• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alola's Arboreal Archer - The Decidueye for Smash Thread (RIP the dream)

Seraphii

Smash Rookie
Therez a hint from anime developer that rowlet may evolve. I think there may be a hope whereby decidueye may appear sometime during smash period so as to create the hype. Sukarai also added greninja in during the planning phase when only froakie was in the anime at the time

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Therez a hint from anime developer that rowlet may evolve. I think there may be a hope whereby decidueye may appear sometime during smash period so as to create the hype. Sukarai also added greninja in during the planning phase when only froakie was in the anime at the time
That’s good news if it’s true, looks like Rowlet May be more important. I’m worried that the decision was made too late. Or maybe they trying to hype it up last minute? Idk.

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
https://www.gamnesia.com/news/how-does-sakurai-choose-pokemon-to-smash

"Well first of all, we talk with the Pokemon company. What’s the hot Pokemon? What Pokemon are in the movies right now? And really do a lot of research on that front...
...For example, X and Y are coming out [at the time the article was published] – of course, we haven’t done any market research because they’re not out yet, but we look at the animated series or movies and anything like that and again, find out which ones are going to be central to any of conversations in Pokemon going forward...
...But it’s not just that – going back to just what we talked about, what’s unique about them? Where do they fit in with the rest of everything else? What do they have? It’s a combination of those things."

"we look at the animated series or movies"
Even though I really want Decidueye in badly and still think he has a shot, I feel like this part right here hurts his chances. Decidueye has not had any exposure and prominence in the Pikachu: I Choose You movie or the anime in which his only appearance so far has been jobbing to the Masked Royal's stupid Incineroar. Ash's Rowlet still hasn't evolved yet either. I really wish the awful anime didn't influence Smash so much.
Well I think this article doesnt really affect Decidueyes chances as it clearly pertains to how Sakurai chose Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo and Lucario. But with Greninja it is a different story because Sakurai got the designs of Chesnaught, Delphox and Greninja and he chose Greninja because he liked his design the most and saw the most potential. X and Y werent out yet so no one knew how big Greninja would turn out to be.

Now it is the same with Sun and Moon, Sakurai finalized the roster in 2016 when Sun and Moon was still development so it could be the same story possibly.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
Decidueye would be a really interesting newcomer. Pretty easy to think of a moveset for him since there's so many good moves. Spirit Shackle, Leaf Blade, Brave Bird, and Sucker Punch would be cool with me, alongside Sinister Arrow Raid as his final smash. His Long Reach ability would be a nice gimmick too - maybe his projectiles could hit through reflectors or pierce shields. His competition is pretty fierce though, and I do feel that Mimikyu has the same, if not better, chances. Still, I really want him in!

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I've gotta be honest. I was mainly a Pokemon fan of Gen 1 and 2. I tried to get into Generation 3 with Sapphire, but it didn't hold my attention for very long and Pokemon Colosseum was the last game I played for the series for over a decade. Then, when Sun and Moon were announced, it was kinda interesting at first and I thought Rowlett was kinda cute. And then the designs for the final forms for the starters were revealed, and Decidueye won me over with its unique design and abilities. I bought Sun pretty much almost entirely for Decidueye and that bonus Greninja thanks to the demo. I'm completely on board with this ghostly archer as a playable fighter.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Although I mostly support Lycanroc (Midday and Midnight), I’m one of those people that would be fine with either.

So although I would be a little bummed if Lycanroc doesn’t get in I would be fine with Decidueye. So I support.

D

Deleted member

Just updated the support list.
It's good to see that people still haven't given up on Decidueye, and seeing more supporters makes me happy. Here's hoping we'll be able to play as him in Smash in 5 months.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So over in the Character Project Proposal Thread I made a Decidueye one, figure I'll post it here.

Decidueye

Decidueye is one of the starter Pokémon from Pokémon Sun and Moon, and he later went on to appear in Pokken Tournament DX. Pokken Tournament has many mechanics that would make for an interesting fighter, especially when in addition to Decidueye's other abilities. At the start of the match and every time Decidueye respawns, he chooses either Litten or Popplio as his Support Pokémon. The Pokémon chosen adds extra properties to attacks and gives him new special attacks. Also, the Synergy Gauge mechanic appears. Once filled, Decidueye can go into Burst mode via using Shield and Special. It doesn't last long, but various attacks deal more damage and have more parts. Burst cant be charged manually and Strong attacks from opponents deplete it faster.

Theme: Pokken Tournament Mechanics

I plan on making a moveset soon-ish using this concept.

D

Deleted member

Support you as ever Decidueye will never stop till, your in Smash. RandomAce my last post was simply referring to how we, will continue to support Decidueye for Smash regardless of it's chances. If it was at all confusing sorry. Maybe I just need to word these better oh well. Regardless don't worry I support it as much as I ever have. Again sorry for any confusion on anything.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Regardless of the new thread stating Decidueye won't be in Smash, I'm not going to write him off just yet. There are a lot of factors leaning in his favor, and Sakurai and the devs would find him unique in terms of moveset potential, where as Incineroar could be considered redundant.

D

Deleted member

Regardless of the new thread stating Decidueye won't be in Smash, I'm not going to write him off just yet. There are a lot of factors leaning in his favor, and Sakurai and the devs would find him unique in terms of moveset potential, where as Incineroar could be considered redundant.
I've been to that thread for a little bit... Meh.
I don't even feel like wasting my energy on debunking all of these points, or even get upset (I have more important things to worry about anyway).
None of them even give a good reason why he won't get in, and the second point just makes me cringe.

D

Deleted member

Decidueye's chances, are as good as, Minkyu's or as good as, Lycan roc's are Incuneroar's regardless. I think it's chances are still incredibly high no matter what and it will have a good. Chance of getting in no matter what.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I'm Fully Supportive for this because:
A. There's still A Missing Link between the Overlaping Fire-Water-Grass type Triangle of Both Gen 1, And the Gen 6 Greninja; to complete the Overlap; Decidueye would fill in the gap
B. Decidueye is a Popular Pokemon; and even More Important; One Factor that DOESN'T Change Perspective whether in the Eastern OR Western Hemisphere; Decidueye is One Potential Smash Fighter with a UNIQUE Possibility for Movesets(What Other Smash Fighter PRIMARILY Fights as An Archer; WITHOUT SWORDS OR Mystical Artifacts; Meaning Link, & Pit & Dark Pit DON'T COUNT As Archer Smash Fighters as that Archery only applies to their Neutral Special)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I like Decidueye. :)

I saw the movesets in the first post could make it out to use projectiles for aerials? That might be cool, kinda like villager. But I also would like aerials that are like wrastor in Rivals of either. It's straight forward wing attacks kinda like Marth's sword attacks, but then the b moves could have the arrows and more. Just my thought.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I was really looking forward to Decidueye being our Grass/Ghost rep and also completing the fully evolved starter trio.

Unfortunately, the return of Trainer and Pichu has taken a huge dump on the "one-pokemon per type" and "starter trio" sets that 4 had going, and it's really sapped my enthusiasm for the character...

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If they can add Decidueye in ultimate, and then a new fire starter then it's all good, 2 of each. Or just don't care about being symetrical at all or whatever. Just support it if you like it :p

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I was really looking forward to Decidueye being our Grass/Ghost rep and also completing the fully evolved starter trio.

Unfortunately, the return of Trainer and Pichu has taken a huge dump on the "one-pokemon per type" and "starter trio" sets that four had going, and it's really sapped my enthusiasm for the character...
To be fair Greninja only uses 1 maybe 2 moves that are explicitly water based. But the rest of his moves are more Ninja based. Substitution, his side B. Water shuriken?

Likewise Decidueye still has the archer motif going for him. Not to mention Ghost and Flying moves along with the grass moves.

D

Deleted member

Some people care more about typing than moveset, I guess. :rolleyes:
Not judging but to me this just seems dumb.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
To be fair Greninja only uses 1 maybe 2 moves that are explicitly water based. But the rest of his moves are more Ninja based. Substitution, his side B. Water shuriken?
Ummm, Neutral B, Up B, Side Smash, Up smash, down smash, jab, nair, fair, and the grab and pummel all have water based properties what are you talking about?

Last edited:

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Grab is clearly the move Whirlpool, the water katana attacks seem to be a reference to Razor Shell (Samurott uses it in a very similar way to the DSmash). Nair can be made a case for being based on Bubble or Aqua Ring, and there is also the taunt that MIGHT be Water Sport.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Some people care more about typing than moveset, I guess. :rolleyes:
Not judging but to me this just seems dumb.
I am dumb!

Or at least, OCD about the subject.

Smash 4 had 6 Pokemon with a perfect spread of typings with no overlap.

Normal
Fighting
Flying

Poison
Ground
Rock
Bug
Ghost
Steel
Fire
Water

Grass
Electric
Psychic

Ice
Dragon
Dark
Fairy

Decidueye would have crossed two more off the list, leaving room for a nice Rock/Ground type or Bug/Poison type in the future. But now, we have two Electric and Water types...and we've already got a Grass type. It's all a mess now...:(

D

Deleted member

I am dumb!

Or at least, OCD about the subject.

Smash 4 had 6 Pokemon with a perfect spread of typings with no overlap.

Normal
Fighting
Flying

Poison
Ground
Rock
Bug
Ghost
Steel
Fire
Water

Grass
Electric
Psychic

Ice
Dragon
Dark
Fairy

Decidueye would have crossed two more off the list, leaving room for a nice Rock/Ground type or Bug/Poison type in the future. But now, we have two Electric and Water types...and we've already got a Grass type. It's all a mess now...:(
I mean that would've been nice and all, but... what about everything else that makes Decidueye cool?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I mean that would've been nice and all, but... what about everything else that makes Decidueye cool?
It's still cool. It's just no longer...perfect.

I mean, he's still in my top 10. It's not like I don't still want him. I just...want to go back in time and make Trainer and Pichu not exist. Yes, that's it.

D

Deleted member

It's still cool. It's just no longer...perfect.

I mean, he's still in my top 10. It's not like I don't still want him. I just...want to go back in time and make Trainer and Pichu not exist. Yes, that's it.
That's fair, I guess.
In a way I can sympathize with that since too many people are dismissing the possibility of a Pokemon newcomer because we have "too many" (I'm aware that Sakurai is probably not gonna care about it), but I'm content with having every veteran back.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Ummm, Neutral B, Up B, Side Smash, Up smash, down smash, jab, nair, fair, and the grab and pummel all have water based properties what are you talking about?
I pointed out the ? with Neutral B because it is water but it's also a shuriken in other words Ninja. Water Ninja?
His Up B is exactly One of the sole moves that use water that I pointed out. Water Shuriken being the other.
His Smash attacks and Fair have him make a blade indeed with water. What kind of blade? a Ninjato. In other words Ninja.
His jab are a series of swiping attacks. Much like how Ninjas tend to fight.

My point is that while Greninja is a water type it seems to me that his character concept was more about him being a "Ninja" then say a just a "Water Type". And that I would imagine something similar would be applied to Decidueye except replace Ninja with Archer.

Last edited:

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I pointed out the ? with Neutral B because it is water but it's also a shuriken in other words Ninja. Water Ninja?
His Up B is exactly One of the sole moves that use water that I pointed out. Water Shuriken being the other.
His Smash attacks and Fair have him make a blade indeed with water. What kind of blade? a Ninjato. In other words Ninja.
His jab are a series of swiping attacks. Much like how Ninjas tend to fight.

My point is that while Greninja is a water type it seems to me that his character concept was more about him being a "Ninja" then say a just a "Water Type". And that I would imagine something similar would be applied to Decidueye except replace Ninja with Archer.
My bad. Your phrasing made it sound like water was hardly present in his moveset at all.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Pokemon is the most popular franchise, especially since pokemon go, so we can totally expect more pokemon.
Deci ftw.

What I don't get much is why they split off Yoshi in his own category alone. Add a shyguy or birdo or something, i dunno.

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
Well, we can have Decidueye and Ivysaur together. It's not like it's matter to have only one Grass Type Pokemon rep.

Anyway, add me as a supporter, because I think he had a good chance of getting in.

Kaberman

Smash Rookie
Yeah mark me down for a supporter as well. Decidueye's always had a cool design and has tons of unique moveset potencial.

D

Deleted member

Decidueye has, has a ton of potential, and plenty of unique traits. To make him a playable fighter.

D

Deleted member

I started playing Ultra Moon recently.
I originally planned on picking Popplio because I like all of the starters and I wanted to use all of them eventually, I ended up picking Rowlet again "for good measure".
Obviously I don't think it's gonna influence anything - this is more of my means of crossing my fingers, and I just want to use my second favorite starter again.
(Also I updated the support list)

D

Deleted member

Was playing too, Pokemon Sun is my Favorite Pokemon, game Alola my Favorite region, Decidueye, Incineroar, Lycanroc midday/dusk form, Wishiwashi, Mudsdale. All Pokemon from that region I adore Decidueye my Favourite Pokemon. Can't give enough praise to Pokemon Sun and Moon, and Ultra sun and moon look great. Enjoy ultra moon.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Well, we can have Decidueye and Ivysaur together. It's not like it's matter to have only one Grass Type Pokemon rep.

Anyway, add me as a supporter, because I think he had a good chance of getting in.
Me too; Especially since they would BOTH Play VERY Differently; with Decidueye being an Owl(which means he can Fly) and an Archer

Top Bottom