• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Amiibo General Thread - Complete Smash Bros. Set Now Avaliable!

How do you feel about Amiibos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Here is something that is bugging me;

I've been studying the economic and marketing aspect of what amiibo offer retailers.
The rare ones sell out regardless of where they are sold, and the exclusives only create hostility toward the retailers who provide them, as well as dangerous situations, and angry employees.

What do the retailers have to gain from paying for store exclusives?

HOW ARE YOU GUYS EVEN SEEING THEM AVAILABLE @@Arcadenik @@KenboCalrissian
At the risk of making it even hard to get a request through (really, how much worse can it get...) get Page Monitor for Chrome. I got a pop-up notification right at 10 that Greninja's page was updated - by 10:05 it was back to Sold Out. So, this last stock wave lasted barely 5 minutes.

Economically, limiting supply is a tactic used to drive demand. Nintendo is intentionally doing this far, far beyond the extreme, to the point where they're actually leaving money on the table. They could be making so much more profit if they made more figures. In doing so, they're sacrificing customer loyalty. In the U.S., retailers are putting themselves in the line of fire with the games they're playing over exclusives. I don't understand the strategy anymore because so many of the individual stores complain that it's not even worth it to them to have the figures in stock - even if they're making, I don't know, I'll guess $8 per amiibo, after you factor in shipping to so many individual stores (think about it - an entire truck contained a whopping 3 Sheiks in the first drop of Wave 3 at my Target), shelf space, dealing with customers who are always more angry than they were the last time - in the long run, none of this is worth it to anybody.

Think about it - there are so many ways this could be fixed. Implement an online queuing system, for starters. Why won't they? Because they don't care. This is all just a game to them.

If anything, it's an experiment on how low we'll sink to cave to a retailer's demands, and we're failing.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What time was that article posted? Instant-loss on credibility if it was not by 11am yesterday; Jigglypuff was NOT available after that.

Do you have a link to that page monitor?
I got one after another user requested it, and it only leaves me with a notification every day at 4 am over minor changes, despite altering the details to alert me every 5 seconds, not once a day at 4am.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Soooo. Does this mean that the amiibo can still be gotten or...?

I just want my Jigglypuff. ;_;
If you show up in-store at Target early in the morning (like, real early, at this stage in the game), or stay at home and keep F5ing her product page, on May 29th, you should get her even if you don't pre-order.

Her situation is literally gonna be identical to Rosalina, except this time, they are actually letting us know in advance.

What time was that article posted? Instant-loss on credibility if it was not by 11am yesterday; Jigglypuff was NOT available after that.
Yesterday, but the quote I posted was an update made just now.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
TRU is the only retailer that's taking steps backwards since Wave 3. Gamestop at least tried, though I'm still shocked their servers got crushed. They do midnight releases all the time, how is this different?

Here's the worst part - and I think this might be the tipping point over whether I decide to give up on this crap... Between spamming clicks on the checkout button hoping my order will get processed, my boss just stopped over and asked me whether I'd be available to let a prospective new developer shadow me for the afternoon. My first thought wasn't "Awesome, an opportunity for career advancement," it was "God no, how will I be able to watch for Greninja?"

...This has completely and utterly gone too far. I realize now that this obsession is unhealthy and it's affecting my social and professional life. I need to let this go.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If you show up in-store at Target early in the morning (like, real early, at this stage in the game), or stay at home and keep F5ing her product page, on May 29th, you should get her even if you don't pre-order.

Her situation is literally gonna be identical to Rosalina, except this time, they are actually letting us know in advance.

So I could possibly get Jigglypuff at Target on May 29 if I show up early even though I missed out on pre-ordering her yesterday?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm going to go down to my local GameStop to see if they offer pre-orderss on Amiibos. I can't wait any longer on Smyths.

So I could possibly get Jigglypuff at Target on May 29 if I show up early even though I missed out on pre-ordering her yesterday?
Yes, and there is also the option of keeping a hawk's eye on her product page that day and ninja reflexes at the ready, and all of your account, purchasing, and shipping data ready to go. No fumbling around with logging in and entering card details. Have the site "remember" that **** in advance.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Unfortunately, it appears that there's a multitude of reports coming in about how TRU will have no preorder cards for Wave 4, and it will all be online only preorders. They will be sold on May 29th, however, in-stores.

This is rather saddening... I'll be checking myself shortly.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Unfortunately, it appears that there's a multitude of reports coming in about how TRU will have no preorder cards for Wave 4, and it will all be online only preorders. They will be sold on May 29th, however, in-stores.

This is rather saddening...
But then they would refuse to sell us amiibos in-store because we didn't pre-order.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

This is rather saddening...
Can vouch for this, a friend of mine is out right now hunting for pre-orders:

Raccoonman_900

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RMan_900
3DS FC
1418-6736-6840
Switch FC
SW-5350-0976-4122
Sadly, I wasn't able to get Ness and Jigglypuff, and Greninja I can't seem to put the store to ship to. Thankfully, on Amazon, I ordered Pac-Man and Charizard.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

This is rather saddening... I'll be checking myself shortly.
This is what I as told my multiple district managers, as well.
I'm not shocked- they sold many Lucario preorders from under those who held them.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
But then they would refuse to sell us amiibos in-store because we didn't pre-order.
Yep.

It appears that's it's going to be akin to what Pit was (which that they only got enough stock to fulfill the pre-orders...)

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767

Hmm...I have multiple ways of approaching this, but at the same time I'm limited since it is on a friday.

It all depends on when I should expect the store to open, the minimum time the amiibo is released, if my grandparents or mom are busy, etc.

But at least there is still hope.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
My friend calls me at 6:50 telling me that apparently the pre-orders went live at 3AM which is infuriating cause I was actually awake and didn't see them go live. I have to assume they went up right when I went to bed. ****in' thanks TRU and Nintendo. Wonderful shopping experience, truly.

Also my friend went to the local TRU, cause apparently someone there told him they'd have pre-order cards for Greninja. He gets there, is 5th in line, and apparently they had either had less than 4 pre-order cards, or they just flat out lied and had absolutely nothing.

Ugh, guess I just have to get lucky on Amazon or hope I'll have a lovely story about how Target had a surplus of Jigglypuff and Charizard on May 29th.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
My friend calls me at 6:50 telling me that apparently the pre-orders went live at 3AM which is infuriating cause I was actually awake and didn't see them go live. I have to assume they went up right when I went to bed. ****in' thanks TRU and Nintendo. Wonderful shopping experience, truly.

Also my friend went to the local TRU, cause apparently someone there told him they'd have pre-order cards for Greninja. He gets there, is 5th in line, and apparently they had either had less than 4 pre-order cards, or they just flat out lied and had absolutely nothing.

Ugh, guess I just have to get lucky on Amazon or hope I'll have a lovely story about how Target had a surplus of Jigglypuff and Charizard on May 29th.
This. A new collecting partner I met yesterday had called TRU and they refused to give him any information about the cards, even as late as last night. So he lined up this morning, was first in line, and even though employees and the manager walked past the line to come in, they waited until 10 AM to tell them they didn't have any cards.

****ing rude for the sake of being ****ing rude. Absolutely zero consideration for customers. Explain to me why you deserve my money.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
This. A new collecting partner I met yesterday had called TRU and they refused to give him any information about the cards, even as late as last night. So he lined up this morning, was first in line, and even though employees and the manager walked past the line to come in, they waited until 10 AM to tell them they didn't have any cards.

****ing rude for the sake of being ****ing rude. Absolutely zero consideration for customers. Explain to me why you deserve my money.
And they expect you to pay more than the MSRP?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm glad I have a good relationship with my Toys R Us.

The issue I have is that when I started going super regularly, just before wave 3 released, I was in a show with an accent and I was practicing by using it in my every day life when I did not know people.
I used it at many places, particularly Toys R Us, where a few employees commented on it to me.

I did not anticipate becoming so well known for this hobby at so many stores, nor to return so regularly for a year that I would be between different locations/retailers with similar people.

So, now that I'm done with that production, I am stuck in this accent, and meeting more and more amiibo hunters in my area (extremely popular hobby down here). It's actually rather funny. I feel to be an amiibo mascot.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Just went down to my local GameStop. No pre-orders. Though they did say "not yet", and they did say they have done them for previous waves, which matches up with what a GameStop Ireland employee told me on /r/amiibo.

I'll check back a week in advance of the release date, but I'm not too hopeful. This wouldn't be a problem if Smyths offered pre-orders and didn't start messing around with release dates.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Just went down to my local GameStop. No pre-orders. Though they did say "not yet", and they did say they have done them for previous waves, which matches up with what a GameStop Ireland employee told me on /r/amiibo.

I'll check back a week in advance of the release date, but I'm not too hopeful. This wouldn't be a problem if Smyths offered pre-orders and didn't start messing around with release dates.
Really? GameStop was doing in-store pre-orders yesterday... but that was in USA...

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well guys, I am off to train.
Keep an eye on Greninja, he went up for sale moments after I left the last three times.

Really? GameStop was doing in-store pre-orders yesterday... but that was in USA...
Sonic is not in the US.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Keep an eye on Greninja, he went up for sale moments after I left the last three times.

Sonic is not in the US.
I have seen a few Sonic in South Florida... and Mega Man and Sheik too as recently as yesterday at Toys R Us.

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
I was able to preorder a Charizard and Ness at my Gamestop yesterday. They said I was one of the lucky ones.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I'm only going to have Charizard since one of my buds back home knew I was in University so he got one for me, and I was able to get a Greninja for him because we both usually stay up until the wee hours of the morning anyway, and he was like "dude my card won't work on TRU's website, can you get me a Greninja and we can just trade instead of paying each other"

It's still bull that they lied and put them up for preorder hours before promised.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Things are completely different in different regions, and within Europe, things differ even further.

For example:

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Pure bull crap!!! Greninja went up again at 12:30pm and the website refused to add it to my cart... my boyfriend couldn't add it to his cart too.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Pure bull crap!!! Greninja went up again at 12:30pm and the website refused to add it to my cart... my boyfriend couldn't add it to his cart too.
The site seems to be glitching. My friend was able to click add to cart for ages, but the basket kept turning up empty. He linked me to the page while this was still happening, and this is what I saw:

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326

Sonic is not in the US.
I see Sonics all over the place here, man. Mega Man, too - both are pretty common, along with Sheik and Tink. Do you want me to snag you one?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Just as an FYI since I've seen it cause confusion a few times around this site, most people on other sites call me "Brawler" when they wanna call me something "for short".

------

As a European, this is me right now:

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The site seems to be glitching. My friend was able to click add to cart for ages, but the basket kept turning up empty. He linked me to the page while this was still happening, and this is what I saw:
Okay, I tested the cart... I added a Mario amiibo and it worked just fine. The issue probably stems from many people adding Greninja to their carts at the same time.

Tacticulbacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tacticulbacon
I just want my Lucina amiibo... :(
But of course, all the preorders get sold out ten minutes after it's available. All 4 of them.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I just wish I could get a Captain Falcon. I love the character to death and play him in every smash game, but I refuse to pay a scalper 50 bucks for him.

Anyone have any help? It would be greatly appreciated :falconmelee:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I thinkI just missed the reorder again. It allowed me to add it to cart on my phone, then it said I couldnt sign in (though I was previously signed in)as I tried to checkout.

Le sigh.

Funny, Ive even accepted the opportunity cost for trying to attain these things is far less than paying a scalper, yet I still attempt, to acquire one of my own through agonizing obsession, unmarked sleepless hours, and incessantly bothering friends to check.
I see Sonics all over the place here, man. Mega Man, too - both are pretty common, along with Sheik and Tink. Do you want me to snag you one?
I meant @sonicbrawler

I appreciate it though :)
@ Arcadenik Arcadenik are you also in south florida?

Last edited:
Top Bottom