• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alola's Arboreal Archer - The Decidueye for Smash Thread (RIP the dream)

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
But Link, Toon Link, and Zelda, each with a single move that uses a bow and arrow, one of which is locked behind an item, already totally fill the archer niche :troll:
And Pit and Dark Pit, bro! What do we need another archer for?? :4duckhunt:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
But Link, Toon Link, and Zelda, each with a single move that uses a bow and arrow, one of which is locked behind an item, already totally fill the archer niche :troll:
And Pit and Dark Pit, bro! What do we need another archer for?? :4duckhunt:
Decidueye fans see and like the appeal of a more dedicated archer with a plant theme in which they'd like to see in Smash. There's really no dedicated archer on the roster, which some folks like to see that certain niche filled.

D

Deleted member

Our support for the owl archer continues no matter what we stay the course till he comes to smash.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Decidueye fans see and like the appeal of a more dedicated archer with a plant theme in which they'd like to see in Smash. There's really no dedicated archer on the roster, which some folks like to see that certain niche filled.
I know, we're joking.

D

Deleted member

So there's this Smash Switch voting bracket thing going on and Decidueye is up against Chib-Robo. We should rally to our undead warrior of the sky.
Also I'm gonna add the new supporters in just a bit

D

Deleted member

Good to have more support, Our devotion and support for Decidueye grows and it's chances increase.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Just gonna say rally yall for Decidueye in the runner up bracket.

D

Deleted member

Thanks, man we all support the owl archer wether he gets, in or not we got it’s back.

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
Well, since Gen 8 doesn't seem to be coming until next year, I'd say Decidueye's chances are looking pretty good.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Well, since Gen 8 doesn't seem to be coming until next year, I'd say Decidueye's chances are looking pretty good.
Yup, I'd say an Alolan pokemon is practically guaranteed at this point, it's just a matter of who Sakurai saw potential in at this point and I could definitely see him going with Decidueye

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Yup, I'd say an Alolan pokemon is practically guaranteed at this point, it's just a matter of who Sakurai saw potential in at this point and I could definitely see him going with Decidueye
Pretty much. The only reason I can see Sakurai going with anyone but Decidueye at this point is if he for some reason chooses one of the other Alolan starters or decides to take a leap of faith with either of Lycanroc or Mimikyu for no reason other than "m-m-muh promotion."
So yeah, I'm willing to call Decidueye about as close to a lock as we can get bar a select few standout candidates.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Pretty much. The only reason I can see Sakurai going with anyone but Decidueye at this point is if he for some reason chooses one of the other Alolan starters or decides to take a leap of faith with either of Lycanroc or Mimikyu for no reason other than "m-m-muh promotion."
So yeah, I'm willing to call Decidueye about as close to a lock as we can get bar a select few standout candidates.
Yeah at this point it's between Decidueye and Mimikyu imo. Lycanroc being quadruped really hurts it imo and the other starters types are already represented. Either could work but Decidueye certainly stands out more visually and makes more sense as a fighter. The only other potential candidate is Zeraora but that'd be another electric type.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
Yeah, no doubts about it.
With Gen 8 coming out in 2019, the new Pokemon absolutely HAS to be a Gen 7 rep.

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
Yeah at this point it's between Decidueye and Mimikyu imo. Lycanroc being quadruped really hurts it imo and the other starters types are already represented. Either could work but Decidueye certainly stands out more visually and makes more sense as a fighter. The only other potential candidate is Zeraora but that'd be another electric type.
I can see Mimikyu being in the game, but as a Poke Ball Pokemon. Decidueye to me has a little more potential as a playable fighter.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I can see Mimikyu being in the game, but as a Poke Ball Pokemon. Decidueye to me has a little more potential as a playable fighter.
This. Mimikyu would be literally perfect as a Poke Ball summon given its downright puny stature and general build, so I really don't understand why so many people seem to think he's the one who's going to be playable rather than Decidueye...?

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
This. Mimikyu would be literally perfect as a Poke Ball summon given its downright puny stature and general build, so I really don't understand why so many people seem to think he's the one who's going to be playable rather than Decidueye...?
It likely has to do with the Imgur/"Heroes and Villains" leak that surfaced recently. The one that listed

Ice Climbers
Mimikyu
Elma
Chorus Kids
Takamaru
Dixie Kong
Wolf
Ridley
K. Rool
Medusa
Porky Minch (in spider mech)
Samurai Goroh
Simon Belmont
Sora
Geno & Mallow (as a team)
Snake

and that "Heroes vs Villains" is the theme of the game and will make more sense at E3.

Obviously, nothing's been confirmed or denied yet, so we'll have to see if this matches up with what gets shown off at E3.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
If Decidueye joins the Smash, I hope it keeps its voice from Pokken Tournament instead of getting a dub voice like I believe it would for the anime.

Ilikedarkpit

Smash Rookie
I imagine Decidueye as a highly mobile character that would have some good offstage potential and function pretty bad on the ground. ok here we go

NSPEC: Spirit Shackle. Launch an arrow with medium speed that deals 8% and causes enemies to be rooted (no jumping, no movement at all) for half a second. If used in the air, it will fire diagonally down and propel you slightly backwards.

FSPEC: Shadow Sneak: Rush forward a short distance and strike up out of the shadow. Deals little damage but can be used to start combos.

DSPEC: Foresight: A counter, but in front of you? If the enemy moves into the spot then you rush forward and deal damage.

USPEC: Brave Bird: Dip backwards and then rush upwards pretty fast. Goes pretty far.

Jab: Peck: A simple 2 hit feet-to-head combo.

FTILT: Just an upwards wing swipe thats it lol. It's like marth's ftilt without the sweetspot.

DTILT: An outwards claw kick. simple again

UTILT: Throw a single feather upwards. Might be fun to bodyblock annoying dairs.

FSMASH: A powerful arrow that can be changed directionally. It does not have an much range as nspec though.

DSMASH: Jump upward into the air and fire directly below you three times. The last shot spikes.

USMASH: Fire three shots above you in succession. The direction can be changed a bit.

NAIR: Basic downwards kick.

FAIR: Multihitting slash attack

BAIR: Throw a feather backwards which will float slowly down and spike.

UAIR: String an enemy in your bow and shoot them upwards.

DAIR: Shoot a weak arrow downwards instantly

Dash Attack: Flip forward and kick.

Grabs and throws

Backthrow: String an enemy and shoot them backwards.

Forwardthrow: Tackle into the ground

Upthrow: Fling them upwards.

Downthrow: Pin them to the ground with an arrow.

JUDGE ME! I WILL NEVER BE BACK HERE AGAIN

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Ivysaur and Duck Hunt would like to have a word with you.

...I don't think Lycanroc has a chance, but being quadruped has no bearing on his chances.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Ivysaur and Duck Hunt would like to have a word with you.

...I don't think Lycanroc has a chance, but being quadruped has no bearing on his chances.
Ivysaur picks things up with his vines and duck hunt can stand on all fours, Lycanroc can't do either, there's no way for him to pick up large objects without looking wrong

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I really want Decidueye, he's my 3rd favorite Pokémon (And the first two are past their prime). I do feel that some people don't give his competiton enough credit, though. I think he's fairly likely, but Lycanroc or Mimikyu wouldn't shock me.

Chihiro Fujisaki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KnightOfSpace
I really want Decidueye, he's my 3rd favorite Pokémon (And the first two are past their prime). I do feel that some people don't give his competiton enough credit, though. I think he's fairly likely, but Lycanroc or Mimikyu wouldn't shock me.
i agree, lycanroc in particular received a lot of attention from the anime and games alike, and mimikyu has its own theme song. decidueye is definitely the most popular pokemon of the gen though and they are completely aware of this fact, and decidueye remains the most likely for smash generally speaking. calling decidueye a lock for the game however is just not true

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, no doubts about it.
With Gen 8 coming out in 2019, the new Pokemon absolutely HAS to be a Gen 7 rep.
I'd say even before, it was a sure bet. Even if it was 2018, it could have easily come out after Smash, so having a Gen 8 Pokemon would be a huge stretch.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Count me as a supporter. I don't think he's the most likely contender for a Pokémon newcomer (Lycanroc is definitely more likely due to his prominence in the anime) but he would definitely be my number 1 choice for that franchise. Smash hasn't really seen an archer character yet and could take advantage of having Decidueye.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm back for a bit, so I updated the support list.
Regarding Decidueye's competition, I personally think Lycanroc is the biggest threat at this point, mostly due to being so highly promoted.
Mimikyu strikes me as more of a Pokeball material than a fighter.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
decidueye and lycanroc are not only my favorite alolan pokemon, but they're among my favorites of their respective types and without a doubt my two favorite pokemon possibilities for smash. let's keep our fingers, toes, and any other digits we may have crossed for good things in the next hour!
dropping this in here too. hang in there, guys!

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
With Pokemon trainer back I feel like his chances have decreased slightly as the starter trio is already complete but he definitely has enough merit to warrant playable status on his own tbh

D

Deleted member

With Pokemon trainer back I feel like his chances have decreased slightly as the starter trio is already complete but he definitely has enough merit to warrant playable status on his own tbh
I don't think the whole "star trio" thing mattered to begin with. Saying that Decidueye's chances have decreased because we already have a grass type is incredibly faulty, especially when we have two water types on the roster.
With that said, I do feel that his chances have decreased as there might not be enough room for a Pokemon newcomer at all given that Sakurai said not to expect too many newcomers.

The starter trio fan theory never really mattered in the first place. Hence why it was absent in Smash For.

And frankly I dont think ivysaur is that big of a problem. Ivysaur primarily fights with vines, but I dont think decidueye would have really been doing that anyway. Mostly focusing on archer attacks and a few ghost moves as well as bird attacks. Grass probably was always going to be a little off to the side no matter what. . .IMO

:061:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I don't think the whole "star trio" thing mattered to begin with. Saying that Decidueye's chances have decreased because we already have a grass type is incredibly faulty, especially when we have two water types on the roster.
With that said, I do feel that his chances have decreased as there might not be enough room for a Pokemon newcomer at all given that Sakurai said not to expect too many newcomers.
It obviously wouldn't have been the only factor in his inclusion but it could've helped, Decidueye felt like a natural inclusion alongside Charizard and Greninja but he also has ample moveset potential. The starter thing obviously wasn't the most important thing but I could see sakurai taking that into consideration and factoring that into his decision as well.

But yeah with 9 pokemon on the roster we may not even get another one so who knows

D

Deleted member

It obviously wouldn't have been the only factor in his inclusion but it could've helped, Decidueye felt like a natural inclusion alongside Charizard and Greninja but he also has ample moveset potential. The starter thing obviously wasn't the most important thing but I could see sakurai taking that into consideration and factoring that into his decision as well.

But yeah with 9 pokemon on the roster we may not even get another one so who knows
I don't think 9 Pokemon is neccesarily what lowers his chance, though it might play a part.
It's them, plus the other 56 characters that make a Pokemon newcomer seem like low priority for the base game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It may not be ideal but I would like to have two sets of starter Pokémon. Three of them with the Pokémon Trainer and three of them battling solo.

:pt::squirtle::ivysaur::4charizard: = original starters with Pokémon Trainer

:4greninja: solo Water starter
:substitute: solo Grass starter = Decidueye
:substitute: solo Fire starter = Blaziken

I guess I like bird Pokémon.

meowth_thats_wrong

Smash Cadet
It's not a problem that Decidueye would bring a second Grass type to the roster - it's that one of the main reasons he was touted over all the other possible Pokemon was because his inclusion would bring a Grass type to the roster to fill the Grass/Fire/Water trio with Charizard and Greninja. Now that Pokemon Trainer has completed the typing trio with Ivysaur, a new Grass type isn't a necessity. Sakurai could still prefer Decidueye's bow and arrow as a unique property, but the same could be said for Incineroar's tiger wrestling, among other possibilities, which is why I think that with this new information more Pokemon are fair game for speculation.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I'm concerned

I agree with the 9 pokemon part. Since Pokemon currently has the most reps in Ultimate's roster, I'm concerned about Decidueye's chances. Plus, with there being not too many additional newcomers in the game overall, competition is fiercer than ever. I really hope that Decidueye is popular enough to pull through and get in, but we'll just have to wait and see I suppose. The worst part is that there are probably still many new Pokeball mons being added, so watching them get revealed will be nerve-wracking. It could happen at any moment, but if Decidueye is shown coming outside a Pokeball, it's game over.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I'm concerned

I agree with the 9 pokemon part. Since Pokemon currently has the most reps in Ultimate's roster, I'm concerned about Decidueye's chances. Plus, with there being not too many additional newcomers in the game overall, competition is fiercer than ever. I really hope that Decidueye is popular enough to pull through and get in, but we'll just have to wait and see I suppose. The worst part is that there are probably still many new Pokeball mons being added, so watching them get revealed will be nerve-wracking. It could happen at any moment, but if Decidueye is shown coming outside a Pokeball, it's game over.
To be fair though, popularity is not a factor if the roster was in fact decided in mid-2016, even then though rowlet was insanely popular even back then so adding rowlet's final evolution could be seen as a good choice. More importantly he'd be a unique fighter which is what sakurai would be looking for in his pokemon choice.

Top Bottom