• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternate Costumes CONFIRMED

"Shion"

Smash Ace
NNID
Shion_Sensei
****** better go super saiyan or get a large ass gun to **** mother****ers with.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Wouldn't that make Ash a female?
But how can you be certain? Since it speaks telepathically it can pick any voice it chooses. For anything we know, it could in fact be genderless, or in fact an effeminate male?

Regardless of gender, it makes more sense for it to have a female voice, since this new Mewtwo has a completely different personality when compared to the older one.
the older Mewtwo had a much more brash/bolder voice because he was a psychotic anti-social who hated everything that wasn't hies, in short, it picked a more brash, masculine voice because it wanted people to fear him, it wanted to be hated, it wanted to be feared!

the newer Mewtwo AFAIK (still haven't seen the movie), seems to be much more acceptable around other living creatures, but still wishes to have it's privacy. So an assertive female voice would have been the best choice, especially in Japanese culture where strong female leaders speak in an authoritative monotone (much like how both Mewtwos speak). So the newer ones feminine voice is not so intimidating to be off-putting to someone, but still demands the respect and authority that a being like Mewtwo would place onto others....

Wait, what were we talking about again?

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Ah yes, know I remember.

Since Sakurai stated that the WiiU version will focus more on content while while 3DS version focuses on personalization, do you think that alternative costumes will be a WiiU exclusive? Or do you think it will make it to the 3DS too?

Malion

Smash Ace
hmm, remember that alleged leaks list of new people?
wft
villager
megaman
pacman
mii

... now all of those (save mega-man) have a direct alternate gender analogue. With Mii being either gender and pac man having Ms Pac man (even Roll exists though that's a stretch)... makes me think we could potentially be seeing a lot more of rule 63 in sm4sh.

ChickenWing13

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Frosty93
Ah yes, know I remember.

Since Sakurai stated that the WiiU version will focus more on content while while 3DS version focuses on personalization, do you think that alternative costumes will be a WiiU exclusive? Or do you think it will make it to the 3DS too?
Most likely going to have certain exclusives for both such as the train and nintendog stage for 3DS exclusive.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
If I may, without getting mauled, I think that Sakurai will probably only give alternative costumes to characters who either:
A. Are fairly generic in name, therefore a character 'swap' so to speak would be acceptable, or
B. Have worthwhile, iconic clothing that differs enough from the characters' standard look to be added as a costume.
For example...
Miss Fit = Mr. Fitt with A
Boy Villager = Girl Villager with A
Male Robin = Female Robin with A
Male Pokemon Trainer = Female Pokemon Trainer with A
Hero's Clothes Toon Link = Outset Pajamas Toon Link with B
Warioware Wario = Classic Wario with B
Regular Fox = Star Fox Assault Fox with B
Varia Suit Samus = Fusion Suit Samus/Phazon Suit Samus with B
Fabulous Marth = Pantless Marth with B

In this instance, proposals like Daisy --> Peach and Roy --> Marth would not work.
This merely seems like the most obvious and cautious thing that Sakurai would do. If he considered having, say, Wolf, as a costume for Fox, I think he'd instead opt for a character slot, since Wolf (as well as Daisy, Roy, Dixie, Shadow, etc.) has the potential to be unique.

Like I said, this is just my thought on the matter, though I'm sure that won't stop some from persecuting me.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
The only costumes I see happening right now are Dr. Mario and Female Villager, but I'd like a Mega Man into Proto Man as they have the same animations and sound effects as well as Sonic into Classic Sonic

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
Dear mother of Yggdrasil! I can't believe it! Sakurai finally understands what his fans want from this game (as far as aesthetic go).

If this proves to be true, then SSB4 will have a viable reason to include DLC, aside from stages and hopefully characters, I mean.

My shadow is ready.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Taking a page from Project M would be wise. Well, technically if there are alt costumes, they'd be in already before Project M did them and we just won't know. But essentially the same idea as many have stated.

They have Dry Bowser, Dr. Mario, Mr. L (Although he's more obscure for an ACTUAL smash game), Pajama Toon Link and Ness and so on. It's a nice little bonus, and think if they utilized them as unlockable content for hardcore players it would be a great addition. I remember playing Gears of War Online and just the fancy personalized Lancers and Shotguns people had with cool effects and colors gave everyone a touch of individuality. People who unlock a costume and play online would make a first impression (scare their opponents in the sense that if they have that costume, they must be good) , and also inspire people to get such costumes themselves.

I'd like the most extreme type of Costume to be Daisy. Other than that, if it represents an entirely other character that isn't an alternate form of the original and doesn't extremely change the characters model, it is a good costume. If it is a tribute or simply a shoutout (E.g. Luigi with purple to represent Waluigi) then this is fine too. Here's more of a tangile idea of it;
Ex. 1) Dr. Mario works while Shadow Mario does not, simply because it's Bowser Junior in the main game.
Ex. 2) Foxs with Sunglasses (tribute to his father and Starfox insiders) works while Wolf does not. However, in Brawl, Dark Fox is essentially meant to mimic Wolf, but very slightly.
Ex. 3) Peach with Rosalina clothes works while Rosalina with pasted onto Peaches model does not
Ex. 4) Female Pokemon Trainer works while Female Marth doesn't. (lulz)

Some aren't as easy, such as putting Dark Samus on Samus, or giving Pikachu Raichu colors.

**** I always do this when I should be studying aha
Oops.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
There is a lot of possibilities that can be done with this but I wonder how much work will they put into it. They have to do more than just slap on some new skin and all it good. With the MWFT they would have to have a whole new set of voice scripts for him. Also will they change the change the looks over their attacks (e.g. Dr. Mario throwing pills instead of fireballs). So just keeping that in mind.

Also if you want a good idea of alternate costume ideas check out this game.
Super Mario Crossover 3.0
http://www.explodingrabbit.com/games/super-mario-bros-crossover

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
If I may?
First of all, this is Sakurai, I'm really thinking this is gonna be another Wario thing / Assist trophy.
If it isn't, then I don't see why this whole "only characters who are technically the same person" arguement has any merit. Unless, of course, Male WFT will have the girl's voice. Because I'm sure ninty can make a few new voice clips and character titles for thier own game.
Also, Louie > Olimar please.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Dark Samus, Daisy, Lucina, Shadow Mario, Rosalina and Metal Sonic are completely exclusive and unique characters and they shouldn't ever be alternate costumes! Now I could dig Helmetless Megaman (Dat' Hair), Classic Sonic (It's the same character, just a little younger), Dr. Mario (A texture replacement for the fireballs and that's it), Mr. L (Dat' everything)...even minor changes to the model, like Fire Peach's hair being tied back in a ponytail. Dry Bowser could also be viable, although Meowser has too much extra abilities to just be a character costume.

Reoyoshi8

Smash Apprentice
...heck, Sony's game was able to deliver alt skins as well as color schemes.

^ like these

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I was going to make a list on here but after seeing Rosaline I guess there isn't a point. I was going to Rosaline and Daisy as alt costumes for Peach.

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
I was going to make a list on here but after seeing Rosaline I guess there isn't a point. I was going to Rosaline and Daisy as alt costumes for Peach.
Yeah, I had the same idea for Peach's costumes. Also, in my opinion, this is a clear indicator that a limit on the number of representatives from one franchise is irrelevant. If that's the case, then maybe the character slots for Smash 4 aren't as scarce as I've been thinking?

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
Dr. Luigi as Luigi's alt costume anyone? Mr. L's not bad either, but at least there is one more option, and it looks snazzy if I do say so myself. As a Luigi user, I like both ideas.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I LOVED THOSE MINIGAMES. ESPECIALLY THAT ONE

That smug b*st*rd was so cheeky when he won....

Hoots

Can Be Combative
If it's depressing to not like the idea of Smash characters wearing goony Halloween costumes, then so be it. Alternate costumes should be incredibly warranted (Wario, WFT, etc) and stay within canon.

If it's depressing to not like the idea of Smash characters wearing goony Halloween costumes, then so be it. Alternate costumes should be incredibly warranted (Wario, WFT, etc) and stay within canon.

The only one of those that aren't canon is Big Daddy, and it was requested by the people who made the character. All of the other ones have appeared in their games except Sweet Tooth's, who was a bonus character in StarHawk.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I think Dr. Luigi is a great idea that opens the door to the whole group. You have Dr. Mario, Dr. Luigi, Nurse Peach, and Malpractice Bowser.

Top Bottom