• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All smashers, please fill this form out, for Gamecube controllers for smash 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I love the GameCube controller, I really do. I mean, I can easily adjust to Smash 64 on the VC, Melee, and Brawl thanks to this controller and the button layout. The Smash games just feel so well designed for the GameCube controller in mind and it is by far my favorite controller in all of gaming for how comfortable it is.

However, I have to accept the fact that we will be unable to use them for Wii U and especially the 3DS version. At this point, I would have to hope some 3rd party developer can make an exact replica of a GameCube controller that works specifically for the Wii U.

I have used the Wii U Pro Controller before and it's absolutely comfortable. It works properly and I think that, while it will take time to get used to, it will be my preferred controller of choice for Smash 4. Do I want to see Nintendo make a GameCube controller for the Wii U? Hell yeah! But do I think that it will happen? No. As someone pointed out, Nintendo is barely influenced by petitions and such as they rarely check them. So, I think that we are probably wasting our time with trying to make them happen.

Long story short: It won't happen and our preferred controller for Smash 4 might be the Wii U Pro Controller. I want it to happen, but I know that it won't.

Last edited by a moderator:

BentoBox

Smash Master
For those against the idea of the controller, are you the kind of people who criticize speed runners because it takes fun out of the game? Do you criticize your friends and family for liking things that you don't like or understand? I like to watch old black and white movies for their amazing story and acting. Sure I will watch new ones but to have that old option there makes it simply better over all. Should I stop watching these because "dude that's 20 years old get over it already"? Why are you criticizing people for wanting something that they are used to? Why should you care that we prefer something else? Just because you like something we don't or or likewise doesn't mean you should try to stop it. I always find it rude to criticize people because of their choices when it comes down to preference. Feel free to express your own opinion when it doesn't come to bashing others.

On a side not, not totally related to the controller.
"its 13 years let it go"
That's right you should not try to remember your household pets, your friends, or your family, its not like their here. You should especial not remember those fond memories you had when you were younger, that was years ago, right? Let me ask you this. Do you have that one thing you have nostalgia for? That one stuffed animal, that one toy, the old place you used to hang out at? Why are you telling us to lose what we have just because you don't feel the same. It's a reminder to people of their childhood, simpler times, easier lives. To relive those moments means a lot to people, its their preference, its there want. Why on earth do you have the right to tell them to stop if it is not hurting anyone?
Most people would buy the controller if it did indeed exist. What we're explaining is that it doesn't make sense for Nintendo as a business to invest in creating a controller because a small subset of a game's community is unpleased with the current plethora of controller offerings (wiimote, mote+chuck, CC, CCPro, WiiU Gamepad, WiiUPro). Nostalgia does a poor job at explaining why Nintendo would even invest in such an idea. Aside from pleasing Melee enthusiasts, why would they bring to market another controller that goes into direct competition with what's already on the shelves? To drive away 3rd parties like Nyko? No really, why?

That's why we're telling you guys to move on. Because there is no justifying such a proposition logically.

And there's always the mayflash. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQiN-Fi9peA

salaboB

Smash Champion
OH...so the Wiimote+Nunchuk combo has awkward button placement? That controller setup has one finger on each button at all times. The Classic Controller Pro's amazing too, it has all the buttons of standard controllers and the letter buttons are in normal places, not the Gamecube's weird A-centric setup...seriously, a single look at the GCN controller lets you know that it's a very experimental design, and I don't see what's so wrong with the shoulder buttons being actual buttons.
Some people claim controllers are viable for first person shooters in place of a keyboard and mouse.

While I accept that first person shooters can be fun using a controller, there's no way controllers compare to a keyboard and mouse for effectiveness.

I believe the same applies to the wiimote+nunchuk vs GC controller.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Some people claim controllers are viable for first person shooters in place of a keyboard and mouse.

While I accept that first person shooters can be fun using a controller, there's no way controllers compare to a keyboard and mouse for effectiveness.

I believe the same applies to the wiimote+nunchuk vs GC controller.
In that the GC controller is superior, right? Because I completely get that.

I honestly doubt this idea will come to fruition, but it would be amazing if it did. It's not insane a small team could be developed to do this. I mean, Project M started like that

grizby2

Smash Lord
I could care less weather or not the controller is wireless. I simply think that the GC controller is one of the most comfortable controllers out there.
xbox did it right the first time, the second time they hardly changed anything, and now with the Xbox One, their controller layout is still almost unchanged. they knew what they had, and what they had they knew was good.
also , I didn't see the need to make the inner part of the controller more like a snes controller. even on the virtual console, I could play all snes games perfectly with the A,B,X, and Y layout on the GC controller, so I don't know what gives...
if for some reason I cant play with the new controller, i'll try out the wii classic contriller, and if THAT doesn't work out, only THEN will I get a GC adapter.

I give props to Nintendo for finding new ways for us to play games, but there's no need to fix something that's not broken (especially if it already works very well!)

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I really don't care about wires or not either. I mean don't get me wrong I loved the Wavebird, but wires aren't the bane of my existence or anything. I just find it very odd that Nintendo announced it will be releasing GC games for Virtual Console, and then not really have the most GC-friendly controller. It's very possible they just thought "good enough" and let it be, though.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I like how some people forgot that the GC controller was widely used in competitive Brawl (and probably non-competitive brawl) as well. This is hardly a melee-exclusive issue.

That being said I don't really feel like signing the petition, because this Wii U GC controller in the petition doesn't really seem to fix the bigger issue, which is the lack of wired controllers for the Wii U. That and as far as wireless options go there is supposed to be a GC controller converter anyways for the Wii U.

EverythingSmash

www.youtube.com/everythingsmash
I'll mention the petition in my next throw down thursday video.But I'm ready for a change, I'd much rather someone start a petition for wired wii u pro controllers. Thats really the bigger issue at hand here. Sure we will miss the gamecube controller, but we should really be putting are efforts towards getting nintendo to produce a wired controller for the wii u...

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I bet they'll make the 2DS/3DS a compatible controller for the wii u, like how the ps vita can be used as a controller for ps3 games. No doubt alot of people are gonna stick with 3DS smash bros.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
OH...so the Wiimote+Nunchuk combo has awkward button placement? That controller setup has one finger on each button at all times. The Classic Controller Pro's amazing too, it has all the buttons of standard controllers and the letter buttons are in normal places, not the Gamecube's weird A-centric setup...seriously, a single look at the GCN controller lets you know that it's a very experimental design, and I don't see what's so wrong with the shoulder buttons being actual buttons.
This is specifically why I love this setup. It's all the reason why I love arcade sticks. With the right control setup, the Wiimote+Nunchaku setup is very comfortable and can practically be a smaller arcade stick in a sense.

If there's one flaw in the GC controller's design, it's the A-centric button layout. It doesn't really matter if you're playing a game where one button IS your primary button, but imagine playing most fighting games, for example, on the GC controller. The attacks that require two buttons would not be ergonomic on a GC controller.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
This is specifically why I love this setup. It's all the reason why I love arcade sticks. With the right control setup, the Wiimote+Nunchaku setup is very comfortable and can practically be a smaller arcade stick in a sense.

If there's one flaw in the GC controller's design, it's the A-centric button layout. It doesn't really matter if you're playing a game where one button IS your primary button, but imagine playing most fighting games, for example, on the GC controller. The attacks that require two buttons would not be ergonomic on a GC controller.
One example is playing Super Mario World on Virtual Console with a GameCube controller. Playing that game with the GameCube controller was so god awful it was the reason why I bought a Classic Controller. In SMW you need to rest your right thumb on both the B Button & Y Button but since those buttons are so far apart from each other on the GC controller I had to place my fingers in very uncomfortable ways in order for me to play it.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Just curious, why does it matter whether or not the controller is wired? Can't we map the buttons with the names?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Just curious, why does it matter whether or not the controller is wired? Can't we map the buttons with the names?
The concern is primarily tournaments. At tournaments, you run the risk of running into wireless interference. It actually happened for an EVO Tekken tournament. Unfortunately, I can't find the video, but the controller disconnected in the middle of a match. The other problem is input lag caused by wireless controls. Wired controllers are consistent in their input lag, if any.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
The concern is primarily tournaments. At tournaments, you run the risk of running into wireless interference. It actually happened for an EVO Tekken tournament. Unfortunately, I can't find the video, but the controller disconnected in the middle of a match. The other problem is input lag caused by wireless controls. Wired controllers are consistent in their input lag, if any.
Ah... I mean I guess I see input lag being a problem.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
how does one suggest solving the wired problem?? You COULD do something like plugging one of those things into a USB port that had more USB ports in it (I forget what it's called, sorry) to expand to four controllers, which would plug into said branching port. That's all I can think of at the moment

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Other fighting game communities are obsessed with fight sticks, as many people originally played fighting games in the arcade, so I can see how wanting to use a gamecube controller like we have been using for the past 12 years may seem like a necessity.
They've been upgrading fightsticks to make them more ergonomic, portable, compatible with multiple systems, more durable, quieter, etc, etc, etc. These guys are asking for the same thing they've had for years.

I said it was the only one designed with control sticks in mind, as in it's the only one that takes in mind where the control sticks should go most comfortably, pro controller just slapped them on top.
And I agreed. It was made with melee in mind iirc. And the pro-controller felt pretty comfy to me. And concerning analog placement, I never realized how awkward it was to press (relatively)diagonally to go forward or look up/down. It's also less strenuous on the hands imo.

lol, xbox and playstation consoles have barely changed their controllers over the years, and last i checked, nobody was complaining.
I was saying that that the only major differences to nintendo controllers are usually cosmetic, i.e. the shell. Button placement is consistent across controllers excluding the GC and arguably wii. And the playstation/xbox controllers have changed a good bit. Mostly to make thing more ergonomic, but each added something different to the previous ones: rumble, motion controls, touchpad, and ps light come to mind. And again, no one really complained about how nintendo changed controllers except for a very, very, very small minority.

They're still producing and shipping new gcn remotes, i got 2 brand new ones for christmas, and i'm certain they're not "falling apart" or "broken". It's not a rusty old knife, it's a prestine knife of an older model.
There's nothing wrong with either change or lack of change, this isn't an update to the remote, it's a completely different style of remote that people may not prefer, like a school lunch suddenly one day serving strawberries instead of grapes. Some people want the grapes, but does that make it right for the people who like the strawberries telling them to "adapt" to the new lunches?
People wanting the old gamecube remote aren't hurting you in any way. you could've just ignored this thread entirely, but for some reason the concept of using the gcn model of remote offends you so much that you had to post here.
Um, no. GC controller production stopped in 2012 end even then they only made a few silver/platinum/gray/whatever ones. And new controllers bought are just left overs from back then....and seeing as how, according to you, there actually are leftovers you can take a guess as to how well they sold. And again, if you're strenuously using something, especially something with mechanical parts that are not immune to the ravages of time, it's going start breaking down. Doesnt matter how well you take care of it. Even if you keep it in a box for years the parts will still be getting old or breakdown a bit. Doesnt matter how "pristine" it is.

And again, I'm saying to ask for something BETTER. I'm not saying that the wii u pro is for everyone, I'm saying that instead of asking for the same model controller you've been using for years, that you ask for something better.

And you keep using the words like "offend" and "bothered". Why? It's quite possible to disagree with something and not be bothered or offended. It's quite possible that I just wanted to peacefully, though opposingly, share my opinion. The TC fulfilled his purpose in the very first post, so why worry about what happens after? And it's not like the people who disagree are hurting you or your chances (like nintendo as a whole gives a piss about these forums) so why get worked up or "offended".

But concerning your lunch metafore....yes. If all there is to eat in a town is bread and strawberries and one guy whines about just not liking strawberries (not being allergic or having a weird phobia of strawberries, but just not liking themm) and that he wants grapes even though it's in an area/time where/when cultivating grapes is unreasonable and ignores what may be a good alternative to grapes (perhaps muscadines or lychees), then by all means $#%& that guy.

EDIT:
Here's the thing.
Gamecube controllers are incredibly ergonomic.
I agree. Lets hope that any new wired controller are EVEN MORE ergonimic, i.e. better and not the same
Also dose analogue L&R buttons.
I dont think nintendo, or any reasonable company would add a seldom used feature (there's a reason none of the next gen have it) to a single controller for a single game, that every one who plays the game would need to have to be on an even playing field.
We need a base wired controller setup for tournaments and the like.
Got that right. Future tournament need a few hiccups as possible.
The Gamecube controller is in high demand, and other companies have already made adapters to use the classic controller input.
It really isnt in high demand. It's pretty much just some of the tournament goers who dont like or havent tries other control schemes.

Nintendo has nothing to lose by it and a lot to gain, so get off our backs and stop accusing us of whining.
Don't pretend to know our reasons, and don't make such disrespectful assumptions about us.
Jerks.
Things to lose by making another gc controller instead of something better: money
Things to gain: adoration of the people who use gc controllers for one game on wii u
And I dont remember any one claiming your reasons, but those reasons dont automatically make the request reasonable, especially to a business. So it's they're not really disrespectful assumptions (at least the post I've bothered to read). That being said, anyone being unreasonable will be rode till the break of dawn and then some [puts on stirrups and @$$less chaps......and pants] =P

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
They've been upgrading fightsticks to make them more ergonomic, portable, compatible with multiple systems, more durable, quieter, etc, etc, etc. These guys are asking for the same thing they've had for years.
Did you even look at the petition? It's literally just an updated layout of the gcn remote, it has Two bumpers, and triggers along the top and another equally sized control stick where the C stick used to be.

I was saying that that the only major differences to nintendo controllers are usually cosmetic, i.e. the shell. Button placement is consistent across controllers excluding the GC and arguably wii. And the playstation/xbox controllers have changed a good bit. Mostly to make thing more ergonomic, but each added something different to the previous ones: rumble, motion controls, touchpad, and ps light come to mind. And again, no one really complained about how nintendo changed controllers except for a very, very, very small minority.
rumble, motion controls and the touchpad are minute additions to the controllers, not something drastic like switching around buttons and control sticks.

Um, no. GC controller production stopped in 2012 end even then they only made a few silver/platinum/gray/whatever ones. And new controllers bought are just left overs from back then....and seeing as how, according to you, there actually are leftovers you can take a guess as to how well they sold. And again, if you're strenuously using something, especially something with mechanical parts that are not immune to the ravages of time, it's going start breaking down. Doesnt matter how well you take care of it. Even if you keep it in a box for years the parts will still be getting old or breakdown a bit. Doesnt matter how "pristine" it is.
This thread is on a petition for Newer gcn remotes, the condition of older ones is a REASON people want new ones.

And again, I'm saying to ask for something BETTER. I'm not saying that the wii u pro is for everyone, I'm saying that instead of asking for the same model controller you've been using for years, that you ask for something better.
Better? That's completely opinion based, anything better than a gcn remote to someone who prefers the gcn remote is going to be adding things where they're needed, not completely changing how the controller looks and plays

And you keep using the words like "offend" and "bothered". Why? It's quite possible to disagree with something and not be bothered or offended. It's quite possible that I just wanted to peacefully, though opposingly, share my opinion. The TC fulfilled his purpose in the very first post, so why worry about what happens after? And it's not like the people who disagree are hurting you or your chances (like nintendo as a whole gives a piss about these forums) so why get worked up or "offended".
You're the one addressing a "problem" in the smash community that is completely unrelated to wanting a new gcn style remote. You say people can't move on from melee and gcn controllers when that's completely unrelated to the topic at hand. People want a newer modeled gcn remote because the remote is in their opinion the most comfortable way to play smash. They've used it for melee and they've used it for brawl as well. And apparently, if they don't want to switch to a new remote they're compared to "old, gray-haired sub-urban men you see in films". you're completely ignoring their point of view in favor of your shiny new pro controller.

But concerning your lunch metafore....yes. If all there is to eat in a town is bread and strawberries and one guy whines about just not liking strawberries (not being allergic or having a weird phobia of strawberries, but just not liking themm) and that he wants grapes even though it's in an area/time where/when cultivating grapes is unreasonable and ignores what may be a good alternative to grapes (perhaps muscadines or lychees), then by all means $#%& that guy.
*metaphor, and your response makes no sense. Multiple people want the grapes, and the only reason they're not sold anymore is because the grape farm was torn down in favor of the strawberry farm. How is that fair? What's so bad about them petitioning to build a new strawberry farm? The gcn remote was abandoned for little to no reason in favor of the new remote, OF COURSE there's going to be people against that.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
*metaphor, and your response makes no sense. Multiple people want the grapes, and the only reason they're not sold anymore is because the grape farm was torn down in favor of the strawberry farm. How is that fair? What's so bad about them petitioning to build a new strawberry farm? The gcn remote was abandoned for little to no reason in favor of the new remote, OF COURSE there's going to be people against that.
Was abandoned for little to no reason....S.E.R.I.O.U.S.L.Y!?
No, I mean...are you being serious here? Oh god...lemme tell you why the GCN was abandoned...BECAUSE WE'RE ALREADY 2 GENS FROM IT! Countless, better controller options exist now.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Was abandoned for little to no reason....S.E.R.I.O.U.S.L.Y!?
No, I mean...are you being serious here? Oh god...lemme tell you why the GCN was abandoned...BECAUSE WE'RE ALREADY 2 GENS FROM IT! Countless, better controller options exist now.
Ps2 remote to ps4 remote
xbox remote to Xbone remote
Both controllers have the same design, with the biggest additions being ps4's touchpad and xbox's removal of white and black buttons, nothing near as drastic as the gcn remote to pro controller.
Stop throwing around the word "Better" the gcn style remote is a preference, and when it comes to preference there is little to say for "better" or "worse". Stop acting like your opinion is fact.
Also, the gcn remote is often used competitively in brawl as well, and as our friend @ Dravidian Dravidian said, the remotes were discontinued in 2012, Which is quite a bit less than "2 gens".

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Ps2 remote to ps4 remote
xbox remote to Xbone remote
Both controllers have the same design, with the biggest additions being ps4's touchpad and xbox's removal of white and black buttons, nothing near as drastic as the gcn remote to pro controller.
Stop throwing around the word "Better" the gcn style remote is a preference, and when it comes to preference there is little to say for "better" or "worse". Stop acting like your opinion is fact.
Also, the gcn remote is often used competitively in brawl as well, and as our friend @ Dravidian Dravidian said, the remotes were discontinued in 2012, Which is quite a bit less than "2 gens".
Look, while I'm not gonna say that the Gcn controller is gone and deal with it. But you've gotta keep up with your words as well.
You imply the D-idara should stop "throwing around the word better", and yet you pull up how it's used in Brawl tounaments. Well certainly that must have some importance. But for what?

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Look, while I'm not gonna say that the Gcn controller is gone and deal with it. But you've gotta keep up with your words as well.
You imply the D-idara should stop "throwing around the word better", and yet you pull up how it's used in Brawl tounaments. Well certainly that must have some importance. But for what?
I'm not saying it's better, i'm saying it's still relevant and that people still use it.Most people in my experience prefer the Gcn remote to wii remotes, but that doesn't make the gcn style "better" than the wiimote+nunchuck combo. The problem is that people suddenly don't have the option for the gcn remote or any non 3rd party remote with the same style as it, and people are saying that the wii u controller is now "better" than the gcn remote.
If you're wondering why i said that, it's a response to D-idara's second statement about how the gcn remote is supposedly 2 gens away from us.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm not saying it's better, i'm saying it's still relevant and that people still use it.Most people in my experience prefer the Gcn remote to wii remotes, but that doesn't make the gcn style "better" than the wiimote+nunchuck combo. The problem is that people suddenly don't have the option for the gcn remote or any non 3rd party remote with the same style as it, and people are saying that the wii u controller is now "better" than the gcn remote.
If you're wondering why i said that, it's a response to D-idara's second statement about how the gcn remote 2 gens away from us.
So? Look I know it's kind of a cliche by now, but yes, people do have to adapt. Adapting isn't bad. And no, I'm still not saying that the Gcn controller is outdated and deal with it.

But, what about the people who had an N64 as a kid, and had to go to the GCN, they couldn't bring their controller with them, they had to use a new controller which, at the time, was foreign to them. Or how 'bout the people switching from a DS to a 3DS. Heck I'm sure many we're still happy with their "old" DS. I know I was. But, for one reason for another, had to upgrade. Was it hard? Sure. But we somehow got through, the same can happen here.

Change happens, it's unavoidable. Am I saying the controller was bad? No. But what I am saying is we can't just say a petition is the only option. We have other controllers, not to mention adapters.

If didn't sign the petetion, dip.

I'm just amazed at how much of an incredible jerk most of you posters can be because he likes a game controller, telling him to "move on" when honestly, y'all need to grow the **** up.
( Excluding those who didn't pop off like an angry child)

You guys think having a GC controller is a problem? If I remember correctly the Wii still used the controller. Hell, what if Nintendo decides to put GC games on virtual console? Good luck playing Super Mario Sunhine without pressure sensitive controllers. Unlike the classic controller and classic contrioller pro (which was an attempt to make the current one MORE like a GC controller), and the side Wii mote, the GC controller is it's own deal. So it's ok to remake an old controller and another one twice, but wanting a GC controller is a sin? Please.

Nintendo knows people will buy it, but they simply won't make it since they would lose money and oligopolies like GameStop will continue to take in money for used GC games and Wii games. From an economic standpoint it wouldn't cost that much to make; just produce less Nintendo peripherals that have not been purchased or ones that have saturated the market (ex. Wii balance board). Nintendo makes enough off of these ridiculous peripherals, it's just that these Nintendo fans are complacent and bend over the barrel to these supposed innovators.

The problem isn't wanting a GC controller, it's you bitter elitist gamers who feel that they need to be superior within a subculture. We are all gamers, because you play a certain way doesn't make you any better or worse, however, it makes you an asshole, strait up. Did M2K come in here saying Melee is better, or implying that is a better game? No, he posted a link and you took the liberty to put words in his mouth before even attempting to make a logical assessment behind the petition.

Then again it was his own fault for coming to this part of smashboards. Half of you are gonna leave by the time the game comes out and the other half probably suck so bad that it doesn't matter which game or controller they use. If anyone has the right to post his opinions here it's Mew2King, who has done more with smash and the community than you ever would hope to, not some angry person who can't handle others personal preferences.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
So? Look I know it's kind of a cliche by now, but yes, people do have to adapt. Adapting isn't bad. And no, I'm still not saying that the Gcn controller is outdated and deal with it.

But, what about the people who had an N64 as a kid, and had to go to the GCN, they couldn't bring their controller with them, they had to use a new controller which, at the time, was foreign to them. Or how 'bout the people switching from a DS to a 3DS. Heck I'm sure many we're still happy with their "old" DS. I know I was. But, for one reason for another, had to upgrade. Was it hard? Sure. But we somehow got through, the same can happen here.

Change happens, it's unavoidable. Am I saying the controller was bad? No. But what I am saying is we can't just say a petition is the only option. We have other controllers, not to mention adapters.
The n64 controller was noticeably flawed, and the jump from the ds to the 3ds necessary and very minimal.I had a ds lite for years and the worst part about adjusting to the 3ds was the power button being where the start button used to be (led to lots of rage).
If you're against signing the petition, just leave. This is supposed to be a thread for people who want to sign the petition, not an outlet for everyone to vent their hatred of the gcn remote and the Melee community (even though the gcn remote is still used in brawl.)

and holy crap @ E Eternal phoenix Fire pretty much just posted what i've been trying to put into words this whole time. Thanks, man!

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Did you even look at the petition? It's literally just an updated layout of the gcn remote, it has Two bumpers, and triggers along the top and another equally sized control stick where the C stick used to be.

rumble, motion controls and the touchpad are minute additions to the controllers, not something drastic like switching around buttons and control sticks.

This thread is on a petition for Newer gcn remotes, the condition of older ones is a REASON people want new ones.

Better? That's completely opinion based, anything better than a gcn remote to someone who prefers the gcn remote is going to be adding things where they're needed, not completely changing how the controller looks and plays

You're the one addressing a "problem" in the smash community that is completely unrelated to wanting a new gcn style remote. You say people can't move on from melee and gcn controllers when that's completely unrelated to the topic at hand. People want a newer modeled gcn remote because the remote is in their opinion the most comfortable way to play smash. They've used it for melee and they've used it for brawl as well. And apparently, if they don't want to switch to a new remote they're compared to "old, gray-haired sub-urban men you see in films". you're completely ignoring their point of view in favor of your shiny new pro controller.

Tired of multi-quoting so I'll just put it in order.

• It's a GC controller with a zl and a change to the c stick that makes no difference since it's usually just tapped and (based my admittedly limited knowledge) Smash 4 doesnt seem to use it in a different manner. So it's almost literally just a cosmetic change
  • Look at previous nintendo controllers. The button layout has actually remained pretty consistent aside from the GC controller. The thing that really changes are the controller shells
  • If you mean it's the reason they want GC controllers with a new paint job then sure...
  • kinda shooting yourself in the foot there since by that logic thinking the gc controller doesnt need to be updated is just an opinion.....which pretty much validates this discussion as people simply bring different points on controllers, which is just fine. And the bit about only adding and never changing just isnt true, dude. Plenty of instances of products doing a complete rehaul of a design and doing well. Just look at the OS of and interactions with current computers compared to the originals.
  • Exactly how is discussing controllers and why people should want them or better ones unrelated. And you just stated it yourself: "the remote is in their opinion the most comfortable way to play smash. They've used it for melee and they've used it for brawl as well." Right there. They completely ignore the possibility of a new controller that before it's even made. The "cant get better" mentality is BS. Why bother playing new game if everything needs to be the same to enjoy it? And AGAIN, I'm talking about the possibilities of a completely new controller, not the pro controller.; a controller that can be better than the GC AND the pro controller AND still be marketable to the masses without coming at a stupid high price.
  • discontinuing something that's not profitable isn't little to no reason. If the grape farm wasnt profitable and they decide to make strawberry farm and are open to other profitable farms that may possibly be better than grapes, then how is it not fair? Asking any business who has already given you much over the years(they really could put less into smash and most would still buy it for the same price) and doesnt owe you anything to do something that at that moment makes no business sense to them JUST so you and a few others (compared to all the other people they're catering to) can have your way -and for a luxury item at that- makes you all sound self-entitled. It may not be the case, but that's what it sounds like....which is tiresome to hear.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

• It's a GC controller with a zl and a change to the c stick that makes no difference since it's usually just tapped and (based my admittedly limited knowledge) Smash 4 doesnt seem to use it in a different manner. So it's almost literally just a cosmetic change
  • Look at previous nintendo controllers. The button layout has actually remained pretty consistent aside from the GC controller. The thing that really changes are the controller shells
  • If you mean it's the reason they want GC controllers with a new paint job then sure...
  • kinda shooting yourself in the foot there since by that logic thinking the gc controller doesnt need to be updated is just an opinion.....which pretty much validates this discussion as people simply bring different points on controllers, which is just fine. And the bit about only adding and never changing just isnt true, dude. Plenty of instances of products doing a complete rehaul of a design and doing well. Just look at the OS of and interactions with current computers compared to the originals.
  • Exactly how is discussing controllers and why people should want them or better ones unrelated. And you just stated it yourself: "the remote is in their opinion the most comfortable way to play smash. They've used it for melee and they've used it for brawl as well." Right there. They completely ignore the possibility of a new controller that before it's even made. The "cant get better" mentality is BS. Why bother playing new game if everything needs to be the same to enjoy it? And AGAIN, I'm talking about the possibilities of a completely new controller, not the pro controller.; a controller that can be better than the GC AND the pro controller AND still be marketable to the masses without coming at a stupid high price.
  • discontinuing something that's not profitable isn't little to no reason. If the grape farm wasnt profitable and they decide to make strawberry farm and are open to other profitable farms that may possibly be better than grapes, then how is it not fair? Asking any business who has already given you much over the years(they really could put less into smash and most would still buy it for the same price) and doesnt owe you anything to do something that at that moment makes no business sense to them JUST so you and a few others (compared to all the other people they're catering to) can have your way -and for a luxury item at that- makes you all sound self-entitled. It may not be the case, but that's what it sounds like....which is tiresome to hear.
This.

If didn't sign the petetion, dip.

I'm just amazed at how much of an incredible jerk most of you posters can be because he likes a game controller, telling him to "move on" when honestly, y'all need to grow the **** up.
( Excluding those who didn't pop off like an angry child)

You guys think having a GC controller is a problem? If I remember correctly the Wii still used the controller. Hell, what if Nintendo decides to put GC games on virtual console? Good luck playing Super Mario Sunhine without pressure sensitive controllers. Unlike the classic controller and classic contrioller pro (which was an attempt to make the current one MORE like a GC controller), and the side Wii mote, the GC controller is it's own deal. So it's ok to remake an old controller and another one twice, but wanting a GC controller is a sin? Please.

Nintendo knows people will buy it, but they simply won't make it since they would lose money and oligopolies like GameStop will continue to take in money for used GC games and Wii games. From an economic standpoint it wouldn't cost that much to make; just produce less Nintendo peripherals that have not been purchased or ones that have saturated the market (ex. Wii balance board). Nintendo makes enough off of these ridiculous peripherals, it's just that these Nintendo fans are complacent and bend over the barrel to these supposed innovators.

The problem isn't wanting a GC controller, it's you bitter elitist gamers who feel that they need to be superior within a subculture. We are all gamers, because you play a certain way doesn't make you any better or worse, however, it makes you an *******, strait up. Did M2K come in here saying Melee is better, or implying that is a better game? No, he posted a link and you took the liberty to put words in his mouth before even attempting to make a logical assessment behind the petition.

Then again it was his own fault for coming to this part of smashboards. Half of you are gonna leave by the time the game comes out and the other half probably suck so bad that it doesn't matter which game or controller they use. If anyone has the right to post his opinions here it's Mew2King, who has done more with smash and the community than you ever would hope to, not some angry person who can't handle others personal preferences.
It wouldn't have mattered if M2K posted this here, Brawl, or heck, even the character discussion forums. We would still argue. Why? This is Smashboards, a forum. All of us have opinions, and they're bound to clash eventually. Isn't that why we came here in the first place, to discuss? It'd be boring if we all just agreed on everything. Wouldn't you agree?

Last edited by a moderator:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658

-Adding buttons=/= cosmetic. Playstation and Xbox remotes have been adding extra buttons pretty much for every controller, are those just "cosmetic" changes?
-Controllers =/= computers, the playstation and xbox consoles have barely changed their remotes, but for some reason it's fine for Nintendo to rehaul them every new generation.
-Well, people would want that supposed controller if it existed, But it doesn't and until then, people will be using their gcn remotes. There's no "can't get better" mentality here that you aren't imagining. Opinions are subject to change, if you haven't noticed.
-It's not a "luxury item", it's a way to play the game that has been used for 10+ years, and the only reason the controller was discontinued is because the Wii U doesn't support gcn ports, hence why it was selling up to the Wii U's launch.

Like i said before, if you're against signing the petition, Just leave. This thread was supposed to be about the petition, and not about People whining about other people wanting a new gcn style remote.

It wouldn't have mattered if M2K posted this here, Brawl, or heck, even the character discussion forums. We would still argue. Why? This is Smashboards, a forum. All of us have opinions, and they're bound to clash eventually. Isn't that why we came here in the first place, to discuss? It'd be boring if we all just agreed on everything. Wouldn't you agree?
Check M2k's profile, he posted the thread in just about every forum. This is the only one that exploded over it, so @ E Eternal phoenix Fire Is right.

mimgrim

Smash Hero

On a more serious note.

@ the people saying to stop whining and adapt to a newer controller compatible with the Wii-U. Those controllers are fine for a slower paced game or playing a faster paced game casually, but when getting into the competitive scene? Yea no, they suck simply because they are wireless. That's the biggest problem with your "better" controllers.

@ the person wanting a wired controller better then the GC. That sounds great in theory. But what if in practicality a worse controller was made? Many people consider the GC controller near perfect as it is. So what if this "better" controller that is made is actually worse? Why not instead just release a wired slightly updated version of the GC controller instead?

@ the people who just solely want the GCC and don't care about it being wired or not. What's the point then? The fact would still end up being that every first party controller on the Wii-U is wireless which means every controller on the Wii-U is less then viable because of all the problems wireless controllers can cause. It's pointless.

._.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Check M2k's profile, he posted the thread in just about every forum. This is the only one that exploded over it, so @ E Eternal phoenix Fire Is right.
I have and I found a few things:
1. Of all the threads, this is the one that got anywhere. Thus a lager window for backlash.
2. Yes, there where users with negative opinions about this. But no, not to this degree.

Though I still think we could just say adapters and move on...

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I agree. Lets hope that any new wired controller are EVEN MORE ergonimic, i.e. better and not the same

I dont think nintendo, or any reasonable company would add a seldom used feature (there's a reason none of the next gen have it) to a single controller for a single game, that every one who plays the game would need to have to be on an even playing field.

Got that right. Future tournament need a few hiccups as possible.

It really isnt in high demand. It's pretty much just some of the tournament goers who dont like or havent tries other control schemes.

Things to lose by making another gc controller instead of something better: money
Things to gain: adoration of the people who use gc controllers for one game on wii u
And I dont remember any one claiming your reasons, but those reasons dont automatically make the request reasonable, especially to a business. So it's they're not really disrespectful assumptions (at least the post I've bothered to read). That being said, anyone being unreasonable will be rode till the break of dawn and then some [puts on stirrups and @$$less chaps......and pants] =P
I suppose I overestimate the GC controller as an asset, and be sure that my comments about the judgement of our intentions are not directed at those who do not hold those judgements on our intentions.
If a better controller comes along that shares the important qualities outlines above, I will support it, but until then I will express my desire for a wired and well-designed controller. Perhaps they will be prompted to make it better?

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
So, is a controller that connects to the usb drive totally unfeasable?
The wii u has 4 usb 2.0 ports.
Also, how much delay is caused by wireless controllers (if there is any)
and can wireless controllers inputs be missed by the system?
(for example: holding the b button to do bowsers fire breath but suddenly he stops because the system thought that ya let go of b)

JediLink

Smash Ace
I only just realised that the OP is Mew2King :/

I signed the petition, not that I think it will really achieve anything. I'll probably just end up buying an adapter anyway because that's going to be much cheaper than buying a whole new controller.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
(for example: holding the b button to do bowsers fire breath but suddenly he stops because the system thought that ya let go of b)
As of now, yes. It is simply a charging port for the Wii U Pro controllers. Could they release a driver that turned it into a wired controller, yes. Will they? Probably not. It is possible for the system to miss inputs, but highly unlikely. There would have to be a lot of interference, which will only happen at large scale tournaments. Which is the biggest problem with current controllers.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
On input lag it usually varies from controller to controller, but usually as the juice in a wireless controller goes down, the reactiveness of the controller to the game does to. But there is more then just input lag that is the problem.

Now in a tourney scene it becomes a huge problem when ever controller that can be used is wireless and there are no wired options. Imagine multiple people trying to synch to different systems at the same time, yea lotsa problems there. Then due to the nature of wireless stuff, during all this synching you can have jerks who purposely try to interfere the tournament. Wireless only is bad, plain and simple.

And even if a way comes up to make the USB ports wired, unless it is done by Nintendo it is still moot because of the nature of 3rd party controllers being unreliable.

Wtf is wrong with the pro controller?
Wireless.

What's a Mew2King? Is it one of them new Pokemon all them kids are talking about?
Try getting into competitive Smash, then you will find out rather easily and fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom