• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ambitions as a Plumber; A Mario FAQ

a rookie

Smash Ace
Yeah, I've played against French people at Genesis and they kept saying stuff. I could feel the hate in their words T.T *awkward look*

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Yeah, I've played against French people at Genesis and they kept saying stuff. I could feel the hate in their words T.T *awkward look*
Just in case you were serious : if it was a tournament set, the only French you played is me in doubles, and I was teaming with Tonberry who is Norwegian, not French. And even if I did speak French with another Frenchie who was here, you can be sure we didn't talk **** on your back, it's just not the way we act (at least, the 4 of us who were there, there are *******s everywhere and France is no exception :urg:).

If it was in singles, then it must have been a Canadian from Québec, and I don't really know them, although they seemed pretty nice.

Also, fact : speaking a language your opponent doesn't understand is indeed really useful in team (especially when you understand their language :awesome:)

</offtopic>

a rookie

Smash Ace
Just in case you were serious : if it was a tournament set, the only French you played is me in doubles, and I was teaming with Tonberry who is Norwegian, not French. And even if I did speak French with another Frenchie who was here, you can be sure we didn't talk **** on your back, it's just not the way we act (at least, the 4 of us who were there, there are *******s everywhere and France is no exception :urg:).

If it was in singles, then it must have been a Canadian from Québec, and I don't really know them, although they seemed pretty nice.

Also, fact : speaking a language your opponent doesn't understand is indeed really useful in team (especially when you understand their language :awesome:)

</offtopic>
Yes, it was you two xD Lol! But yeah, I was just really thrown off by you two speaking to each other. I wish I could speak fluent Japanese. Next time I'm teaming with someone and something unlucky happens to me, I'll yell out BAKENA! Haha. But yeah, I remember it like yesterday =D You guys beat us(Me and Pink Reaper) 2-1 in pools. I was the Fox, he was the Falcon. It's ok if you don't remember though. GG's<3

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Yes, it was you two xD Lol! But yeah, I was just really thrown off by you two speaking to each other. I wish I could speak fluent Japanese. Next time I'm teaming with someone and something unlucky happens to me, I'll yell out BAKENA! Haha. But yeah, I remember it like yesterday =D You guys beat us(Me and Pink Reaper) 2-1 in pools. I was the Fox, he was the Falcon. It's ok if you don't remember though. GG's<3
That's a bit weird, because Tonberry is a native Norwegian speaker, and I'm as French as one can be (lame accent is definitely included in the package :mrgreen:), and the only language both of us know is English, so bad accents apart, we should have been understandable.

And yeah, I remember both of you, even though I remember PR a bit more since we chat quite a bit. Also if you want, you may have a revenge against me if you attend Genesis 2 since I'll be there ;)

And now for french 101 :

Je parle un peu de français. :bee:
Almost ! We just don't use any preposition like your "little bit of english".

Je parle un beaucoup de assez bien francais. Je l'ai étudié a pendant un cours à l'université course.

I didn't feel like doing the accents and such
Litterally : I speak fairly good French. I studied it during a class at the university.
Pretty much everything in your sentence was wrong and yet very understandable which is what really matters. Good job !

Also, to try to stay a bit on topic (I'm supposed to behave like a mod after all :bee:) :
Mario's popularity suddenly increased in France. I assume it's the influence of Scorpion Master, but some people have been using him not as a main, but as a serious freeplay character with which they want to progress.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
lol thank you for that because I have a test tomorrow that I do need to study for and that helped a little

is there possibly a channel we could subscribe to for friendlies and such to see these marios?

I'd love to see new takes on the plumber

n0ne

Smash Ace
Has anyone checked out Project M yet.?
Came out yesterday. well, its an official demo lol. but Marios in it.
Check it out ppl. its nice.

Unreal91

Smash Journeyman
J3ly:

Mario's popularity suddenly increased in France. I assume it's the influence of Scorpion Master, but some people have been using him not as a main, but as a serious freeplay character with which they want to progress.
*cough cough* SNY *cough cough* spread the word of mario cos i was ****** all the french people init :D watch me **** JD before i had any EU experience and generally couldn't play the game for sh^t.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im3_E7A8DTw

n0ne

Smash Ace
Project M < Melee
^ this this this this this (take it from someone who's played P:M and finds it to just be a watered down version of Melee; lol)
... I said nice, not better.

Im just trying out some weird stuff with mario, hes kind of a mix of doc+ plumber,

Bair is Doc`s
Fair is sometimes plumber`s, sometimes Docs.

Has some really crazy combos too

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
... I said nice, not better.

Im just trying out some weird stuff with mario, hes kind of a mix of doc+ plumber,

Bair is Doc`s
Fair is sometimes plumber`s, sometimes Docs.

Has some really crazy combos too
they made his fair a hitbox thing? srsly?

that's mad difficult to space then >.>

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
U-tilt gets CCed by people who actually know the matchup. Always D-smash or grab after F-air.

I don't like Project M...from an execution standpoint.

There's so many minor mechanic changes that affect timing and execution. Doing Mario's B-air -> waveland seems a lot more tricky for instance. Plus you can't fullhop waveland on DL64s platforms.

imo Project M isn't a good transition from Melee. I feel it's actually better if you originally never played Melee competitively.

Balancewise though seems solid, but Link still seems to suck lol.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
If you think people will CC the u-tilt, you can just do another fair -> whatever or up-smash to break their CC, then jab reset -> whatever. Lol.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If you think people will CC the u-tilt, you can just do another fair -> whatever or up-smash to break their CC, then jab reset -> whatever. Lol.
Loses to CC input + Shield, which if done right can autotech, which you do not want against someone you just U-smashed. D-smash does more damage and is safe on hit.

Grabbing also > all that. Given that you can actually force a missed tech after grab.

U-tilt after F-air is only good once the F-air starts lifting them from the ground, but in those situations, D-smash is still usually better, or sometimes F-smash as well.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Fair -> u-tilt at lowish percents definitely has utility I would say, especially if you notice people aren't CCing. On floaties, u-tilt is quite handy at those low-mid percents.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Fair -> u-tilt at lowish percents definitely has utility I would say, especially if you notice people aren't CCing. On floaties, u-tilt is quite handy at those low-mid percents.
Except you can almost always simply D-throw -> U-tilt for essentially the same damage and better reliability than U-tiltx2. Against Luigi and Samus in particular, you don't want to try anything fancy, especially if it gets you into a trade situation with them.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Anti-air U-tilts in specific are really good, or U-tilting when you read that someone wants to jump out of shield after you pressure them. U-tilts like those often require a read, but the reward for pulling one off is usually worth it.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
So scream-chasing didn't work

but shield pressure scream did work

(they are in their shield and you just sit outside of it/ dash dance outside of it and scream in their face)

Top Bottom