• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I the only one who prefers the original Dragon Ball to Dragon Ball Z?

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Link to original post: [drupal=4882]Am I the only one who prefers the original Dragon Ball to Dragon Ball Z?[/drupal]

I love both to death, but I feel like Dragon Ball is just a little better.

Because, for one, I hated how the humans got treated late in DBZ, especially Tien and Yamcha, who couldn't even hold their own against villains like Cell and Buu. There are a few other things like SSJ3 and how the first 2 SSJ's became a joke after the Cell Games Saga, but I won't get into that right now.

And, two, I never liked how Launch just faded away almost completely in DBZ except for maybe a few cameo appearances.

I just feel like the story overall was a little more interesting than DBZ's, plus I preferred DB's lightheartedness to DBZ's seriousness.

What do y'all think?

D

Deleted member

I agree wholeheartedly. I love both series, but I consider the original to be better (near perfect if I must say). For one, the original didn't have horrible fillers that dragged the show down.

:phone:

SamusPoop

Banned via Warnings
I doubt someone could even troll about how they like the spice boys.

But goku's car was an amazing filler to be fair it made up for most of them.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
The first 13th were, to say the least, complete garbage.

Yep. Although I liked the ending of GT way more than Z's and the movie with Goku Jr, for the most part I just consider GT a slap in the face to the entire series

GT actually had a lot of potential and was somewhat refreshing compared to Z (faster pace, no filler), but overall they screwed it up pretty bad

Levingy

Smash Apprentice
I like the original dragon ball more than the Z. Z was maybe better to the half-way though. To the point where android 17 and 18 came. But after that it started getting worse and as overall wasn't as good as the original dragon ball.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yep, you are definitely not alone there. DBZ completely through out reasoning in fights, it was just a lot of explosion ki blasts (that quickly were capable of blowing up the Earth, even Frieza could do to it with a finger) yet the blasts were always small and never blew up the Earth (and massive blasts on the Earth would go unexplained). Not to mention, there is nothing to show how a person gets stronger other than their punches or ki blasts just have the capability to hurt people with a higher power level. That is it. In DB they had techniques and spells, which barely had anything to do with anything in DBZ.

And like you say, humans become useless in the face of Saiyans immediately, even Goku's longtime friend Krillin becomes known for getting owned among DBZ fans, and if someone were to have only seen that it'd give them the impression that he is useless, but in DB he was formidable. As was Tien and Yamcha (there best moments were against Nappa... which is incredibly sad considering his power level compared to the rest and how they actually accomplish nothing).

Edit: I don't even consider GT canon. Never seen all, couldn't make it the whole way through. The movie was quite emotional though, so that is kind of worth watching, has a more DB feeling to it as well.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Holder of the Heel you have a TERRRRRRRIBLE colour to read, like, the worst ever, imo.

I think DBZ is better than Dragonball, dealt with it.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I loooooooove Dragon Ball, and prefer it to DBZ even though I also love DBZ.

DB was a lot funnier, and imo it's cast of characters all had entertaining quirks. You don't get enough Roshi hilarity in DBZ, and like you said Launch just completely disappears, which is sad.

Also Goku is just the sweetest thing in DB xD

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Launch was amazing.

DB actually had plot, and character development.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Both DBZ and DB were very enjoyable, but it's obvious DB is better. As Teran said, Roshi wasn't nearly as funny in DBZ.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
To me the problem DBZ&GT is the power inflation.
Look DBGT goku(end of series after SSJ 4) Vs DBZ goku(SSJ 3 is as strong as he can go) would be prety boring without adjusting the power levels so that SSj 3 could fight SSJ 4, or using some gimmick to make the fight interesting,or Ignoring SSJ 4 almost completly ect,ect,ect....
Also in DBZ it seems as if every one is enjoying their hourly doses of Super Steriods.
Also Its stupid how Akira Toriyama favors Goku over the rest of the cast he ALWAYS WINS over the rest of the cast who are just punching bags or distractions or filler characters to wait for Goku's big apearance and than takes out the bad guys.

...(Shakes head in disagreement to UT's Character Choice of no SSJ 4[only fusion ssj4]and no ssj2 vegeta....)

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
To me the problem DBZ&GT is the power inflation.
Look DBGT goku(end of series after SSJ 4) Vs DBZ goku(SSJ 3 is as strong as he can go) would be prety boring without adjusting the power levels so that SSj 3 could fight SSJ 4, or using some gimmick to make the fight interesting,or Ignoring SSJ 4 almost completly ect,ect,ect....
Also in DBZ it seems as if every one is enjoying their hourly doses of Super Steriods.
Also Its stupid how Akira Toriyama favors Goku over the rest of the cast he ALWAYS WINS over the rest of the cast who are just punching bags or distractions or filler characters to wait for Goku's big apearance and than takes out the bad guys.

...(Shakes head in disagreement to UT's Character Choice of no SSJ 4[only fusion ssj4]and no ssj2 vegeta....)
He wanted to make DBZ about Gohan but fans wanted Goku to be the guy so \o__o/

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Well... I dunno. Kinda. TeamFourStar does a great job with DBZ Abridged and I know a few people who've never even watched DBZ before that love DBZ Abridged so in a sense, yeah.

Quote from that video: "Nobody watches Dragon Ball"

'Tis the sad truth :urg:

PersonallyIPreferDair

Smash Apprentice
I loved Dragon Ball.

After awhile I felt that DBZ was just repeating itself over and over again >.<
1. Goku is strong
2. Villian is stronger and kills every civilian
3. Vegeta says something cocky
4. Goku dies
5. Everyone waits like 54549 episodes for Goku to return
6. Goku owns the villian (save Cell)
7. Revive everyone with the Dragon Balls
8. Repeat

Dragon Ball had other story elements that made it fun to watch.

D

Deleted member

Teran said:
He wanted to make DBZ about Gohan but fans wanted Goku to be the guy so \o__o/
Where did you hear that? All I heard was that he wanted to focus on Goten during the last arch, but fan demand brought Goku back. Too bad as it would have been interesting to see how the world would have done without Goku's involvement.

Tugnus

Smash Cadet
Actually a majority of the fan base prefers DB over DBZ. It's just that a majority of the American fans prefer DBZ because DB grew in popularity mostly from the manga not the anime and the manga fanbase in japan is much larger. In interviews with almost every mangaka, especially the mangakas for the Big 3(Naruto, Bleach, One Piece), will tell you that their biggest influence is Toriyama and DB.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Where did you hear that? All I heard was that he wanted to focus on Goten during the last arch, but fan demand brought Goku back. Too bad as it would have been interesting to see how the world would have done without Goku's involvement.
Not sure for the sources, but I also heard that Gohan was supposed to carry over after the Cell-Saga.

In fact, wasn't DBZ supposed to initially end at the Cell saga?

With that being said, while my nostalgia would make me watch DBZ over DB, I agree that on DB is waaaay better.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
I heard that Akira Toriyama wanted to continue DBZ right after the last episode of DBZ (After Goku fought Uub) But they disagreed with him and decided for DB GT. I belive it would be like Goku and Uub training (At first) Maybe SSJ 4 might have been something different if the followed Akira Toriyama(or never even existed!)
Oh yeah... And DB AF was just an April Fools hoax AF is code for Dragon Ball April Fools.
All we got was a Title and a Picture of SSJ 5.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Not sure for the sources, but I also heard that Gohan was supposed to carry over after the Cell-Saga.

In fact, wasn't DBZ supposed to initially end at the Cell saga?

With that being said, while my nostalgia would make me watch DBZ over DB, I agree that on DB is waaaay better.
Actually, it was supposed to end at the Frieza saga

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
I could understand why DB didn't get games unlike DBZ/GT. Why? Because DBZ/GT had more fights than the original DB, and haven't you noticed that most DB games are usually less fights, more traveling, running, puzzles ,and generic enemies compared to DBZ/GT. As it was said DB does have more plot development than the others, also hmmmm..... I do wonder how would Buu be defeated without goku's interaction. Dont you? I wish that was a What If? Saga. Ugghh...... Now I want SSJ 4 Vegitto...

EDIT: Ironic I just saw a DBZ DVD commercial, and it kinda made me laugh considering the subject.

D

Deleted member

@alex6309: Dragon Ball did get plenty of games. The two Origin games for example are solid titles that I would recommend to any Dragon Ball fans.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I'd say one weakness of DB is that there were WAAAY too many tournaments. Three I believe. It has been a while since I've seen it, but that fact being true seems a bit lazy to me.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
What I'm saying is that DBZ get's the majority of the games and GT characters and Plot/Saga are in some DBZ games(Fighting). I can only remeber 3-4 DB games (Origins 1 and 2 and RoKP).

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
I heard that Akira Toriyama wanted to continue DBZ right after the last episode of DBZ (After Goku fought Uub) But they disagreed with him and decided for DB GT.
Its actually quite the opposite...
Toriyama wanted to end DBZ since like the frieza saga, but his editor convinced him to continue...

and lol @ dbgt being a slap to the face...
look at the bright side.
at least it wasnt like dragonball evolution :awesome:

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
To whomever said Tien's best moment was against Nappa, I disagree with that, I think his fight against Semi-Perfect Cell was the best (even though it wasn't really a fight LOL)

And DBZ should have ended with Vegeta sacrificing himself to
destroy Buu

@ShadwPhoenx- Evolution was a pretty good spoof though LOL

I consider that movie to be to the Dragon Ball series what that horrible *** Super Mario Bros. movie is to the Mario series

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I've been reading DB a bit from the beginning, since I'm getting the entire series and DBZ manga for Christmas (the giant 3-in-1 volumes). It seems to so good! I wish DBZ was just a more serious version of the first, without losing all the character development and individuality. Can't wait to spend a week reading all of it! :D

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
To whomever said Tien's best moment was against Nappa, I disagree with that, I think his fight against Semi-Perfect Cell was the best (even though it wasn't really a fight LOL)

@ShadwPhoenx- Evolution was a pretty good spoof though LOL

I consider that movie to be to the Dragon Ball series what that horrible *** Super Mario Bros. movie is to the Mario series

I think Tien was among the cooler humans in DBZ. he helped against cell and even showed up with buu...

LOL no db evolution was terrible. i walked out of the theater extremely disappointed...

NNID
Budget_Player
Dragon Ball is miles better than Dragon Ball Z. The characters have actual development, there are decent jokes and the story is intriguing. The story somehow loses gravity after getting a "wish" spell turns into a 10-minute trip and some funny incantations (DBZA pointed this out*– Shenron always mentions something like "Oh no, not you guys again"). The logical inconsistencies become far more clear, as has been mentioned with the "blow up the world" scenario, and it just feels like an interchangeable line of power creep, with the villains getting less and less interesting and more and more tritely evil each time. The special attacks all essentially come down to "Kamehameha knockoff" (or just straight-up ripping off the Kamehameha).

Dragon Ball was a lot more creative and interesting, and there seemed to be more on the line, despite or perhaps because not every other ******* could explodinate the world. The villains seemed to have real human reasons for their actions. DBZ became what essentially amounts to a parody of power-creeping action mangas, but didn't notice.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Dragon Ball is miles better than Dragon Ball Z. The characters have actual development, there are decent jokes and the story is intriguing. The story somehow loses gravity after getting a "wish" spell turns into a 10-minute trip and some funny incantations (DBZA pointed this out*– Shenron always mentions something like "Oh no, not you guys again"). The logical inconsistencies become far more clear, as has been mentioned with the "blow up the world" scenario, and it just feels like an interchangeable line of power creep, with the villains getting less and less interesting and more and more tritely evil each time. The special attacks all essentially come down to "Kamehameha knockoff" (or just straight-up ripping off the Kamehameha).

Dragon Ball was a lot more creative and interesting, and there seemed to be more on the line, despite or perhaps because not every other ******* could explodinate the world. The villains seemed to have real human reasons for their actions. DBZ became what essentially amounts to a parody of power-creeping action mangas, but didn't notice.
You still watched it, didnt you? :cool:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Dragon Ball is the best.

holy **** actual fighting.
holy **** character development
holy **** legit plots

DB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DBZ
You forgot

holy **** Bulma's vagina!
holy **** everything Master Roshi does LOLOLOL

And stuff

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
People might have preferences between DB and Z, but i prefer to look at the big picture.
The whole story of Goku is legendary and timeless.
Dragon Ball + Z will forever be the greatest anime/manga of all time in my heart

Top Bottom