• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternate costume unlocks in Smash 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Take Dr. Mario for example; you would need an additional 4 costume changes for Dr. Mario within Mario's costumes because what if four people want to play as the Dr. Mario costume at once? Things would get too confusing.

Changing all the move sets, the announcer/crowd would be calling him Dr. Mario, different final smash and trophies (if they remain) would be pretty ridiculous. It's a whole new character so why not just give them a whole new god damn slot instead of making them mixed in with costumes?
This thing was done for Wario in Brawl; he had 6 color swaps for his classic and warioware outfit.

Changing all movesets, etc makes him a different character. He's not a pallette swap anymore.

They'd never make a new character hidden as a pallette swap.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Great idea for some, but I think many are getting INSANELY, RIDICULOUSLY, STUPIDLY carried away with new costumes as being new characters.

Take Dr. Mario for example; you would need an additional 4 costume changes for Dr. Mario within Mario's costumes because what if four people want to play as the Dr. Mario costume at once? Things would get too confusing.

Changing all the move sets, the announcer/crowd would be calling him Dr. Mario, different final smash and trophies (if they remain) would be pretty ridiculous. It's a whole new character so why not just give them a whole new god damn slot instead of making them mixed in with costumes?

You would win as Dr. Mario, get kills as Dr. Mario, complete solo mode as Dr. Mario but everything would be done under Mario's name.

Unlockable costume changes = great idea
Those costume changes as completely new characters = stupid idea
well making additional pallet swaps isnt that difficult. They did it for Wario already. they're movesets wouldn't change. if they did they would be completely new character and they should take a character slot as opposed to being attached to a character. and why would they need a new announcer and crowd chant? it would be a nice touch but its not necessary. i feel like ur just being nitpicky

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
I'm not too keen on costumes turning characters into vastly different characters (Sheik into Impa or vice versa, for example), but stuff like Dr. Mario and Galacta Knight would be okay with me.

Cool Daddy Booty Funk

Smash Cadet
Great idea for some, but I think many are getting INSANELY, RIDICULOUSLY, STUPIDLY carried away with new costumes as being new characters.

You would win as Dr. Mario, get kills as Dr. Mario, complete solo mode as Dr. Mario but everything would be done under Mario's name.

Unlockable costume changes = great idea
Those costume changes as completely new characters = stupid idea
Wait about Daisy (Peach) and Blood Falcon (Captain Falcon)? Those are two characters that have been in since melee as just alternate costumes with nothing different about them. Peach doesn't have a set of 4 different colors with Daisy's hair.
If anything Dr. Mario is exactly like Mario, except with a doctorate. So he actually makes sense as an alternate costume, more so than Daisy and B. Falcon who are different characters.

Plus if you do make the character slot, then people just p-oed for cloning.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Everyone's getting pissed at my Dr. Mario comment for an alternative Mario costume but I'm just going off what some comments have said.

I mean someone seriously suggested Funky Kong for an alternative DK costume... and then they talked about altering the movesets by selecting each colour.

The battle was if Dr. Mario was an alternative colour choice for Mario, some wanted it to change his gameplay like pills instead of fire balls.

I was just pointing out how stupid it would be to have a completely new character within the character colour selection.

If you want Dr. Mario as an alternative costume for Mario than thats fine, I have no problem with that. But if you then want Dr. Mario's powers to transfer over then there's a problem.

I understand that Daisy and Blood Falcon are alternative colour choices but it doesn't change Peach or Falcon's gameplay.
I read comments saying the Daisy colour change for Peach would have more flower related attacks.
They are simply just getting carried away and i'm calling them out on it.

Everyone is attacking me like I have some Dr. Mario prejudice... I'm all for him being a costume for Mario, but if we're talking about that colour coming with a new moveset then absolutely not. Just have a slot for Dr. Mario

Cool Daddy Booty Funk

Smash Cadet
Everyone's getting pissed at my Dr. Mario comment for an alternative Mario costume but I'm just going off what some comments have said.

I mean someone seriously suggested Funky Kong for an alternative DK costume... and then they talked about altering the movesets by selecting each colour.

The battle was if Dr. Mario was an alternative colour choice for Mario, some wanted it to change his gameplay like pills instead of fire balls.

I was just pointing out how stupid it would be to have a completely new character within the character colour selection.

If you want Dr. Mario as an alternative costume for Mario than thats fine, I have no problem with that. But if you then want Dr. Mario's powers to transfer over then there's a problem.

I understand that Daisy and Blood Falcon are alternative colour choices but it doesn't change Peach or Falcon's gameplay.
I read comments saying the Daisy colour change for Peach would have more flower related attacks.
They are simply just getting carried away and i'm calling them out on it.

Everyone is attacking me like I have some Dr. Mario prejudice... I'm all for him being a costume for Mario, but if we're talking about that colour coming with a new moveset then absolutely not. Just have a slot for Dr. Mario
Alternative costume for pikachu should be pikajew. Lol

No, I see what you are saying though. Personally I would be content if Dr. Mario returned and still shot fireballs instead of pills. At the same time something aesthetic such as pills in plays of fire balls wouldn't change the gameplay at all so I wouldn't care about that either.

But yeah, as far as suggestions go that become completely different characters (Funky Kong vs. Donkey Kong) I'm not really for, especially since that would be more than just a color change (like Daisy and B. Falcon).

On the other hand, someone like Pichu could be in for Pikachu and as long as he plays exactly like Pikachu (and not Melee Pichu), I don't see what the big deal is. I don't know I'm really on the fence about that whole thing.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
well in some instances, a character being a simple alternate costume to another character is not a bad idea. something like Funky for DK would be dumb though for multiple reasons. but if its something like let's say Boshi as an alternate for Yoshi or Ninten as an alternate for Ness that's not a big deal to me. even something like a Mach Rider costume on Captain Falcon makes sense to me if we can't get Mach Rider as a character.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
It would be nice if each character gets at least one alt costume. The costume could relate to the character, or maybe be loosely based off of another, but nothing too much of a stretch. Unlocks, I'm not too sure, but I don't mind the idea.

I quickly made some alt costumes for some characters. Some of these aren't meant to be taken literally, more like being loosely based on another character. Take Muddy Mole for example. If he gets in, it would be cool if he gets an alt similar to the Monty Mole classic design; change the fur colour, add a white belly, add the triangle shaped shades similar to Monty Moles etc. Some I think could make for a cool palette swap, but some of these are meant to be jokes, so don't take em seriously. :p

[collapse=pics]
[/collapse]

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
It would be nice if each character gets at least one alt costume. The costume could relate to the character, or maybe be loosely based off of another, but nothing too much of a stretch. Unlocks, I'm not too sure, but I don't mind the idea.

I quickly made some alt costumes for some characters. Some of these aren't meant to be taken literally, more like being loosely based on another character. Take Muddy Mole for example. If he gets in, it would be cool if he gets an alt similar to the Monty Mole classic design; change the fur colour, add a white belly, add the triangle shaped shades similar to Monty Moles etc. Some I think could make for a cool palette swap, but some of these are meant to be jokes, so don't take em seriously. :p

[collapse=pics]
[/collapse]
I would pay infinite money to have a Demoknight skin for Takamaru. It makes zero sense, but I would thoroughly enjoy it.

I'm also impressed that you can manage to log in with such a complicated username.

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
Certain costumes should be unlockables and they should be hard to earn. Godly alts that are better in almsot every way.

like Mr. L and James McCloud

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Anyone remember how Samus was at the end of the original Metroid?

That can be an alternate costume. Obviously Nintendo would make it less bikini like. Maybe a tight sleeveless belly shirt with matching booty shorts :awesome:

:phone:

Not so obviously IMHO. Nintendo has changed a lot in time and became more open minded.
Said that, if Samus in bikini is in the game it will be reward that requires a hard task, much probably.

Wondra

Smash Cadet
I fully support this idea.

BUT, I'd hope each costume would come with it's own animations / stats / physics, relative to the version of the character that's being played (which is a lot of work, yes, but imo would be Entirely worth it).

This would also be a great way to include playable characters that don't necessarily Need a separate character slot, but that still deserve to be playable / help represent a series more intimately, i.e. ~ Young Link, Pichu, DK Jr, Matthew, Dr. Mario, Blood Falcon, etc.

This idea would MASSIVELY expand the roster aesthetically. Just imagine the pure nostalgia that could come of this! Imagine ~

*Fox - Command Costume (Cel-Shaded) vs
*Samus - Phazon Suit Costume vs
*Mario - Raccoon Costume (not Tanooki) vs
*PKMN Trainer - Blaziken / Bayleef / Piplup Costume

*fangasms*

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
yeah thats not gonna happen. costumes should just be for aesthetics. anymore and u may as well be asking for another character all together.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I had this idea myself one time. Unlocking alternate skins. It's a really cool idea, rather than just changing colors. I'd rather like something different than just color changes. I want their appearance to look completely different. It would be cool, but I doubt Sakurai will.

Considering that there'll be even more characters than brawl.
Not true. Sakurai said that he is focusing on the balance of characters and gameplay rather than adding new characters to the roster.

Certain costumes should be unlockables and they should be hard to earn. Godly alts that are better in almsot every way.

like Mr. L and James McCloud
I'd totally like some challenge to unlocking certain skins. That would basically force me to want them so badly and finish that "hard" challenge. Like, beating Boss Battles on intense. I worked hard to beat that (knowing there was no reward except for the honor of beating it). Imagine if we got a really cool skin from that.\

Maybe it could also be as DLC.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Not true. Sakurai said that he is focusing on the balance of characters and gameplay rather than adding new characters to the roster.
He said even that the game will have about fifty characters because it just can't have less, due to being it a standard for modern fighting games.
Anyway, I think the difficulty to earn an extra skin should be proportional to how different it is from the main clothes, with the hardest ones including not only extra texatures but even extra poligons, and beyond!
Dr. Mario's skin would be one of the top hardest ones, since it does include even replacing fire balls with health pills, like in SSB Melee.

Random question: What would your reaction if you find that one of the extra alt skins for Zero Suit Samus... is Ivy's suit?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
He said even that the game will have about fifty characters because it just can't have less, due to being it a standard for modern fighting games.
No he didn't.

“It isn’t a matter of ‘if the next game has 50 characters, that’ll be enough.’ There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive…. In terms of quantity, we’ve probably already reached the limit of what’s feasible. I think a change of direction may be what’s needed.”
Source

volbound1700

Smash Master
Because Kirby as Epic Yarn is an entirely different moveset than regular Kirby, I would prefer not having a costume unless it is Prince Fluff/Epic Yarn Kirby with that unique moveset.

Sonic Alt Costume Ideas - I hate to do this because these characters should have unique movesets but Knuckles, Tails, and maybe Shadow could all be alt costumes. Tails and Knuckles per there abilities in Sonic 2 and to some degree Sonic 3 (obviously Tails wouldn't fly and Knuckles couldn't climb walls or glide). Shadow is a little more complicated because I don't think he uses spin dash.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Potential costumes for Snake:

[collapse="Naked Snake"]
[/collapse]
[collapse="Pliskin"]
[/collapse]

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
Namco is known for using alot of alt costumes in their games.
Hopefully thats something that will be in smash 4.

I'm not too sure how Namco's in depth customizations would work in a samsh bros game though.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Customization is overrated, imo. Original costumes >> custom made costumes.

IAm2Sarcastic4U

Smash Journeyman
Customization is overrated, imo. Original costumes >> custom made costumes.
Agreed!

Also by alternate costumes, I hope you guys mean, Mario = Doctor Mario Suit NOT Pikachu = Raichu color skin. That would be a mess imo and costumes should not affect a characters stats in anyway. Just their appearence.

Now some ideas for alternate costumes would be like Mario in his Doctor Mario outfit or his Strickers uniform. Peach in her Sunshine dress. :awesome:

Alternate costumes should only be given to a character if he/she/it has been seen with one in their respective game series.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
My Miku-Xiaoyu and Tinkerbell-Jaycee would like a word with you.
And I have made a Captain Falcon in SCIV, but that doesn't make it near good as Falcon by no means.

Customization can never reach the potential of original characters. That's just my opinion. To me, customization takes away the charm with the character's design. I want the characters to be just as the developer intended them to be.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I can understand some people saying that customization is overrated, but if done right, it could be a cool feature and perhaps even funny, by giving silly costumes to characters.

Could you imagine Mario in a suit with a top hat?
Or perhaps give Link a jester's outfit?
Or maybe giving bat wings to Pit?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Reading Frostwraith's post, it suddenly came to my mind.

What if we can recolor the characters' costumes using the Wii U tablet? :awesome:

grizby2

Smash Lord
im all for being able to recolor characters. that was one of my favorite features in SCV.
and adding things such as helmets or whatever is fine as long as its just cosmetic.

i always wanted to give captain falcon a cape~

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
I like the idea of alternate costumes but they should be costumes that the character has really used, like Mario-Dr. Mario, Ness-Ness in Pajamas, or Link-Fierce Deity Link

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
After all, we should note that most alt. colors in the Smash series were not taken from any game and were just made for SSB. Why not expand that idea a little further, while throwing homages to past Nintendo games?

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Did someone say hats?

[collapse=Super Hat Bros. 4]
[/collapse]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom