• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ambitions as a Plumber; A Mario FAQ

Unreal91

Smash Journeyman
Jely:
mario vs fox, falco and falcon, grab at 70 = wd fsmash sweetspot, every DI, no way out.

Defence:
best way to get grabs is to substitute WD back fsmash with WD back grab. WD back fsmash is one of marios best and key techniques:

good for spacing
good to stop being rushed
fast and hard to punish with buffering
excellent to make people miss techs with no space to roll backwards (cornering)
arguably mario's best method to kill

Offence
second best way to get grabs is off of an utilt. you get get utilts in a variety of ways:

oo grab - just like marth, its good to utilt in the middle of a grab combo. No earlier than 45% if you want the regrab, please. keep it to 50% to be safe

tech chasing - DONT jab in the middle of a tech chase as mario! unless they are in the air, this does not work! best to stand Fsmash out of the range of their getup attack, then chase their chosen option with an utilt

WD forwards utilt - this technique is ****. like the opposite of WD back fsmash, only it leads into more combo **** into fsmash

opponent is shielding - upon testing, nair has the most shield stun. however, as uair autocancels, it is good to get max momentum (only achieved through perfect bair waveland then jumping on correct frame) with a uair, through their shield. When you land, you will be out of their range and able to utilt/smash/grab the back of their shield.

oo fair - fair is good, and a good way to bait them to attack out of shield. space a fair against their shield, then retreat just out of their range. what you will find is that they will sometimes attack the thin air between you two. fsmash/grab to punish.

oo bair waveland - only usable at the beginning of a stock, or when bair is fresh. this works by relying on ur opponent missing their tech. How this works, is when they are laying on the floor, use the waveland after bair and pivot -> utilt their missed tech. i personally chose to jab reset -> charged fsmash, unless they are good at buffering rolls out of jab reset.

oo uair - fairly simple, you have the choice of aggressive or defensive: aggressive - rush down with uair. simple! :) make sure it auto cancels, and hit between 20-40%. what you will find is that the uair will chain into the utilt, at such a speed the combo is guaranteed. defensive bait them to approach with a backwards momentum SH uair. they may think u messed up, and try to attack you. what will really happen, is them running into utilt

oo dair - easily the best and most consistent method, what you will find is that even with a fast fall, full hop dair will not need to be l-cancelled. this chains into utilt and grab like a beauty at all %'s, provided you didn't mess up the autocancel.

Defending
since i started maining falco i stopped shield grabbing. i suppose you could shield grab, best way to grab spacies is wait for aerial -> shine, then grab before the next aerial.
usmash oos - contrary to popular believe this move combo's like a beast! 35-45%, it will combo right into a grab or utilt or fsmash.
general trixies - so many, be creative. dash dance -> shield -> uair oos -> wd jab reset.
FH uair oos is too good. under a platform, FH nair and it will auto cancel onto the platform above. fall through the platform with bair and that should auto cancel too. possibilities are endless.

im so done with this post now, try these techniques! they will 100% improve ur mario game and these are just a very select few

i didnt do hardly any of this before i mained falco... i have been busy the last few days :)

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
.....someone should make a grab thread dude. if you guys dont want to make it i will but it will take me longer cuz ive been hella busy lately just let me know

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
didnt you say
70% grab> wd>sweetspot Fsmash Fox, Falco, and falcon
theres nothing they can do about it.

I think thats what you said because i was going to ask you thats out of Dthrow right?

Edit i have no clue but i see you still have that line in you post lol

Unreal91

Smash Journeyman
no from a uthrow.

dthrow is aite.. i see 5 reasons to use it against FFers

CG above 80
utilt around 90 (it works to make the utilts knockback weaker; cos u hit with the very bottom of the hitbox, slicing that distance of the knockback)
dthrow -> nair to kill
dthrow -> fsmash to kill

you could be creative and do a whole load of **** things with it but i mainly uthrow / fthrow at like 10% or to edgeguard. bthrow kills falco alot

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
well you guys can Uair with A cause its better or whatever but im going to to use C-stick like i always do.

@chival: dude i have some recorded in the Vid thread in one of the newer pages
Do you go to Midwest tournaments by any chance? I haven't seen any matches involving you on Juggleguy's channel. :ohwell:

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
J3ly/unreal, Pine, Bamesy, M@l, and a rookie.....dont you guys want to help me make a New MU guide for each character. its about time we made a new one with update info unless you want to get a Mod and add on to the one we already have

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
No. I didn't have a problem. I found some of them on YouTube.

I've watched a couple matches so far. Your Mario seems pretty good. You might want to work on your DI a little though. Mario's f-throw shouldn't be killing you if your DI is on point.

Also, you got shield grabbed a bit more than I would like to see. Remember that whenever you do an aerial, your job is to make sure that it's spaced so that you can't easily get punished. So when you hit someone's shield with fair or something, DI yourself back a little so that you're out of range for a shield grab. You can also cross them up (land behind them) and bair, so that they don't have that immediate 7 frame shield grab to punish poor spacing.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
J3ly/unreal, Pine, Bamesy, M@l, and a rookie.....dont you guys want to help me make a New MU guide for each character. its about time we made a new one with update info unless you want to get a Mod and add on to the one we already have
well I made a terrible mistake by not amounting the information that we gathered by just discussing what we have been discussing

so I may go back into the depths of that thread and start compiling all of the useful things

OR maybe somebody could take a matchup or two and write it up for me, to which I will compile into a word document and post on the main matchup thread that we have

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
we just got an injection of people who actually know what they're talking about, and I'd like to keep it that way by not making every thread a social one

spam in the spam, good stuff in the good stuff, you feel me?

although our matchup thread is dynamite right now

Top Bottom