• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternate costume unlocks in Smash 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aba1

Smash Apprentice
These need to be in, although I do agree that they shouldn't change body proportions. Also the Epic Yarn ones wouldn't work with the normal set, it wouldn't even be conceivable. Fierce Deity Link would not work either, the sword is larger and he doesn't have a shield. Some others likely wouldn't work, but I'll stop there.

On the topic of getting costumes who are different characters, it is a really tough call. That is why I generally say that some alternate costumes should alter the characters set slightly, making it a form of customization, which is apparently going to be in the next Smash Bros. via the 3DS version. For example, a Roy skin for Marth would give flames to the attacks and alter the stats slightly. Giving Mario the Doc skin gives him capsules instead of fireballs, plus all of the stat changes. In this way, we could even allow for costumes that change proportions, because that would part of the point, customizing the character to your specifications.

Anyways, I always say this, but Zelda should definitely get the cloak she wears in Twilight Princess as an alternate costume.
This is sorta what I am hoping for I think it would allow a lot to be brought to the table while keeping the character count to a reasonable level which will help balancing.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Seconded. Good god seconded.

I think if they decide on more costumes each costume should still have alternate colors.

And if Toon Link comes back please let this be a costume.

I second. I always felt Toon Link is supposed to be the one from WW, so the Outset clothes make more sense than the ST engineer outfit.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045

All the Mario and DK characters need just one of these! For the love of god please!!!!!!

ItsSilverLPs

Banned via Warnings
I thought of these ones:
-Mario: Dr. Mario
-Peach: Sports games costume
-Link: the clothes that he wear in the beginning of SS
-Toon Link: his blue clothes, that he wears in the beginning of Wind Waker

And, I think that alternate costumes like that should be limited to, like, a different "version" of the character (like Mario and Dr. Mario). I don't think that, for example, Shadow being an alternate costume for Sonic would be good, since they're different characters

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
While I don't want to see full-on model swaps(i.e. Shadow over Sonic), I do think it would be interesting to see charatcers get alternate costumes that have them "cosplay" as other characters. If you want to see examples of what I mean, see some of KOF Mi's costumes or SFxTekken's crossover costumes.

They wouldn't even have to be limited to Nintendo shout-outs; KOF MI has more than a few costumes that are shout-outs to other fighters and even some to NGE.

For instance, Wario could get a Foreman Spike-esque costume, and Saki might get an Isa outfit(or vice-versa).

BTW I'm an SNK fan if anyone who has seen my other posts hasn't guessed yet.

ItsSilverLPs

Banned via Warnings
While I don't want to see full-on model swaps(i.e. Shadow over Sonic), I do think it would be interesting to see charatcers get alternate costumes that have them "cosplay" as other characters. If you want to see examples of what I mean, see some of KOF Mi's costumes or SFxTekken's crossover costumes.
that would be nice, something like Mario's Wario pallete swap in all 3 games, Luigi's Waluigi pallete swap in Brawl...

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
My hope is that some characters like

Pit: Dark Pit
Link: Dark Link
Peach: Daisy
Mario: Dr. Mario

get the full on costume/name/sound treatment. That way, they're not a full on DIFFERENT character spot, with different strengths and abilities, but instead a special alt. costume.

Like, Dark Pit would get a deep voice, Dark Link would be either silent, (or Ocarina 64 voice) and their name gets "Dark" added to it, all with it being narrated if they win the match.

In the case with Daisy, it could say "Daisy" when the Daisy costume is selected, and she'd be complete with "Daisy voice acting"!
"Suh-weet" could be replace with "HI I'M DAISY!" :smirk:

Dr. Mario could have his fireballs replaced with Pills, but no change in damage is made. But once again, complete with the name change at the start of the match, with it being "announced" if said Dr. Mario wins.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
I would kill for a "Ms. Game-and-Watch" alternate costume, with a little bow and a dress.

Considering Namco's involvement, it's not all that unlikely. :awesome:

Clownbot

Smash Lord
If Mega Man gets in, he obviously has a truckload of inspiration to draw from but to make it more of a true alt I think it'd be cool to see them change the appearance of his blaster shots. For example, make his green costume's blast resemble Search Snake. Or a gray alt with bubble blasts. Or - whatever color costume Magnet Man's power gives you - shooting... well, magnets.

Frankly, I never really liked seeing Peach with her belly exposed.
You might just be alone in that. :troll:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Some ideas I had for costumes:

Ridley as Meta Ridley or Omega Ridley
Olimar as The President
Wario as Foreman Spike
Megaman as Protoman or Megaman X/EXE/any other incarnation.
Saki as Isa
Takamaru as Mitsurugi(Soul Caliber)/Haohmaru(Samurai Shodown)/Kaede(The Last Blade)
Little Mac as the SPO boxer/Ippo Makunouchi from Hajime no Ippo

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
But... that's the reason I bought that game!

---

I think that actual alternate costumes for the characters instead of color swaps would be great. Color swaps should stay (even if just so I can still humiliate people with pink Captain Falcon), but costumes are an awesome idea. Hell, a Dr. Mario is feasible! :awesome:

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
I'd really love alternate costumes, like Doc over Mario and Galacta Knight over Meta Knight. I wouldn't mind having to unlock them, either. I love unlocking things.

I (and I'm guessing almost everybody else) have to disagree.

:phone:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I like the "dress characters as other characters" alternate outfit idea (ie: Marth wearing "the Masked Marth's" clothes).

I would personally love to see Mega Man wearing Mega Man X's armor. That would be so freaking cool!!!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Here are some images of the alternate outfit inputs that I've previously mentioned...

Dr. Mario

James McCloud

Mr. L

Blood Falcon

Sunshine Peach

Kaptain K. Rool

Meta Ridley

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
[collapse=Alt costume for Rosalina]
[/collapse]
Rosalina at her Strongest.

Anyways, in regards to the topic, I'd love alternate costumes if they are just the same character in a different suit. For example, Fusion Suit Samus and maybe Dr. Mario would work fine (the only problem I see with the Doc is the need for additional clothing physics for his doctor's garb).

I don't like featuring separate characters like Daisy and James McCloud as alts, though. It's disrespectful to the original character to treat them as a costume you slap on another character when they are their own full-fledged, separate characters in their own games with their own abilities and personalities.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
People care about James McCloud and Daisy=??? :embarrass:

[COLLAPSE="Also, this needs to be an alternate outfit in Smash Bros."]
[/COLLAPSE]@ S&M Guy (OOOHHHHH!!!) :awesome:
Captain Falcon already has a Blood Falcon outfit in Smash. :bee: Sunshine Peach and Mr. L would be pretty boss, though.

Also, Fox, Falco, and Wolf should get outfits from a few of their different Star Fox appearances (although their Star Fox 64 appearance should be the default).

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
Should all characters get alt. costumes? Some characters like Ganondorf don't really have any. Would anyone mind if such characters alt. costumes are made just for the game?

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I would kill for a "Ms. Game-and-Watch" alternate costume, with a little bow and a dress.

Considering Namco's involvement, it's not all that unlikely. :awesome:
I love this idea! I wasnt sure how they'd come up with an alt for Game & Watch but you just found the solution!

I like the "dress characters as other characters" alternate outfit idea (ie: Marth wearing "the Masked Marth's" clothes).

I would personally love to see Mega Man wearing Mega Man X's armor. That would be so freaking cool!!!
The Mega Man X look is the only look ive never seen in a fighting game. Weve seen his regular look, Mega Man Legends design and even that awful box art one! The X armor is long over due!

Should all characters get alt. costumes? Some characters like Ganondorf don't really have any. Would anyone mind if such characters alt. costumes are made just for the game?

Hmmm now I havnt played much of the newer Zelda games but are you tellin me Gannondorf kept the same appearence and design every single game? But if they did have to make up an alternate costume just for this game then I'd be ok with it....

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm now I havnt played much of the newer Zelda games but are you tellin me Gannondorf kept the same appearence and design every single game? But if they did have to make up an alternate costume just for this game then I'd be ok with it....
Yes, Ganondorf has only had 3 human appearances. WindWaker Ganondorf can't be an alt. due to different proportions. Either OoT & Twilight Ganondorf could be alts. but there designs are similar & aren't really costume changes at all. There is the Phantom Ganon boss, but that's just OoT Ganondorf with a skull helmet.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Yes, Ganondorf has only had 3 human appearances. WindWaker Ganondorf can't be an alt. due to different proportions. Either OoT & Twilight Ganondorf could be alts. but there designs are similar & aren't really costume changes at all. There is the Phantom Ganon boss, but that's just OoT Ganondorf with a skull helmet.

A WW Ganondorf-esque outfit(i.e. wearing a robe rather than what he wears now) could work, imo. The proportions would have to be different, but still, it could work.
He could also have a Demise alt if people aren't squeamish about spoilers.

And who says we only have to use Nintendo characters for alts? Since Namco(and possibly Capcom, Sega, and Konami) will be working with Nintendo, I don't see why some Nintendo characters couldn't get alts based on characters from those companies. For instance, I could see Ganondorf getting an Akuma or Bison alt.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@ S&M Guy (OOOHHHHH!!!) :awesome:
Captain Falcon already has a Blood Falcon outfit in Smash. :bee: Sunshine Peach and Mr. L would be pretty boss, though.
The Blood Falcon that we have right now is only a palette swap though. What I'm requesting is a Blood Falcon alternate outfit, which would make Captain Falcon completely resemble his clone (just like what the Blood Falcon image shows).

When you think it over, in Kirby's Return to Dream Land, some of the EX mid-bosses (Water Galboros) and EX bosses (Mr. Dooter) are given different appearances from their normal counterparts, and yet they maintain the same kind of attacks (with some new additions).

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
A WW Ganondorf-esque outfit(i.e. wearing a robe rather than what he wears now) could work, imo. The proportions would have to be different, but still, it could work.
He could also have a Demise alt if people aren't squeamish about spoilers.

And who says we only have to use Nintendo characters for alts? Since Namco(and possibly Capcom, Sega, and Konami) will be working with Nintendo, I don't see why some Nintendo characters couldn't get alts based on characters from those companies. For instance, I could see Ganondorf getting an Akuma or Bison alt.
Yeah, I pictured Akuma being a possible Ganondorf alt.
I also agree with the Demise thing somewhat. But the whole flaming hair thing could be a problem. They are kinda shaped differently. Just a bit. Even though Demise is Ganondorf... in a sense.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Yeah, I pictured Akuma being a possible Ganondorf alt.
I also agree with the Demise thing somewhat. But the whole flaming hair thing could be a problem. They are kinda shaped differently. Just a bit. Even though Demise is Ganondorf... in a sense.
Yeah, Ganondorf as Akuma would be cool.
And I'm sure the Demise hair thing could be worked around - maybe just give him Demise's clothes?
Some other ideas for alts I had were Takamaru as Mitsurugi(bit of a stretch, I know) or his Cap. Rainbow appearance, and Black Shadow as M. Bison(they do share a voice actor...or at least they used to).

Also, SSB4 should implement a color/costume edit mode.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

My hope is that some characters like

Pit: Dark Pit
Link: Dark Link
Peach: Daisy
Mario: Dr. Mario

get the full on costume/name/sound treatment. That way, they're not a full on DIFFERENT character spot, with different strengths and abilities, but instead a special alt. costume.

Like, Dark Pit would get a deep voice, Dark Link would be either silent, (or Ocarina 64 voice) and their name gets "Dark" added to it, all with it being narrated if they win the match.

In the case with Daisy, it could say "Daisy" when the Daisy costume is selected, and she'd be complete with "Daisy voice acting"!
"Suh-weet" could be replace with "HI I'M DAISY!" :smirk:

Dr. Mario could have his fireballs replaced with Pills, but no change in damage is made. But once again, complete with the name change at the start of the match, with it being "announced" if said Dr. Mario wins.
these two posts make up my view as well. characters like Dark Link, Dark Pit, Daisy, Dr. Mario and Masked Marth could perfectly be alternate costumes (complete with name, voice swapping and effect swapping) instead of clone characters using up a spot on the roster (unless of course, they made different movesets for them).

I could see a Dr. Mario costume replacing the Fireballs with pills for aesthetical purposes, same goes for the voices of Daisy, Dark Link, Dark Pit and Masked Marth. that way it would feel that you were truly playing as a different character.

Maybe the Dark Link costume would replace the Triforce in the Final Smash with some kind of dark aura or something? Or having the pink heart effects of Peach being replaced by flowers when using the Daisy costume? These would be nice touches as well. of course, seeing Dark Pit summoning centurions would be weird... but
considering Uprising's ending, it wouldn't be too farfetched.
Perhaps making Pichu an alt. costume of Pikachu would be a stretch...

Other plausible character swaps via costumes would be:

Marth -> Sigurd, Celice or Leaf (Marth already has a white costume resembling Leaf)
Luigi -> Mr. L (this could be just a normal color swap, with no added changes)
C. Falcon -> Blood Falcon (maybe using a different voice, sounding more agressive or deeper like Dark Link/Dark Pit)
Ganondorf -> Demise (could be edited or something, because of the flame hair)
Pokémon Trainer -> Female Trainer (like Red -> Leaf, his female counterpart, who could share the same animations and have a different voice, obviously)
Bowser -> Dry Bowser (because playing as a skeletal Bowser is just badass)
For Pikachu and Jigglypuff they could add more headwear, with those of the same color selectable in Team Battles, like you can do with Wario in Brawl, because after all, this whole idea of this topic would be discussing ways of expanding what was done with Wario in Brawl.

Like some posts here, a Mrs. Game & Watch costume would be great.

Didn't expect such a long post... I sure have lots of ideas...

bombers14

Smash Apprentice
They really should have to be unlocked though so you don't start off with them. the more unlocks, the longer the play time and you should have to do certain things like target smash to unlock characters

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If Square Enix decides to join in the development, maybe the company should make DLC outfits for certain characters so that they resemble some of the commonly used Final Fantasy jobs.

For one example, Rosalina could have a White Mage styled outfit...

[collapse=Image]
[/collapse]

EmeraldPhaze

Smash Cadet
I think it would be much better if we just started off with all of the characters and had to unlock their alt costumes. It's not fun when you have all the characters unlocked yourself, then suddenly you play on a friend's system and they have like, no characters unlocked. It just seems like a chore to have to unlock playable characters, where as unlocking different skins would be a fun goal to work towards.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I think it would be much better if we just started off with all of the characters and had to unlock their alt costumes. It's not fun when you have all the characters unlocked yourself, then suddenly you play on a friend's system and they have like, no characters unlocked. It just seems like a chore to have to unlock playable characters, where as unlocking different skins would be a fun goal to work towards.
I'd rather unlock the characters by doing numerous challenges and then beat arcade atleast on normal difficulty to unlock their alternates. How I see it is the more unlockables in Smash 4 the better the game will be. I hate fighting games that dont let you unlock things for yourself...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd rather unlock the characters by doing numerous challenges and then beat arcade atleast on normal difficulty to unlock their alternates. How I see it is the more unlockables in Smash 4 the better the game will be. I hate fighting games that dont let you unlock things for yourself...
Agreed. Unlocking characters adds to fun, so it would be quite dull if everyone is available right from the start.

bombers14

Smash Apprentice
Ya unlocking characters is great and to unlock alt costumes would be great to. What about certain colors though like red, black, green and so on do you guys think that should be unlockable or just get them with the character. If so something simple like beat classic mode on normal or easy to unlock the skins. But alt costumes should be harder and if dr mario is an alt costume he should have his same abilities like in melee so it feels like a different character even though it's on the same slot.

EmeraldPhaze

Smash Cadet
I don't mind unlockables, I just think that some things don't need to be locked. But everyone has a different way of thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom