• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternate Costumes CONFIRMED

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I don't think that the alternate costumes boosts the chances of the Avatar from Awakening. I think that there are other hurdles the Avatar must overcome before he/she becomes playable. (the biggest ones being Roy and Chrom) However, if the Avatar does get in, then I think that we will see both the male and female be playable and alternate costumes of each other.

If nothing else, this gender alt removes Robin's biggest hurdle for NOT being a viable candidate; no defined gender.

Although yeah, Roy and Chrom are the ones s/he'd have to compete with still, and both these sword lords are very popular choices.

Guess this means we can have Dr. Mario back at the very least too! Can't see it working for Young Link or Pichu though unless the name is altered based on the outfit. In which case there's a chance this is how Roy's returning too...not sure how to feel about that.

An Assist Trophy? Still incredibly unlikely. It's the only possibilty other than an alt costume, and even then it's an extremely slim one.

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this. If it is and he's just positioned Miss Fit to match Sir Fit a lot of us are going to be gutted.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Guess this means we can have Dr. Mario back at the very least too! Can't see it working for Young Link or Pichu though unless the name is altered based on the outfit. In which case there's a chance this is how Roy's returning too...not sure how to feel about that.
I highly doubt that is going to happen to Roy.

Dr. Mario is the only cut Melee veteran I could see ending up as a costume.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Technically Sakurai didn't say it was an alt costume, so we must be cautious. It does look good though.
This is exactly what I've thought myself. Captain Falcon and Ganondorf had identical animations too, and they were separate entities. Who's to say that the Male Wii Fit Trainer is a separate entity too.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If its honestly another character, that would be ridiculous. It's 100% an alt costume, or Sakurai would've introduced it another way.

Is there a new character on the dojo? No? We're good.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If its honestly another character, that would be ridiculous. It's 100% an alt costume, or Sakurai would've introduced it another way.

Is there a new character on the dojo? No? We're good.
Remember, Sakurai can be a tricky person. If you think that you've figured him out, he'll always prove you wrong.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I just wondered what if this was a clone character for Smash, as in having his own slot?

I bet the world would flip themselves.

For some reason I might just believe the above is true due no confirmation on if he's an Alt. Costume.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Remember, Sakurai can be a tricky person. If you think that you've figured him out, he'll always prove you wrong.
So... in other words, we should use reverse psychology on Sakurai... :troll:

If we say the male Wii Fit Trainer is definitely a separate character, then Sakurai will purposefully go out of his way to prove us wrong by making him an alternate costume...

If we say Toad is deconfirmed because of the Peach's Toad picture, then surely Sakurai will purposefully make Toad playable to prove us wrong...

If we say we are getting a Pokemon character on October 2013 to coincide with Pokemon X & Y, then Sakurai will purposefully refrain from showing us a Pokemon veteran or newcomer just to prove us wrong.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
Makes me wonder, will Mario now have a Doctor Mario as an alt? Luigi with a vacuum for an alt?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I just wondered what if this was a clone character for Smash, as in having his own slot?

I bet the world would flip themselves.

For some reason I might just believe the above is true due no confirmation on if he's an Alt. Costume.
First thing I did when I saw the pic was scroll down to see if he had his own profile page with a profile art and 10 pics.
It would be disappointing if this actually is a clone...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
First thing I did when I saw the pic was scroll down to see if he had his own profile page with a profile art and 10 pics.
It would be disappointing if this actually is a clone...
I did the exact same thing this morning! I was relieved to see that he did not have his own profile so I am pretty sure he is an alternate costume.

Notice that Wii Fit Trainer's name on the profile does not say "Female Wii Fit Trainer" or "Wii Fit Trainer ♀" because it would have implied that we would get a character named "Male Wii Fit Trainer" or "Wii Fit Trainer ♂".

D

Deleted member

"You've got me confused with the other guy. THIS Pit is no pawn."

- Dark Pit

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I just hope male wii fit trainer gets a male voice athough if still have female (biggest lol ever)

Anyway costume ideas (by the way also doing newcomers and veterans not confirmed

Wii fit trainer: male version (CONFIRMED)

Mario: dr mario

Bowser: dry bone bowser

Villager: female version

Mega man : X (high doubt it will happen though)

Olimar : any of the 4 other astronauts (louie/charlie/alph/brittany)

Now for if confirmed characters

Ridley:meta ridley

Little mac: one of the boxers that was not mac

Mewtwo: armored mewtwo

R.O.B : acient minister

Wario : wariware wario (but reverse the order you start as mario wario first)(and oviously)

Ice climbers: switch climber (oviously)

Thats all i got but i might start a form for alternate costume ideas

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
It's an alternate costume 100%
It would be insanely stupid to have Wii Fit Trainer and Wii Fit Trainer Male.

Plus there isn't even a character page on the site.

C'mon guys.
Sakurai isn't as slippery as you all make him out to be

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
This does not excite me at all.

The prospect of female Villager and Pokémon Trainer, however, certainly does. I'd honestly be fine if those were the only alternate costumes.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Y'all are really still arguing over whether or not this is a new character?

Don't be silly. Yes, Sakurai has altered patterns we thought we were seeing, but the banner and a new character showing up on the site is not mere speculatory patterns like the ones that he has proved wrong. So it's not really comparable.

Anyway, as I said in the other topic, there is absolutely no excuse left not to add Leaf as an alternate costume to Pokemon Trainer. If PT returns at all, that is. I won't even ask for the protagonists of every generation, because that would be a ton of work. Just have Red and Leaf, and we're set.

EDIT: Also, what in the world do some have against alternate costumes? I think this could only make the game better. =/

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Wii Fit Trainer is referred as a female in other languages, such as Spanish, French and Portuguese. Those three languages have her gender explicitly stated in her name. Whereas "trainer" in English could refer to any gender, the same is not true for those three languages, where the word varies with gender.

The translators must take it into account when localizing the game to those languages. From a programming standpoint, it wouldn't be very difficult to do, though.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
The only costumes I can see making it through would be Mario as Dr. Mario, Female versions of Pokemon Trainer and Villager, and MAYBE Outset Toon Link because it doesn't really change the character. Things like Roy, Young Link, Rosalina, Dry Bowser, etc are not going to happen because they're separate characters from the originals. The only reason that Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Pokemon Trainer could have gender changes is because their names are so generic that it doesn't matter what gender they are.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I don't know if this necessarily a guaranteed confirmation of alt costumes for everyone this might just be another Wario deal where the Wii Fit trainer is the only one with an alt. Now I really hope this does lead to alternate costumes for everyone as I want that but until it's revealed for certain I'm going to assume this is another Wario type deal.

-TAG-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuprSmashKing16
It would be awesome if these alternate costumes also changes how characters attacks look cosmetically or even how their final smash looks.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't know if this necessarily a guaranteed confirmation of alt costumes for everyone this might just be another Wario deal where the Wii Fit trainer is the only one with an alt. Now I really hope this does lead to alternate costumes for everyone as I want that but until it's revealed for certain I'm going to assume this is another Wario type deal.
Wario confirmed to only have the Wario Ware costume now. :troll:

Nah, seriously. I'd imagine at least the Wii Fit Trainer, Wario and hopefully Villager to have an alternate costume this time around. I'd love to see the likes of Link, Toon Link, Pokemon Trainer and Mario etc to get one too though.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The only alternate costumes we're going to get are (Probably):

Wii fit male and female
Warioware/ Wario Land Wario
Dark Pit alternate color
Blood Falcon alternate color
Daisy alternate color

Edit: IF they included a Dry Bowser alternate costume I'd be maining Bowser this next game

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I would prefer Green/Blue, in the Japanese Manga greed is the male rival so blu was the female while in the English Manga it is the opposite, since it would tie more with Red.
Which doesn't make sense. English translation rival Blue is better

Red should start with Charizard - Named Red because Charizard is Red, Blue should start with Blastoise - Named Blue because Blastoise is Blue, and the FEMALE Green should start with Venusaur - Named Green because Venusaur is Green

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Which doesn't make sense. English translation rival Blue is better

Red should start with Charizard - Named Red because Charizard is Red, Blue should start with Blastoise - Named Blue because Blastoise is Blue, and the FEMALE Green should start with Venusaur - Named Green because Venusaur is Green

I wasn't arguing who was better :p. IIRC from the English manga, Red had Venusaurr, Blue had Charizard, and Greed had Blastoise, which means they had the weakness to their color so to speak. But didn't they end up trading or something and they all ended up with the tarter that fits them. But still, I was just saying I would have the female character from Red's era because it fits better.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The only alternate costumes we're going to get are (Probably):

Wii fit male and female
Warioware/ Wario Land Wario
Dark Pit alternate color
Blood Falcon alternate color
Daisy alternate color

Edit: IF they included a Dry Bowser alternate costume I'd be maining Bowser this next game
I'm expecting at least the Wario Land, Green (Girl) Pokemon Trainer, Girl Villager (oh, the yandere memes with that), and sex swaps for the Pokemon which won't be that big.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The villager could very well have the different faces and hair as well as male and female.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
How would a separate character make any sense, though? Male Wii Fit Trainer is literally just a gender swap of the Wii Fit Trainer we already had. Ganondorf is at least a completely different character with different attributes (he uses dark magic in some of his attacks). Why waste an extra character slot when it could very easily be an alt? It's not like we haven't seen alts before; Wario introduced the idea to us in Brawl.

Mr.Universe

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1864-9620-1149
Y'all are happy now about Alt. costumes.

But just wait until Ridley as Charizard alt. is confirmed. :troll:

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
The only costumes I can see making it through would be Mario as Dr. Mario, Female versions of Pokemon Trainer and Villager, and MAYBE Outset Toon Link because it doesn't really change the character. Things like Roy, Young Link, Rosalina, Dry Bowser, etc are not going to happen because they're separate characters from the originals. The only reason that Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Pokemon Trainer could have gender changes is because their names are so generic that it doesn't matter what gender they are.
Dry bowser is not a seperate character from bowser, be IS bowser but just dead. and technically male fit trainer is a seperate character from female, because they are not the same person

Top Bottom