• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alright guys, we've got **** to do

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
Hey, do you guys ever do a Usmash OoS when shield dropping grenades?

One thing I like to do is when I'm trying to edge guard people, especially if they get high up and away from the stage, is to fully charge one Usmash, then pull a grenade, shield drop it while doing a Usmash OoS and maybe charge the Usmash a little depending on where the opponent is/how cooked the grenade is.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I used to do that a lot when I used standard controls, it's kind of a pain with tap jump off so I don't do it anymore but it is pretty useful

ErikG

Smash Ace
I used to do that a lot when I used standard controls, it's kind of a pain with tap jump off so I don't do it anymore but it is pretty useful
I switched my R button to jump so I can keep my OoS stuff and for my secondaries.

edit: I use L for the shield. I recommend people try out tap off with L or R set to jump.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
One interesting thing i saw is that the proxy mine doesn't activate for a while after snake puts it down, which means a hitbox/hurtbox wont activate it. so one thing you can do is put down a mine where the C4 is, then blow up the C4, it would not blow up the mine but if your opponent doesnt know that he could run into the mine.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
You all should start to pressure offstage opponents a lot more. Snake has some really good tools on- and offstage against some characters:

Fsmash - very good against big or slow targets. The hitbox goes below the stage and easily outranges many character's sweet spot. I found it very effective against D3, DK, Bowser and sometimes Kirby. It also flat-out beats 3 out of MK's 4 recovery options [or at least trades with Shuttle Loop] - only DC remains unaffected but a hit is pretty much a guaranteed KO. You can also perform fsmash while holding a grenade just to have an ace left in case the opponent manages to avoid the fsmash and you're open.

Nikita - Using it against Ike offstage is the most hilarious thing ever. It interrupts Quick Draw to make him fall into death instantly. If you see that he's going low for the Aether you can just drop it right above him for another instant KO. I don't think Ike has a way around it if you time it well. I think it's useful against many other characters though - especially those that have to go to the ledge [all tethers, Marth, most Low tiers].

Bair - easily beats most aerials in the game in is relatively safe if the opponent is not on the ground. Can beats Tornado and Drill Rush and trades with aerial Shuttle Loop. Decent surprise mix-up, especially if you have a grenade or mine close to the ledge.

:059:

Sym

Smash Rookie
fair is actually snake's best attack and is massively underutilized
wat?

It's alright for an occasional unexpected spike attempt but going over the edge like that is really dangerous. The landing lag is atrocious too so if you miss with it against a grounded opponent you're going to pay.

(did I just get trolled?)

etecoon

Smash Hero
the spike is an instant death attack, the risk:reward is massively skewed in snake's favor

rising full hop fair is also a safe approach!

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
I've landed some glorious fair spikes in my days.

Like the fair spike that won me $150

fair spike is awesome. but shouldn't be used too much. I use it in RISK IT ALL situations.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
lol Fair spikes make some nasty gimmicks when used right. <3 It's also very useful in the Snake ditto. Especially off stage lol

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
fair has it's uses.

its only 23 frames, so its not THAT bad, and has big range and priority. can be baited out of an airdodge and covered with nades. i find its useful against edgeguarding mks; start the move up while transitioning from the bubble to being visible on screen, and if you're on the right angle, there's a good chance we won't be able to react and get spiked. situational though.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Holy cow, I just watched japanese Snakes and THEY ARE SO MUCH BETTER THAN US I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. The way they use grenades and aerials is so much superior - no wonder they have so many Snakes.

There's a really sexy gimmick I saw of a Snake named Ganbara Nai: Pick up a grenade, walk up to the opponent and stick a C4 on him. He does this against 9B's ICs to win the set and it's just ridiculous because as soon as the C4 is on them he can seperate them at any time. It can also randomly break him out of their infinite and is basically a ticking bomb because Nana dies to it at like 85-90%.

Sym

Smash Rookie
Holy cow, I just watched japanese Snakes and THEY ARE SO MUCH BETTER THAN US I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. The way they use grenades and aerials is so much superior - no wonder they have so many Snakes.

There's a really sexy gimmick I saw of a Snake named Ganbara Nai: Pick up a grenade, walk up to the opponent and stick a C4 on him. He does this against 9B's ICs to win the set and it's just ridiculous because as soon as the C4 is on them he can seperate them at any time. It can also randomly break him out of their infinite and is basically a ticking bomb because Nana dies to it at like 85-90%.

Can you stick C4 through a shield?

Sym

Smash Rookie
This is going to be fun.

Ground sticky is 11 frames in, for those who haven't looked it up.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru

Yes I saw their vids too, I've being trying to implement that into my game too, its so much fun lol.

Also, do you know that if you kill popo, and then sticky nana before she disappears, she respawn with the c4 still on her, raaaaapppppeeee.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Too lazy. Go to Brawl Videos -> General Videos -> Japanese Video Archive -> Snake -> Ganbara Nai vs 9B

Reyney

Smash Apprentice
lool thx for the tip gheb x)
i just tried that c4 stickie mindgame and it worked fine.
people are almost always shielding and waiting for the nade to explode when u run towards them with one in ur hand.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Sadly against smart ppl it works like the 1st time after that they grab you and throw you up then nade explodes and you die. =/

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Like you know how it'll be on someone then it'll randomly "slough" off? That's what I mean by "destick".

and yes, you can downB on a shielded person, otherwise there'd be no point in trying to stick c4 while holding a grenade if all they have to do to avoid both is shield.

Sym

Smash Rookie
I don't know when it falls off but I think they can put it back on you if they melee you.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
lol I kept throwing people off with RARed Fairs today. I would do it by the ledge so that I couldn't get punished and I would fall back to the ledge after I pulled it out. I think people are horribly afraid of this move and it should be used a little more.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
whenever i fair spikes, i follow them to make sure theyre dead, if not I fair spike them again, ill prob die from it but its well worth it.

can you stick people hiding in shields?

:009:
I have actually wanted to try that. Instead of running past someone's shield into a pivot grab, you run past the sheild into a pivot sticky, then proceed to Utilt -> detonate. Obviously, once they see the sticky, they will drop shield.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
That sounds way to situational and ineffective tbh. If you already get the chance to run behind the opponent then going for the dthrow chase with a pivot grab is clearly the better idea. Not to mention that it's not even a good or reliable set-up for the C4. Seriously, walking up to the opponent with a grenade in your hand is possibly the best way to bait a shield in the entire game and that's all it takes to do it. Before you think of any mixup options [especially unreliable ones] it's better to get comfortable doing it the simple way until the opponent can finally handle it.

Top Bottom