and Jiggs, Jiggs is Target exclusive so that will never see the light of day and Ness... Everyone but me has gotten ness

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So was anyone in Canada able to preorder Robin, Charizard or Lucina from EB Games today? When I was able to check again a few hours later from the initial rush, Ness, Wario, Pac-Man and the Splatoon amiibos were no longer anywhere to be found on the website. So I'm wondering if they ever existed or I just missed them.

The news from Australia is disheartening also. ZSS, Ganondorf and Palutena are absolute must haves for me and since they're already gone, that doesn't bode well for when they come out in NA. At least Olimar still being there is nice.
I don't believe they were on the EB Games website at any point. I checked right at 3:00, and the only ones available were Ness, Wario, Pac-Man, and the Splatoon amiibos. Then again, maybe the options were different if you went to the physical stores.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
I am so angry about what happened earlier. What liars. Seriously, preorders should not sold out within 5 minutes to a half hour.

Will there still be pre-sale cards for Greninja? That's pretty much my only hope because I am not buying a plastic figure for $50, even if it's my favorite Pokémon.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Watch Nintendo be massively trolling and release a huge stock, while all retailers are assuming it'll be tiny. That'd be funny to see Robins line the shelves at the end of May.

Yeah, I know, never gonna happen...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Biggest question is still: Nintendo, do you not realize that these sell? Do you want to maybe increase stock a bit?
Nintendo already knows... they just don't want to spend money on manufacturing amiibo figurines... that's why they are starting to manufacture amiibo cards like the Animal Crossing amiibo cards... it's cheaper to manufacture.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo already knows... they just don't want to spend money on manufacturing amiibo figurines... that's why they are starting to manufacture amiibo cards like the Animal Crossing amiibo cards... it's cheaper to manufacture.
This is a stupid question, but i'll ask anyways...

If they didn't want to spend money of manufacturing figurines, then why did they start it in the first place?

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
The main reason people want Amiibo is because they're sweet collectible trophies like Smash has had for ages, yet they're 4 waves into it, each wave has gotten worse, and Nintendo is going to switch completely from the figures to cards.

Yes, I'd love to have some slaps in the face on the side of my slap to the face Nintendo, thanks.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
All I wanted was Ness and Jiggs, Jiggs is Target exclusive so that will never see the light of day and Ness... Everyone but me has gotten ness
I didn't get Ness either, and I spent an hour trying to see if Wave 4 preorders popped up on either GameStop.com or Amazon.com since I wasn't allowed to buy Ness off of EB Games, and well... Never came on. I know how you feel.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This is a stupid question, but i'll ask anyways...

If they didn't want to spend money of manufacturing figurines, then why did they start it in the first place?
They didn't anticipate that demand would exceed supply... I guess...

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
You know, Nintendo was the one who said we should look at video games like toys way back in the day.

And now that they actually have "toys" only the hardcore of the hardcore can even get them.

Does anyone even know actually good importing sites? Nin-nin games was awful.

Like, if I ordered, I WILL get my amiibo.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
TRU Greninja link currently active in IE and Chrome, not Firefox, not working anyway. Fully expecting to hear a handful of people got their preorders in anyway.

I'm seriously starting to wonder if I've been globally blacklisted from online purchases? Like... Because I had to resort to buying doubles for Wave 3, they flagged me as a scalper? Seems like it's not a coincidence that Rosalina, Gold Mario, Jigglypuff, and Greninja are all giving me the same problems - I'm here on time, the site just never lets me put a request through...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The reason Nintendo isn't keeping up with demand for these things is because they are a video game hardware/software company first, figure manufacturer second (then again other things come before even Amiibos).

It's sad, especially since making more simply means a bigger profit for them, but it's the way it is. I doubt things will ever get better.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
TRU Greninja link currently active in IE and Chrome, not Firefox, not working anyway. Fully expecting to hear a handful of people got their preorders in anyway.

I'm seriously starting to wonder if I've been globally blacklisted from online purchases? Like... Because I had to resort to buying doubles for Wave 3, they flagged me as a scalper? Seems like it's not a coincidence that Rosalina, Gold Mario, Jigglypuff, and Greninja are all giving me the same problems - I'm here on time, the site just never lets me put a request through...
Literally, every time I'e walked away from my computer (last night at 3am, today at 730, and when you posted this) is when it went live.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
The reason Nintendo isn't keeping up with demand for these things is because they are a video game hardware/software company first, figure manufacturer second (then again other things come before even Amiibos).

It's sad, especially since making more simply means a bigger profit for them, but it's the way it is. I doubt things will ever get better.
The problem is, the amiibos are also being treated as video games. More specifically, DLC. These are for content inside the games, and we are getting locked out.

I'm more upset about not even getting to display the cool figures, but the true bigger issue is inaccessible DLC.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The problem is, the amiibos are also being treated as video games. More specifically, DLC. These are for content inside the games, and we are getting locked out.

I'm more upset about not even getting to display the cool figures, but the true bigger issue is inaccessible DLC.
Eeeeeh it's not really DLC (I mean you don't even download it). Nothing substantial really. The Smash Amiibos are literally just for training an AI partner. They have other uses, but with Mario characters, for example, you can get the Super Mario line (Rosalina may not have this option right now but she will eventually) no problem.

The Smash line are meant as collector's items more than anything at this point. Even in that Smash Wii U Direct, what was it the announcer said?

"BOY, IS IT SWEET TO LINE 'EM LIKE THIS!"

It doesn't matter if we view them as DLC or whatever. The content they offer is pretty small, and isn't where the cost to make the figures comes from. The figure itself is the main attraction.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Here is something that is bugging me;

I've been studying the economic and marketing aspect of what amiibo offer retailers.
The rare ones sell out regardless of where they are sold, and the exclusives only create hostility toward the retailers who provide them, as well as dangerous situations, and angry employees.

What do the retailers have to gain from paying for store exclusives?

HOW ARE YOU GUYS EVEN SEEING THEM AVAILABLE @@Arcadenik @@KenboCalrissian

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
A spokesperson for Target reached out to IGN to clarify that the Jigglypuff amiibo, while being a Target exclusive, will be available both online and in Target stores on May 29. Pre-orders went up yesterday and quickly sold out. We reported erroneously that the amiibo was online-only in the original article below, but the item will still be available on release day at both Target stores and online.
http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/04/...ive-to-target?abthid=551e9a745bfc547f2f000007

Top Bottom