• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All smashers, please fill this form out, for Gamecube controllers for smash 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
And this is why I've always loved the Sony systems. Never a drastic change to their controllers. Only either useful additions or no changes at all. Makes every game easy to play on every console without any bitchfests in the fanbase. XD

While I don't want a new Gamecube Controller myself, it makes perfect sense to me as to why so any people do. The layout design was great. Not just for Smash either, but for all of the Gamecube games and any games on the Wii that allowed it's use. Sonic Colors definitely comes to mind. But again, I see no issue with adapting to a new controller, either.

That said, the Wii U Pro Controller just SUCKS. It's uncomfortable to hold and the buttons and second joystick are just placed very oddly. It's like they only switched it so they could say it wasn't a total ripoff of the 360 controller (Original Controller Do Not Steal) when ironically enough, it would've been better if it was.

That said, I hate THAT controller too. XD

This is exactly why I bought a Classic Controller Pro 3 years ago in preparation for Smash 4. Since the Wii U still uses Wiimotes, Smash 4 will probably still support them as alternate controllers. If Custom Controls are still in the game too, then I can still use the button layout I set up to be similar to that of a Gamecube Controller and have literally no problem with Smash 4. If they aren't, then I'll just get used to the strange default layout again and be satisfied there.

I say that of you keep your options open, experiment and be patient, then trying a different controller for the next game is no big deal. On the other hand, if something works well, why stop using it? Changing for the sake of improvements is one thing, but change just for the sake of change? That's a very bad idea that could very easily backfire. If there's anything Nintendo needs to do, it's to follow a certain practice in different areas other than their games franchises. Particularly Mario. (Before 3D World)

And that practice is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Now, with all of that said, a new GC Controller for the Wii U won't hurt anyone that uses likes the CCP or the Wii U Pro (for whatever reason). People that like GC Controllers would get their wish and people who like everything else can still use everything else.

So long story short, instead of everyone fighting and arguing so much over something as silly as Gamecube Controllers vs Wii U Pro Controllers...

Let everyone be happy. It's dumb to argue over some silly controllers in the first place. They were made to sit in your hand and be played with violently and roughly until they can't take it anymore and wear out or fall apart at the seams. Not be the fuel for heated online debates and misguided nerd rage. They're hunks of plastic and wires for crying out loud! XD

C'mon, people. ¦D

That said, I don't see Ninty willingly making a GC Pro controller or anything on their own, but still. Let people want the things they want. They don't have to like and follow the same things and changes as you just because you say so. No matter how much you may be tired of them wanting something else, that doesn't invalidate their desires and thoughts. Live and let live, folks.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Wouldn't be surprised, they took it upon themselves to "fix" Brawl.
I'm assuming that you are referring to project m?
The creators of that mod never claimed, and in fact have disagreed with claims from various websites such as IGN, that their project was a "fix" for brawl.

Some people like to play mods such as project m as it adds variety to a game that is getting old. Just look at the hundreds of mods for minecraft, would you say that those mods "fix" minecraft?

Project m is simply an attempt to make the best smash game possible, taking the best aspects from every smash game and introducing some new and unique mechanics.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Project m is simply an attempt to make the best smash game possible, taking the best aspects from every smash game and introducing some new and unique mechanics.
Were it that everyone assumed the best intention for their fellow man and made no excuses for themselves. . .

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
When will people learn that online petitions NEVER work?

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Media backlash was the reason they changed their mind.
Regardless of guessing intentions, it is silly to think that petitions do not enter the consideration of any group. I have seen minds changed about the popular direction of a game before--decisions made based on feedback that is--PlanetSide 2 being one (A Sony game!), another was that C&C F2P game that was coming out (the whole thing was nixed because the internal testers at the beta stage said it was crap), another being Planetary Annihilation. Hell, I've even seen CoD changed because of a petition, and a mighty stupid one at that, disregarding the MW2 no dedicated servers debacle.
I grant that may have been Nintendo trying to just get out of the line of fire, but it is silly to think that companies don't listen to people's opinions and at least give them some modicum of consideration.
Petitions are a mere part of the whole consideration a company does. Sakurai even said that if the Reggie petition thing reaches 100,000 he'll consider it. Obviously, consider doesn't mean change, but to say that Nintendo disregards the opinions of its fans is ridiculous. In fact, to say any long-standing company doesn't listen is silly. They cater to a market, of course they want to make more sales, and a huge part of that is anticipation of future markets (the role of the entrepreneur) and fulfilling already established markets within their power.

Edit: I think the real lesson here is that the player's concerns are largely heard. I don't know about Nintendo specifically, but I've gotten the distinct feeling of being involved with the development of quite a few games and products via interaction on social media and through forums. My concerns were normally addressed and I went on my merry way. If they weren't, the game turned out to be doo-doo.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Regardless of guessing intentions, it is silly to think that petitions do not enter the consideration of any group. I have seen minds changed about the popular direction of a game before--decisions made based on feedback that is--PlanetSide 2 being one (A Sony game!), another was that C&C F2P game that was coming out, another being Planetary Annihilation. Hell, I've even seen CoD changed because of a petition, and a mighty stupid one at that, disregarding the MW2 no dedicated servers debacle.
I grant that may have been Nintendo trying to just get out of the line of fire, but it is silly to think that companies don't listen to people's opinions and at least give them some modicum of consideration.
Petitions are a mere part of the whole consideration a company does. Sakurai even said that if the Reggie petition thing reaches 100,000 he'll consider it. Obviously, consider doesn't mean change, but to say that Nintendo disregards the opinions of its fans is ridiculous. In fact, to say any long-standing company doesn't listen is silly, they cater to a market, of course they want to make more sales, and a huge part of that is anticipation of future markets (the role of the entrepreneur) and fulfilling already established markets within their power.
And how long did those take compared to Nintendo changing their minds literally hours after it went public EVO? Media backlash has had a much bigger impact then a mere petition. Just look at Microsoft and the Xbone, if it didn't get **** on as hard as it did they would've gotten away with it.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm assuming that you are referring to project m?
The creators of that mod never claimed, and in fact have disagreed with claims from various websites such as IGN, that their project was a "fix" for brawl.

Some people like to play mods such as project m as it adds variety to a game that is getting old. Just look at the hundreds of mods for minecraft, would you say that those mods "fix" minecraft?

I understand what it's about, trying to bring the back back to it's roots. But it does give a negative message towards Brawl, intentional or not. The unintentional message being it's broken, Brawl is unfinished. It wasn't good before, and we can make it better. I mean heck, I think some of the fans have forgot what is was. Some even calling it better than SSB4.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
And how long did those take compared to Nintendo changing their minds literally hours after it went public EVO? Media backlash has had a much bigger impact then a mere petition. Just look at Microsoft and the Xbone, if it didn't get **** on as hard as it did they would've gotten away with it.
They technically still did since all of the stuff they said they took out ended up showing up again anyway. ¦D

pitthekit

Smash Ace
And this is why I've always loved the Sony systems. Never a drastic change to their controllers. Only either useful additions or no changes at all. Makes every game easy to play on every console without any *****fests in the fanbase. XD

While I don't want a new Gamecube Controller myself, it makes perfect sense to me as to why so any people do. The layout design was great. Not just for Smash either, but for all of the Gamecube games and any games on the Wii that allowed it's use. Sonic Colors definitely comes to mind. But again, I see no issue with adapting to a new controller, either.

That said, the Wii U Pro Controller just SUCKS. It's uncomfortable to hold and the buttons and second joystick are just placed very oddly. It's like they only switched it so they could say it wasn't a total ripoff of the 360 controller (Original Controller Do Not Steal) when ironically enough, it would've been better if it was.

That said, I hate THAT controller too. XD

This is exactly why I bought a Classic Controller Pro 3 years ago in preparation for Smash 4. Since the Wii U still uses Wiimotes, Smash 4 will probably still support them as alternate controllers. If Custom Controls are still in the game too, then I can still use the button layout I set up to be similar to that of a Gamecube Controller and have literally no problem with Smash 4. If they aren't, then I'll just get used to the strange default layout again and be satisfied there.

I say that of you keep your options open, experiment and be patient, then trying a different controller for the next game is no big deal. On the other hand, if something works well, why stop using it? Changing for the sake of improvements is one thing, but change just for the sake of change? That's a very bad idea that could very easily backfire. If there's anything Nintendo needs to do, it's to follow a certain practice in different areas other than their games franchises. Particularly Mario. (Before 3D World)

And that practice is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Now, with all of that said, a new GC Controller for the Wii U won't hurt anyone that uses likes the CCP or the Wii U Pro (for whatever reason). People that like GC Controllers would get their wish and people who like everything else can still use everything else.

So long story short, instead of everyone fighting and arguing so much over something as silly as Gamecube Controllers vs Wii U Pro Controllers...

Let everyone be happy. It's dumb to argue over some silly controllers in the first place. They were made to sit in your hand and be played with violently and roughly until they can't take it anymore and wear out or fall apart at the seams. Not be the fuel for heated online debates and misguided nerd rage. They're hunks of plastic and wires for crying out loud! XD

C'mon, people. ¦D

That said, I don't see Ninty willingly making a GC Pro controller or anything on their own, but still. Let people want the things they want. They don't have to like and follow the same things and changes as you just because you say so. No matter how much you may be tired of them wanting something else, that doesn't invalidate their desires and thoughts. Live and let live, folks.
You're my hero.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Like I said, it's regardless of history, I take it on principle that petitions are just as valuable to a company as questionnaires or any other market data. If enough people sign it, then it will have some impact, that is a principle of the market.
Edit: Opposing this idea just because it takes the form of a petition is also something I find quite silly.

Ruthy

Smash Apprentice
My god, more terrible petitions that will never work.

You have have this thing to make the GC controller work, and even at my local Gamestop they sell this third party GC Controller that works like a classic controller.

Deku_Don

Smash Apprentice
If the Gamecube controller doesn't return in some way, I'm convinced the only crowd will be casuals.
I think if people are willing to invest, the pro controller will be a good replacement, in a way it'll be the only viable option since you can only have 1 (or 2 which alters game performance going off what they said a while ago) tablet per console and the wiimote is self explanatory.

(Saying that we don't know if the Wii classic controller will work with the game).

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
@ Muster Muster : I understand the demand for wired support either way but other than that
not completely true, recently Nintendo didn't allow smash to be in a particular stream, the uproar that happened over it; Nintendo changed their tune rather quickly.
Neither petitions or campaigns were main point of getting Smash back on EVO: It was simply an uproar the made the decision.

Plus petition sites are jokes that ANYBODY can make. We get too many of them already and 99% of them are from self-entitled, spoiled brats wanting it their way. Don't care what happened at EVO just prevent petition sites on SmashBoards.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I use the gamecube controller, but I can move on. Besides I like the new Wii U controller. Time to move on from the gamecube controller. Sorry kids.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I'm okay with the pro controller, just a few quirks it has

To get an understanding, I play 3D World and am trying to run it .... like speedrun it, so naturally I need to get a feel for fast paced gameplay.

The problem I have are the sticks. There is no feel to them like on the Gamecube, so you can feel out that you're doing a diagonal. That may prove to be an issue later. EDIT also I find myself loosing grip of them and holding on for dear life sometimes. If you know of some of the tricks in 3D World, you need control.

The C-Stick won't be too bad, if anything, it may help with tricks seeing as it's close to the shoulder buttons and grab buttons. My gameplay experience has shown that may help with button configuration for unknown techs that may come into play

The buttons are another thing. They're so small!!! Maybe I'm just used to the GC controller, but it can get annoying when I press x or a slightly while pressing y or b. Perhaps it's my big fingers .... no comment

But we will see how it goes. Hopefully with the addition of a bumper on the left, pivot grabs will be easier to do.

EDIT the problem with trying to get a Gamecube controller is that the game will still be programmed to think it's a pro controller or game-pad. This means that your L and R buttons won't act as they are on the GameCube, as you will need to press down completely to put up your shield. There are also extra buttons on the new controller ( -, left Z button) so if they are integrated into new moves that are unknown as of now, the gamecube controller won't be compatible to it. We've got to move on eventually.

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I signed it, but I'm indifferent really, and part of me knows the chances of the GCN controller coming back are slim, since it's Nintendo we're talking about.

Is the Wii U Pro controller not that good? I don't use one since I've adapted to the Game Pad for the games I currently have quite fine except maybe Pikmin 3.

EDIT - Plus, who knows, maybe there will be some sort of mechanics in SSB4 that will give the Game Pad a perk as well.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Other fighting game communities are obsessed with fight sticks, as many people originally played fighting games in the arcade, so I can see how wanting to use a gamecube controller like we have been using for the past 12 years may seem like a necessity.
I don't see the point of bugging nintendo to make an official controller though, especially when there already exists a gamecube controller compatible with the wii u that you can order online.

http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Nintendo-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-Wii/dp/B00BS520SG
What helps with arcade sticks is that they allow for you to not adjust between most sticks when playing on different consoles. The layout is the same so long as the stick manufacturer is the same.

Even then, we have to buy new ones for this gen.

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
Signed it, even though I've been slowly transitioning to Wii remote and nunchuck with success.

Also donated $100 so 458 potential supporters would see it too (Joking.)

nessokman

Smash Lord
No, it doesn't. Melee is not the only game in the world that utilizes the GCN controller. Brawl did as well, and Brawl plays nothing like Melee (wavedashing, L-canceling, etc.) aside from the obvious Smash fundamentals.

It does have to do with people not adapting to change, but it's not exclusively a fault of Melee.
How foolish. People obsession and inability to leave melee caused this whole GC issue, ONLY SMASH FANS CARE! People aren't begging for a GC controller for ANY other game on Wii u! Only smash! It's not about how other games utilized the controller, it's about SMASH FANS being obsessed with old controller schemes.

No brawl was never gonna have a large tourney scene due to having a low tech skill and many other gameplay reasons. People who played street fighters and watched someone play melee were amazed at how much skill was being used(particular fox) but when they see brawl it is a slow, celebral game with a lack of hit stun which is bad for the pros and casuals( casuals liked that in melee they could do cool combos to each other.)

I am glad smash 4 will be faster than brawl and a bit slower than melee combining tech skill and celebral play. Now we need to forgot about brawl and hope that smash 4 will be great

ok so is light shielding deconfirmed? I mean you can't add pressure.
never in my life have I heard a street fighter player say that. Brawl could easily have had a large scale competitive scene. Had the melee crowd moved on (or at least played both), brawl would have a big competitive scene. People just said "OMG ITS NOT MELEE IT SUCKS!"

Had they played brawl competitively, it could have been different. Melee-or-die fans are holding this series back from what it could be.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
List of phrases that hold back franchises:
"If it's not 2D/Adventure Sonic, it sucks"
"If it's not Melee, it sucks"
"I want another Super Mario 64"
"Bring the GCN controller back"
"Gen I's the best Pokemon Gen"

There's such a thing as moving on, people.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord

Thank you! Finally some common sense.

salaboB

Smash Champion

As long as what we're moving on to is actually an improvement. Or at least not a step backwards.

Both of the Wii specific controllers are steps down in effectiveness (Due to poor quality sticks, awkward button placements, and/or lack of available buttons) from the GC controller for use with Brawl. I don't think the Wii U has this issue though, so it should be fine to finally move on.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658

Because the ps4 and xbox one remotes are being held back due to their similarity to previous remotes right?
wrong. Gcn remote is a preference of button location and trigger shoulder buttons (that both other consoles now have, mind you). Preference of how a remote is laid out is a completely different category from preference of older/newer games. All they want is to be able to play smash comfortably like they have for the past 13 years, is that a crime?

You're all seriously getting hot and bothered over a petition for a gcn style remote. seriously, what's so bad about it? is the existence of this controller going to physically or mentally harm you? is Nintendo actually having the same style of controller usable for 3 console generations going against all of your beliefs as a gamer?

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
Sad people can't deal with change.
As long as what we're moving on to is actually an improvement. Or at least not a step backwards.

Both of the Wii specific controllers are steps down in effectiveness (Due to poor quality sticks, awkward button placements, and/or lack of available buttons) from the GC controller for use with Brawl. I don't think the Wii U has this issue though, so it should be fine to finally move on.
The classic controller isn't poor at all. It works fine.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Sad people can't deal with change.

The classic controller isn't poor at all. It works fine.
It doesn't feel nearly as precise, I have all kinds of issues getting the moves I want to activate when I want them to on it.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I might look into the nyko one, assuming ssb4 lets you customize your buttons i'll switch B and A though, reaching right from standard attack to do a special attack is not what anybody here is looking for

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

You forgot Final Fantasy VII.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
That top one is a 3rd party brand though.They tend to have a history of breaking or not performing. If anyone wants to get that I'd recommend doing some research and reading reviews.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

OH...so the Wiimote+Nunchuk combo has awkward button placement? That controller setup has one finger on each button at all times. The Classic Controller Pro's amazing too, it has all the buttons of standard controllers and the letter buttons are in normal places, not the Gamecube's weird A-centric setup...seriously, a single look at the GCN controller lets you know that it's a very experimental design, and I don't see what's so wrong with the shoulder buttons being actual buttons.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
OH...so the Wiimote+Nunchuk combo has awkward button placement? That controller setup has one finger on each button at all times. The Classic Controller Pro's amazing too, it has all the buttons of standard controllers and the letter buttons are in normal places, not the Gamecube's weird A-centric setup...seriously, a single look at the GCN controller lets you know that it's a very experimental design, and I don't see what's so wrong with the shoulder buttons being actual buttons.
Yes the experimental design worked with it's amazing ergonomic design. People won't move on from game cube controller unless it is absolutely obsolete which in this case - is not. Nintendo needs to step up there controller design.

Necrojinsei

Smash Cadet
For those against the idea of the controller, are you the kind of people who criticize speed runners because it takes fun out of the game? Do you criticize your friends and family for liking things that you don't like or understand? I like to watch old black and white movies for their amazing story and acting. Sure I will watch new ones but to have that old option there makes it simply better over all. Should I stop watching these because "dude that's 20 years old get over it already"? Why are you criticizing people for wanting something that they are used to? Why should you care that we prefer something else? Just because you like something we don't or or likewise doesn't mean you should try to stop it. I always find it rude to criticize people because of their choices when it comes down to preference. Feel free to express your own opinion when it doesn't come to bashing others.

On a side not, not totally related to the controller.
"its 13 years let it go"
That's right you should not try to remember your household pets, your friends, or your family, its not like their here. You should especial not remember those fond memories you had when you were younger, that was years ago, right? Let me ask you this. Do you have that one thing you have nostalgia for? That one stuffed animal, that one toy, the old place you used to hang out at? Why are you telling us to lose what we have just because you don't feel the same. It's a reminder to people of their childhood, simpler times, easier lives. To relive those moments means a lot to people, its their preference, its there want. Why on earth do you have the right to tell them to stop if it is not hurting anyone?

In regards to those who are saying the brawl tourney scene would have been large had it not been for the melee enthusiasts. What don't you get about preference? Were they supposed to go into a more slow paced, relaxed game to go and use over something that they prefer? Melee was a competitive game, it attracted competitive people Brawl was design for casual and open play, therefore it attracted such a crowd. This crowd doesn't like the competition scene, so why on earth would it be the case that it should have been a large tourney scene?

You people need to stop living in the past an move the hell on. I'm do tired of these idiotic topics saying "BOO HOO I can't handle change!Give me more of the same!"

This is the biggest load of crap I've ever seen, melee is 13 years ago, congrats on keeping it alive! Let it die so future games can get this kind of enjoyment.

People not accepting change is the reason Brawl has such a tiny tourney scene.It isn't that it's not competitive,it's because these meleetards couldn't accept the change. Because such a large portion of the community was stuck in the past, it held brawl back. Brawl could have an amazing tourney scene if people weren't so melee crazed.

Going even to the level of modding brawl to make it a melee clone? Pathetic! It saddens me people are that desperate to hold on to the old ways.

This thread might as well be locked. I've already seen at least three of these threads already, and each and every petition fails.
Can I ask, if it is that they are stuck in the old then why is it that many of those "meleetards" moved on to the superior Project M? It's not a clone, its an improvement of brawl. It's made for competition, therefor those competitive people will move to it. This is improvement, they are going for something new, they are going to something they enjoy, why do you have the right to talk trash about what people like? Project M allows all that was good about brawl and them some, adding characters, cool costumes, great stages, music, and even game modes. It saddens me to see people who will blindly criticize things that others have put their heart and soul into without even a reason then not liking it yourself. Why should I move on to a game you deam suitable when it comes to me liking something else? I don't get your point of view.

Please explain to me the concept of killing old games to allow enjoyment of newer ones? Those that worked a lot around melee moved on to brawl to change it to be something new and improved. The scene around melee moved to brawl in the fashion of changing its content and its physics. Your contradicting yourself when you say to move on to the new when blindly criticizing the new that was created from those that loved the old. They have moved on. They have given the fun to the new game of brawl and mods. The old will not die because we learn from what happened before and in doing so we choose what we like remove what we don't, and we create something entirely new and better then those before it.

Project M is your definition of new things. Your criticizing the new while complaining that people are latching on the the old. Please explain to me how Project M is not an improvement to both games.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
If you want to play Melee with a Gamecube controller: get out your Gamecube, pop Melee in, plug in a Gamecube controller, play Melee, and then be happy.
I actually did this last night and had a blast! :p

is Nintendo actually having the same style of controller usable for 3 console generations going against all of your beliefs as a gamer?
Actually, if it's in conflict with Nintendo's philosophy and beliefs, then yes it is. If Nintendo or Sakurai felt that a GameCube controller would be necessary for their console or game, then they would have made one or already had plans to make one. All a petition will do is tell Nintendo that a small group of people may be interested in it. Like Reggie said in the article, 100,000 signatures doesn't necessarily mean 100,000 sales.

It's true that both Melee and Brawl were designed around the GameCube controller, as Sakurai has been shown playing Brawl with that controller. In fact, Sakurai can play multiple characters at once in this fashion. And if he can pull that off with a Wii U Pro Controller (as he did back at E3), there's no reason that the rest of us can't use that control scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom